Nathan Patterson Take A Bow

He was very good. It was pleasing to see how confident he is. There were a couple of occasions when he made the wrong decision, but that will definitely improve as he matures. Great athlete,quick and very comfortable on the ball.

He had a good debut.
It will be interesting to see who starts v St Mirren with Tynecastle looming?
Last night I'd have preferred Flanagan over Halliday simply to get him some minutes in his legs,there really was no point playing Andy last night imo.

Far too slow at times in finding Patterson who took some great positions in attacking areas wide right. Jack and Davis were turning back, slowing the game down and playing it out to Halliday instead (for some strange reason).

Lad showed some nice touches, always looked for the ball and some really impressive delivery. Stranraer make the challenge he does and player avoids a booking.

Nah not good enough, him and Kai need to be bombed out until they get haircuts befitting our great club.

In all seriousness, very promising player and I hope he keeps his place with Tav out.

Last night was a strange one for me. What it showed was he 100% has the capability of being out right back for the next decade. Don't know if that was ever in doubt but it's the first real chance I have managed to watch him close.

Because I was watching him so close I ended up picking faults in his game and it made me realise that we can't throw him in without the correct prep.

St Mirren at Ibrox, give him a chance. If it works then he keeps the Jersey for hearts away (biggest game of our season IMO). If it doesn't work the Flanagan or Polster comes in.

Glad to see we are bringing youth academy players through that fit the style of the team. His positional sense in an attacking way was almost identical to Tavernier. Good to watch and an excellent debut.

He did ok, but wasn't tested defensively and wasn't anywhere near the quality that Tav brings going forward. It was the same with Halliday on the left, did ok, but really brings in to focus what Barisic is giving us.

Playing effectively a junior side last night I personally dont think he or anyone else can take anything from it other than that we are through.

Good for him to play at Ibrox and find his feet hopefully if we need him.

It was really an awful game of football :D

For the first 60 minutes he was pretty much our best player. Tired quickly after that. But overall a superb debut.

I don’t expect we’ll see him on Wednesday, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we do.

His dad and uncle were with us in the Grapes after the game and they were rightly proud of their boy.

Even they (and Nathan) know he's got a good bit to go before he's at Tav's level, but he's at least proved that he's a real talent and has genuine potential.

There will be bigger tests ahead, but he's got everything you want in a modern full back, with pace, delivery, athleticism, but he can also defend and is strong in the tackle and aggressive.

On a side note, they were saying last night how Nathan had been full of praise for Defoe and Arfield and how they took him under their wing in Dubai and talked him through the game last night.

He'll fill out, as his dad and uncle are built like brick shit houses and he's from good Rangers stock.

He's a good professional too and was straight home to his bed after the game, exhausted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good crosses and passes and intelligent reading of the game. Didn’t really get much indication of whether he can tackle obviously. Looked decent running with the ball but substantially short of Tav’s composure. For now. It may well come.

Impressed by what we saw but need to see how he does against a proper challenge.

Like St. Mirren.

Imagine having the audacity to have an opinion. Bolt
Elaborate on your opinion? Thought he was our best player in the first half. Didn’t shy away from the ball, always wanted it, put in some great crosses, wasn’t really caught in possession, played some good passes, 18 year old playing in front of 38k people on television stranraer or not the boy done brilliantly. To say he was poor in the first half you clearly don’t know much about football, which is my opinion ;)

Very very encouraging debut for the boy, looks like he has a real chance to be a regular in the not too distant future.

Love to see youth players get a chance. He wasnt shy either seen plenty of the ball had lots of space on the wing, almost got an assist which defoe should have finished. I hope he starts against st Mirren. The boy kennedy looked like he could be another good prospect. Stuff of dreams for the 2 youngsters

I thought he done well at times and the crowd was behind him but let's be honest if Tav had a game like that the knives would be out from the usual folk. Let's not get carried away.

It was an excellent debut, I was surprised by his engine for an 18 year old late in the game.

Last night also showed how much influence Tav and Borna have in the whole dynamic of the teams play.

He really won't.
Maybe I got slightly carried away but for me all of the raw attributes are there.

Maybe not this season, but he’ll be Tav’s long term successor if he gets his head down and continues to learn.

It’s safe to say we have the two best right backs in Scotland.

This

The lad played well but let’s not get carried away.
It was only Stranraer but he did look keen to try and get on the front foot, could have easily kept things safe all night and played simple square balls.

The real test for him is when one of the league's many hatchetmen tries to rough him up, eager to see how he copes with that side of the game. Hopefully he's safe in the knowledge that's there's a good few around him who will be happy to sort the guy out for him

Well done Nathan. A very encouraging debut.

Great to see the young lad Kennedy coming on as well. Had hoped he would of got a bit longer though.

solid debut to build on

always fantastic to see one of the youngsters step up

hopefully he has a taste for it gets the head down and keeps pushing

Agreed. Patterson was lively to actively show what he can potentially bring to the team. Halliday played his usual, which shows what he 'brings' to the team.
This is what I cannot understand with Andy. He's as big a bear as any of us apparently but every time he gets into the team he looks as if he's determined to prove that he knows best and effectively phuks it up. I'm positive Gerrard's remarks last night were principally aimed at Halliday, just after saying he was disappointed in experienced players he went right to praising the other full back.

Until he gets a proper haircut he is not rangers class and should be never play for the club again!

Old fart short back and sides loyal. :) Looked good but not really a good test.
Is it a style? 2 staff in my local tesco in clarkston have the exact same hair cut

from what I saw, he looked very composed. Nice range of crossing and passing and showed a great desire to get forward.

Agreed! It was the perfect game to get him and KK in for some game time. With our strength and quality these guys had more of a chance to go out and show their stuff. Early days but very good and what a boost for both them and the rest of the youth players.

It is only Stranraer but when a boy of 18 can put in that sort of performance going forward you have to question Barker, Ojo and Jones

not one of them looked interested when they were on and not one of them beat a man
Agree, except the Ojo bit - he did bring energy and I think he still does a job for us

Excellent game from the young guy, very composed too. Good to see Kennedy getting a run out as well.

A few takeaways for him tonight; the atmosphere in front of a crowd, he needs to release quickly, he wont always get time to put a name on it and dont foul for foul’s sake.

i think there is opportunity in this team;ok, we’re aiming for our first title in 9 years but guys like Ojo and Airibo are there for the taking.
Who is airibo

Great to see Nathan get his chance;and even better to see him take that opportunity with confidence,and no little ability.
After seeing him down in Solihull for the Colts,he was a standout in a huge win for a junior team against men.
He has exactly the right mentors in Steven Gerrard and his coaching staff,there is little doubt he can go to the very top.
I`m delighted for him.

Thought the lad done really well. Not always easy with ten defenders in the box but the boy managed to get some decent crosses into the box. Not to mention he also had a great effort at goal near the end. Good on the boy.

Thought he has a good game.
Nothing ibg really to do in a sense of defending. Couple of rash challenges which he will learn from with experience.

Can tell he has been learning from Tav goi g forward. Get the ball out of your feet and get it in. Some cracking deliveries from him. Especially the one Defoe just couldn't get ob the end of.

Hopefully SG will now give youth a chance as although the opposition was poor he did contribute and was a positive in a stuffy game.

Back