Nathan Patterson tonight

He'd a great game tonight, especially considering he's been injured and sidelined recently but he's nowhere near as influential on the park as Tav.
That's not in any way a criticism of him, it's just a fact.

Out of interest what did you think he did that was 'great'?

Out of interest what did you think he did that was 'great'?
I take it that's a serious question?
He was energetic, made a few good tackles, sent some lovely crosses into the box and had an all round accomplished performance.
Is that not enough?

Agree about being energetic and direct, but he lost possession a lot, got caught under the ball and his decision making wasn't great. Still has a fair bit to go for me.
Fair comment and as I said earlier, he's still got a bit to go before he can make a serious claim for Tav's jersey but I still genuinely think he showed again tonight that he's a special talent and should be admired, nurtured and encouraged.

Honestly, I thought he looked raw and I can see why the manager hasn't been throwing him in to the first team more. But if he can knuckle down and work in his game the way Bassey has, he'll be a top player. His running gives him a real shot.

Still think Everton or another English side with probably offer money for him in January transfer window
but don't think it will be enough
just my opinion
Patterson is the very epitome of what the club is trying to produce...exciting young talent that has every chance to become a regular Rangers 1st team player, excel in that role and either stay to become a Rangers Legend or be sold for an astronomical fee.
For me, Patterson has the potential to do either of these things!
To sell him in the near future would prohibit either of them happening so unless someone comes up with some seriously silly money, he'll stay put!

Great player, the desire to lose go forward is unbelievable, almost Hutton-eske, looked the part defensively too, only issue is our captain takes his postion. I think that’s one of the contributing factors to Tav upping his game recently, only good!

Honestly, I thought he looked raw and I can see why the manager hasn't been throwing him in to the first team more. But if he can knuckle down and work in his game the way Bassey has, he'll be a top player. His running gives him a real shot.
Don't forget he's only 19 yo!
He's still just a pup learning his trade!
Give him a couple of years learning his trade under Tavernier and Gerrard and getting increased game time at Rangers and you're looking at a player where the sky's the limit.
He's already an International player (ok, I know it's only Scotland) but it just proves his potential!

I hope he continues to start matches, when appropriate for the level of opposition.

I do however fear that he will become frustrated with his first team game time & could be tempted elsewhere to crack-on.

Patterson is the very epitome of what the club is trying to produce...exciting young talent that has every chance to become a regular Rangers 1st team player, excel in that role and either stay to become a Rangers Legend or be sold for an astronomical fee.
For me, Patterson has the potential to do either of these things!
To sell him in the near future would prohibit either of them happening so unless someone comes up with some seriously silly money, he'll stay put!
I agree with your points but for me Patterson is our second choice right back and will be for this season and probably next.
If we get decent money in for him (8-10 million) as rumoured that would go a long wait to filling a hole in the accounts and wouldn’t affect the quality of the starting 11.

The amount of space he had in first half we should have been zipping balls into his stride but instead it was too often a pass that trickled to him or behind him. You could tell he just wanted to bomb on but the balls were not er often enough for him to do it.

Disappointing he picked up a wee niggle.
Agreed. That slow ball out to him in the 1st half was driving me mental, seemed to take an age to reach him each time, by then the momentum of the move is lost.

Lets be honest folk on here that take their own opinion way too seriously would have been picking faults no matter what happened or how he performed last night. Im sure even Tav finds that stuff pathetic.

1st half he was very good and 2nd half possibly tired or picked up a few knocks or whacks.

At a time when we lack energy and spend too much time pissing around he drives us forward always wants to be involved. The boy is a terrific player, hes going to get better with more games, we should be delighted hes ours and give the playground crap a rest.

A breath of fresh air last night for me.

But I’ll always go back to the same thing - either Tav or Patterson will have their Rangers career cut short next summer. I’d be surprised if there’s a scenario where we keep both happy beyond them summer.

His touch and passing wasn’t 100% tonight (compared to his usual high standard)

But I actually thought his energy and quick thinking helped speed the game up. I think Tav is too comfortable playing in front of sides at times and Nathan is a bit more aggressive in his approach.

Tonight was a bit of a milestone in NP’s career tonight IMO the fans can see he actually is human. He wasn’t great tonight but managed to contribute to a hard earned victory.
I think we need to appreciate that he is coming back after an injury too.

Same for a few others who have had injuries and those who have had a bout of covid, is going to take time to get paid fitness.

But we are not patient

Same for a few others who have had injuries and those who have had a bout of covid, is going to take time to get paid fitness.

But we are not patient

That's the thing.

We need to remember how many first team games he's actually played and cut him a bit of slack.

He will become an outstanding full back for us, but people need to stop comparing him to Tav, as he's not quite there yet, but he will be, in the not too distant future.

Let him develop, without trying to shoe horn him into the team, at the expense of the best right back to play in Scotland since Gary Stevens.

Nathan has the potential to be better than either of them.

But we are not patient
Fans aren’t patient, but I’m not sure how patient Patterson will be either.

Those bids from Everton won’t have gone unnoticed sadly, he knows he’s being admired from a much higher (and wealthier) level.

First 15 mins he was really good.

Then people (mainly Goldson) started passing the ball behind him and passing slow which made him stop and have to run back to intercept. Slowed down his game play but was probably done to limit the amount of mistakes and misplaced passes that would happen.

He’s been poor this season when played, imo.

No harm in that, he’s a kid, but as above, he’s not Tav. There is a reason he’s not starting games week in week out.

He’ll surpass him, but at this time, just keep doing what he’s doing. He’s got all the attributes.

I love him. A fan in a team is just great to see.

Needs time to develop his end product. It's lacking. Tav is well ahead at the moment as being our first choice RB. Alot of work for Nathan to do. In general he hasn't looked great when played this season.

If we're being honest, he looked energetic - especially the first 10/15 minutes but after that he was woeful. He lost the ball just about every time he was on it.

I know he's a young Rangers fan so everyone wants him to do well but if Tav had turned in that performance there'd be numerous threads absolutely slaughtering him.

He's only 19 so his end product and decision making will come.

Bassey on the other side was far better (again) and deserves to keep his place.
Woeful? That's simply not true, he was fine a 7/10 performance.
This Tav/Patterson debate has entrenched your opinion, seems to me that you cannot see the wood for the trees and simply see what you want to see.
Patterson brings an energy to the side. His first thought is to drive at the opposition, his passing is crisp and accurate, he'll commit defenders more often than not.
Tav is certainly the more effective of the two in delivery into the box.
We're lucky to have a talent like Patterson at the club just as we are with the captain.

He had a great first 10 minutes then we stopped passing to him. Took a sore one in the second half and struggled on before coming off.
That's just not true. He saw plenty of the ball all first half but did very little except pass backwards inside. Don't know if he was carrying a knock but he didn't do anything much going forward. We were better when Tav came on.

As much as i rate him etc and think he is going to be our future RB infront of Tav..

He shown again last night that he is not fully ready to fill his shirt yet, Tav is still by far our best RB.

Started extremely brightly and should've scored but started to fade which is fair given the lack of game time he's had and the shift he put in.

Replaced by Tav at the correct time.

That's the thing.

We need to remember how many first team games he's actually played and cut him a bit of slack.

He will become an outstanding full back for us, but people need to stop comparing him to Tav, as he's not quite there yet, but he will be, in the not too distant future.

Let him develop, without trying to shoe horn him into the team, at the expense of the best right back to play in Scotland since Gary Stevens.

Nathan has the potential to be better than either of them.

Great post. People will naturally compare him and Tav as they're both right backs but it's not exactly a fair comparison. Patterson is only 19 and without having seen Tav at that age I'd hazard a guess Patterson is better than Tav was at that stage.

I thought he did very well. More athletic than Tav and it showed, he broke the lines well. Early chance for him to score, key part of the Morelos chance that was cleared off the line. Fell away in the second but that's going to happen at his age.

I thought he did very well. More athletic than Tav and it showed, he broke the lines well. Early chance for him to score, key part of the Morelos chance that was cleared off the line. Fell away in the second but that's going to happen at his age.

I'd say Patterson and Bassey are the 2 most naturally athletic players at the club.

You can see Tavernier is his mentor. Both are fine players we are lucky to have two superb options at right back

An excellent piece of defending in the first half when he read the game superbly, tucked into a central position, remained strong and held off Shinnie (I think?). Fails to deal with that after Goldson and Balogun are out of position and it’s an opportunity for Livingston to steal the lead.

His run where he burst into the box was excellent. Similar to Bassey in the 1st half where he brought the ball down, drove into the box and lashed it over the bar.

Can see Patterson is just back from injury and there were a few strong challenges on him - Hagi too.

Both Patterson and Bassey are right behind Tavernier and Barišić who let’s be honest, are not firing on all cylinders.

Agree with OP. Ive been championing NP coming in to give us a pit of pace, drive and ability to commit defenders. However i will admit tonight he looked rusty. His passing and decision making wasnt up to scratch.

Some times you have those off nights

Woeful? That's simply not true, he was fine a 7/10 performance.
This Tav/Patterson debate has entrenched your opinion, seems to me that you cannot see the wood for the trees and simply see what you want to see.
Patterson brings an energy to the side. His first thought is to drive at the opposition, his passing is crisp and accurate, he'll commit defenders more often than not.
Tav is certainly the more effective of the two in delivery into the box.
We're lucky to have a talent like Patterson at the club just as we are with the captain.

That's what everyone is doing on here because Patterson is a young Rangers fan though. If we took off the blue tinted specs for a minute, last night wasn't a good performance.

I like his drive and how direct he is, but there were a lot of times last night where he cheaply gave the ball away with a slack pass or a bad touch. The one where he ended up just launching it over the bar...no idea if it was a cross or a shot.

I get that people are eager to see a youth academy product in the team more but I think Patterson's performances so far have shown that he needs to bide his time.

I'd say Patterson and Bassey are the 2 most naturally athletic players at the club.
By a mile. As a team we really lack pace, it comes from these two and kent when he is fully fit, our midfield in particular for me needs a runner who can drive in behind teams to finish chances , Arfield can no longer do it unfortunately but someone in that style of Durrant is what we are crying out for

By a mile. As a team we really lack pace, it comes from these two and kent when he is fully fit, our midfield in particular for me needs a runner who can drive in behind teams to finish chances , Arfield can no longer do it unfortunately but someone in that style of Durrant is what we are crying out for
I’m still hoping Arfield has a part to play this season,it’s probably more difficult for him to get up to speed as he’s older and not getting enough games to get him there.
I’m not giving up on him.

Looked to try too hard couple times seemed that eager to bomb in he ran that fast the ball was behind him on a couple of occasions haha

Patterson did ok last night. Hasn’t ever had a bad game for us. Huge potential, but hasn’t done enough to edge Tav out yet IMO.

Bassey on the other hand has a legitimate claim to be the starting left back. His final ball/delivery isn’t as polished as Barisic which is the only thing holding him back. But at the moment he looks much fitter, sharper and more dangerous than Barisic.

We're between a rock and a hard place with young Patterson.

Playing him occasionally means he doesn't get into the rhythm of regular games and struggles to be match sharp. Playing him more often means we drop our best right back more.

And that's not including the fact the best right back is also the team captain.

Just hope we find the right balance as Patterson is as good a teenage Rangers first team player as we've had for many years.

He’s a confident young man and it was great to hear the fans giving him lots of support and encouragement even when he wasn’t at his best.

His time will come and he will go on to be a Rangers legend if he stays with us, maybe captain material.
However if last night proved anything, the endless drivle on here and social media of moving Tav to midfield to accommodate him must surely stop.

Give the lad time and it will all be great but sorry, he has a trade to learn and he will.

Good managers know how integrate young players. Gerrard himself knows fine well that your a hero one minute and villain the next.

Patterson looks as though he's being managed at the right pace and right on the cusp of being a first choice. Unfortunately, it looks as though Everton have also recognised that potential.

We should go all to keep him. Both he and Bassey look as though they'll become magnificent players.

Agree about being energetic and direct, but he lost possession a lot, got caught under the ball and his decision making wasn't great. Still has a fair bit to go for me.

£8 million should have been accepted to invest in a major signing either January or Summer

Good managers know how integrate young players. Gerrard himself knows fine well that your a hero one minute and villain the next.

Patterson looks as though he's being managed at the right pace and right on the cusp of being a first choice. Unfortunately, it looks as though Everton have also recognised that potential.

We should go all to keep him. Both he and Bassey look as though they'll become magnificent players.
We'll struggle to keep Patterson whatever we do.

If he doesn't get enough game time, he'll want to move on.
If he gets regular game time we're gonna get a offer we simply cannot refuse.
I'd like to see him maximise our return, that means significant game time.

The vast majority of the time it is a hard, hard ask for a young player to be better than the player in the starting jersey, clearly it can happen, but it is really hard

At the moment the only justification for starting Patterson before Tav is his age, little else more than that

This is all easy to say with hindsight but 8 million for him with 6 going back into the team would have left us in a far better place.

Him and Bassey both had really good energy about them in the first half and were probably the only two that did.

Don’t think either young fullback should be starting ahead of Tav and Barisic. If Barisic was to leave next summer I’d be hoping we sign a new left back as I just don’t see it with Bassey.

He ran his heart out and gave 100% last night. Seemed knackered when he came off so it was a good substitution

Back