Nathan Patterson

One thing that stood out for me was the other players were looking for him straight away whereas they seem to ignore Odonell free on the right several times. It shows the confidence they have in Nathan.
Yep. That was clear as day. The players all know he is pish.

God I hope Celtic sign this crock of shite.
But that probably just cements his place in this Scotland side further under Clarke.

Felt disappointed for him. Cant believe O'Donnell was picked ahead of him. That will be the last of that though.
Clark is just a stubborn Dhim lover, he’d rather damage results than not back his own.

Nathan is too progressive for Clark, a real give and go wingback. Clark prefers crab football, side to side stuff.

One thing that stood out for me was the other players were looking for him straight away whereas they seem to ignore Odonell free on the right several times. It shows the confidence they have in Nathan.

It’s very noticeable that players pass to O’Donnell as a last resort, it’s almost reluctance to give him the ball

Patterson was willing to try and take players on, few nice touches and defensively sound. How can everyone see it, including Celtic fans, yet Clarke has a blind spot?

Patterson should have played the boy is an athlete who can run and take a man on. As for Dykes getting all that game time what planet was Clarke on.

Thats my point mate Clarke should give these boys a chance.. like Patterson, Gilmour (in first game) and Turnbull tonight.

Odonnell is ahead of Patterson as it stands which in most peoples opinions shouldn't be so who Clarke has ahead of a player isnt really a good judgement imo.
Clarke should have picked the best players for positions

That doesn’t include Turnbull.

My point wasn’t there are magically undeserving players ahead of him. My point was there are at least 6 central midfielders who are genuinely better players. That cannot be said of Patterson.

If he’s got 2 DMs behind him and 3 CBs who are picking up 1 guy, I’m pretty sure we could have afforded to have Turnbull in the middle of the park

It sums up the Scottish mentality that we’re more concerned about defensive shape than having someone who’s able to change the game offensively and create chances
Our own management team are very concerned about defensive shape - it was the basis of our title win.

I would have played Turnbull tonight too. Or put Cooper into cb and pushed McTominey on. Have McGinn man mark Modric and just stay on him try stop him playing.

Clarke is a shitebag and his shitebag mentality in first game cost us.
Clarke still thinks he is the Killie manager.

the tactics are, keep it tight, break up the game, commit foul after foul, hoof it up the park and hope to steal a goal
Pretty much as we seen Killie under him do to us a few times.

unfortunately for the mug last night, he came up against technically gifted players who were too smart for them

Last edited:
Even 2 of the 3 CBs were a midfielder and a lest back.
The nugget played with only 1 recognised CB.
He is a Fukin idiot

Fore-said but ultimately they were set up as a back 3 with the understanding McTominey/Tierney would pick up midfield runners/step forward when they’re spare man on the ball

There is zero need for a block of 6 players centrally like that, so we could afford to have a player who plays between midfield/forwards

Clarke is a complete fucking moron

Definitely a tricky situation. The lad is ready to start playing every week. How do we achieve that?
No matter what anybody says it won’t help his development . Sitting on the bench waiting for the fittest most consistent player we have , to get injured or lose form .

Surely some competitive game time is better than none, keeps him match fit if nothing else.

I personally don’t see the benefit, he’d still be involved in bounce games at training etc but playing against glorified amateurs won’t help in anyway

I think he’d get more out of doing cardio work in the gym tbh, wouldn’t risk him against lowland players. Only caveat is I’d consider playing against Celtic because they’d play elite youths too

I personally don’t see the benefit, he’d still be involved in bounce games at training etc but playing against glorified amateurs won’t help in anyway

I think he’d get more out of doing cardio work in the gym tbh, wouldn’t risk him against lowland players. Only caveat is I’d consider playing against Celtic because they’d play elite youths too
Not a fan of the colts concept in general or just Patterson?

Not a fan of the colts concept in general or just Patterson?

Just Paterson, I think he’s far too good for that level and don’t see any benefit

Generally speaking I’d have preferred the B team to play elite friendlies rather than competitive football against junior/amateur players though I’m led to believe it’ll be 16-18 year old playing. If that’s the case, a year of competitive football playing the “rangers way” will benefit more than going up low league Scottish teams on loan

I just hope we find a way to still play the elite friendlies because I think it’s more beneficial

Just Paterson, I think he’s far too good for that level and don’t see any benefit

Generally speaking I’d have preferred the B team to play elite friendlies rather than competitive football against junior/amateur players though I’m led to believe it’ll be 16-18 year old playing. If that’s the case, a year of competitive football playing the “rangers way” will benefit more than going up low league Scottish teams on loan

I just hope we find a way to still play the elite friendlies because I think it’s more beneficial
TBH, if Beale and co are all for it then I have enough trust in them that its the right move.

I'm just struggling to see how he gets competitive football.

He stood out a mile for me when he came on. Next season i think we will see him get a few more games, but Tav is the number 1 right back. Its what happens after next season thats the big question. I can see bids coming in for Patterson already from epl clubs.

No matter what anybody says it won’t help his development . Sitting on the bench waiting for the fittest most consistent player we have , to get injured or lose form .
Tav is not our most consistent player, he has purple patches where he is superb but every season he has a blip where his form seems to drop off a cliff, he is now getting near 30, in fitting with our new business model I would consider selling him this summer, let him leave a champion and give Nathan the shirt,

His turn in our 6 yard box under pressure from two Croat strikers was really impressive for a player his age.

Even the odd time we got up the park in the 8 or so mins he was on he looked to contribute.

Patterson will see quite a bit of game time this season. He has shown he can be trusted, he will play some games after European nights, play Cup games and will come on when games are done. Have no doubt about it.

For me next season is Pattersons year to really burst onto the scene, I think if he gets into our team next year and if tav doesn't get back his first half form of last season then tav will find it hard to get his place back imo....unless he can play midfield of course B-D

Gerrard's focus on keeping a clean sheet is comparable.

I understand your thinking but on the flip side, Gerrard plays attacking football, albeit it’s in a controlled formation

Clarke’s set up hinders the team to do so

Clarke should have picked the best players for positions

That doesn’t include Turnbull.

My point wasn’t there are magically undeserving players ahead of him. My point was there are at least 6 central midfielders who are genuinely better players. That cannot be said of Patterson.

In your opinion of course

Patterson showed more in the 9 or so minutes he played than O’Donnell did in the 3 games. (Take the half decent volley against England away and he’s been shite).

Same when Forest came on.

O'Donnell was chosen for two reason.

1. He was in the team that got to the Euros
2. Clarke wasn't going to bow to anyone and put Nathan in, sulky just couldn't do it regardless if it was right thing.

While I understand point 1, I think (for international football) you have to select the best player & the player who is in form should be picked ahead of the player that played last time. You don't have the number of games to allow a player to find form

I thought it interesting that there were loud cheers when Nathan came on and very good applause for him after each time he got involved. Was this from our own fans or has the TA has a Damascan conversion to proper football after watching Croatia?

In your opinion of course
Of course

But there are multiple premier league playing central midfielders in that squad who are clearly better than Turnbull and most would agree no doubt.

I think people are just championing Turnbull for a start to pretend they are even handed.

But its apples and oranges.

Patterson needs to be better than one mediocre full back. Scotland are very weak in that position.

Centre mid is arguable one of Scotland's strongest positions with many midfielders better than Turnbull, playing week in, week out at a higher level. The experience thing on it its own is not enough. But in addition to those guys being better than Turnbull, they also have more experience at a higher level of football, in England, in the premier league, in european club competition and internationally. O'Donnell's "greater experience" than Patterson is merely "longer" its not experience at a higher level.

I understand your dad scouted Turnbull so you have to defend him. But McGinn, Gilmour, McTominay, Fleck, Armstrong etc are all better options than Turnbull.

Patterson over O'Donnell is not the same as Turnbull breaking into a midfield filled with better players, playing at a higher level with greater experience. They are different arguments and it is lazy to represent them as the same.

Of course

But there are multiple premier league playing central midfielders in that squad who are clearly better than Turnbull and most would agree no doubt.

I think people are just championing Turnbull for a start to pretend they are even handed.

But its apples and oranges.

Patterson needs to be better than one mediocre full back. Scotland are very weak in that position.

Centre mid is arguable one of Scotland's strongest positions with many midfielders better than Turnbull, playing week in, week out at a higher level. The experience thing on it its own is not enough. But in addition to those guys being better than Turnbull, they also have more experience at a higher level of football, in England, in the premier league, in european club competition and internationally. O'Donnell's "greater experience" than Patterson is merely "longer" its not experience at a higher level.

I understand your dad scouted Turnbull so you have to defend him. But McGinn, Gilmour, McTominay, Fleck, Armstrong etc are all better options than Turnbull.

Patterson over O'Donnell is not the same as Turnbull breaking into a midfield filled with better players, playing at a higher level with greater experience. They are different arguments and it is lazy to represent them as the same.

My dad didnt scout him mate he was just at club when he was coming through so seen a lot of him.

Tav is not our most consistent player, he has purple patches where he is superb but every season he has a blip where his form seems to drop off a cliff, he is now getting near 30, in fitting with our new business model I would consider selling him this summer, let him leave a champion and give Nathan the shirt,
When did his performances ‘drop off a cliff’ last season then?

What utter pish.

Drop off a cliff, can you provide the months of last season where this is meant to have happened? :rolleyes:

For me next season is Pattersons year to really burst onto the scene, I think if he gets into our team next year and if tav doesn't get back his first half form of last season then tav will find it hard to get his place back imo....unless he can play midfield of course B-D
The difference with Tav is that he has genuinely world class delivery. I can see Patterson making 15-20 appearances but as the manager had eluded to we may have to tweak things so both can play in certain games

Patterson is so quick and I think better with the ball at his feet than Tav. But the skipper is a machine, up and down all day long, ball after ball into the box, set plays too.

Its one of the toughest nice problems we've had in a while.

He knows his role in the squad mate, he’s content learning from the best right back in the country and he knows he’s the deputy.

I’m sure he’ll still get a good amount of hame time next season, he’s only 19 - his time will come.
I always think a Scottish weakness is that very phrase - his time will come.
He is good enough now. We have a lot of games in a season, I think a degree of rotation would be the answer re him and Tav. I would look to see Patterson starting a minimum of 20 games. Tav would still have 40+ starts

I always think a Scottish weakness is that very phrase - his time will come.
He is good enough now. We have a lot of games in a season, I think a degree of rotation would be the answer re him and Tav. I would look to see Patterson starting a minimum of 20 games. Tav would still have 40+ starts
Yeah.

I’ve said that he will play that much, a few times in the thread.

He’s not ousting Tav yet, as others have alluded to nor will he be seeking a move as a result of that - which was my point.

20 starts may be a bit of a push, but 20 appearances all round I imagine he will achieve.

Don't want the lad playing for that Dinasaur Clarke if I'm honest, hopefully that tactically hampered gimp will be gone before the world cup qualifiers.

When did his performances ‘drop off a cliff’ last season then?

What utter pish.
After he came back from injury he was very average, I thought the team were better with Patterson in the team, I did say he has purple patches, at the start of last season he was outstanding, the Tav fanboys seem to forget the seasons he’s been here a lot of defensive mistakes, missed penalties, crosses not getting past the first man and his insistence on taking every dead ball situation when others ie Borna might be better. He has been a brilliant buy, but at some point we have to thank him and move him on, I think now is the time

Clark is just a stubborn Dhim lover, he’d rather damage results than not back his own.

Nathan is too progressive for Clark, a real give and go wingback. Clark prefers crab football, side to side stuff.
Ryan Gauld just got into the Portuguese team of the year, the only player outside Benfica, porto and Sporting to get into the team. And that's while playing for Farense who got relegated!

Clarke didn't think he was anywhere near good enough for the massive squad, yet is good enough to be ranked the best left midfield player in Portugal.

Inexcusable.

Back