Nathan Patterson

Tav is not our most consistent player, he has purple patches where he is superb but every season he has a blip where his form seems to drop off a cliff, he is now getting near 30, in fitting with our new business model I would consider selling him this summer, let him leave a champion and give Nathan the shirt,
Consistent enough to win player of the year . But I’m same as yourself mate , For the Patterson’s development and financially both of them should be made to fight for their place in the team .

You can see why Clarke is such a good manager...takes on a lad with six minutes to go in the 'hope' he will provide ammunition for the forwards to score err three goals.

Was he aware we needed to win last night?

Patterson will get game time this season thats a guarantee.
No way is he sitting out every game even if Tavs fit.

The management have been bringing him through properly - 2 years ago, he got time with the first team squad and a few minutes of play; last season he was part of the squad and got more minutes; this upcoming season we'll see a lot more of him.

By the start of 2022-23 season, he'll be a starter.

You can see why Clarke is such a good manager...takes on a lad with six minutes to go in the 'hope' he will provide ammunition for the forwards to score err three goals.

Was he aware we needed to win last night?
Nathan’s first involvement last night was a one touch pass and go that pretty much injected energy and excitement into my eyes.
By the way he laid it off and jestured to bolting down the wing.
Only to see the ball land in treacle and hang for valuable seconds and the move broke down.
Patterson was geared and off, Clarke’s MF though, didn’t even see it.

I have no idea what he tries to set his team up to do, but the amount of times the ball went wayward, forwards standing 3 meters apart at the penalty spot and players running into each other.

It was like watching a disorganised school team, managed by a biology teacher.

It would be interesting to know if/how frustrated guys like Steven Gerrard and Ross Wilson are at Nathans lack of game time in the tournament. Moreso when the guy that has played three games in front of him is so poor.

I see a fair few posters bumming up Turnbull again, he can barley last 60 minutes in the Spl never mind chasing shadows against Croatia.

The guy is so overrated it's ridiculous, he will be completely found out this season once teams stop him chipping balls over the defence and allowing loads of time to shoot, other than that he offers nothing for me.

That should be O’Donnells last game for Scotland and the right back spot Patterson’s going forward however we all know it wont be and O’Donnell will be back starting the next internationals

I said on a post last week he would get his chance when it was too late to make an impact and that is exactly what his 9 minutes amounted too.

Clarke is just another low risk dinosaur coach. The last chance, positive move would have been to sub him on at half time but no it’s the usual hold out and maybe we can nick one philosophy that failed Scotland again.

Last edited:
I said on a post last week he would get his chance when it was too late to make an impact and that is exactly what his 9 minutes amounted too.

Clarke is just another low risk dinosaur coach. The last chance, positive move would have been to sub him on at half time but no it’s the usual hold out and maybe we can muck one philosophy that failed Scotland again.
I honestly think that Croatia just plodded through first 2 games . And knew Scotland game was a banker .

Will be interesting to see how the gaffer can give Nathan a lot more game time in the team.
A bit of a headache but I'm sure he will handle it accordingly.

Rest Tav in some games against the smaller teams so he can be full beast mode in the games he plays.

Patterson playing a quarter of our games and getting sub appearances on top of that when we are winning would be OK.

I see a fair few posters bumming up Turnbull again, he can barley last 60 minutes in the Spl never mind chasing shadows against Croatia.

The guy is so overrated it's ridiculous, he will be completely found out this season once teams stop him chipping balls over the defence and allowing loads of time to shoot, other than that he offers nothing for me.
Ally was at it, too, when he was talking about Scotland's rosy future. Turnbull "had an outstanding season at Celtic Park"

They should get him on the Robinsons to give him more energy.

The Czech line up was announced and there was 3 players most couldn't believe he didn't start.

Che Adams, brings him on HT and instantly shows that he should have started, sure not a world beater but miles better than what we have.

Billy Gilmour, starts second game and shows Clarke messed up the first game leaving him out, class player that should be an automatic starter when available.

Nathan Patterson, the only Right Wing Back in the squad, yet doesn't play. Instead we have SOD a Motherwell standard of a player who played like players that are Motherwell standard, shat the bed when playing in games we have a chance and had a decent game against the big boys. Nathan mamaged to show in 7 minutes why he should have been on the park from minute 1 game 1.
I think you need to have an affiliation to Keltic get into Clarke's teams?
Look at the whole team of losers no idea how to win ...... Only two that won anything this year were Patterson and Gilmour ......55 and the European Cup.
Then what about the scum booing when the Rangers lad came on for the opposition!
Totally disgusting ..... I keep saying it it won't be long before there's a harp and a shamrock on the Scottish flags???

Patterson is clearly miles ahead of O'Donnell but Clarke has to be the only manager in world footbal that can't see it. He's got off with it slightly because Patterson hasn't played much this season, but if Patterson plays more often for us next season then there is no hiding place.
I think he can see it alright, the fact that Patterson is a Rangers player is why he isn't getting a start. The alkies intransigence will be his undoing eventually.

I have a bit more info on Turnbull to be fair due to my old man working at Motherwell when he was there. People are kidding themselves on if they dont think hes a top player.
Absolutely correct.
Some seem to think they’ll lose staunch points if the admit a Celtic player has a bit of quality.
Others are simply too blind to see it.
Turnbull might not dislodge (or any kind of lodge) somebody from the Rangers midfield but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a player.

I think we get one more season of tav and we will look to move on unless

And epl team decides take a punt on Patterson before he is fully established
Even as it stands this minute, it’d need to be an eight figure punt.

Clarke is clearly a bit of a dinosaur. But the idea he didn’t play Patterson because he’s a rangers player is patently absurd. He also didn’t give Celtic ‘wonder kid’ DT 1 minute at the finals.

The reason he didn’t pick Patterson was he trusts experience over form and ability. He also decided with 9 games or so that Patterson simply hadn’t played enough football even though that argument is negated by the fact most of his game time came in the immediate run up to the finals.

It is the same reason gilmour didn’t start game one. Experience first. Loyalty to the players who got us there first. Safety first.

A braver and bolder manager sees Patterson, Gilmour and Turnbull as his three on form and free wheeling kids with zero fear, so builds his tournament around their presence.
What experience does a player from the bottom six in Scotland actually have that a Nathan Patterson doesn’t?
More league experience can be negated by training with better players and better coaches.
European experience?
Does O’Donnell play in the same position in the same formation for us club that he played last night?
Why did the manager pick McLaughlin over Kelly or Clark?

Patterson is so quick and I think better with the ball at his feet than Tav. But the skipper is a machine, up and down all day long, ball after ball into the box, set plays too.

Its one of the toughest nice problems we've had in a while.
I really hope we do try something to get him regular game time, the kid is ready

It would be interesting to know if/how frustrated guys like Steven Gerrard and Ross Wilson are at Nathans lack of game time in the tournament. Moreso when the guy that has played three games in front of him is so poor.
Yeah remember Gerrard walking into a press conference and asking the question “tell me Nathan Patterson isn’t the best right back in Scotland “ ……..they must be thinking WTF

Tav is not our most consistent player, he has purple patches where he is superb but every season he has a blip where his form seems to drop off a cliff, he is now getting near 30, in fitting with our new business model I would consider selling him this summer, let him leave a champion and give Nathan the shirt,

Jim away for a lie down son

He should be given the full league cup no matter the opposition as should McLaughlin. Also if games are finished he should be coming off the bench every chance possible

How can that muttoned jawed areshole motivate any team when he is dour as a wet weekend. The wee man will prove he has no option than to pick him but hopefully he will be away and another deserving manager will build there team around Nathan and Billy. They are the future not the past.

Last edited:
It’s very noticeable that players pass to O’Donnell as a last resort, it’s almost reluctance to give him the ball

Patterson was willing to try and take players on, few nice touches and defensively sound. How can everyone see it, including Celtic fans, yet Clarke has a blind spot?
Me and my mates started calling him the decoy cause no one would pass to him unless they had nothing on

He's one of our most important players, no way we should be selling Tav

One trick pony, it’s not only you.

Hes a very go
Absolutely correct.
Some seem to think they’ll lose staunch points if the admit a Celtic player has a bit of quality.
Turnbull might not dislodge (or any kind of lodge) somebody from the Rangers midfield but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a playe

hes a very very decent player.

i was crying out for us to try to sign him before the yahoo fiasco.

Patterson in 7 minutes beat more opposition players than O'Donnell did all tournament.

O'Donnell got into decent positions at times but his lack of dribbling and skill meant he would either check back or pass back, every god damn time. No wonder no one really passed to him, you either got it right back or it goes back to the defence. I'm not going to deny he had a pretty decent game against England but he was woeful and had absolutely no threat against Czech Republic and Croatia.

If Patterson, Gilmour and Adams start that first game against the Czech's we have a very different game and truthfully probably win.

The Czech's are a very average side and not playing Clarkey hoofball, would make a massive difference

I was talking to a diehard Scotland fan this morning about the game, he said Patterson looked nervous when he got his 7 minutes lol , he also said O’Donnell was decent, he’s a killie fan, his Tim supporting mate said O’Donnell is a fùcking donkey and Patterson deserved a chance earlier in the tournament lol …
I said Steve Clarke is a clueless bastard

Absolutely correct.
Turnbull might not dislodge (or any kind of lodge) somebody from the Rangers midfield but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a player.
It’s got nothing to do with staunch points. What a tragic way to debate.

He’s a no bad player in the SPFL. He has obvious flaws, tactical-positioning, fitness. The EPL midfielders in the Scotland squad are better than him. When everyone is fit he likely doesn’t make the Scotland squad - backed up by the fact that even Clarke left him out until several injuries created space.

None of that is unreasonable or excessively biased. It’s a reasonable summation if the situation and how he ranks compared to other Scottish midfielders.

It’s got nothing to do with staunch points. What a tragic way to debate.

He’s a no bad player in the SPFL. He has obvious flaws, tactical-positioning, fitness. The EPL midfielders in the Scotland squad are better than him. When everyone is fit he likely doesn’t make the Scotland squad - backed up by the fact that even Clarke left him out until several injuries created space.

None of that is unreasonable or excessively biased. It’s a reasonable summation if the situation and how he ranks compared to other Scottish midfielders.
Tragic?
Drama queen central.
So, you and Clarke are at one on this one?
I’d be worried for my credibility if this goes on.
Okay, so you don’t agree with me, that’s not a problem but citing Stevie feckin Clarke as evidence that you’re right does nothing for you.

Tragic?
Drama queen central.
So, you and Clarke are at one on this one?
I’d be worried for my credibility if this goes on.
Okay, so you don’t agree with me, that’s not a problem but citing Stevie feckin Clarke as evidence that you’re right does nothing for you.
A bit like claiming people are aiming to collect staunch points

You’re usually much better than that

McTominay
McGinn
Gilmour
Fleck
Jack
Armstrong (yes he had a bad game the other night)
McLean

When the best midfielders from Scotland are fit, Turnbull doesn’t make the squad.

This will change as Turnbull improves and others age. But it’s a completely reasonable opinion to hold right now and no idea why people have to make up ridiculous posts to suggest otherwise.

Back