Nathan Tormey On trial

STEVEN GERRARD is giving a trial to former Arsenal youngster Nathan Tormey at Glasgow Rangers.

The left-winger turned down a new three-year deal to stay with the Gunners in the summer.

But he has decided to look elsewhere and is hoping to impress Rangers boss Gerrard in Scotland.

Tormey featured prominently at Under-23s for Arsenal last season.

The talented 20-year-old scored four goals in 15 appearances.

And he also played four times in the EFL Trophy.

He battled back from a serious knee injury but players such as Bukayo Saka moved ahead of him in the Arsenal pecking order.

As a result, he turned down the new long-term contract and quit London Colney.

Speaking on social media at the time, he said: "I appreciate the offer a new three year contract but I feel now is the time for me to move on.

"I would like to thank all the people at the club who have helped me become the player I am today and wish them all the best for the future.

"I am looking forward to a new challenge."

Nathan Tormey confirms Arsenal exit on Twitter, fans respond

Nathan Tormey has posted on Twitter to confirm he will be leaving Arsenal this summer with his contract expiring at the end of the month, rejecting a contract offer from the Gunners – and Arsenal fans have responded.

Tormey, 20, is highly-rated within the Arsenal academy but the Gunners had allowed the left-footed winger to enter the final stages of his contract. That is, despite Tormey training with the first team this season.

The youngster has been a constant part of Arsenal’s Under-23 Premier League campaign this season, clocking up 14 appearances and scoring five goals – three of which came against Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham.

With speculation over his future rife, Tormey has taken to Twitter to confirm that he has refused to sign a three-year deal with the Gunners and is instead looking for pastures new – rather than remaining at the Emirates.

Despite the breakthrough talents such as Bukayo Saka, Reiss Nelson, Joe Willock, Emile Smith-Rowe and Eddie Nketiah, Tormey has decided against remaining at the club as he sees his first-team chances better elsewhere.

Gunners fans reacted to Tormey’s Tweet as the winger confirmed he was to depart when his contract expires on June 30, and many are frustrated at their clubs inability to keep one of their highest-rated youngsters.

Seems a sensible enough thing to do. Bring him in, see if he can add to the squad for cheap or not. Sign or Thank for his time... Either way sensible.

If Arsenal were keen to keep him and their fans are frustrated at losing him, then it seems decent signs.

Like the idea, with one small caveat.

Arsenal fans are, without question, some of the most deluded, self important, ignorant and blinkered support in the world, especially on social media. They are prone to believing anyone who has so much has sat on the bench for their under-9's must be a world class superstar. So the fact they were sad to lose him means nothing.

That was a long rant for a small caveat. :))

Hopefully the boy impresses.

Never heard of him but like others have said-If he was 20 years old and still in Arsenal's plans he might have something about him for sure. Good luck to him. Hopefully we have found a good signing.

Obviously arsenal view him as good enough to make the grade in the Premier. Would be an amazing bit of business to get him on a free transfer. That is of course if we aren't paying silly wages.

Was Kamara not released by Arsenal and he’s now turned out well. Think the boy must have good technical ability to be with Arsenal, hopefully he turns out to be a find. Either way, good to know we‘re proactive and in early looking at these type of signings. I trust the staff in their decision.

He was injured to start and has now settled into the team and playing well.

It doesn’t make you less staunch to admit he is clearly not average. He’s a first pick now

He's still not the calibre that I would expect from a £25m player, even allowing for the fact that left-footed players carry a premium and it's the crazy world of the EPL.

I genuinely think Borna is a better player.

Was Kamara not released by Arsenal and he’s now turned out well. Think the boy must have good technical ability to be with Arsenal, hopefully he turns out to be a find. Either way, good to know we‘re proactive and in early looking at these type of signings. I trust the staff in their decision.
Arsenal have a very good youth set up produce technically solid players bargains to be had from the youth players EPL teams aren't trying down with deals

So a development fee will be due if he does well in a trial and wants to sign for us

Not many people will know if he’s any good or not but glad he’s getting a chance to see if he’s good enough and his knee injury has cleared up

I’m sure his knee must be okay if Arsenal offered him a 3 year deal

May I introduce to you, Kieran Tierney
Tierney is actually a good player ,thats the difference between rangers fans and that mob regardless of how much we dislike their players or former players we can admit if they are good players or not whereas that mob cant be as civil

Fair f*cks to him, the easiest thing in the world coming back from an injury like that would be to take a 3 year contract and be comfortable in an academy but he obviously wants to play first team football

This could be an inspired signing of it goes ahead and the management team think
he will cut the mustard.
A left-sided Ryan Kent for no transfer fee.....imagine!!!

Back