Nathan Young Coombes to West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was delighted to see them involved in France, but our academy player's involvement, McCrorie and Barjonas are no longer academy players, totalled 35 minutes.

The academy has to publicise it and promote themselves, but of the four clubs involved we had the least involvement of academy players.

Must be frustrating for you as someone who watches the youths regularly. All I ever see is excuses for why our Academy is so ineffective. Especially when the financial reality should mean that we put faith in young prospects.

Must be frustrating for you as someone who watches the youths regularly. All I ever see is excuses for why our Academy is so ineffective. Especially when the financial reality should mean that we put faith in young prospects.

The financial reality doesn't reflect the must win at all costs mentality of the fans.

Let's be honest, if we sold Tav and put Patterson in as starting RB and he made a mistake which cost us points v Hamilton or St Mirren or something, how many would be giving Gerrard a break saying at least we are giving youths a chance.

Even the bigger clubs non top 6 clubs down south like Everton lose 10/12 games per season, so although the opponent's might be tougher, there is less pressure on the youth player getting his shot.

It's what makes this club so great but also hinders it at times too.

The financial reality doesn't reflect the must win at all costs mentality of the fans.

Let's be honest, if we sold Tav and put Patterson in as starting RB and he made a mistake which cost us points v Hamilton or St Mirren or something, how many would be giving Gerrard a break saying at least we are giving youths a chance.

Even the bigger clubs non top 6 clubs down south like Everton lose 10/12 games per season, so although the opponent's might be tougher, there is less pressure on the youth player getting his shot.

It's what makes this club so great but also hinders it at times too.

People were literally posting that we need to do all it takes to stop 10 in a row, which included breaking the bank and spending cash we don't have. Life goes on after this season no matter what happens and the long term future of the club on and off the field is far more important.

Our fans numbers wise is incredible, but we need a big shift in mentality.

Also actually, one excuse I see for the Scum playing youth players is that there was no pressure on them. I'm not having that. They have played young players while we've been in the league and also in Europe. They simply have more faith in their youth.

From what I’ve seen of him, NYC wouldn’t get near the Rangers first team now or anytime soon. He’s keen and willing but there isn’t anything particularly exceptional about him.

I doubt that he will play at too high a level in his career but obviously glad to be proved wrong for the lad’s sake.

Good luck to him.

Good luck with your career,NYC.... particularly enjoyed the goal celebration knee slide towards the Union Bears after his goal against Wrexham; you could tell it meant the world to him. :cool: WATP

People were literally posting that we need to do all it takes to stop 10 in a row, which included breaking the bank and spending cash we don't have. Life goes on after this season no matter what happens and the long term future of the club on and off the field is far more important.

Our fans numbers wise is incredible, but we need a big shift in mentality.

Also actually, one excuse I see for the Scum playing youth players is that there was no pressure on them. I'm not having that. They have played young players while we've been in the league and also in Europe. They simply have more faith in their youth.

I agree they have more faith but I would still disagree with you and say it's easier. It's far easier to come into a side which is generally coasting than a side which is under pressure each week.

In Europe see example like Kyle Hutton going toe to toe with Scholes. The lack of expectation can sometimes be a weight off the players shoulders too.

I would like to make a few points here.

To say he hadn't kicked on is a bit harsh, he is still an under 18 player, barely played U18 last year when he was under 17, as he was pushed up to development squad.

Dapo is two years older in football terms than NYC. Dapo not involved pre-season, contract issue ?

There are a number of reasons youth players are unsettled. At an important stage of their career where and when will they play their next game ? U18 & U23 leagues in England will get up and running, it is not certain Scotland's U18 league will happen. And above that age group Rangers are looking at friendlies at best.

Fairness and money is of course also a factor, it would appear that a EPL academy player is valued significantly more than our own academy players.

Mebude's absence from involvement with the first team was the one thing that stood out to me. He and Kennedy both cast aside. That's not to imply there is a link between the two in terms of why they are missing - I have no idea - but Dapo could reasonably have expected to be involved this pre-season as well. Probably in the build-up to a loan move. As you have hinted, his contract expires next Summer as well though.

You make a very good point about there being more likelihood of football for these guys over the next year down in England as well. That hadn't occurred to me.

I agree they have more faith but I would still disagree with you and say it's easier. It's far easier to come into a side which is generally coasting than a side which is under pressure each week.

In Europe see example like Kyle Hutton going toe to toe with Scholes. The lack of expectation can sometimes be a weight off the players shoulders too.

Of course, but if we can't play a single youth player at home to the likes of Hamilton then surely we have a problem there?

Aye, use a 17 year old that miles from the first team
Honestly some of the absolute pish on here is unbelievable

I'm not talking about this isolated incident. Since I started following Rangers we have struggled to bring through academy players. If you're not going to play them, you're going to lose them. Simple as that.

See Billy Gilmour.

I'm not talking about this isolated incident. Since I started following Rangers we have struggled to bring through academy players. If you're not going to play them, you're going to lose them. Simple as that.

See Billy Gilmour.
Gilmour is quite a ridiculous comparison, he was as involved in the first team as he legally could be.

We signed him to our academy as a 16 year old , as we did with Mcpake. I class them both as our academy products.

I class them as signing, the ones who train at Rangers and sign their 1st professional contracts at Rangers I class as our own products.

Gilmour is quite a ridiculous comparison, he was as involved in the first team as he legally could be.

I still don't think he would have played by now though. There is nothing to suggest we would have played him, infact everything else points to him sitting on the bench like every other youth talent we've had.

Of course, but if we can't play a single youth player at home to the likes of Hamilton then surely we have a problem there?

I agree and would like to see it from time to time, but sporadically i.e. Patterson comes in, has a blinder, take him back out before he has a bad game, which he will have and the crowd will be on his back. That could ruin him. I think this is what happened with Fleck tbh.

But you could argue that he left because he thought he had more chance of getting game time at Chelsea.

The facts are, we don't produce anywhere near enough young players out of the academy. Granted some of them just aren't good enough and eventually find their level at the lower leagues, but even our 'best prospects' break into the first team and then get played out of position. See John Fleck and Lewis Macleod.

If we are constantly losing our best prospects before they make the first team - what's the point?

People can say "he hasn't kicked on" but looking at the underlying stats he was ranked as the no.1 top forward prospect from the current crop of academies throughout Scotland. To say that losing him is not an issue would be putting it kindly.

Source: https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2...o-find-the-best-forward-prospects-in-scotland
Very much like that quote from the NHL analyst.

Long for the day that Rangers play young players who might be bad over older players who are definitely bad.

Reactions: MSF
But you could argue that he left because he thought he had more chance of getting game time at Chelsea.

The facts are, we don't produce anywhere near enough young players out of the academy. Granted some of them just aren't good enough and eventually find their level at the lower leagues, but even our 'best prospects' break into the first team and then get played out of position. See John Fleck and Lewis Macleod.

If we are constantly losing our best prospects before they make the first team - what's the point?

I agree we haven't been producing enough but which "best prospects" are we "constantly" losing? How many have come though our youth system, left because of lack of opportunity and became a first team regular at a comparable club to Rangers. Precious few, I would suggest.

Youth football is full of great prospects who don't make the transition to adult football. That's why clubs take so many on to their books - they know most will fall by the wayside. I remember the exact same debate on here about Charlie Telfer and see what happened there.

ST4EOYF.gif

I got blocked from that ages ago no idea why. Glad to see I am not missing anything lol

Lucky you. I don't follow any Rangers fan pages on Facebook as it's a total cringefest. My dad is relatively new to Facebook so joined a load of Rangers groups in good faith so I hear all the ridiculous posts on them. Latest one is Morelos being a dud anyway.

Quite disappointed about this. Saw him at Alkass (?) tournament and thought we had a potential Mark Hately if he continued as he started. Don’t know what’s happened since. Some guys show up well early on because they are early developers but then get overtaken when others catch up where the advantage is no longer there. Don’t know if that’s what happened.

It’s hardly a unique situation to have youth players that aren’t from the local area.

Do you think everybody at the Chelsea academy, for example, is from the South East of England?

Of course not. Homesickness/loneliness for the youngsters is something that we surely have things in place to alleviate.

Feel free to offer up a defence of Steven Gerrards ability to blood academy products into the Rangers team.
Steven Gerrard will be judged foremost on whether he can win the championship back from Celtic, preferably this season.Blooding in youngsters is a distant third behind that and signing players that we can sell on.

You’ve been adamant that the club are constantly at fault throughout the thread, not taking into account that some aren’t good enough and others want big wages.

The supporters’ demands reality is more than a bit more demanding than the financial reality.

It’s hardly a unique situation to have youth players that aren’t from the local area.

Do you think everybody at the Chelsea academy, for example, is from the South East of England?

Of course not. Homesickness/loneliness for the youngsters is something that we surely have things in place to alleviate.

Of course we’ll have things in place but you can’t always cure it and it happens at bigger clubs than us.

Kennedy should’ve been in France with the first team, I don’t know what’s happened there but Patterson and big Mayo look like they’ve got lots of potential.
I agree, Barjonas went and impressed for contractual/attitude reasons Kennedy didn't!
Was it young McPake who made the bench Vs Motherwell which pushes Kennedy further back. You don't know when these opportunities present themselves and they need to be ready, not just talk to their agent about being ready for big boys football

Steven Gerrard will be judged foremost on whether he can win the championship back from Celtic, preferably this season.Blooding in youngsters is a distant third behind that and signing players that we can sell on.

You’ve been adamant that the club are constantly at fault throughout the thread, not taking into account that some aren’t good enough and others want big wages.
Nobody has disputed anything you've said there.

None of it means Gerrards record in this area is acceptable.

Lucky you. I don't follow any Rangers fan pages on Facebook as it's a total cringefest. My dad is relatively new to Facebook so joined a load of Rangers groups in good faith so I hear all the ridiculous posts on them. Latest one is Morelos being a dud anyway.

Yeah I was on a couple for livestream links they were bad enough!! Rangers Archives is good though.

Of course we’ll have things in place but you can’t always cure it and it happens at bigger clubs than us.

Fine. Of course you can’t cure it. I know myself, I left Scotland in my early 20s. But if the lad wants to make it as a pro he’s probably going to have to show a bit more fortitude, if indeed, that is the reason he’s leaving.

Fine. Of course you can’t cure it. I know myself, I left Scotland in my early 20s. But if the lad wants to make it as a pro he’s probably going to have to show a bit more fortitude, if indeed, that is the reason he’s leaving.
I totally agree. Just saying it’s not necessarily our fault.

SG is not responsible for the youth academy. His job is to stop the corrupt bheasts.
His job is to manage Rangers and that includes the youth players first team prospects, NYC's were limited so he's off.

I hate the idea that the world begins and ends with 55. Rangers are bigger than Celtic and Scottish Football, tunnelvision on either will result in us becoming mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back