Negativity over todays performance?

I don't think it's negativety more just that people are impatient for the summer and next season.

The league has been done since October and while Beale has delivered an impressive level of consistency he's wringing absolutely everything out of the dying embers of this team.

In a certain context these games are fairly meaningless and that's reflected in people's enthusiasm.

The criticism is harsh imo. 5 of the last 6 head to heads have ended with 2 goals or less and the other only had 3. It is a team we have traditionally struggled against over the years, not just recently. We did the job today without being spectacular and had certain passages of play which were very, very good at the same time. Wasteful at times but always in full control of the game and virtually untroubled. I'll take that every single week tbh.

On another note, Goodwin brought a team to Ibrox earlier in the season, played open expansive football against us, and got well and truly spanked during a period we were seriously struggling for form and goals. We are, by comparison, flying at the moment and are averaging roughly 3 per game since Beale came in. No way he was coming today with anything else in his mind other than parking the bus and working on damage limitation from kick off. That directly impacts our performance and effectiveness no matter how much some might want to suggest it doesn't or shouldn't.

Today was a poor watch , there were moments off good link up play, keeper made 3 smart stops to keep the score down, but our desision making in the final 3rd was so poor, combined with the fear of having a shot found the most frustrating element today, utd where utter dire and I don’t understand how we keep playing Morelos in the current contract situation, we need to look forward

What I’m amazed at is the very high end coaching and tactical knowledge on here is not better used by us and frankly the wider footballing community.

It was just boring and played at a very slow pace. Couple bits of quality to win it. Not entirely our fault as I thought Dundee United were truly awful and as negative as you can be.

It definitely wasn't entertaining though so I can understand why folk are a bit negative.
Boring, slow, predictable, standard Ibrox performance to be honest

Constant passing across the face of the Dundee United blocks and trying to feed the ball wide

Seen it all before, it’s boring and teams know what’s coming. We need to change it. On the occasions we tried some combinations centrally we looked much better and no coincidence that’s how we got our 2 goals

We lack intensity, aggression, pace. 3-4 passes when 1 would do etc no point going on we all know

Only slight let off today is it must be difficult at times when you come up against a team as bad as Dundee United were in terms of set up, ambition and what they brought to the game. A shambles of a performance from them

Last edited:
Slightly surprised by it tbh

Felt if it wasn’t for some really good saves from their keeper/defenders and some chances that we ought to have done better with, that could and should have been a 5 or 6-0

First half wasn’t exactly great but we should have went in more than 1-0 up

Second half should have seen us scoring a fair few more

My only annoyance today was probably Lundstram slowing things down far too often

I’m far from being a happyclapper but I am surprised with some comments I’ve seen since FT saying we were poor etc

We won but it was absolutely turgid.

It was a bog standard routine win that we’ll struggle to remember in years to come.

The only issue I have with the team at the moment is the lack of a clinical edge but hopefully we see it starting next week.

A reasonable performance against a Bus Station but given the chances, and in particular the clean break aways, Rangers shouldve had a lot more goals today.

Just not focused enough at the crucial moments and too often a fraction off what shouldve been the 'finish him' moment.

Could genuinely feel a bit of anger/disappointment when watching on RTV from the crowd.

Some of it is misplaced imo - with Utd playing so deep I get the short passes and trying to move it across the park, then injecting a bit of skill and pace - first goal a good example.

The frustration for me is the second half when we have genuine moments. 3 on 2 and sakala can’t make a simple pass, or not being able to put it across the box when we have a man over at the back. Need to be more clinical

Think RB was talking about Sakala. But Kent's number's are atrocious. His goal return playing in the front 3 of a team dominating 90% of games is worse than poor. Doesn't matter how he's performing, if fit he starts. I'm now starting to think we should let him leave.

Maybe folk are selfish enough to want entertainment and to see plenty of goals against utter dross? Our tempo is slow and will expose us against that lot next week.

It was like a faster paced horseshoe yesterday, everything going from side to side yet our first goal stems from a nice one two through the middle in the box. Often enough when breaking forward, there was no one in the middle, Morelos seemed to be out wider and again, no one running the channels to move them about. Passes constantly over/under hit when counter attacking but got the job done in the end

My negativity really doesn't stem from us, but from Scottish football in general. Our home games in particular, against 80% of the league, is like watching the same movie over and over and over. A defence v attack training session effectively. There is no excitement and no passion. I'm sure if the league was tighter there would be more enthusiasm from the stands and a bit more energy on the pitch, but that doesn't change the fact that the standard of our league just now is absolutely dreadful.

A routine victory at Ibrox against a side who came with no interest to have a go,the negativity from some on here is boring as f*ck.

Also no idea how people can have a go at Kent yesterday.

I was as scathing as anyone in the matchday thread and agree with most of what has been said in here. The combination of slow build-up, poor finishing and an opposition completely devoid of any attacking intent made for another frustrating watch.

I do think the fact the league has felt beyond us for such a long time impacts on people's opinion. As our only recent frame of reference for a successful league campaign, I remember us playing out a lot of similar games in the 55 season. There wasn't the same level of negativity about performances, because we were strolling the league and winning relentlessly.

The bottom line is, we need to be winning titles and cups regularly. Perceptions won't change until that happens.

The nature of the league right now means routine wins at home aren't appreciated as much.

If Celtic had played at lunchtime today and dropped points, the general atmosphere would've been a lot more positive.
Nail on head. We’re all pissed off because basically these wins are meaningless due to their form.

This is fuk all to do with us, that scumdee utd are truly awful. Look at the diffirence in our performance when we played Hearts and Hivs two teams that tried to actually play football. Scumdee utd had no interest in playing football yesterday. If you dont test your attack play against better players how can you improve and know your weaknesses??

Results aside, I’ve not exactly been enthused by many performances under Beale.

There’s no getting away from the fact that we’re a tough watch, not exactly helped by teams playing 8 at the back against us.

The issue under Beale is the performances have largely been “functional” rather than good.

Hearts and Hibs away - tremendous.

Others have been flashes.

And we have had two games against the Paedos and MB shat the bed both times.

If he doesn’t better the paedos in these next 3 games then there will be huge pressure on him. And rightly so.

BUT - if he gets the better of them, delivers the SC and tightens the gap, then massive praise and more positivity.

The league has become so boring and repetitive. There isn’t any excitement. But the powers that be that run Scottish football live in the dark ages so nothing will change.

Plus you watch highlights of other games and all you see is half empty stadiums. As someone else said Scottish football is dying because the football that’s played is awful.

We never in trouble, we played some nice stuff but our inability to kill teams is beyond ridiculous now. Our decision making in the final third just isn't good enough overall.

We won't match this Celtic teams goal output when two thirds of our attack is Kent and Morelos. There's just not enough of a goal return from the pair of them. Kent makes some of the most hairbrained decisions in terms of picking passes that I've ever seen. Morelos gave us zero apart from one shot on target at 2-0.

Didn't help with the Jack/Lundstram combo either. The two of them playing basically the same role isn't needed at home against the jobbers

Going foward, this team absolutely has to be build around Raskin, Cantwell and Tillman. They're the future for us.
I thought Jack was decent yesterday, Lundstram on the the other hand is miles off what we need.

Raskin is a step up and a bit of a loss already when he’s not there.

Another game this season ill have no recollection of in a few months,one of lots of boring ,slow tedious performances at Ibrox this season.
Feels like groundhog day going watching the same film over again cant wait till this seasons over.If the truth be known im bored shitless with it ,just go out of habit,i enjoy nothing about it apart from having a few beers with family and friends.

Bored out my tits at the game today. Freezing cold too, which didn’t help.

That was as easy a game as we’ve had in ages because they didn’t even try to lay a glove on us, yet we toiled to break them down overplaying it as usual, terrified of taking a shot and huffing and puffing.

As for our breakaways, don’t even get me started.

Should’ve run up a cricket score today, but usual story of needing a dozen chances per goal and honestly, if Tillman wasn’t playing today, that would likely have finished a draw.
Agree with all of that. In the summer we need several players of the quality of Tillman and Cantwell, all over the pitch.

Constant passing across the face of the Dundee United blocks and trying to feed the ball wide

Seen it all before, it’s boring and teams know what’s coming. We need to change it. On the occasions we tried some combinations centrally we looked much better and no coincidence that’s how we got our 2 goals

We lack intensity, aggression, pace. 3-4 passes when 1 would do etc no point going on we all know

Only slight let off today is it must be difficult at times when you come up against a team as bad as Dundee United were in terms of set up, ambition and what they brought to the game. A shambles of a performance from them
I don’t get this viewpoint. Surely you have to take into account Dundee Utd’s shape. They had 9 players plus the keeper in defence. They played the lowest of low blocks. In years gone by we struggled to break down the low block but we have the players at the moment (particularly Kent, Cantwell and Tillman) that have the tools to unlock it either home or away.

Supporters are not stupid it’s not just this performance it’s been a common theme against low block defences we look slow cumbersome and clueless at times. We are winning only because the opposition is so poor. If he needs any evidence of what the punters think he should have had a look round the stadium at full time. Empty supporters bored out their skulls with a team just passing for the sake of it. The amount of five yard sideways passes played is unbelievable. The notion he was the tactical genious behind Gerrard is being severely tested

We need an infusion of new and better players. It’s that simple for me.

Tillman and Cantwell were the only new additions on the park yesterday from the side that finished last season and both of them played a big part in our winning the game.

The rest are set in their ways and appear to go into some form of autopilot when faced with teams like yesterday, which is pretty much most weeks.

At the same time, Beale doesn’t appear to be doing anything differently either. I said as much when he was hired - that he’d been the architect of this team’s playing style and that probably wasn’t going to radically alter upon his return.

To be fair to the players, in the second half they tried to cut through Dundee United with one-twos and triangles in and around the box but just weren’t good enough to execute them effectively.

That for me demonstrates the need for better players this summer to make that happen more regularly.

Until then, this is just how it’s going to be, I’m afraid.

Even in Gerrards first season we were regularly putting 4 past teams, couple of 5's, 7 goals past Motherwell. It's a no brainer that we are currently better than we were back then, and the chances we created against Dundee Utd were usually very good but we really struggle to put much of anything away. Our chance conversion rate has slipped quite drastically. I only really have confidence in Tillman to score now.

I'm over the moon with our fluidity and ability to make chances but there seems to be a weird mental block in most of the team right now. Almost every game domestically has been the same old "could have been 5 or 6", but never is

The nature of the league right now means routine wins at home aren't appreciated as much.

If Celtic had played at lunchtime today and dropped points, the general atmosphere would've been a lot more positive.

No competition due to the way money is distributed. It'll only get worse.

My annoyance isn’t the performance

It’s the breakaways and our decision making during transitions, we were four on two and three on three at one point in second half, you just knew nothing would come of it, our decision making whilst breaking is horrific.

and continuing with Lundstram in the second half when we were clearly dominating is baffling from Beale, he slows us down no end
I don’t feel it’s simply decision making.
It’s about a basic inability in a few players to make the final pass at the correct pace and weight.
A couple of examples.

It’s a weak point in Kent’s game and Sakala.
With the right way of final pace we’re creating one on ones on the keeper.

4 on 2 and it comes to nothing . A few times we wasted chances like that. Been too wasteful all season tbf.

Reading all these comments regarding how slow our play is and blaming Jack, Tav and Lundstram seem to overlook two players. Kent did nothing of note during the 90 minutes apart from one great shot that hit the bar. I was convinced that he and Morelos were totally uninterested and didn’t really want to be playing.

I don’t get this viewpoint. Surely you have to take into account Dundee Utd’s shape. They had 9 players plus the keeper in defence. They played the lowest of low blocks. In years gone by we struggled to break down the low block but we have the players at the moment (particularly Kent, Cantwell and Tillman) that have the tools to unlock it either home or away.
Did you enjoy that?

I did make a semi excuse for the end of my post

But regardless of Dundee United we’re so slow and predictable, so many touches when we don’t need them, three passes to get a ball out to Tav when one would do etc etc

I expect a lot better (and think we’ll get that after the summer)

It wasnt great yesterday, no denying it. There was patches of good football though when we moved the ball quicker. It should be a fairly easy thing to sort, you dont play any 2 from 3 of lundstram, jack or Kamara. We will be a better team altogether when Raskin is available and fully fit. Unfortunately it could require a full pre season to get him properly up to speed. Sick of the word "turgid" though, its like people have just discovered it and use it at every opportunity.

We never in trouble, we played some nice stuff but our inability to kill teams is beyond ridiculous now. Our decision making in the final third just isn't good enough overall.

We won't match this Celtic teams goal output
when two thirds of our attack is Kent and Morelos. There's just not enough of a goal return from the pair of them. Kent makes some of the most hairbrained decisions in terms of picking passes that I've ever seen. Morelos gave us zero apart from one shot on target at 2-0.

Didn't help with the Jack/Lundstram combo either. The two of them playing basically the same role isn't needed at home against the jobbers

Going foward, this team absolutely has to be build around Raskin, Cantwell and Tillman. They're the future for us.
The absolute irony is that in 17/18 despite finishing third, we were the top scorers in the league. Aside from 55 we are always deficient in either defence or attack.

Yeah we won and got the three points but the same old issues are still there with this side.

Usual slow tempo/build up play.

Slow and sluggish in midfield why do we play with two holding midfielders against dross who have a 5-4-1 set up ?

Our forward line again miss so many chances it's ridiculous.

I'll be repeating myself all summer but the midfield and forward line needs completely overhauled.

A routine victory at Ibrox against a side who came with no interest to have a go,the negativity from some on here is boring as f*ck.

Also no idea how people can have a go at Kent yesterday.

Maybe because he was garbage.

maybe GvB realised his strengths and having a free role certainly isn’t one of them.

One shot off the bar apart, what else did he do other than run into blind alleys and hit a United player every time he crossed the ball ?
If you don’t score or assist your performance is garbage according to some on here.

Kent was involved in a lot of good stuff we done yesterday.

Kent was poor yesterday however starting Lundstram and Jack versus the worst team in the league was a poor decision

The issue under Beale is the performances have largely been “functional” rather than good.

Hearts and Hibs away - tremendous.

Others have been flashes.

And we have had two games against the Paedos and MB shat the bed both times.

If he doesn’t better the paedos in these next 3 games then there will be huge pressure on him. And rightly so.

BUT - if he gets the better of them, delivers the SC and tightens the gap, then massive praise and more positivity.
Our squad just isn't good enough in comparison. He should have until after the summer until he feels any pressure.

Kent was poor yesterday however starting Lundstram and Jack versus the worst team in the league was a poor decision
Practically every pass by Lundstram and Jack was side to side it's so frustrating to watch.

Kent in that free role does absolutely nothing either goes from the left to the right and repeat for 90 minutes with the odd run at the opposition defence it's not good enough.

I think you've answered your own question. We should have put 6 past that mob, they're absolutely shite. That other lot from the crime scene probably would have went in at half time 3 up and the game finished.

Look at the goals scored column in the league table, that's why folk are frustrated.
Look at our two top strikers. Alfie and Colak struggling to find the banjo, never mind hit a coo on the arse with it.

Back