NEH: A Professional Opinion

Just finished my shift and thought I would share my thoughts on the NEH 'Fanzone' event space.
I had a wee quick tour of it this morning, I thought the Cafe Space was ideal for what it was intended for, shop space looked well thought out
The Event Space itself looks to me to be perfect for Concerts, with the giant TV to allow everyone to see the act.
It is going to be brilliant for people taking their kids to the football and will be a welcome place for families
The Bar operation I will not comment on as anything I do say will probably be twisted to suit certain agendas.
In the recent past, we have seen the Club upgrade Club72, Open BSL, and now open the NEH, along with the planned Sports Bar that must be nearly £15m spent on various Hospitality Venues
Well done to everyone

Some people will moan that it should’ve been £15 million spent on players to win hings

I believe the museum will help there. I spoke to the curator in NEH yesterday and he told me there would be interactives tailored to kids.
That sounds good for the museum but I’m talking about the bar/fanzone area where everyone gathered after the game. I appreciate there may have been stuff on for them pre match but as their allowed in after the game then we’ll need more for them to do than just standing watching the old yins drink. Nothing on the big screen for them to watch, no music, nothing really.

Last edited:
When is first gig likely to be?
I don't know much about music scene but guess these things and touring take months of planning, or do they do quick turn arounds on short notice?
My guess would be around Autumn. Obviously still getting the place up and running, and summer is a quiet time for gigs due to the festival season.

I was in the shop/cafe and it looked fine to me. Could've done with more seating in the cafe but that's always going to be the case.

My hope is that someone behind the scenes manages to secure a decent name for the first concert. It would be great to have a sell-out. And first come, first served and not based on MyGers points :)):)):))

I really liked the look of the cafe and think I would use that pre-match if I am there early, but it looked to seat about 8 people! There was plenty of room, so hopefully they can add a few more tables and seats.

My hope is that someone behind the scenes manages to secure a decent name for the first concert. It would be great to have a sell-out. And first come, first served and not based on MyGers points :)):)):))
isn't really in the hands of the club. Will be down to promoters/booking agents etc.

Given the size of the venue there's a fair chance loads of people on here won't have heard of them.

Can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth already when it's some band on Saddle Creek.

I really liked the look of the cafe and think I would use that pre-match if I am there early, but it looked to seat about 8 people! There was plenty of room, so hopefully they can add a few more tables and seats.
I guess it depends how willing they are to move seating in/out. For a 'normal' day, there's probably more than enough seating for folk visiting the shop and/or museum. Obviously numbers are a lot higher on matchday. Once we get the Sports Bar open in the old Shop it will help balance things out as well.

Possibly mentioned elsewhere, but can’t find it (here or on website):

What are the weekday opening hours? Was maybe going to pop over this afternoon.

Very impressed with the Rangers store- much more of everything and a cracking size. Thought the cafe would have had more seating. The fanzone itself was impressive although I never got the bar to order a drink. Will it always be a case of showing your ticket for the game to get in or will they start charging?
I take it during the week non match days, no need for STs?

Just got an email that there are still packages on sale for £150, and 50 mygers points

Obviously aimed at those who just missed out on cup final tickets

I’d hope the Louden would be open if there was a sell-out or near sell-out gig at NEH.
I rarely go into venues until about 15 mins before the band starts.

Would I be correct in assuming this new venue will have hospitality deals for games like away European games a la Bar/Lounge 72?

For anyone who hasn’t enjoyed a match in ‘72 then you really should treat yourself.

Hear they are planning on doing hospitality from the museum on match days too. Few drinks and canapés pre match, then toddle over and take your seat in the stand.

leipzig had decent reusable plastic glasses. Would be much better
We went to the Union Berlin game the night after the Leipzig one and they were the same, was a 1 euro refund on them but they were pretty smart with the club logo and different players on them, ended up bringing 4 home:))

The hydro do the same now, last time I was there there were folk picking up loads to take back for the refund, you can only take back so many at a time so guys were piling them up and going back and forth with them, the handles interlock too so you can easily carry a few in each hand when they're full.

That's good. I still believe there are huge gaps on the products on offer compared to other clubs and hope that can be addressed as feel we are missing a trick.

People want to spend money in the shop but there has been such a limited range (apart from clothing) since castore came in.
Was in the original shop on Saturday before the game and noticed there was a lot of more general souvenir type stuff, however its next to the tills with the queue in front of it so not easily accessible.

I'd like to see a decent sized cafe for passing trade midweek.

That sounds good for the museum but I’m talking about the bar/fanzone area where everyone gathered after the game. I appreciate there may have been stuff on for them pre match but as their allowed in after the game then we’ll need more for them to do than just standing watching the old yins drink. Nothing on the big screen for them to watch, no music, nothing really.
I agree. They do need to provide something for kids and as I said some seating for those who need it.

How much do you think this venue could generate for the club Robert? (ballpark)
Not sure about the profit split between the Club and it's Commercial Partners and depending on the amount of concerts etc, but I would be looking for a Gross turnover of about £3/4m minimum. Be a lot of work but I think it would be achievable.
Difficult to tell what the Club has in mind

Should have clarified, this relates to Fanzone only

Last edited:
It’s not just music acts we’re looking to attract. There will be conference options for product launches, comedians, YouTube influencers etc. my 2 daughters recently attended different kids events that absolutely put EH in the correct demographic. Probably upwards of 1000 at 1 and about 600 at another. Both booked by my Mrs who wouldn’t care less of it was a Celtic venue.
I think the youths is a big one YouTube is a huge market.
Comic Cons
Fairs
Singers
Spoken word
Comedy

It’s a great canvas we have and can be whatever we want it to be performance wise

I have to say I was pleasantly suprised with NEH on Saturday.. I had 2 guys over for their first game with their kids and they were also very pleased with it. Never too much of a queue for beer, food or even the toilet.
I do think they could reschedule the entertainment a bit better. It seemed to take forever for the "acts/speakers" to come on.. it got a bit boring listen to what seemed the same song being played over and over again from the DJ.. I feel that they should have played some Rangers songs to lighten the mood or even the guy on the guitar who i thought was very good playing a bit earlier.. but all in all a great experience and can only get better!.

The big problem with this is you need to collect them and put in facilities to wash them, it’s not a massive thing but it’s just another thing to do
In Germany you pay a deposit on the cup. Don’t need to worry about the cleaning up as the kids run around and collect them to make some extra pocket money. Works pretty well.

At the moment, it is our intention to open every time there is a concert on at NEH or Ibrox

Would you consider expanding the current size of The Louden? You know what it's like before and after the games, queue is a mile long to get in, even worse when waiting to get in and it's raining or freezing cold, especially night games. Could a second tier be added to the pub or even expanded further back behind the beer garden?

@Robert Marshall

No. I’m not a big concert fan but even if it was my favourite artist I still wouldn’t. I’d only go to that place when Rangers are playing.
Why not? The promoter/organiser has already paid them for the use of the venue if it is happening at their place. Same for us. The Wolfe Tones could play NEH and we'd get paid even if only 1 mhutant turned up.

Why not? The promoter/organiser has already paid them for the use of the venue if it is happening at their place. Same for us. The Wolfe Tones could play NEH and we'd get paid even if only 1 mhutant turned up.
The first point you make: quite simply because it’s a hellhole and the only way I’d fund somewhere like that is if Rangers were playing, because my love for Rangers beats my hatred for them. As I said, not a big music guy so maybe if I was and had a favourite band it would be a different story.

Second point I hope you’re fishing. There’s money and there’s morals in regards to the ‘band’ you mentioned. Accepting a band because they offer is one thing, but if it’s an act that have rabid followers such as them then it’s a clear no. Similar to why I’d never go to Parkhead for a gig, but again, not a big gig fan.

Not sure about the profit split between the Club and it's Commercial Partners and depending on the amount of concerts etc, but I would be looking for a Gross turnover of about £3/4m minimum. Be a lot of work but I think it would be achievable.
Difficult to tell what the Club has in mind

Should have clarified, this relates to Fanzone only
Do you have a feel for what that might expect to deliver bottom line in the sector - keep reading about how difficult and costly to operate hospitality is these days and presumably would need to drive high utilisation midweek to achieve the target turnover.

Gig capacity is about 1,000 I understand
I’m guessing Seated dinner capacity must be a third of that.

Was in on Saturday before the game got in relatively quickly, served within a couple of minutes, wasn't a big fan of the singer with the guitar (not my cup of tea) will definitely be back on Sunday.

Back