Neil McCann - Best pundit on TV by a country mile.

Just said this last night whilst having to listen to the pair of pr!cks Stewart and Craigen on Premier Sports.

McCann is a joy to listen to whether he is talking about Rangers or any other club he gives an honest unbiased opinion.

He's amazing, but does anyone get the impression Gerrard doesn't really like answering his questions? :D

McCann tends to be a little technical in his questioning to Gerrard at times, and we all know it's Beale who deals more on this side of things, and Gerrard focuses more on the man-management side of things.

It might also be down to Gerrard not wanting to give too much away publicly and McCann is kind of forcing him into a deeper tactical conversation which he doesn't want.

Gerrard tends to answer McCann's technical questions very simply as well. :D

I enjoy it though and hope McCann keeps it up.

Just watched Sportscene there and the difference between Neil and the pseudo intellectual Michael Stewart is night and day. No (not so hidden) agendas just an appreciation and complete understanding of the game.

I could listen to him day long.

Inverted wingers loyal.
It's not even close. I can see the wee man going down south to work for sky or bt but if he fancies getting the trackies back on then it'd be great to have him as a coach at the RTC.

He is really good but my favourite is Mo Ross, he only makes the odd appearance on Sportsound which is a shame but I think he is excellent.

No reason why we can't have panels full of knowledgeable ex players like McCann.
I heard a clip and the main host said something like ' for argument's sake Michael, and we know how you like stirring them do you think ...?
He's employed as a bitter antagonist, he'd be nothing more than a Celtic blogger level nonentity if the BBC/Premier didn't employ him, more McCanns needed

Best moment from RTV this season is when he’s ’discussing’ inverted wingers with Walter Smith and Graeme Souness. The look on Walter’s face :))

Even on RTV against Ross County, McCann breaks the game down really well.

Surprised he hasn't tried to get back into management.

Yeah could listen to him all day also not afraid to call us out when we’ve been poor never try’s to sugar coat it

Just said this last night whilst having to listen to the pair of pr!cks Stewart and Craigen on Premier Sports.

McCann is a joy to listen to whether he is talking about Rangers or any other club he gives an honest unbiased opinion.
Another two good reasons not to bother with premier sport. I don't.

Love Neil. A proper football man and pundit who knows the game. Stewart on the other hand, Why is he even on shows ? Everything is watered down with this prick. Pretty sure he stated Browns red at Livi was only a yellow :))

Agreed. Steward and Forster only have interest in debating controversial incidents and making them more controversial to get attention for themselves. McCann focuses on highlighting tactics that kids (and adults) can learn from.

The sportscene graphics guys rushed the images cause even they can't keep up with him, but the comparison of Aribos average position against well and against county perfectly summarised our teams tactical change and the change in result.

Aribo playing in our 'midfield 3' but being our furthest forward player over the 90 - great observation from a true pundit!

Probably the best compliment I could give McCann is that when he talks about the game he reminds me of the late,great Ray Wilkins.

As mentioned he along with Kerr and the lassie Leeanne are very good as pundits.
Ditto Darren Fletcher who has since went into full-time coaching sadly,great insight from him when he was on before.

Used to work with his sister/cousin (can't remember which). She managed a bookies on the PR for 30 years or something.

A massive one of them but a lovely woman.

Neil McCann is great to listen to. One advantage he seems to have over a lot of other Scottish pundits is he actually seems to like football. I don’t believe a lot of them do. They certainly don’t act like it.

It actually highlights the small minded recruitment drive in the Scottish media....generate social media reaction with "controversial" (bullshit) statements and we will have a complete panel of tossers however have a respective in depth strategical discussion with those actually employed in the game and you may have limited air time given many 'punters' wont have a clue to comment on twitter

He loves Rangers, but doesn't allow that to cloud his judgement when he analyses the other games.

Great pundit, understands the game, only surprise for me is that he hasn't gone back into management.
I'm sure Neil would be an asset to Rangers in a coaching capacity. There are a lot of very good coaches at Ibrox at the moment, all helping the gaffer, and Gary Mac, get us to where we all want to be. Neil McCann, would enhance our coaching team, with the younger players. Along with Kevin Thomson, young players being coached in the correct way to play football by hero's that have been there and done it for Rangers, showing what is required to play for our club.

I really like McCann as a pundit, but he seemed a bit too fiery to be a successful manager - he fell out with people a fair bit. Maybe he’d be able to learn from that experience in another job but I suspect he’ll stick to the media work.

Agreed, 100%. Difference is also a very good player who won things vs. a journeyman plodder.

And Stewart's teuchter accent as well, brutal. Apologies to all teuchters reading this.
He’s not a Teuchter, unless Edinburgh is in Teuchterland

He is, quite literally, the ONLY Scottish pundit I truly respect in terms of his analysis of the game and intelligence.

Light years ahead of any of the usual pricks that BBC Hootsmon wheel out in the Saturday Shitscene

His passion for the game just shines through. I absolutely love it when he asks Gerrard questions. You can tell the respect goes both ways.
He is a great pundit and is very straightforward in his analysis.
You can tell when he speaks to the manager, that there is a mutual respect there.
The interview with the gaffer at the weekend was superb; I didn`t want it to end. :))
Mention also for the way SG was pleased to speak to Mark Hateley.
Back on topic though, Neil McCann could have any TV gig in Scotland (and the UK) until he retires. Unbiased opinion, genuine insight; and a presence that welcomes the viewer as if a friend is a fantastic combination. Rangers TV this season has been a joy to watch..

I don't expect perfect English from pundits but surely a pre requisite of the job is to have a passing acquaintance with the Queens English, or at least an enthusiasm for the game, Neil McCann is a breath of fresh air.

Back