Neil McCann picks his greatest XI

Crackin team the wee man picks, as mentioned already though, I would have definitely have Mols in there.

Good team,but I'd have Mols in front of Wallace and possibly Albertz ahead of Gio.
Mols every time for me here.
Albertz was never as good a player as van Bronckhurst but he done more for us.
I don't know what it is about van Bronckhurst with me but Ialways felt as if he could've done more.
Maybe the stepping stone thing was always in my mind but I never thought he had any emotional attachment to the club.
Maybe it's ho long he was injured for.

I don’t recall him scoring against the scum after his two goals to win the league , but He had several assists, lovenkrands in the final repeated last night , de boer header in 3-3 game just after they went 2-1 up, he even laid the pass off to the numan thunderbolt in game that was 1-1 n they are just off top of my head
I'm sure he crossed for De Boer in the 3-2 game at Ibrox and also for Albertz in the 4-0

Mols every time for me here.
Albertz was never as good a player as van Bronckhurst but he done more for us.
I don't know what it is about van Bronckhurst with me but Ialways felt as if he could've done more.
Maybe the stepping stone thing was always in my mind but I never thought he had any emotional attachment to the club.
Maybe it's ho long he was injured for.

We'll never know the truth about the injury troubles Gio had towards the end of his time at the club. Maybe he was protecting himself for the next move, although to be fair I do think he was rushed back from injury for the game against Graz in Austria & that gamble backfired.

I had no issues with his admission of using the club for a big move. He was typically Dutch in his honesty & self belief !! :)) We got 2 and a bit good seasons from the guy, he more than contributed towards a Treble & a Double, and then made the club a tidy wee profit when he moved on.

Could McCann get into the hall of fame? What do we think?

The goals at parkhead to win the league and performances at Hampden should be enough to get him there imo, from memory like most wingers he wasn't that consistent particularly against packed defences

I was going through the radio yesterday obviously listening to the Virus news.
Heard McCann on Radio Scotland.
He gives all his reasons for not picking so and so and it really was a brilliant half hour listening to him.
Young,English and the host were putting names to him and he would give them his reasons for not picking them.
i can honestly say its the best thing I've heard on the radio in the last three weeks.
Yeah I heard it whilst wating in B&Q car park for my goods, English kept throwing names at him, Neil shut him up quickly, English is a kunt that is so up his own arse

Some team he’s put together there!
I remember McCann having a cracking game against us for Falkirk in the 2009 Scottish cup final as well, think he hit the bar twice if I remember rightly.

Loved McCann must have been horrible to play against him. He could cut inside take it to the byline put in in first time. Full back couldn’t figure him out.

I love how some criticise a professionals choice when that pro played and trained with these choices for years...

You’re allowed to disagree with a professional though. You won’t get many people saying “ah well that referees a professional so he has to be right”

Ricksen in at right back.

He was an awful right back.

I love Fernando as much as the next bear, but i have seen him quite a few times in players 11s and my mates 11s at right back. Wee bit of revisionism going on as I remember him as terrible at RB. However, for a couple of seasons when he was moved into midfield (especially just before Barry came back) he was brilliant and instrumental in us having success.

Last edited:
That team makes me sad. How great if we could field a team like that today!! Was very lucky growing up supporting rangers when I did.

Let’s face it, Neill had so many good teammates to choose from, he could pick a second 11 almost as good as the ones he chose.

Surely taking the piss with the final sentence here.:)

Right-back – Fernando Ricksen

I’ve never seen anybody burn with such energy. Fernando just didn’t stop. We used to say to him he must have had a bowl of Smarties for his breakfast, he was just bouncing. He was a fierce competitor, and a brilliant teammate. You want someone to be tenacious in the full-back area, a good defender but plenty of energy going forward so he gets the nod ahead of Jackie McNamara.

Could McCann get into the hall of fame? What do we think?

He deserves to be in it after his rule book comeback against Andy Walker in an after match interview. Walker had queried an offside decision , Neil produced a rule book and waved it at Walker, “ There’s the rule book Andy”. Brilliant. He never lets us down.

Funnily enough I watched Barry Ferguson pick his XI on YouTube recently and he said the same about RdB. He basically had one good knee when with us.

Guy was still frightening.
De Boer was probably the most impressed/surprised (in a good way) I've ever been when hearing a signing announcement for us.

Had a look at what those 11 players achieved in terms of domestic honours over their careers.
Between them - 121, also 3 players with CL medals.

Sidenote: Fernando Ricksen's Wiki page looks as if it has been written by a rabid mentally challenged. The opening paragraphs appear normal but the section on his football career is really quite damning, full of his 'misdemeanours' rather than what he achieved as a footballer. Doesn't even have an 'Honours' section on it.
Scandalous, honestly if I had the ability to edit the whole page I would. :mad::(
I brought this up a while ago on a different site, I had asked if anyone who had better info than me could have a look at it but sadly I don't think my topic was even posted.

It was a disgrace, there was barely any mention that he was ever a footballer

To where we were, to where we went, to what we have now, that team breaks my heart.

Thanks Neil, you really brightened up a rather dull day. :(;):)

Decent wee team, without question. Along with big Jorg, Michael and few others that could easily have made up his team. We certainly had talent in abundance.

Neil McCann is a great wee man. Done the business and behaves impeccably. Can’t argue with his picks, he played with them and knows what he’s talking about even though I personally preferred Albertz but that’s a quality team.

The injury stole Mols career if you watch it again he could have landed on the goal keeper probably got sent off but wouldn’t have lost his career.
Remember watching Mols for the first time me and my Dad turned to each other and just went “whooooof”. If not for that injury he would of had his pick of clubs to play for. Top class

Surely taking the piss with the final sentence here.:)

Right-back – Fernando Ricksen

I’ve never seen anybody burn with such energy. Fernando just didn’t stop. We used to say to him he must have had a bowl of Smarties for his breakfast, he was just bouncing. He was a fierce competitor, and a brilliant teammate. You want someone to be tenacious in the full-back area, a good defender but plenty of energy going forward so he gets the nod ahead of Jackie McNamara.
I thought this,too...... thought Neil`s selections were his greatest Rangers XI until I read that sentence.
Cracking line-up he`s chosen;and what I love about articles like this; is the insider wee details on why Neil included a particular player;not necessarily on who he`s left out;and who I think should be in there.

No Michael Mols or Jorg Albertz surprises me.

We were robbed of Mols’ potential but to be fair, Wallace scored a bucketload in his first season with McCann, won the league at the piggery and then scored the winner in the cup to win us the treble (led to me getting engaged to Mrs Ibroxkev that night).

I actually loved McCann at the time, always felt some of the praise never went his direction at the time. But you look back, and i'm telling you he was a winger of extreme capabilities who could've went abroad. He was already a great pacy tricky small winger at hearts then with the quality surrounding him in the rangers eleven just elevated the performance. Immense. And also grateful he's been one of the former players to be consistently stick up for us in the media (and the irony is we doubted him when he signed coz he was a tim)

Back