Neil McCann

Under appreciated or overrated?

• Under appreciated offered far more than he gets credit for

• Bang average gets the recognition his service deserves

• Overrated the title win at the paedo dome and the cup final delivery at hampden bump him up

• Love the wee man a great in my eyes

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don’t think he’s underrated. You will barely find a Bear who watched his time with us who doesn’t speak very fondly of him. Given the millions we were spending at the time, he was also a player who proved real value for money.

I also think highly of him, but recall he could be an inconsistent and frustrating player at times, especially against the lower level SPL teams. In fairness, it’s hard
for a pacy winger to do much against a team who will sit very deep and have 6 players defending in the box every time he goes to put a cross in.

He gave us same great moments in the big games - the 2 goals which sealed the title are probably the most memorable, but as someone who enjoyed playing out wide in my youth, his cross for Lovenkrands winner in 2002 might be my favourite. That cross was a real thing of beauty.

Played in probably our most star studded era and was a standout at times

If his name was neilnho mcannaldo he would be remembered as a great

If he played for us now he would be in our top 3 players

The options arent great. Think he was very well thought of by most of the support and also appreciated.

A very good player for us and worked the line a treat with Arthur Numan. A really decent guy and helped to nail this myth that our support is indisposed to players and staff of any particular background.

To be honest, he is one of a few players from around that time who weren’t “as good” as some of what had come recently before - McCoist, Durrant, Laudrup, Gascoigne etc... but were a million miles better than a lot of what was to come over the next 15yrs or so.

I probably took him for granted to some extent - he was a cracking player and a great worker as well. It’s the workrate of the best players that puts them into that different level.

It's a strange one. Back in the day the zines (FF and number 1) had him down as the most republican rat that ever lived. I'm sure one article even had him down as turning up for training at Dundee wearing an IRA t shirt. Maybe the Gub or Dingers can confirm this.

I listened to him on radio Scotland yesterday and he had sussed our Morelos tactic within 5 minutes of kick off.

I like the guy but find it strange that he would jump the dyke in this manner. He's a pape from the Port. I'm a blue nose from Paisley who could never pull on their jersey regardless of what they paid me. Nothing to do with bigotry. My wife's a puddle drinker.

As I say it was a strange one for me.
He was more of a football player than a football fan... the rest of his family are Bheggars who sometimes went to see Morton.

Neil McCann was away playing for Dundee by his mid-teens and was much more about actually playing the game.

IMO he had bags of talent, skill & ability - along with a great attitude, work rate & motivation

He was a clever player - had great positional sense & fitted in well with those around him

I'd love a Neil McCann in my side every game

If he was under-rated during his time with us - I never noticed it - every one I know - or have talked to about him - rated him highly & was / is as appreciative of him as me

It's a strange one. Back in the day the zines (FF and number 1) had him down as the most republican rat that ever lived. I'm sure one article even had him down as turning up for training at Dundee wearing an IRA t shirt. Maybe the Gub or Dingers can confirm this.

I listened to him on radio Scotland yesterday and he had sussed our Morelos tactic within 5 minutes of kick off.

I like the guy but find it strange that he would jump the dyke in this manner. He's a pape from the Port. I'm a blue nose from Paisley who could never pull on their jersey regardless of what they paid me. Nothing to do with bigotry. My wife's a puddle drinker.

As I say it was a strange one for me.
Maybe he was just looking to take his career to the highest level he wanted and it may.well be that he wasn't that interested in that mob. Whatever his reasoning he was a success for us.

What’s not to like, his time at the club was a resounding success, he scored goals...some important ones had a great delivery into the box from the flanks setting up others and was also good through the middle too.

The wee man could get stuck in as well and always had a first class attitude conducting himself well on and off the park. In recent years he’s also spoken well of his time at the club and not allowed OTHERS to dictate the narrative regarding the past which is more than you can say about a lot of other ex players.

Absolute quality.

He provided the cross for one of my all-time favourite goals, RdB's header at the Piggery in 2002.

Loved him for us. He also speaks better off us than so called players who grew up supporting us. Few times on commentary I have heard him say we, when talking about rangers. Legend in my eyes.

Overrated? We have a hat full of wide players on our books just now, and none of them are anywhere near as good as was in the famous blue jersey.

Missed an absolute sitter v Galatasaray that ultimately cost us a place in the next round of the champions league. Was good apart from that.

I don’t think he’s underrated. You will barely find a Bear who watched his time with us who doesn’t speak very fondly of him. Given the millions we were spending at the time, he was also a player who proved real value for money.

I also think highly of him, but recall he could be an inconsistent and frustrating player at times, especially against the lower level SPL teams. In fairness, it’s hard
for a pacy winger to do much against a team who will sit very deep and have 6 players defending in the box every time he goes to put a cross in.

He gave us same great moments in the big games - the 2 goals which sealed the title are probably the most memorable, but as someone who enjoyed playing out wide in my youth, his cross for Lovenkrands winner in 2002 might be my favourite. That cross was a real thing of beauty.

Think his cross for de Boer v them at Mount doom was his best.

One of the best crossers of a ball weve had in recent years.Im sure he made a speech at Fernando Ricksens benefit match at half time that brought a wee tear to my eye(it was already an emotional day).

Loved him. Was one of my heroes as a kid.

I met him last year and he was a bit grumpy and I was a bit disappointed. Think I may have just caught him on a bad day.

Legends deliver big moments for the club and McCann provided a fair few of those!

Though my first season ticket was in the Broomloan Front in 01/02 next to some absolute roasters. They used to give McCann unbelievable stick every week for not taking on the full back every time. Mind you, Lovenkrands got the same abuse.

Brilliant player for us.His 2 goals at the piggery will never be forgotten.Glad to see him being part of the new RTV set up.

Last edited:
He was one of them signings that didnt come along with the big fanfare.

Great signing, worth every penny and more. Much like john brown was for us.

Hated him before he joined us. Didn't take long for me to change my mind, excellent player. He was that good at crossing I'm sure he scored direct from a corner against Aberdeen.

A Great player for us then and now a great pundit who doesn't put the boot in to the club like some others.

I'll always have very fond memories of McCann! He was a good servant for us and had some great performances.

A gentleman off the park too, and comes across well as a pundit. Just a decent guy to be honest.

Calling him a legend is a bit much though.

Back