Neil McCann

All this media talk is leading to our players getting booked for celebrating this weekend. Nothing surer

I could almost understand the scum's behaviour if we were neck and neck, but they are 9 points clear. How does this benefit them?

Agree he could have made his point in a far more controlled manner, but I don’t think he deserves to be condemned to the degree he has been for a comment that I’d describe as misplaced and overly critical. Over many, many years, McCann has been a tremendous player for Rangers, a very decent pundit and commenter for Rangers and also a backer / supporter of Rangers. For some to suggest that he never goes on Rangers TV again, or is never welcome in our ground again, is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. One ill-judged comment should not eradicate many years of positive Rangers contribution and endorsement.
Exactly over the past few months there has probably been a lot of us that called him an idiot at times ,even though we love the guy.

I love our new boss. I was worried, and thought our board made a lazy appointment, and I hope he keeps making me eat my words.
Just listening to this boy talking and watching how players have changed since he’s come in, for example, Kamara and Sakala.
I honestly think this is it. We’ve got the right man. Beale is a players manager and loves our club, and let’s be honest, he was the mastermind in the background when Gerrard was here.
I think we’ve found the man that’s going to bring consistency. Players want to play for him.
Fck the press. People like Michael Stewart etc. have took liberties for years. Sutton is another one. I don’t hate him. He’s a troll that attempts to be controversial.
Rangers are hated and I love that.
Let’s stop giving these pricks threads on FF. Playing right into their hands.
Just my opinion from an old bear (Rangers da, and granda)
I remember thinking the same when Mr Smith took over when Souness left, thinking it was a downgrade after the glamour of the magnificent one. And like you I had absolutely no problem eating my words, all the way to 9 in a row and beyond.

Totally agree , sometimes it’s hard to find the right words in the heat of the moment .

McCann is a good guy but he got that one wrong . He has slagged off Alfie a few times on rtv but has caveated that Alfie has scored way more goals for rangers than he has .
I listened to that part of the game on the radio at the time, abd it sounded like Buff had done something completely outrageous.
The commentators reactions were completely out of context to what actually happened on the pitch

Following on from his comments on sportsound last night

Can see alot of backlash online suggesting he shouldnt do RTV again after that (which i personally agree with) and now an article has appeared online where he brings hearts and neil lennon into to try and get out of his comments.
Thoughts?

CUT IT OUT

Neil McCann fears Neil Lennon Celtic repeat as Rangers hero wins support for Alfredo Morelos ‘idiot’ take vs Hearts​

NEIL McCANN has urged Alfredo Morelos to show a bit of class and stop needlessly antagonising opposition supporters - before something untoward happens.

The Rangers hero was forthright in his opinions after Morelos slid to his knees in front of fuming Jambos fans after both his goals during the Ibrox side's 3-0 win at Tynecastle.

The second of these came after a lengthy VAR check - when it was thought that the Colombian's 'goal' had been disallowed for offside - like three OTHER Gers efforts on the night.

But the goal was duly given, leading McCann to brand the star an 'idiot' for celebrating in front of the opposing fans during the 3-0 away win.

Asked to clarify his comments after the match, McCann drew the comparison of the night then Celtic boss Neil Lennon found himself attacked by a pitch invader from the Hearts end during a clash at Tynecastle back in 2011.

The fan was jailed for eight months for a breach of the peace at the match and handed a five-year football banning order.

McCann said he wished that referee John Beaton had BOOKED Morelos on the first occasion - as it would have nipped his behaviour in the bud.

McCann told BBC Sportsound: "I don't know why he does it, I know he's the pantomime villain.

"But he reacted when he scored the first one, a really good header, textbook, going towards the back post, super cross from Barisic and a bullet header.

"Then he goes to that little corner, and I've said how good this ground is, how close the fans are, he goes to his knees and antagonises them. I said at the time I didn't like it.

"The second one because we're waiting so long, I'm thinking he has no reason [to do it again], he's not wheeling away from a backward header.

"He has no reason other than to antagonise the Hearts fans again. It's right into the corner of the section.

"He is running AWAY from his own fans.

"I have seen him do that at Fir Park, if you remember away back, when he picked up his second yellow and got sent off.

"I just don't know what goes through the boys' head.

"And I don't like it, I was maybe strong in my comments, maybe I shouldn't have said that [called him an idiot]."

At this point, he got support from Aberdeen and Scotland hero Willie Miller, who pointed to similar antics during the 3-2 come-from-behind win at Pittodrie recently.

He said: "Neil, you should have.

"He did it at Pittodrie too, Arfield scored the goal, and Arfield goes into the ball to get the ball, he takes the ball before Arfield gets it.

"Arfield burrows away and goes to celebrate with his team-mates and Morelos is winding up the Aberdeen fans in the Richard Donald stand."

McCann added: "We have been in football grounds and watched games when we've been castigating fans for throwing things onto the pitch.

"Rightly so they should never take place but if you are going to that area ...

"I remember in that Motherwell game I think there were lighters and everything thrown at him.

"It just boiled over and fans just lost control. There is NO excuse for it, it shouldn't still happen.

"But all it takes is a headcase at the side of the pitch to decide 'I've had enough of it'.

"You will remember Celtic here when the fan jumped the dugout and attacked Neil Lennon, all it takes is one fan to think 'I've had enough of that' and he's on then pitch and we've got a horror story.

"I would encourage him [Morelos] that you can have a bit of banter, a bit of to and fro with the fans, but don't run past your own fans to celebrate on your knees to the away support.

"It is inflammatory and totally uncalled for and I actually think John Beaton should have cautioned him, then that puts a lid on it.

"Then Barisic kicks the ball into the fans and gets cautioned for it

"There was a bit of an atmosphere between the fans and the Rangers players tonight and they didn't need to do it because I thought they were streets ahead on the pitch.

If he appears on RTV again I will be cancelling my subscription & going the IPTV route instead.

Agree he could have made his point in a far more controlled manner, but I don’t think he deserves to be condemned to the degree he has been for a comment that I’d describe as misplaced and overly critical. Over many, many years, McCann has been a tremendous player for Rangers, a very decent pundit and commenter for Rangers and also a backer / supporter of Rangers. For some to suggest that he never goes on Rangers TV again, or is never welcome in our ground again, is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. One ill-judged comment should not eradicate many years of positive Rangers contribution and endorsement.
I do not hear him saying sorry for his comments.

I listened to that part of the game on the radio at the time, abd it sounded like Buff had done something completely outrageous.
The commentators reactions were completely out of context to what actually happened on the pitch

I was working back shift on Wednesday night so had the game on Radio Scotland and heard McCann go on about the celebrations. Then driving home and the summarising of the game was on and Dick Gordon decided to bring up the celebration thing again for McCann to continue his whining and auld Willie Miller to give his tuppenceworth too.

Later when the highlights were on I expected to see Morelos do something really inflammatory. It was nothing of the sort. All that’s happened is McCann is left sounding like a greeting face fanny.

He must really need the gig at BBC if this is the level he’s stooping to to retain it.

Quite like McCann on rtv and liked him as a player. But what’s he crying about her Morelos was 20 yards away from them nothing wrong with it. What is it with our ex players sticking the boot in. Heard Derick Ferguson say similar and I’ve seen Craig Moore sucking up to Hartson of all people. Wish we had some ex players that actually had the teams back.

So he says he shouldn't have said it. And he shouldn't have, it was stupid of him.

No doubt the perma angry will still want him banned and erased from our history or something.
He says he shouldn't have called him an idiot but then doubles down and insists Beaton should have booked him for something we see from players every week.

I don't understand this.
Who was calling McCann a fénian bastard all the time?
Because the implication from that 'story' is that it was Rangers fans. I don't remember our fans ever calling him that.
It's a joke that you hear at sportsman's dinners all the time. Can be adapted to suit anyone.

Poor words from McCann but I'm not for jumping in with the cancel culture pish.
He made a mistake and I'm pretty sure he knows it, Mcann is one of the good guys.
This. How many people were calling Alfie the same thing at Easter Road earlier in the season after his red card?
We've all said things in the heat of the moment in games then regretted it later on.

This is just a thread for the da's and best avoided in all honesty.

Mccann said something stupid (not like I love you). If anyone on here has been to a game, they may have done the same
Difference being we the fans are not paid by the club to appear on our tv channel. He called him a “idiot” more than once and clearly has a problem with him. And yet some posters still want him to appear on rangers tv crazy.

It's a fairly regular occurence to see opposition players rile up our fans when they score , cupping their ears etc. Not a feckin word is said about them.

Opposition player winds up Rangers fans - "Well Rangers fans should know better and behave themselves"

Rangers player winds up Opposition fans "Well Alfredo is an idiot and should know better"

He made a mistake and I'm pretty sure he knows it, Mcann is one of the good guys.
He won’t be cancelled, with unwarranted outbursts like that he willl have a long career in front of him on the (probably) more lucrative BBC Scotland formats.

He says he shouldn't have called him an idiot but then doubles down and insists Beaton should have booked him for something we see from players every week.
A booking???? someone should ask mccann about mains reaction when scoring against the sheep.ive lost a lot of respect for mccann this week.

This country is just so poison towards us. Our players aren't even allowed to celebrate anymore. Anything to take the attention away from a terrific performance.

Morelos doing the Morelos celebration he's done for 6 years.

It's okay for the away support to give it tight to Morelos yet he's not allowed to celebrate a goal that wraps up a tough away game.

Alright when Celtic players jump into the crowd though. Even the referee's don't book them.

Shut up, McCann. Get him off Rangers TV too.

Its absolutely bizarre the treatment Alfredo receives in Scotland compared to the way genuine scumbags like Griffiths, Stokes etc. have been treated over the years.
I was thinking about this exact bheast and came on to post.

Remember a wee while back when scarves were being tied to goal posts or when the said paedo player was blowing his rancid nose on our corner flag because it had the Rangers crest on it.

Nothing said, oh the banter.

But don't you dare celebrate a goal with a knee slide!

All this media talk is leading to our players getting booked for celebrating this weekend. Nothing surer

I could almost understand the scum's behaviour if we were neck and neck, but they are 9 points clear. How does this benefit them?
I'd like our whole team to do the Alfie knee slide towards the Ross co fans this weekend. Let's see the corrupt referee book our whole team for celebrating a goal.

Neil is well respected by the Rangers fans, long after his career at Ibrox finished. I don't know why and am genuinely surprised at his outburst towards Alfie. Very disappointing, tbh.
Media job awaits , has to prove his credentials first.

You’d think by the reaction on here that he'd have said something far more serious than calling Morelos an "idiot".

I’m obviously massively in the minority here but I’d prefer it if he just ignored the away fans and celebrated with us as well.

I take the point he has every right to respond to the abuse but shutting them up by banging in the goals and then completely dinigying them is just as effective imo.

Responding to it just shows them you’re affected by it.. and makes them more likely to continue.

I don’t think Buff needs called out necessarily on it but I think that’s the point Neil McCann was trying to make.

Maybe if Neil came on Rangers TV and explained what’s different when Morelos celebrates compared to his own celebrations when he was a player that would help.

We've all called him an idiot at some point , McCann shouldn't have said it on for celebrating a goal air even if he thinks it but we all make mistakes.
Yeah, but we all aren’t paid employees on the clubs TV Channel.

If he does genuinely regret saying it then a public apology should have happened. He hasn’t apologised, which tells me he meant what he said.

McCann only too happy to take the blue pound but shows that he is not averse to turning his back on us when the opportunity arises. He has set out his stall I hope it was worth it !

Yeah, but we all aren’t paid employees on the clubs TV Channel.

If he does genuinely regret saying it then a public apology should have happened. He hasn’t apologised, which tells me he meant what he said.
He should apologise for saying it but as I said he's entitled to his own opinion and I certainly dint think he should be cancelled from RTV, that's just buying into the absolute cultural shit show that's going on in wider society.

Last edited:
I like McCann as a pundit and generally he’s been one of the lone voices of reason & will fight our corner.

But surely he’s been in and around the Scottish media long enough to know their agenda, and the minute he let rip with the criticism of Morelos, he instigated the pile on by the usual suspects when it comes to Morelos, and inadvertently created a media shitstorm that’s even had Beale thinking “what the actual %^*& ??” at the fuss caused.

We all know Morelos has had his moments that have driven us mad, but celebrating a goal in his usual fashion really didn’t warrant the negativity and fall out that McCann has caused, and detracted away from what was one of our best performances of the season.

Folk comparing what we as fans might call Alfie if he has done something to damage the team is totally different to a commentator inviting a pile on to a guy who has just scored. NM is a smart guy and must know by his actions he will be greatly increasing the scrutiny on Alfie and liklihood of him being unfairly treated in future.

This has kind of passed me by a bit, as I was at the game and never heard his comments.

They were certainly poor and ill advised, but I'm sure he'll regret making them.
He's fought our corner plenty of times in the past, so I think I can manage to forgive him easily enough, for one stupid comment.

There's plenty of so called Rangers supporters on here, who've dished out far worse abuse to some of our players on a regular basis.

By keeping the spotlight and thus the pressure on us, and deflecting it away from them. They're rattled, as pointed out many times on here, so they roll out the usual tactics with their media friends. Radio silence in Gios last few months as they saw no threat.

Latest posts

Back