Neil McCann

The hypocrisy on here is off the charts. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

I don't think it's hypocrisy at all.

There's no issue if McCann calls him an idiot around family/mates/anyone, and I'm sure he does it plenty, the issue is doing it as a paid professional on the radio and also the manner in which he did it – why was he so annoyed?.

McCann's reaction to the celebration was very odd, something you don't expect to hear from any professional talking about a player let alone a player for the team he supports.

Well said mate. Was amazed it had ran to over ten pages when I logged in.

Maybe Suck had a point when he accused people of being precious.
Yes, I posted something on the first night and maybe another few posts but it's just going over and over the same things.
I'm sure by now McCann regrets what he said and is fully aware of the backlash.

There's no issue if McCann calls him an idiot around family/mates/anyone, and I'm sure he does it plenty, the issue is doing it as a paid professional on the radio and also the manner in which he did it – why was he so annoyed?.

McCann's reaction to the celebration was very odd, something you don't expect to hear from any professional talking about a player let alone a player for the team he supports.
I'm just pointing out the level of vitriol i've seen directed at players by supporters on here does not seem to correlate with the same people also wanting an ex-player tarred, feathered and shot out of a cannon for comments during a match.

Why was he annoyed? No idea, but does it undo all the positive stuff he's said over many years of talking about Rangers on the TV and radio?

We're now at the point where any comment in the media which isnt 100% positive in favour of us is treated like an attack.

For the record i think he (McCann) was totally out of order but it didn't upset me particularly.

Yes, I posted something on the first night and maybe another few posts but it's just going over and over the same things.
McCann should have known better, basically he's an idiot.

First of all - I like Neil McCann. Were his words wrongly phrased, absolutely 100%. Has he been frustrated wi Morelos over the years, yes like me and many of us. Have I screamed at telly idiot after his involvement in unsavoury incidents over the past few years including at Easter Rd earlier this season - Yes.

Should we hang him out to dry. No. Does he want us to win, Yes.

So let’s stop hating our former players, constructive criticism yes but let’s not go OTT. We are better than that.

Neil should say he made a mistake and his phraseology was OTT but only because he thinks Morelos has been letting us down with some o his antics over the period.

How can we now take McCann seriously as a pundit analysing Rangers on RTV.
“Well Neil, how do you think Alfie has performed today”
No matter what he says, we all know he thinks Morelos is an idiot.

Never been keen on ‘don’t do what I do, do what I say’ merchants and I’m surprised he chose to publicly enter the category. Always seemed sensible, in the past.

Maybe we can look forward to extended highlights on the BBC where every single player, of every single club, who noises up opposing fans is vilified one by one, and being accused of being in danger of “starting a riot” - or maybe not.
It’s a puzzle.

Lets see what happens, he’s put himself in a bit of a hole here.

First of all - I like Neil McCann. Were his words wrongly phrased, absolutely 100%. Has he been frustrated wi Morelos over the years, yes like me and many of us. Have I screamed at telly idiot after his involvement in unsavoury incidents over the past few years including at Easter Rd earlier this season - Yes.

So let’s stop hating our former players, constructive criticism yes but let’s not go OTT. We are better than that.

Neil should say he made a mistake and his phraseology was OTT but only because he thinks Morelos has been letting us down with some o his antics over the period.
I'm not sure why McCann should get off the hook on this one so easily.

He clearly has a low opinion of Morelos. That's fine, he's entitled to feel how he wants about anyone.

However, given the platform he was on, and who was around him, he clearly felt emboldened to air that opinion. He would never have said what he did if he was commentating on RTV.

Not only that, he appears never to have said anything similar about any other player when they have displayed similar behaviour, which makes it sound personal.

If I were making decisions at Rangers, I don't know if I would ban him completely from RTV, but I'd certainly be giving him an extended holiday, so that he had time to consider his actions.

Had a couple of days and still of the opinion he shouldn’t be on RTV again.

He’s seen plenty goals scored at Ibrox from opposition players, and the shooshing and celebrating directed to the home support, and he’s never called a player an idiot.

McCann has been around Rangers plenty to know the shit Alfie has had to put up - from abuse, opposition fans making signs about his mother, to the media circus created around him - he’s played to the gallery on Wednesday. Made his bed, he can lie in it with the other shite like Stewart and Thompson.

He clearly has a low opinion of Morelos. That's fine, he's entitled to feel how he wants about anyone.

However, given the platform he was on, and who was around him, he clearly felt emboldened to air that opinion. He would never have said what he did if he was commentating on RTV.

Not only that, he appears never to have said anything similar about any other player when they have displayed similar behaviour, which makes it sound personal.

If I were making decisions at Rangers, I don't know if I would ban him completely from RTV, but I'd certainly be giving him an extended holiday, so that he had time to consider his actions.
Very true.

His silence on this issue tells me he doesn't give a toss. Let's see what his next move is.

To allow this to be ignored should absolutely not be an option.
McCann cares about nobody apart from himself.
He is an arrogant guy away from football.

McCoist has called him daft and stupid several times. No rush to cancel Super though eh?

But you carry on.
It really depends on the context doesn't it, saying something he did was stupid or daft when he has gotten himself sent off or needlessly suspended or given the ref an opportunity to red card him, I have no issue with.
But calling him an idiot when it was his normal goal celebration and a long long way from the opposition fans is just attacking him for the sake of it, or to be accepted by his employers.

backlash is done over a period of time had the thread stopped after your 1st involvement McCann learns nothing , only after a period of time and the adding to the thread can we gauge ..........

i don't want him cancelled at all but how stupid would Rangers look tomorrow if they employed him for RTV ?

Yes GOG.

From my eyes, there is a lot of hypocrisy, and that’s all from McCann & other members of the SMSM.
Grigo
Thought you were referring to a bondage club there.haha
I do wish our ex players were more supportive of the club that fed them and in some cases continues to do so.
There can be a balance struck between a zealot and what they are actually employed to be which is an objective view of the game given by an ex professional.
However people like Hartson and Sutton are examples of a zealot being in equal measure 100% pro Silent Witness FC and Anti Rangers even with instances not being at games.
They will fight even with ex professional referees on decisions and never agree with them regardless of rational explanation.

I don’t think a blanket ban from RTV is the answer.
Maybe a Trevor Sinclair kinda informal suspension and then slowly reintroduce him.
If Sinclair can avoid blanket ban then I’m quite sure Neilly can do the same with RTV.

Nuff said

But what are they rattled about? They're still winning games, it's still a 9 point gap

I could see the point if we were catching them, but we aren't
Us not dropping points & playing better. One slip from them & it's on again. In the past, all the pressure was normally on the leaders from the media, not now.
Long shot for us I know, but it ain't over till its over.

backlash is done over a period of time had the thread stopped after your 1st involvement McCann learns nothing , only after a period of time and the adding to the thread can we gauge ..........

i don't want him cancelled at all but how stupid would Rangers look tomorrow if they employed him for RTV ?
I can't see McCann changing his views due to a thread on a message board.
He's a Hearts fan at his core anyone watching his commentary when we played Hearts in the cup final could tell that.
His RTV work will be up to the board and how they view him.

I agree that Neil McCann got his wording wrong, but he has every right to his opinion. We all know that if Kevin Clancy or Don Robertson been the referee at that game, they would probably have issued a red card, or at least a yellow. Don’t forget that Robertson has ‘previous‘, and sent Morelos off in a game v Motherwell for celebrating in front of opposition fans. Morelos is refereed differently from other players and we all know that the aforementioned referees have a dislike of him and take great delight in punishing him.

I can't see McCann changing his views due to a thread on a message board.
He's a Hearts fan at his core anyone watching his commentary when we played Hearts in the cup final could tell that.
His RTV work will be up to the board and how they view him.
Neil McCann openly admits to being a Hearts fan , not sure why some on here refuse to acknowledge that .

I agree Shropshire bear,howhe is treated differently, have yet to hear any pundits say so.should have been talking about it years ago ,young man in strange country getting dogs abuse every week,him and his family. No surrender w.a.t.p

I agree that Neil McCann got his wording wrong, but he has every right to his opinion. We all know that if Kevin Clancy or Don Robertson been the referee at that game, they would probably have issued a red card, or at least a yellow. Don’t forget that Robertson has ‘previous‘, and sent Morelos off in a game v Motherwell for celebrating in front of opposition fans. Morelos is refereed differently from other players and we all know that the aforementioned referees have a dislike of him and take great delight in punishing him.
Then call the referees out for their blatant bias then, rather then the player on the receiving end of it maybe? I'm pig sick of seeing Rangers players being treated differently to others and the media ignoring it.

If he'd have been booked for that celebration, a very large percentage of posters on here would have been annoyed because it would have been unnecessarily harsh. Beaton did the correct thing.

Neil McCann would still have been wrong if Beaton had have booked Morelos as the 'idiocy' would have sat firmly with John Beaton.

I’ve called Alfie an ‘idiot’ when he unnecessarily gets involved with an opposition defender, earning a card.

But I’m a supporter. We’re all prone to emotional outbursts.

McCann is a pundit and it’s indicative of the coverage of Scottish football and the undue influence of the media. We’ve seen it this week with Nicky Clark - Alfie will end up being booked for a celebration, a talking point created by an ex-player.

Sounds like he'd be a good option for Hearts TV - they should give him a go. The maroon pound however might not go quite so far as the blue one.

I'm sure there's plenty of others who could take his place at an ex-player event, some of the Scottish ones might even support Rangers...

Anyway, I don't think he'd have the brass-neck to turn-up to any such events now, especially after a public dig at the Rangers centre-forward for over celebrating against his very own Jambos.

Last edited:
Neil McCann openly admits to being a Hearts fan , not sure why some on here refuse to acknowledge that .
If he says he made the comment because he is firstly a Hearts fan then fine absolutely he's entitled to do that but as someone who has worked for Rangers surely that is compromised going forward ??

Ps , I like listening to McCanns opinions on games etc

I’ve never seen the hype with McCann. Even when he played for us.

I'm just pointing out the level of vitriol i've seen directed at players by supporters on here does not seem to correlate with the same people also wanting an ex-player tarred, feathered and shot out of a cannon for comments during a match.

Why was he annoyed? No idea, but does it undo all the positive stuff he's said over many years of talking about Rangers on the TV and radio?

We're now at the point where any comment in the media which isnt 100% positive in favour of us is treated like an attack.

For the record i think he (McCann) was totally out of order but it didn't upset me particularly.
Very well put

Then call the referees out for their blatant bias then, rather then the player on the receiving end of it maybe? I'm pig sick of seeing Rangers players being treated differently to others and the media ignoring it.

If he'd have been booked for that celebration, a very large percentage of posters on here would have been annoyed because it would have been unnecessarily harsh. Beaton did the correct thing.

Neil McCann would still have been wrong if Beaton had have booked Morelos as the 'idiocy' would have sat firmly with John Beaton.
Don’t forget that Collum sent off Daniel Candeias for blowing a kiss and Rangers officially complained that Collum couldn’t be impartial where Rangers are concerned. He still gets to referee our games. Michael Beale was punished for insinuating that Clancy was a cheat. It’s well known that Clancy can’t be impartial where Rangers are involved, but he still gets to referee our games. I don’t know what else we can do.

Don’t forget that Collum sent off Daniel Candeias for blowing a kiss and Rangers officially complained that Collum couldn’t be impartial where Rangers are concerned. He still gets to referee our games. Michael Beale was punished for insinuating that Clancy was a cheat. It’s well known that Clancy can’t be impartial where Rangers are involved, but he still gets to referee our games. I don’t know what else we can do.
Refuse to play or put the 2 year resignation notice in & within that 2 years find another league to play in Derry City have done it & endless other teams .

Have you seen some of the vitriol handed out on here to players, managers, coaches and board members? Take a look at any match day thread, or take a look at 90% of threads following a draw or defeat. McCann said something in the heat of the moment that seems to have been blown out of all proportion and for some appears to have wiped all the positive stuff he's said about us over the years. It's a bit ridiculous really. Apart from that, I'd suggest Morelos' biggest critic in the media is our own Ally McCoist.
McCann saying something on BBC is different from supporters on a forum.

All he’s done here is feed the media with pish on Morelos, who is abused at every ground he goes to. Forgetting the “Morelos mother is a mattress” banners? Just some craic eh?

McCann should know better, who needs enemies with friends like these.

Our ex players seem to love sticking the boot in at every opportunity. Compared to the other side of the city, they stick up for theirs regardless of how ridiculous they sound.

Why is he being employed by RTV then? Surely there must be decent pundit who is also a Rangers supporter out there who could do the gig just as well.
In saying that it seems a few ex players who supposedly support us are worse than McCann when it comes to their media reports.

Last edited:

Doubt he supports us.On RTV he never refers to us as WE and US.
Always Rangers this and Rangers that.

I 've listened to McCann like everyone else over the years , but have never really considered him to be " In our camp " so to speak .What stood out for me was he didn't criticise the way most other pundits have the habit of doing , ( Ex-Rangers especially, ) basically sat/sits on the fence. His comments on this occasion however were right out of the Sutton phrasebook and should be challenged. This was more than constructive criticism from one I respected by not being like the rest of them . Not any more though.

Last edited:
Maybe Neil isn't getting the Rangers TV gig anymore and he's thrown his toys out of the pram.? Its very disappointing.

Maybe Neil isn't getting the Rangers TV gig anymore and he's thrown his toys out of the pram.? Its very disappointing.

Maybe we weren’t interested in one of the players he represents as an Agent or maybe he put his hat in the ring for the coaching job that JJ just secured.

I tend to agree with you but calling alfie an idiot(true sometimes)for doing his celebration when oor Neil done the huddle at the paedodome when winning the league their,was far more provocative than Alfie's celebration it's the hypocrisy of Neil's comments that get me,then the whole of MSM jumping on it when fk all said about TLB spitting on our scarf and thumbheid wiping his big neb on our corner flag,as usual its blowout of proportion,and think wee Neil will regret it,but I've read worse on here said about Morelos so agree with you but that's on a Rangers Forum not supposedly impartial Radio or TV?

McCann saying something on BBC is different from supporters on a forum.

All he’s done here is feed the media with pish on Morelos, who is abused at every ground he goes to. Forgetting the “Morelos mother is a mattress” banners? Just some craic eh?

McCann should know better, who needs enemies with friends like these.

Our ex players seem to love sticking the boot in at every opportunity. Compared to the other side of the city, they stick up for theirs regardless of how ridiculous they sound.
I don't think the media needs feeding by McCann or anyone else. And reading the full script, he goes on to argue that Morelos was giving the ref a chance to book him, which given the officials in Scotland when it comes to Morelos, is fair comment. Be pissed off if he picked up a suspension down the line because of it, so you could argue he's looking at it with his Rangers hat on. Should he have called him an idiot? No and I think he's already acknowledged that himself. And of course broadcast media is different from a fans forum, but good luck telling guys who post stuff like 'I despise that c*nt' and similar about Rangers players and staff that saying it makes them any less of a Rangers fan. They'll argue it makes them super staunch in fact! That's also feeding the media, not to mention opposition fans, who log in here. McCann may not have covered himself in glory the other night, but he's got a helluva lot more right than wrong over the years. I don't think he deserves to be hung, drawn and quartered for it.

I tend to agree with you but calling alfie an idiot(true sometimes)for doing his celebration when oor Neil done the huddle at the paedodome when winning the league their,was far more provocative than Alfie's celebration it's the hypocrisy of Neil's comments that get me,then the whole of MSM jumping on it when fk all said about TLB spitting on our scarf and thumbheid wiping his big neb on our corner flag,as usual its blowout of proportion,and think wee Neil will regret it,but I've read worse on here said about Morelos so agree with you but that's on a Rangers Forum not supposedly impartial Radio or TV?
Not to forget the behaviour of their former captain with the tims and then dolly., never once criticised or called an idiot by any pundits or commentary. Don't ever remember any condemnation of the tim yon time removing the policeman hat and wearing it whilst celebrating a goal off the park. The commentators thought it was a laugh.....

I don't think McCann hates the club because he's labelled Morelos an idiot or maybe you could elaborate more on that point?

What a lot of shite.
If he thinks it’s acceptable to go onto a platform like BBC Scotland which hates our club and calls one of our players an “idiot” joining in with the bias then how can’t I conclude that he too, hates our club?

Didnt he take part in the huddle after that game,which was far more controversial and could have started a riot?

Yes he did.

People also forget that Neil McCann was a fiesty wee bastard as a player back in the day, it's one of the reasons we loved him as a player, used to get himself wound up at the special treatment he got on the pitch from opposition players. He we would give a bit back. The difference between him and Alfredo's behaviour on that front is minimal. Only there was no orchestrated media campaign painting him out to be a villain and he was never sent off or booked purely on reputation alone.

His beef with Alfredo appears to be quite personal, apparently Morelos blanked the RTV team a while back, didn't give an interview and that's gotten Neil's back up. He's been snide about Alfie ever since. His comments weren't professional and he made up an imaginary potential riot to justify his harsh choice of words.

By his logic Connor Goldson is an even bigger idiot for his celebration in the faces of the Hearts fans.
Or Borna for putting the ball into their support. Why is it Alfie that gets singled out. Oh yeah, BBC Scotland.

Back