Euro 2024 Netherlands v England - 20:00 - ITV

Time for Southgate to show some balls and go out and take that trophy

Already seeing some trying to dress up his record in preparation for defeat (2 finals, 1 SF, 1 QF) but if they don't win on Sunday the history books will show 4 tournaments and 0 trophies.

With the squad England have losing another final on Sunday will be total failure. They blew it against Italy, this is the shot at redemption

Fair play to England that was a deserving performance and a great goal to win it. Toss up who wins on Sunday. Means nothing to Scots regardless.

My reasons for not wanting England to win, were all confirmed within about 2 minutes of the game ending. What's App bursting with English celebrations and "It's Coming Home" videos. A group of England lads who hadn't opened their what's app mouths for about 4 games.

England deserved to win and the penalty was one of those, "you've seen them given". "Match fixing" is lunacy. Less of a penalty than Armstrong's in my opinion, but the better team won.

For the record, can someone explain how a trophy can "come home" if you've never won it before? Seems like a stretch.

My reasons for not wanting England to win, were all confirmed within about 2 minutes of the game ending. What's App bursting with English celebrations and "It's Coming Home" videos. A group of England lads who hadn't opened their what's app mouths for about 4 games.

England deserved to win and the penalty was one of those, "you've seen them given". "Match fixing" is lunacy. Less of a penalty than Armstrong's in my opinion, but the better team won.

For the record, can someone explain how a trophy can "come home" if you've never won it before? Seems like a stretch.
Coming home to football invented land.

They certainly do have many good players but the fact is they have yet to be tested yet against a decent team not the mince they have struggled against so far
Sunday will be a huge step up against by far the best team in the tournament and we will see then how capable this England team is
If they can beat Spain fairly without a ridiculous penalty decision then I will congratulate them as winners
That’s totally irrelevant. You can only beat the opposition you play against.

I doubt you’d say the same when Rangers reach a particular final.

Well done England on reaching the final.

Spain will be too strong I suspect but still, a great achievement for them and for Southgate who let’s face it was a Bellingham goal away from getting lynched.

His record is now unquestionable as England Manager.
Are you Nostradamus ?

"It" being football as opposed to the trophy.

The clue is in the song lyrics. "Football's coming home"

I hope you aren’t an Oasis fan and trying to work out the lyrics to their first number 1 in Some Might Say!

TBF they weren't wrong. And if Southgate wasn't getting it tight from all areas would he have changed things?

I don't think anyone needs to eat humble pie. The criticism was warranted at the time.
If it wasn’t for that Jude Bellingham 95th minute equaliser against Slovakia he’d be out of a job already.

England were terrible up until that point but have steadily improved since and now have a real chance of winning.

Southgate deserved all the criticism he was getting in those early stages, but he surely deserves much of the plaudits now?

If it wasn’t for that Jude Bellingham 95th minute equaliser against Slovakia he’d be out of a job already.

England were terrible up until that point but have steadily improved since and now have a real chance of winning.

Southgate deserved all the criticism he was getting in those early stages, but he surely deserves much of the plaudits now?
Yeah he changed a bad system and deserves praise for it. But the criticism he got at the time was more than warranted

Ian Wright is beyond a parody of himself.
Him claiming the challenge on Kane was deservedly a penalty completely undermines him.
I appreciate a penalty was given but it was utterly ridiculous.
I was amazed at how calm the Dutch were in the face of such a ludicrous decision.

W

Are you seriously playing the it's the celebration card?

Not that what I think matters, but on the principle of who has played the best football throughout, I want Spain to win.

But if England win, it's not the end of the world. My world begins and ends at Ibrox.

I don't think England have offered as much as their overall potential suggests they should have. But playing below par and getting to the final? If you are English you must be in clover right now.

Then you have the three amigos in attack. I think it's ominous the way Foden, stuck out last night, especially with his skill and that effort that scudded the bar. The atmosphere in the English camp must be off the scale right now.

However, Spain are a different proposition from a dreadful Dutch side.

And yes it has to be repeated, it was never a penalty.

Last edited:
I personally don't understand non-English Rangers fans supporting them, but international football isn't what brings us together so you can't expect us to agree on everything outside of the club we all adore.
For me, England were the better team last night and deserved to go through. But you can't ignore the utterly scandalous penalty decision they got, which inevitably becomes the big talking point. An "if only" argument, but I can see the merit of saying things could easily have turned out differently if that penalty wasn't given.
Those attempting to justify the penalty award have to either be at it and letting their support of England override what they really think, or they have been so programmed by the stupidity of the "studs up / there was contact" rubbish we get fed all the time that they've forgotten what football actually involves. Between the handball rules and the interpretation put on natural contact between players, the rule makers are making a mockery of the game. The number of penalty kicks we now see bears that out, it's just ridiculous.
On saying all that, the England team of most of the first half were pretty good, and play like that in the final and they have a real chance. I do think Spain have been by far the best football team of the tournament and deserve to win it. But they are by no means certain.
Looking forward to a great final, I won't pretend to support England in it, but if they do win it won't be a disaster for me either.

I personally don't understand non-English Rangers fans supporting them, but international football isn't what brings us together so you can't expect us to agree on everything outside of the club we all adore.
For me, England were the better team last night and deserved to go through. But you can't ignore the utterly scandalous penalty decision they got, which inevitably becomes the big talking point. An "if only" argument, but I can see the merit of saying things could easily have turned out differently if that penalty wasn't given.
Those attempting to justify the penalty award have to either be at it and letting their support of England override what they really think, or they have been so programmed by the stupidity of the "studs up / there was contact" rubbish we get fed all the time that they've forgotten what football actually involves. Between the handball rules and the interpretation put on natural contact between players, the rule makers are making a mockery of the game. The number of penalty kicks we now see bears that out, it's just ridiculous.
On saying all that, the England team of most of the first half were pretty good, and play like that in the final and they have a real chance. I do think Spain have been by far the best football team of the tournament and deserve to win it. But they are by no means certain.
Looking forward to a great final, I won't pretend to support England in it, but if they do win it won't be a disaster for me either.
You would be surprised by how many Scottish people support the England National cricket team.

Kane's remarkable recovery. After rolling about holding his ankle and finally getting a penalty. He gets up and takes the penalty. The English team's physio must be very, very good or Kane was feigning being injured. But I suppose this is sadly part of the modern game.

Ian Wright is beyond a parody of himself.
Him claiming the challenge on Kane was deservedly a penalty completely undermines him.
I appreciate a penalty was given but it was utterly ridiculous.
I was amazed at how calm the Dutch were in the face of such a ludicrous decision.
It’s a penalty for me on the current rules, sadly.

If you go into block a shot with a straightened leg and all studs showing and DON’T take any of the ball, you’re in hot water.

Back