Euro 2020 Netherlands vs Austria 8pm BBC1

Might be a few of these. Realistically Scotland need a point tomorrow so unless something crazy happens , 3 points and a negative goal difference won't cut it. At least they can just trot up the road after Hampden for the majority of them.

Yeah I said that earlier.

Bit difficult to predict...Switzerland and turkey draw and 3rd place there will have 2 points which would be one of the groups out of the running.

But yeah without a point Tommorow it will be virtually impossible. Knowing Scotland it could be all 3 Tommorow before collapsing against Croatia and going out

We might actually be in the situation if results go that way that the teams playing each other on 3 points know they will qualify before a ball is kicked! Was it not Austria that did that before in the World Cup ?

He did, elbow on Kamara IIRC.

Was harsh,I think.

I’m sure that was the delayed coverage Premier game where Alfie scored 4.
Was the game the arsehole who sits two along from me screamed "take it fcuking quick Rangers ya shower of pricks", face all scarlet and spittle flying everywhere. Was a corner in first half injury time. We were 2-0 up. Never wanted to punch a guy more in my life :D

We might actually be in the situation if results go that way that the teams playing each other on 3 points know they will qualify before a ball is kicked! Was it not Austria that did that before in the World Cup ?
You thinking of when them and Germany effectively played a game of keep ball for 90 minutes to ensure they both went through?.

Was the game the arsehole who sits two along from me screamed "take it fcuking quick Rangers ya shower of pricks", face all scarlet and spittle flying everywhere. Was a corner in first half injury time. We were 2-0 up. Never wanted to punch a guy more in my life :D
That’s one thing I’ve not missed about Ibrox, I’ve moved seat so hope the lads in MRA are a good bunch!.

I was at fives and finished at 8:30, was proper will power not looking at my phone!.

Used to be a great pleasure to avoid scores as a kid then watch the highlights on a Saturday night without knowing the score.

Of course it was easier when we didn’t have phones and you just had to avoid Ceefax

The Dutch bring on a 19 year old midfielder. Spain had an 18 year old start the other day.

Meanwhile, Scotland have a handful of young players 18-21 year old who are arguably better than those starting ahead of them. They don't get a game because of age and experience.

Thats part of the reason football in this country is where it is

I'm not sure what people expect anymore. I've enjoyed a lot in this tournament and thus far, attacking football has been rewarded.
I'd just like teams to try harder to score goals. So many potentially promising attacks end with teams playing one-twos all the way back to their own centre halves or goalkeeper.

That game had potential but it seems like players try so hard to show they're composed by slowing things down to walking pace and killing any excitement.

I'm probably just being miserable, I'll accept that, but modern tactics ain't for me. Would be nice to see a team trying to score 5 in a game rather than protecting leads.

Austria couldnt handle the press of the Dutch tonight. They atually had some good possession but were lacking in movement in the final 3rd.

I'd just like teams to try harder to score goals. So many potentially promising attacks end with teams playing one-twos all the way back to their own centre halves or goalkeeper.

That game had potential but it seems like players try so hard to show they're composed by slowing things down to walking pace and killing any excitement.

I'm probably just being miserable, I'll accept that, but modern tactics ain't for me. Would be nice to see a team trying to score 5 in a game rather than protecting leads.

But it's not modern, though. There were many dull games/tournaments in the past. I think there's a bit of misty-eyed nostalgia going on (which we all indulge in).

A poster on here the other day suggested that there were several teams at this competition that really should have been back home, watching it on telly, or getting ready for a Sunday Pub League game somewhere.

Austria were another of those sides imo -- Netherlands deserved to win of course, but if Austria had just been that bit more direct rather than fann*ing about, running forwards and deciding to pass back to their own goalie, getting the break of the ball forwards and just standing their wondering if they've left the kitchen light on or not, etc ...

Then we might have seen more of a challenge to the Dutch.
Who tbh, looked very pretty when going forward but looked to me to be vulnerable in defence.

But it's not modern, though. There were many dull games/tournaments in the past. I think there's a bit of misty-eyed nostalgia going on (which we all indulge in).
I think there is a little bit of that, but there is also way more emphasis on systems being used to negate teams than there ever has been. 4-4-2 and a good old shoot out is where it should be!

I mentioned in another thread, but the Turkey V Wales game is the exception that proves the rule. Two teams who thought they were better than the other going after a win and we end up with a really exciting, fairly end to end game.

You're always going to get dull games, there just seems to be way more than the exciting ones now.

Austria couldnt handle the press of the Dutch tonight. They atually had some good possession but were lacking in movement in the final 3rd.
That was some impressive badgering by the Dutch last night. As great as they looked with the ball, anytime they were out of possession there was a player or double, sometimes trebles, on the Austria.

Like Italy the night before, Holland were even more impressive than their first match. Really strong control of the ball, total composure in the build up and the patience to keep moving it until something opened up. They look like theyll score in every game and have some really exciting players going forward from all areas.

Some people have questioned their defence but it doesnt seem particularly dodgy to me. Theyre not slow and are very comfortable on the ball, each of them reacts very quickly and has good positional sense. I think the fact VVD is not there makes some folk assume theyll just collapse but it hasnt materialised, if anything it seems to have made the other players step up somewhat to cover the loss.

Depay has been in sensational form for the last couple seasons and it seems like another mistake from Man Utd not finding a way to make it work with him. Hes the main striker but he somehow finds time to drop deep and link play, take set pieces and drag opponents around to create space for others. He looks superb this Summer and going to Barca will only bring further improvements.

The draw wont allow it but Italy/Holland in the final would really be something special.

Back