Never mind the team, what about us?

alex wright

Tonight was a struggle, no arguments from me there. This team aren't good enough to kill games at 1-0 yet and fans are good at spotting a team that isn't putting it all in irrespective of the motive.

But, I think we need to look at ourselves too. First league match after a brilliant victory and, if we are being honest, the starting atmosphere was poor.

If fans really are the 12th man they need to inspire the players not the other way round. For all the talk about how much 55 will mean to each and every one of us we need to ask ourselves why this isn't being transmitted to the players in the stadium.

We need to find a way to drive the team instead of being lead.

First half up until the goal all I could hear was folk talking away to each away, not any moans or groans, just chat.

Tonight was a struggle, no arguments from me there. This team aren't good enough to kill games at 1-0 yet and fans are good at spotting a team that isn't putting it all in irrespective of the motive.

But, I think we need to look at ourselves too. First league match after a brilliant victory and, if we are being honest, the starting atmosphere was poor.

If fans really are the 12th man they need to inspire the players not the other way round. For all the talk about how much 55 will mean to each and every one of us we need to ask ourselves why this isn't being transmitted to the players in the stadium.

A Wednesday night in January with 49,000 and your moaning that the stadium wasn’t bouncing for St Mirren playing 11 men behind the ball.

These games have always been like this, in fact in years gone by during successful seasons the stadium would have been at around 35,000 and that’s a fact.

Get tae yer bed n stop moaning

100%, given all we’ve been through now we’re back in a genuine title race Ibrox should be absolute bedlam for the full 90 mins.

Our loyalty has been second to none throughout the lower leagues but our vocal support of the team at home this year has been piss poor In domestic games.

A Wednesday night in January with 49,000 and your moaning that the stadium wasn’t bouncing for St Mirren playing 11 men behind the ball.

These games have always been like this, in fact in years gone by during successful seasons the stadium would have been at around 35,000 and that’s a fact.

We are loyal but are we a driving force that might just swing the league in our favour? Success breeds complacency, we should be champing at the bit to win something, anything. This isn't the 80's.

Don’t think the guy next to me had a positive thing to say the whole game. It’s honestly pathetic at times, was twitching and shouting for %^*& sake near every minute.

Gerrard has already public said the players need our support. Some absolute dafties in our support just don’t grasp it.

Can understand the fans frustrations, it was pretty dire to watch. Has to work both ways, fans will always be behind the players if the players give something entertaining to get behind

Can understand the fans frustrations, it was pretty dire to watch. Has to work both ways, fans will always be behind the players if the players give something entertaining to get behind

That's not it really working both ways though. Borna loves the fact that the fans are singing a song about him, but the reality is it didn't really inspire him as the song was first sung after he had turned his form around, something a certain Ally McCoist can identify with.

Fair play to you mate - written that well and got to say I totally agree

It would have been bouncing if it wasn’t for people being forced to walk through ‘plumes’ of vapour when entering the stadium.

The only noise I heard from the Copland all night was a loud collective moan when a move broke down in the 65th minute.

Chronic from the self-styled "Rangers end".

Quite happy to sit in a library as long as we win every game. I’d even go for 1-0 every game. Admittedly it would be crap entertainment value from a fans point of view but by feck what a party we would have with #55 in the bag.

Unfortunately we know it's going to be flat at these games. Many reasons but something has to change as we looked flat on the park and the fans are able to lift the team. More urgency on the park and we wipe the floor with shite like st Mirren

I would agree with you, but never as low as 35,000.Maybe 35,000 when the club deck was being built.

Gotta take the rough with the smooth. If everything was closer to an equilibrium then the highs wouldn’t be as high. 1-0, job done, stress over.

Delighted with 3 points. I don't give a fk if we play pish and win

Michael Beale talked about it, again, in his RTV interview.

Just watched it actually.

There's no doubt that management staff are aware of the potential of the Ibrox crowd but want to see it a bit more, it's been mentioned a few times now. I do wonder if it's partly to do with the shift from 'traditional' tunes, I love these new songs but I've no idea how they go other than the 'Bad Moon Rising' one.

I have to disagree with you , I doubt very much you would find an attendance of 35000 at a league match at Ibrox.

Just watched it actually.

There's no doubt that management staff are aware of the potential of the Ibrox crowd but want to see it a bit more, it's been mentioned a few times now. I do wonder if it's partly to do with the shift from 'traditional' tunes, I love these new songs but I've no idea how they go other than the 'Bad Moon Rising' one.

I think it's got more to do with an aging support and the reduction in alcohol consumption before games. The away fans seem younger and drunker :D

I think it's got more to do with an aging support and the reduction in alcohol consumption before games. The away fans seem younger and drunker :D

Alex, you're being harsh blaming it on the oldies and the sober, in truth I think our support still harbours a sense of entitlement. The bare minimum accepted at Ibrox is a victory regardless of performance al a tonight, it won't have people dancing in the street but it will do...just don't expect any praise for it.

Dont think its just a rangers problem i think most teams in uk struggle to have good atmosphere for all home games especially if game isnt great.
Drink at football and safe standing would help imo

Some of the abuse JF and CG we’re getting from around us was a joke , sometimes makes you wonder if they actually watch the game or sit on Facebook to find things to moan about, one clown went on all night that Connor didn’t know how to play against the big centre even though he won 99% of 1 on 1’ with hin

23504t.jpg

I can't be the only one whose mind instantly went to this when reading the thread title

I couldn't make the game last night so can't really comment on that, but I genuinely thought when we put ourselves in a position to challenge Ibrox would be bouncing every week and roaring the team on to victory. I think some of our fans are so terrified of them winning 10IAR that it has turned them into a bunch of screeching vaginas.

I doubt there will be any noticeable improvement for these games until safe standing comes in. I'd love to stand and sing the whole game but I know I wouldn't make it past the first minute before people behind told me to sit down. And I have no real issue with that, if people want to sit that is their right.

One of the best atmospheres this season was during the Legia game when it was stopped due to the smoke and it felt like the whole stadium was singing Derry's Walls. I think that was partly because people felt free to stand as they weren't obstructing anyone's view of the game.

No easy solutions but I think safe standing areas will definitely improve things.

It has been the same as far back as I remember.
Theres a few medium term solutions.
1 Union bears relocated to a betterposition.
2 Safe standing section. A lot of FF seem to want Copland front . Personally id prefer the 2 enclosures.
3 A massive logistical change where bears are relocated with there pals instead of sitting alone. Many think this makes no difference but i think theres always a better sing song when with pals rather than spread across different sections.

I think the club need to drive this as keeping the status quo will meangrs like last night again and again.

Too many folk never sing. Even when a lot of the stadium is singing the same song. The same folk often don’t shout, even a ‘come on Rangers’. Many only clap when there’s a goal. Are these folk even really supporters? Why are they there? That’s not support. Has done my head in for years.

I sat beside my mate one time for a Rangers game at Hampden. He didn’t shout or sing or clap good moves. He barely even clapped at a goal. He never wears any colours to a game, not even a scarf. Has had a season ticket for years but I wouldn’t call him a supporter. I’d call him a fan of the club, but he displays no support.

kind of hard to see how things are going to get any better in regards to the atmosphere our home crowd provides,we have for the most part of our history been able to pull out huge crowds but can we really say hand on heart we are a support that creates great atmospheres,im not convinced we can, sure ive had some fabulous times at Ibrox,a 3-2 comeback win against that shower in 1977,the likes of dynamo kiev,the sheep game to win the league, leeds and marseille games, and others,but when you look around europe and see the atmospheres teams with nowhere near the crowds we get can create then i think we just have to say that maybe we are not as good at getting an atmosphere going than we think, this is by no means a put down or a dig at our support by any means ,but my observations over the decades i have been going to Ibrox

First half up until the goal all I could hear was folk talking away to each away, not any moans or groans, just chat.
The football is a social thing aswell you are allowed to chat it at. I talk away to my pal at it. It’s not 90 mins of king Billy’s on the wall.

Back