New centre back priority for January

Bassey is never a centre half. No particular critique last couple of games other than he should have done better with goal today, acquitted himself well. Only want to see him there as emergency cover though, his positional discipline needs work if he is to play there more reguarly.

Would be my starting left back though just now, no question.

Goldson has improved the last couple for me.

But still agree that more than anyone he looks like he has the potential to cost us goals.

January will be interesting in regards to him.

Why not? Goldson has had one good season, he constantly gives goals and chances away.
I like Souttar, always have but I would like better quality than him to be my first pick.
Of course, the quality may be an assumed one, considering that for no real reason other than him playing in a better league than ours, I reckon Doekhi a step up on him.

Goldson will be a bit miss - he starts a lot of our moves with his distribution which to be fair sometimes doesn't come off. The thing is very few would even have the confidence to try most of them.

Not many ball playing centre-backs in our league but he is the best by some distance.

Souttar/Doekhi/Bazoer. Take your pick.

All 3 ideally.
Bazoer is not what you're wanting if it's two centre backs. He is excellent on the ball and more suited to defensive mid, he isn't defensively solid though.

I agree it is a priority though, get Doekhi on a pre-contract and tell Goldson to sign for someone and ask if they want him early for a bit of cash, then use that cash to get Doekhi in early.

Why not? Goldson has had one good season, he constantly gives goals and chances away.
Goldson has played every single game the last two years barring one absence to isolate due to Covid. He can play two games a week without breaking a sweat. Been off form yes but instrumental in a record breaking defence last season.

Souttar isn’t fit to lace Goldson’s boots. There is not a chance in hell he can play even 75% of the games Goldson does without getting injured.

Goldson is a colossus and very hard to replace. Souttar would be a good upgrade on Simpson. Goldson needs to be replaced by greater quality like Doekhi.

A good centre back signing has to be the priority. Get Helander back and move Bassey to left back.

Our attacking players are more than good enough

We desperately need at least one other centre half.

Goldson is way off form.

It remains to be seen what Katic will be like post injury,if he does get recalled.

Simpson just isn't good enough.

Helander out long term.

Goldsons passing made him look worse today probably surface has a bit to do with it

One jammy punt their goal came from rest was no too bad

Team has been low in confidence of late, you can still see that in a few of them. A few good wins and some early goals and I am hoping our defence start to believe a bit more and appear so panicked.

That said new centre half required anyway so if someone available now let’s get them in.

Not getting a good CB in january unless we pay silly money which we won't. Best we can do is get Katic back as an option or use youngsters. Summer will be the target
Doeki wouldn't cost much especially if we tie him on a pre contact first

Souttar has been miles ahead of Goldson this season. He was fantastic last season no doubt, but I’d guess that is levels he has never hit and will never hit again.

Depends what you want from your CB i guess. On that chart Goldson is ahead on defensive duels, ariel duels, long passes, accuracy of passes and has committed less fouls. Would you rather have someone who is poorer in all those areas but can dribble better and win more arial duels in the opposing box? I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong I thought he was really, really poor in sections of today's game, but comparing the 2 I'd still rather have Goldson.

Depends what you want from your CB i guess. On that chart Goldson is ahead on defensive duels, ariel duels, long passes, accuracy of passes and has committed less fouls. Would you rather have someone who is poorer in all those areas but can dribble better and win more arial duels in the opposing box? I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong I thought he was really, really poor in sections of today's game, but comparing the 2 I'd still rather have Goldson.

Thankfully someone else sees this.

The Souttar responses are the usual SPFL snobbery. Similar for Jack and Kamara. They don't always work but Souttar on a bosman is more than worth a punt.

His current stats are similar/better than Goldson, breaking into his national set up and scoring a goal against the world cup semi finalist's.

If he had a Dutch surname people would be Cummin in their pants at a link to him.

Remember when it comes to our league, these clubs don't have the coaching, facilities or players around him that he would here. Training with better coaches and players generally tends to improve a player.

In terms of a homegrown Scottish CB who would suit the way we play he is the best we can get by a wide distance. Would I want him as a first choice CB, probably not but he is more than good enough to be our 3rd/4th choice CB. He is levels above Simpson and we desperately need home grown players for Europe.

The Souttar responses are the usual SPFL snobbery. Similar for Jack and Kamara. They don't always work but Souttar on a bosman is more than worth a punt.

His current stats are similar/better than Goldson, breaking into his national set up and scoring a goal against the world cup semi finalist's.

If he had a Dutch surname people would be Cummin in their pants at a link to him.

Remember when it comes to our league, these clubs don't have the coaching, facilities or players around him that he would here. Training with better coaches and players generally tends to improve a player.

In terms of a homegrown Scottish CB who would suit the way we play he is the best we can get by a wide distance. Would I want him as a first choice CB, probably not but he is more than good enough to be our 3rd/4th choice CB. He is levels above Simpson and we desperately need home grown players for Europe.

Na. I just want to replace Goldson with better quality. Not worse.

Injury history a concern for me.

4th choice and a replacement for Simpson. I’ll give you that. Souttar doesn’t challenge any of our three CB’s; Goldson, Balogun and Helander.

I think Golson and Barisic will be away in January and maybe one or two others. Gio and Vos will have replacements in mind. Of course that depends if there are any takers.

I think it’s really clear we need a centre back and a rapid right winger. I think that will be sorted early doors January.

With most people it’s not snobbery it’s his injury record.

If Katic has a future at Rangers he would not be away now.

Simpson seems inexplicably not getting a chance even when we literally have nobody else at to naturally play there.

Lewis Mayo didn't play for partick thistle in the scottish cup on friday night. Be interesting to know if he was injured or Rangers requested he didn't play to keep him from being cup tied. I can see us recalling him in January

Back