New European Record on the cards?

Similarly to Alfredo’s goal scoring record in comparison to Ally’s, I don’t think we should be including qualifiers in things like this.
Had a shocker here will hold my hands up, always listened to those who said “all Super’s goals were in the proper competition but”

Had a shocker here will hold my hands up, always listened to those who said “all Super’s goals were in the proper competition but”

I saw pretty much every game Super Ally played for us Sula, either live or on TV.

Of course he was a legend of our club, no question, as a player.

I think football is so different nowadays from back then, but both him & Alfie’s achievements are outstanding.

But Alfie is 3 more without penalties & 19 more opportunities to add to his tally to balance the appearances.

I don’t think we need to dissect whether games were qualifying or not, and would suggest that the standard of opponent on average was not dissimilar.

If we want to compare them in a fairer way, then I’d say yes.
We should probably then compare number of games played, competition played in, how many penalties ect ect.

Awa and stop talking pish. A goal against a side in Europe in a competitive game is all the same.

Edit: I see its all been covered

If we want to compare them in a fairer way, then I’d say yes.

How do you compare them, then? Ally McCoist scored lots of his goals before the group stages were even a thing. The only way to judge it is to include all goals. Pretty sure McCoist only has 2 goals in group stage games across his Rangers career, are they the only ones that count?

Pish utter

Exactly. It's like the nutters who reckon none of morelos's goals count except the ones against celtic... Therefore he's pish!

Let's face it, the qualifiers were against diddy teams.

Galatasary? Who? Cannae even spell them!
Willem Ii? What quality teams have ever come out of the Netherlands?!? Doesn't count!

Its nonsense.

When you consider the relative positions of the squads. The money we had, the superstar quality of the supporting cast... You would argue that its McCoist, not Morelos, who had the easy path to 21 goals! And no manager of Rangers pre-2012 had more of an uphill battle in Europe than Gerrard!

It was a qualifier to reach the group stage
I was wrong about it being the 1st round, Leeds was actually the 2nd round.
That season of the CL also had a preliminary round (akin to a qualifying round now), then we played in the 1st round against Lyngby then the 2nd round against Leeds. There were only 16 teams in the 2nd round, and 8 involved in the group stages.
It was not in any way shape or form what we would equate to a qualifying round of any sort, since the Leeds games were the last 16 teams standing.

Similarly to Alfredo’s goal scoring record in comparison to Ally’s, I don’t think we should be including qualifiers in things like this.
Qualifiers are part of the competition if you lose you are out if you win you continue! So they must count!

You could consider it an advantage to score more goals but then again teams that start later have a bigger advantage more cash is guaranteed, no chance of losing players to injuries ete etc

It is what it is!

Facts are facts, Ally only scored 2 goals in the Champions League group stages (both v Grasshopper). This myth that seems to be going round that he was prolific on this stage needs to go. He was part of the 90s Rangers team under Smith that one season apart went from one embarassment to another in europe

This isn't an attack on McCoist or Smith, both wonderful for us on the whole.

It's also a bit unfair to compare the records as european football is a lot more common place now compared to the 80s/90s. Morelos has equalled McCoists european tally in 4 season however we've played a lot of games in that short period in comparison to what McCoist would have in the 80s/90s.

McCoist played in a Rangers team that were unfairly denied a spot in the Champions League final. Let that sink in. We were literally one of the best teams in Europe of the time.

Alfie is playing for a Rangers team emerging from arguably the toughest period in our history. His European record is truly remarkable

McCoist played in a Rangers team that were unfairly denied a spot in the Champions League final. Let that sink in. We were literally one of the best teams in Europe of the time.

Alfie is playing for a Rangers team emerging from arguably the toughest period in our history. His European record is truly remarkable

That may be true regarding the CL final that season but it still doesn't detract from the fact McCoist only scored 2 goals in the champions league group stage onwards. And they both came in the same game. McCoist was available for the campaigns in 92/93, 95/96 and 96/97. The other seasons were over before they even got started. His record in qualifying was good. The main event, not so much.

That may be true regarding the CL final that season but it still doesn't detract from the fact McCoist only scored 2 goals in the champions league group stage onwards. And they both came in the same game. McCoist was available for the campaigns in 92/93, 95/96 and 96/97. The other seasons were over before they even got started. His record in qualifying was good. The main event, not so much.

Absolutely correct mate. I was just adding some context to the goals as well.

For the record.
I'm not a fan of superally at all

And yet your a Rangers fan? Must have been some run from 1983 to 1998 for you?

Different era. 4 rounds proper before the main event skews things as well as the competition.

Out of interest how many games Euro games have both played for Rangers ?

Different era. 4 rounds proper before the main event skews things as well as the competition.

'Whoosh' - I believe is the term.

Whoosh.

European competition is an array of contradictions throughout its history and you either count all European goals or you forget it.
In the earlier competitions back in the day, there was only knockout matches and no dead rubbers, however, the game was in its professional infancy in certain countries and some matches were total mismatches with scores like 12-0.
On the other hand, there were no games against teams from tiny nations like Gibraltar.
It thus becomes a nonsense to compare goals scored from one period to another and separating stages of any competition also carries certain pitfalls.
Morelos has scored as many as Ally and has done it in less matches, he will break Ally's record soon enough (I hope it is in Lisbon), that is all.

Last edited:
A goal is a goal, no matter when it's scored, so if Alfie breaks the record then he deserves all the plaudits that come his way. Super has said so himself as well.

I know which striker I would take for a one off game (and it's not even close) but that's a different question

Did super not get one against auxere in the CL? That game that STV never showed because we where out and they showed the Man U game

FWIW when comparing European goals scored, of course you include the qualifiers. All competitive games are included. Alfie’s stats are incredible, so many goals in such a short time stands up to scrutiny. However this does not mean he is better than Ally just that he has scored the same amount of goals in Europe. How good a player is does not just come down to their stats, if that was the case Tav would be considered our best fullback ever

The Benfica coach will not be downplaying Morelos due to a lot of his goals being in qualifiers. They will be looking at nullifying him tactically, as you would expect of a dangerous opponent

Did super not get one against auxere in the CL? That game that STV never showed because we where out and they showed the Man U game

Don’t think so, over there Gough scored and at Ibrox Gazza, both 2-1 defeats IIRC

I saw pretty much every game Super Ally played for us Sula, either live or on TV.

Of course he was a legend of our club, no question, as a player.

I think football is so different nowadays from back then, but both him & Alfie’s achievements are outstanding.

But Alfie is 3 more without penalties & 19 more opportunities to add to his tally to balance the appearances.

I don’t think we need to dissect whether games were qualifying or not, and would suggest that the standard of opponent on average was not dissimilar.

I agree, I also believe Morelos could have fitted into Smith’s team and scored goals. I can just imagine him with a better standard of player with the likes of Gough, Brown, Ferguson backing him up and Laudrup, Robertson supplying him. We should appreciate Morelos whilst he is here cos we will certainly miss him after he has gone

Have you even looked at McCoist's record? He has qualifiers and some unknown teams in there. Morelos is equally as impressive.

Back