New FIFA rules re punishment for racism and homophobic abuse. Also includes guidelines re administration and club debt

mkgers

FIFA gets tougher on racism in disciplinary code update

By Graham Dunbar | AP
July 11 at 3:20 PM
GENEVA — FIFA is doubling its minimum ban for racist incidents to 10 games, and will start inviting players to make victim statements at disciplinary hearings.
Stricter handling of discrimination allegations is a key theme of the redrafted FIFA disciplinary code which takes effect next week.
“Topics like racism and discrimination have been updated, putting FIFA at the forefront of the fight against this appalling attack on the fundamental human rights of individuals,” soccer’s world body said in a statement Thursday.
The minimum ban for players or officials rises from five to 10 games, and victims can soon be heard in person by FIFA judging panels.

“FIFA will not let down victims of racist abuse,” FIFA said, adding the victims “may be invited by the respective judicial body to make an oral or written victim impact statement.”
“For a first offense, playing a match with a limited number of spectators and a fine of at least 20,000 Swiss francs ($20,000) shall be imposed on the association or club concerned,” FIFA said.
In recent seasons, FIFA and European soccer body UEFA have closed cases of alleged racist abuse for lack of evidence beyond testimony of the players involved.
“In the past some players have felt let down by the action taken,” said Piara Powar, executive director of the Fare network, soccer’s leading discrimination monitoring group.

Overhauling its disciplinary rules, FIFA will also impose transfer bans on clubs that default on debts in cases processed in-house and at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
FIFA is also preparing to open the doors of some judicial hearings, offer free legal counsel to parties, and publish more verdicts online.
“For the first time, certain types of disciplinary hearings — concerning doping and match-manipulation cases — will be open to the public if the parties request it,” FIFA said.
To modernize and improve its work, FIFA worked with London-based Fare and now includes specific language including sexual orientation as a discrimination issue, bringing it into line with FIFA’s statutes.

“We welcome the clear reference to homophobia,” Powar said. “FIFA has sanctioned acts of homophobia quite extensively in Latin America in particular, but the previous rules were not fit for purpose.”
When players are subject to abuse by fans, FIFA already has an escalating three-stage process for referees to act, leading to games being abandoned. It applies in all 2022 World Cup qualifying games, which Fare observers will attend after assessing the risk of discrimination.
FIFA has clarified that abandoned games are forfeited as a 3-0 loss by the fans’ team “unless there are exceptional circumstances.”
“Our expectation is that national Football Associations will mirror the new procedures and implement them,” Powar said of FIFA’s 211 member federations.

Transfer bans — typically imposed for breaking rules to sign youth players — will be extended to cases of defaulting on debts to players, coaches or other clubs. Previously, clubs risked a deduction of league points.
“A transfer ban has been shown to be the most effective instrument for this purpose,” said FIFA, which will lift a ban when debts are paid. Currently, teams are deducted points in about 10 mostly low-key cases per year, which are not publicized.
FIFA’s move toward more transparency will see judicial panel leaders make the final decision — to approve a request in a doping case or require it in a match-fixing prosecution — on allowing the media in and live-streaming proceedings.
This follows a European Court of Human Rights ruling last year which required CAS to relax secrecy around its traditional closed-door hearings. However, lawyers are rarely expected to recommend openness for their clients.
___
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

FARE will be at every one of our European games then.

Will the support be clever enough to not sing anything that could get us in trouble?

Will the support be clever enough to not sing anything that could get us in trouble?
Many years ago I suggested similar.
I was reminded, this whilst McNee was on his high horse about the reference to Dublin, that there’d come a time when “the bluebells are blue” would be offensive.
When the “bouncy” and “Penny Arcade” can cause (mock) offence, it isn’t too difficult to understand where that poster was coming from, even if his choice of chant would be an exaggeration.

I can’t remember the connection but they, their rep, reported Rangers many a time whilst keeping the cans on at paradump.

I believe it's that Pira Power, the leader of FARE, either their partner or them, wore a Celtic shirt to Hollyrood when they were an SMP.

so practically nothing other than pretending to do things about teams like Man City, PSG etc

"we'll deduct 10pts to teams", not to them you won't when the brown paper bag comes along. Getting into bed with FARE just tells you how corrupt an organisation they are, if they weren't already

FARE are not fit for purpose, it was them that got us banned from the malmo game,,this was at a time when racist and homophobic chants etc was common place in eastern Europe, they chose to ignore that and come after us ,which was certainly agenda driven

It wouldn’t matter mate, one of us could sneeze and we’d be reported. Pretty sure UEFA told them to stop bothering them last season as they were making complaint after complaint, all without any substance.

Fare - The organisation, who forwarded on complaints about bomb chucker fc on to Heir Liewell in a complete breach of data protection law.

Fare - The Organisation, who reported our fans to UEFA for singing the 'sectarian' song Build my gallows at PSV.

Fare - The organisation, who have the wife of the main man being a self confessed Celtc fanatic.

Fare - The organisation, who proclaim to be impartial:)

Fare - The organisation, who forwarded on complaints about bomb chucker fc on to Heir Liewell in a complete breach of data protection law.

Fare - The Organisation, who reported our fans to UEFA for singing the 'sectarian' song Build my gallows at PSV.

Fare - The organisation, who have the wife of the main man being a self confessed Celtc fanatic.

Fare - The organisation, who proclaim to be impartial:)

Yes thats the scumbags

I believe it's that Pira Power, the leader of FARE, either their partner or them, wore a Celtic shirt to Hollyrood when they were an SMP.
Powar's wife is Aasmah Mir a Glasgow born BBC presenter who once described herself as a passionate celtic supporter . The part about wearing a celtic shirt , I think that was an MSP possibly named Goodman

Tell you what when FIFA stops letting World Cup stadiums be built by slaves maybe I can take them seriously that they care about racism. Don't get me wrong I think racism has no place in sport but FIFA has no credibility. If they said the sky was blue and grass is green I would go out side to have check.

18th April 2011 Head of football’s Fare is spouse of Celtic fan
By Jasper Hamill

THE head of an anti-racism group that reported Rangers to the governing body of European football for singing sectarian songs is married to a Celtic fan, it emerged yesterday.
Piara Powar, executive director of Football Against Racism in Europe (Fare), an independent anti-discrimination group based in London, is married to BBC broadcaster Aasmah Mir.
The presenter, who was brought up on the outskirts of Glasgow in Bearsden and has worked on BBC Radio Scotland’s Good Morning Scotland, has previously talked about her passion for Celtic.
Rangers chief executive Martin Bain last week became embroiled in a row with Mr Powar’s organisation after Uefa informed the Ibrox club they faced a new and second disciplinary charge from their Europa League ties against PSV Eindhoven last month.
Mr Bain said Fare had been involved in a “deliberate and targeted campaign against the club”, prompting a denial by Mr Powar. The new charge could cost the club up to £2 million and force them to play two European home ties behind closed doors next season.

There is no suggestion Mr Powar’s decision to give evidence against Rangers was influenced by his wife. However, it was reported she told one interviewer she could never support Rangers because men wearing the team colours came to her former school and handed out BNP leaflets.
Uefa will hear the disciplinary case against Rangers on April 28.
The football club is expected to use the hearing to argue that Uefa should not accept complaints from external groups and should rely on the judgements of their own match officials.
Uefa officials did not notice sectarian chanting but charges were made after the match, when a complaint was made against Rangers. Simon Lesley, board member of Rangers Supporters Trust, said: “We’re in no doubt there is a witch hunt against us.
“Fans of several clubs in Europe engage in racist behaviour but we are the only club targeted. We are asking for a fair crack of the whip. If our fans cause bother, Rangers supporters will try to eradicate it.
“We’ve been working hard to cut offensive chanting but no matter what we do, we keep on getting hammered.”

YES and she was caught singing IRA songs at a Septic match

No. She wasn't. It was just a lookalike.
I doubt if she has even been to a match. Became a Celtic supporter at STV under the tutelage of Bernard Ponsonby , around whom no young handsome man is safe. It was simply a career decision.

She did make up shite about the BNP leaflet distributors in Rangers strips at her Bearsden school though.

Powar's wife is Aasmah Mir a Glasgow born BBC presenter who once described herself as a passionate celtic supporter . The part about wearing a celtic shirt , I think that was an MSP possibly named Goodman

Trish Godman wore the Celtic shirt, before she got punted for fiddling expenses.

Just having a look through the new Disciplinary Code ...
https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/eukqwuptuclcddzqjdlu.pdf

"8 -- Responsibility
3. Anyone who takes part in committing an infringement or induces someone to do so, whether as instigator or accomplice, may also be sanctioned. "

"10 -- Limitation period for Prosecution
2. The limitation period runs as follows: ...
b) if the infringement is recurrent, from the day on which the most recent infringement was committed; "

(Offences & Infringements):
"11 -- Offensive behaviour and violations of the principles of fairplay
1. Associations and clubs, as well as their players, officials and any other member and/or person carrying out a function on their behalf, must respect the Laws of the Game ... and comply with the principles of fair play, loyalty and integrity."

"2. For example, anyone who acts in any of the following ways may be subject to disciplinary measures:
a) violating the basic rules of decent conduct; ...
d) behaving in a way that brings the sport of football and/or FIFA into disrepute; ..."

And interestingly on "Disciplinary" ...
"52 -- Commencement of Proceedings
2. Any person or body may report conduct that he or it considers incompatible with the regulations of FIFA to the FIFA judicial bodies. Such complaints shall be made in writing."

I wonder if anybody representing those who have been abused would consider writing to FIFA, stating that CFC are continually denying that they have any connection to the child abusers in their ranks (CFC and their "official" Boys Club).
CFC's constant denials would thus bring this into the scope of this revised code.

If the actual events of the abuse isn't covered within such a timeframe, then the denials themselves surely are.
They must be construed as violating decent conduct and bringing the sport into disrepute ??

Clearly a long shot, but in the context of the current apparent inactivity on this, maybe it's something that some families may consider ?

Just having a look through the new Disciplinary Code ...
https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/eukqwuptuclcddzqjdlu.pdf

"8 -- Responsibility
3. Anyone who takes part in committing an infringement or induces someone to do so, whether as instigator or accomplice, may also be sanctioned. "

"10 -- Limitation period for Prosecution
2. The limitation period runs as follows: ...
b) if the infringement is recurrent, from the day on which the most recent infringement was committed; "

(Offences & Infringements):
"11 -- Offensive behaviour and violations of the principles of fairplay
1. Associations and clubs, as well as their players, officials and any other member and/or person carrying out a function on their behalf, must respect the Laws of the Game ... and comply with the principles of fair play, loyalty and integrity."

"2. For example, anyone who acts in any of the following ways may be subject to disciplinary measures:
a) violating the basic rules of decent conduct; ...
d) behaving in a way that brings the sport of football and/or FIFA into disrepute; ..."

And interestingly on "Disciplinary" ...
"52 -- Commencement of Proceedings
2. Any person or body may report conduct that he or it considers incompatible with the regulations of FIFA to the FIFA judicial bodies. Such complaints shall be made in writing."

I wonder if anybody representing those who have been abused would consider writing to FIFA, stating that CFC are continually denying that they have any connection to the child abusers in their ranks (CFC and their "official" Boys Club).
CFC's constant denials would thus bring this into the scope of this revised code.

If the actual events of the abuse isn't covered within such a timeframe, then the denials themselves surely are.
They must be construed as violating decent conduct and bringing the sport into disrepute ??

Clearly a long shot, but in the context of the current apparent inactivity on this, maybe it's something that some families may consider ?
Fair point mate.

Having read through that I feel phrases such as "decent conduct" are way too vague and subjective. There is definitely scope for applying these guidelines differently in different situations. When the SFA integrate this into their charter I wonder to who's detriment it will be...

I think we should know who these 'FARE' observers are.
He could just as easily send Dafty Three-Names
to 'observe' one of our matches.

FARE the most unfair quango out there.
They are corrupt and should be disbanded another of footballs disgusting organisations that needs thoroughly investigated, if they were in the US they would all be jailed by now and have massive fines imposed on them WE know they are corrupt and so do they.

Aahhh, that explains the sudden popularity in the buzz phrase “Anti-Irish Racism”.

100%. I was going to post the same as I wondered where this BS phrase came from. Given the links between beast fc and UEFA I would not be the least bit surprised if beast fc knew about this coming in months ago.

I think we should know who these 'FARE' observers are.
He could just as easily send Dafty Three-Names
to 'observe' one of our matches.
Was the one who reported the PSV match (& memory is sketchy) an ex Irish player who used to post on Celtic forums? I’m sure it was posted here at the time

Back