New Glasgow Cup format revealed

Bonnyloyal

THE NEW format for the City of Glasgow Cup has been revealed.

The Glasgow Football Association has announced the revamped look to the competition, which has been in existence since 1887.

This makes the trophy the second oldest in world football and matches will begin tomorrow night on Tuesday August 20.

In the new format, Clyde will return to join fellow Glasgow FA members Partick Thistle, Queen's Park, Celtic Colts and Rangers Colts in this year's competition.

Instead of a straight knock-out, the tournament will be played on a league basis, with each team meeting each of its opponents twice, home and away.

This will give each team a total of eight games during the campaign, which has been designed to increase the competitive edge to the tournament

The final will be contested by the two top teams in the group stage, taking place in April 2020.

Celtic and Rangers Colt teams have to play a maximum of two players over 21-year-old in every match.

Meanwhile two trialists will be allowed for each side in each game.

In recent years the competition has been played at U17 and U20 level with this year seeing the return of first-teams Clyde, Partick Thistle and Queen's Park

The Glasgow FA say the main objectives of the tournament are to allow clubs to positively impact their local communities, encourage school children to embrace health and fitness and to provide aspiring young players a platform to develop their skills.

A Spokesperson said: "We are delighted to announce this exciting new format to the City of Glasgow Cup which we are sure will prove very popular for players and supporters.

“The Cup is always keenly contested and is a great environment for the development of young players”.

Clyde take on Celtic Colts tomorrow night in an 8.15pm kick-off at Broadwood.

Meanwhile Rangers Colts play Partick Thistle on Tuesday August 27 at the C&G Systems Stadium in Dumbarton at 7.30pm.

https://www.glasgowfa.co.uk/

WEEK 1
Clyde v Celtic Colts Tueday 20th August, 8.15pm, at Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld
Rangers Colts v Partick Thistle Tuesday 27th August, 7.30pm, at the C & G Systems Stadium, Dumbarton

WEEK 2
Partick Thistle v Queen’s Park
Celtic Colts v Rangers Colts

WEEK 3
Rangers Colts v Clyde
Queen’s Park v Celtic Colts

WEEK 4
Queen’s Park v Rangers Colts
Partick Thistle v Clyde

WEEK 5
Celtic Colts v Partick Thistle
Clyde v Queen’s Park Tuesday 17th December, 8.15pm, at Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld

WEEK 6
Celtic Colts v Clyde
Partick Thistle v Rangers Colts

WEEK 7
Queen’s Park v Partick Thistle
Rangers Colts v Celtic Colts

WEEK 8
Rangers Colts v Queen's Park
Clyde v Partick Thistle Tuesday 25th February, 8.15pm, at Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld

WEEK 9
Clyde v Rangers Colts Tuesday 3rd March, 8.15pm, at Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld
Celtic Colts v Queen’s Park

WEEK 10
Partick Thistle v Celtic Colts
Queen’s Park v Clyde

Is colts compulsory usage?

I’d love us to be permitted to use “swifts”

I was just about to post that.
I'm sure I read somewhere that at one point the wee team was always called the Swifts and it wasn't until you made the first team that you could call yourself a Ranger. A kind of incentive so you could say you made it.

Apparently the Swifts colours were red and black stripe like AC Milan's and the colours representing Govan.

Quite good tbh.

It was the same every year, Rangers v them in the final. Now that there will be first teams from Clyde, Partick & QP it will give the colts more of a challenge.

The oldest trophy then must be the Lancashire Senior Cup. This magnificent trophy has been played for since 1879, & it is the original trophy.

I was just about to post that.
I'm sure I read somewhere that at one point the wee team was always called the Swifts and it wasn't until you made the first team that you could call yourself a Ranger. A kind of incentive so you could say you made it.

Apparently the Swifts colours were red and black stripe like AC Milan's and the colours representing Govan.
never knew that cheers mate would so love to see a picture of the swifts in those colours

Tuesday 27th Aug. 7.30pm.
Rangers Colts v PTFC.
Might just take a trip down there for that one. Not far from Alexandria, so local for me.

Will all our home matches be played in Dumbarton?

I agree with post #14, invite a couple of Glasgow junior clubs and make it knockout. 'Round robin' not so keen on.

never knew that cheers mate would so love to see a picture of the swifts in those colours
Sure I read it in an old book.
Would be good to bring it back give the young players something to strive for.
Walking out of Ibrox with that cherished first royal blue top under your arm and the feeling of "Now I'm a Ranger"

Sure I read it in an old book.
Would be good to bring it back give the young players something to strive for.
Walking out of Ibrox with that cherished first royal blue top under your arm and the feeling of "Now I'm a Ranger"

First ye wear it, then you go on and earn it to make it yours.

Then once it's yours, you can only lose it. Which once you've worn it you won't lose it that easily.

Should invite the three biggest Junior teams and make it an unseeded knockout

Rangers Swifts
Celtic Colts
Pollok
Benburb
Clydebank
Partick Thistle
Clyde
Queens Park

Not a bad idea imo. I was also thinking that if the guys who were talking about trying to relaunch Third Lanark are serious, this tournament may be a good platform for them to aim for.

Have to say I love the Glasgow Cup and although it has fallen far from the grace it used to have it is still very much a trophy to be sought after. Personally I'd have left it as a knock-out tournament with rounds throughout the season and the final in April/May time and if that happened to be Rangers and Separate Entity FC I'd have the full first team out for the Hampden final. I recall the Finals of 1975 [2-2] at Hampden and 1986 3-2 for the Rangers at Ibrox. It's a beautiful old trophy and it matters whenever these teams go at it as those two results and the players that played in those finals prove.

Should invite the three biggest Junior teams and make it an unseeded knockout

Rangers Swifts
Celtic Colts
Pollok
Benburb
Clydebank
Partick Thistle
Clyde
Queens Park

Interestingly enough, if the juniors joined the pyramid, they would be able to participate as they’d affiliate to the Glasgow FA, rather than the West Junior FA which they do at present. (The successor of the old Central Region.)

Back