New Heart and Hand Podcast Now Available - A Curate's Egg

I think you should be aware there’s a market for your sponsor in the older generation too David. I had a hell of a trouble shaving my under carriage the night before my vasectomy!!!! I’m not sure if the kind nurses do that for you here in Scotland, but I got mine done in Oz, and it’s DIY.

Anyway, can’t wait to catch this week’s edition. Plenty to talk about.

I think you should be aware there’s a market for your sponsor in the older generation too David. I had a hell of a trouble shaving my under carriage the night before my vasectomy!!!! I’m not sure if the kind nurses do that for you here in Scotland, but I got mine done in Oz, and it’s DIY.

Anyway, can’t wait to catch this week’s edition. Plenty to talk about.
Ffs just about to have my tea lad. That's the beef olives going in the bin.

Quite a serious episode I thought, no doubt as a result of our failure to beat Hibs.
I do get the feeling that this season isn't going to be any better than last. Ok, it's early days but we didn't beat Livingston or Hibs, although I agree we didn't play too badly against Hibs. The game changer, as you mentioned, may be a real quality midfielder but we are running out of time and I am surprised by this.
We can win against Willem and Motherwell and hopefully 2 wins to enjoy in the next poscast.

Quite a serious episode I thought, no doubt as a result of our failure to beat Hibs.
I do get the feeling that this season isn't going to be any better than last. Ok, it's early days but we didn't beat Livingston or Hibs, although I agree we didn't play too badly against Hibs. The game changer, as you mentioned, may be a real quality midfielder but we are running out of time and I am surprised by this.
We can win against Willem and Motherwell and hopefully 2 wins to enjoy in the next poscast.

Fingers crossed mate.

We've clearly improved massively under SG, but he has a couple of blind spots. The lost 15 minutes after conceding is one. Late subs is another.
When SG mentions refs he gets slaughtered. Martyn's right. Just win first.
Tilburg has to provide redemption. Play our best player, so, no JJ, barring injury.
And I don't think your critique of Sunday was harsh. Some would go further. It's all about opinions. Thanks for rationalizing the infuriating.

A stern but nevertheless enjoyable pod.

We all know midfield needs addressed and indeed the manager knows that. I have no doubt that the required signing(s) will be made but when exactly?

If it is deadline day then we will have played 10 games out of the 38 game season. That is over a quarter of the league campaign without the engine room of the team being fully addressed. I do recognise the difficulties that the extended transfer window presents in terms of ins/outs and perhaps we will see the wait being worth it if real first team quality strength is secured prior to the next international break which is prior to the first fixture against them. We perhaps have to wait until then in order to secure permanent or loan targets of the calibre we require.

If the Easter Road points are the only ones shed between now and then we'll be in a decent position after the next international break. Europa League fixtures will take care of themselves of course but securing group stage participation would be a financial boost.

I agree with the guys that we just cannot afford to fall out of a game for any period of time and it is certainly a trait that needs altered somehow. Whoever the additions are I hope they are of the type that respond immediately when a goal is lost and can galvanise the team to do the same.

No panic stations yet as this season still has a good chance of being a very successful one - we'll certanly have a better idea of how we are set as the window slams shut on 5th October (two weeks time).

Good stuff. Some uncomfortable truths being told, specifically:

• Same team making same errors
  • Areas we knew needed addressing haven’t been sufficiently addressed
  • We still make it hard for ourselves
  • We chuck away 10-15 mins game time after conceding when we fumble all over the place
  • Titles winning teams don’t drop points from winning positions anywhere near as much as Gerrard’s sides do
Nothing’s lost, but the repetition of the same gaffs already this season is something to be worried about.

I mentioned the setback from a goal and the time it takes us to get our shit together again to a couple of people after the game on Sunday. I hate to compare us to that lot, but they went a goal down on Saturday and ok it's Livingston at home, but within five minutes they're 2-1 up. We don't have someone to take the game by the scruff off the neck and drive us forward when that happens. Goldson was a wreck for the rest of the game.

A stern but nevertheless enjoyable pod.

We all know midfield needs addressed and indeed the manager knows that. I have no doubt that the required signing(s) will be made but when exactly?

If it is deadline day then we will have played 10 games out of the 38 game season. That is over a quarter of the league campaign without the engine room of the team being fully addressed. I do recognise the difficulties that the extended transfer window presents in terms of ins/outs and perhaps we will see the wait being worth it if real first team quality strength is secured prior to the next international break which is prior to the first fixture against them. We perhaps have to wait until then in order to secure permanent or loan targets of the calibre we require.

If the Easter Road points are the only ones shed between now and then we'll be in a decent position after the next international break. Europa League fixtures will take care of themselves of course but securing group stage participation would be a financial boost.

I agree with the guys that we just cannot afford to fall out of a game for any period of time and it is certainly a trait that needs altered somehow. Whoever the additions are I hope they are of the type that respond immediately when a goal is lost and can galvanise the team to do the same.

No panic stations yet as this season still has a good chance of being a very successful one - we'll certanly have a better idea of how we are set as the window slams shut on 5th October (two weeks time).

Even Liverpool fall out of a game for ten or fifteen minutes most games. The opposition want a kick of the ball as well. Wouldn't be worth watching otherwise.

I mentioned the setback from a goal and the time it takes us to get our shit together again to a couple of people after the game on Sunday. I hate to compare us to that lot, but they went a goal down on Saturday and ok it's Livingston at home, but within five minutes they're 2-1 up. We don't have someone to take the game by the scruff off the neck and drive us forward when that happens. Goldson was a wreck for the rest of the game.

Goldson looked like a Sunday league player for about 10-15 mins after their second goal, head went completely.

Great podcast.gents.
Martyn talks sensibily, and very rationally., and from the hip!
Which is what I like to hear.

Everything in the garden is not rosy, and how can it?
We are all in the middle of a pandemic which is not getting any better or just going to leave despite what POTUS or Boris keep spouting.Which eventually is going to impact on what happens at our club going forward.All clubs.

The only thing I disagree with you both on, is I think Europe for Gerrard is very important.
I think he sees it as the real tangible sign of progress that he has had made since coming into the club.
If that were to disappear I would worry about him sticking around long term for the back water of scottish football.

Join Martyn and I to look over a disappointing result and some old issues rearing their head again.

Listen - https://media.acast.com/heartandhands/acuratesegg/media.mp3

@David Edgar The only reference I can find to your question about referees is what you have mentioned in the podcasts. Any idea as to why it has been edited from the RTV video. It was a fairly logical question to ask in follow up to Gerrard's comment after the Dundee Utd game. I, for one, would have liked to have seen and heard his reply.

@David Edgar The only reference I can find to your question about referees is what you have mentioned in the podcasts. Any idea as to why it has been edited from the RTV video. It was a fairly logical question to ask in follow up to Gerrard's comment after the Dundee Utd game. I, for one, would have liked to have seen and heard his reply.

I think just because he didn’t answer.

• We chuck away 10-15 mins game time after conceding when we fumble all over the place
  • Titles winning teams don’t drop points from winning positions anywhere near as much as Gerrard’s sides do
Nothing’s lost, but the repetition of the same gaffs already this season is something to be worried about.

Can’t disagree, I hadn’t really noticed the ‘huff’ but when you look at the game back, you totally see it.

Whatever your thoughts are, that can’t be happening in season three of Gerrard’s tenure. It’s completely unprofessional.

Can’t disagree, I hadn’t really noticed the ‘huff’ but when you look at the game back, you totally see it.

Whatever your thoughts are, that can’t be happening in season three of Gerrard’s tenure. It’s completely unprofessional.

Too many people still talk as though this is Gerrard’s first season and he hasn’t had a couple of bites at the cherry already and sufficient time to right some basic wrongs.

He keeps picking the same players though so I don’t know what he expects really. It’s not the first time I’ve seen Goldson’s head go after a big gaff, and that’s one of his captains, even more worryingly his primary captain is often culpable too.

Too many people still talk as though this is Gerrard’s first season and he hasn’t had a couple of bites at the cherry already and sufficient time to right some basic wrongs.

He keeps picking the same players though so I don’t know what he expects really. It’s not the first time I’ve seen Goldson’s head go after a big gaff, and that’s one of his captains, even more worryingly his primary captain is often culpable too.

What is "the cherry" though?
Win the league? Run them close? Domestic trophy?

We've definitely had success in Europe.
We are definitely improving the quality of the squad and had last season not be ended early we would have ended with more points that previous.
If we are going to have a shot at getting to CL next season either way then I'd kind of want Gerrard to be there for that.

The problem, I think, is that we are stuck in between "still improving" and "league champions".
We're getting better all the time but not getting better fast enough.

Let's say we managed to take this season to the 2nd last game.
Or even heading into the final OF game needing a win to go ahead but losing the match and the league.

If that happened then personally I would want Gerrard to stay on the basis of needing just one more season of improvements to finally get there.

It's a bit repetitive on FF to say "well who would replace him if he leaves" but that would be a genuine concern for me. We ARE improving under Gerrard and I'm not convinced someone else would see us improving faster.

With the way they seem to very, very rarely drop points I would be genuinely worried that we end up in a cycle of "the manager NEEDS to win the league" and then when it looks like we won't "the manager needs to go".

It's not his first season, no.
The position the club is in though means that maybe we do need to give a manager a bit more leeway?
Maybe focus a bit more on the positives.
Definitely demand improvement but at the same time I feel like we need to be patient.

Once this season is done the "10 in a row" nonsense gets put to bed one way or the other.
IF we don't win the league then as a support we need to be able to deal with that and keep focusing on the future.

I think we can show patience as long as we are seeing improvement.
Last season was better than the season before and this season was shaping up really well until we got hit by injuries.

What is "the cherry" though?
Win the league? Run them close? Domestic trophy?

We've definitely had success in Europe.
We are definitely improving the quality of the squad and had last season not be ended early we would have ended with more points that previous.
If we are going to have a shot at getting to CL next season either way then I'd kind of want Gerrard to be there for that.

The problem, I think, is that we are stuck in between "still improving" and "league champions".
We're getting better all the time but not getting better fast enough.

Let's say we managed to take this season to the 2nd last game.
Or even heading into the final OF game needing a win to go ahead but losing the match and the league.

If that happened then personally I would want Gerrard to stay on the basis of needing just one more season of improvements to finally get there.

It's a bit repetitive on FF to say "well who would replace him if he leaves" but that would be a genuine concern for me. We ARE improving under Gerrard and I'm not convinced someone else would see us improving faster.

With the way they seem to very, very rarely drop points I would be genuinely worried that we end up in a cycle of "the manager NEEDS to win the league" and then when it looks like we won't "the manager needs to go".

It's not his first season, no.
The position the club is in though means that maybe we do need to give a manager a bit more leeway?
Maybe focus a bit more on the positives.
Definitely demand improvement but at the same time I feel like we need to be patient.

Once this season is done the "10 in a row" nonsense gets put to bed one way or the other.
IF we don't win the league then as a support we need to be able to deal with that and keep focusing on the future.

I think we can show patience as long as we are seeing improvement.
Last season was better than the season before and this season was shaping up really well until we got hit by injuries.

Domestic progress each season, particularly when more money is being spent. Everyone else will have their own idea of what targets should be met, but anyone who thinks 0 for 4 in cups, 1 cup final and zero title challenges is acceptable is in serious denial or they’re teenagers who only remember a weak Rangers. But people still talk as though this is the gaffers first crack at it. If you delve deeper and explain why more should probably be expected you get the usual “aw well who would you get in then?”

A baron spell and them hoovering up every bit of silverware available could probably continue for another 2 or 3 seasons and these folk would still rather have a star name in the dugout than explore other options that may provide success for the club. He deserves this season no doubt, but if it’s just going to be a repetition of the same flaws then just look at someone else already and get over the school girl crush I say...

Yip cant expect different results or mentality when its the exact same team as last year DZ. The truth is this team cant handle physical in your face teams like hibs. I also agree with your post below re Gerrard, he has had plenty of time now and he is still making the same mistakes as he made when he first arrived which is concerning. Why he signed so many wingers to just come into the team not play and now we are offloading them all is strange. Lack of midfield signings is also a worry, i get he says he is looking for one but we should have signed that midfielder that we lack long ago. If he doesnt win anything this year then its time to move on.

One question on the pod has been answered by the corrupt SFA powers that be this week. 'Why doesnt the manager come out and question the referee's more?' Another trial by Sportscene incident against us. Really does annoy me how every week on their show they are allowed to sit and read out quotes made by the manager on RTV basically passing it off as answers to questions asked by their own interviewers.

Back