New Heart and Hand Podcast now available - From the Sublime to the Ridiculous

Goldson and co seeing far too much of the ball certainly resonates with me.
I've been banging that drum for feck knows how long. Fine any player who passes the buck and gives them the ball when it's not absolutely needed. It's a massive problem for me. The rest of the team should be capeable of keeping the ball without involving Goldson or Katic or whoever is at CB.
The only time they should see the ball is when a team bursts through our 'strong' midfield.

Enjoyed the pod but H&H has missed lots and lots of brownie points by not sponsoring big Sonia :)) :)).

Some interesting points made. In terms of winning headers, I'd expect a centre back to win about 75% of them in our league - I would be surprised if that wasn't a rough average. That means our other centre back should be expected to sweep up on about 25% of long balls, but we often seem unprepared for that eventuality. My point is that its the sweeping that's the problem rather than not winning every header.

I wonder if our centre backs struggle against long balls because they haven't had a big striker to play against in training every day until Kamberi arrived. When we had great centre backs historically, we also had the likes of Duncan Ferguson, Mark Hately, Dado Prso, etc going up against them in training every day.

It's a bit worrying we are almost 2 years into Katic's career and we're still still saying he tries to win every single header and he needs to learn when to go and when to stand off.

Surely that's something that he should be improving by now?

Love the pod but I’m not mentally ready to listen yet.

god knows how the guys feel having to produce it!

In this league ONE defender attacks the ball/lone striker, and the other steps in to sweep. Ours are often confused about who does what.

Absolutely spot on David, just mentioned this on the the stick with Gerrard thread. Flexibility is still a big problem, this is Scotland and slick football doesnt work every week. I also think there might still be an element of ex player mentality with his man management, and to add to the mix an ex player who has no experience in this league. Im still with him, but there wont be anywhere near as much margin for error next season. I hope he gets it right

Really good to hear Adam's thoughts.

If he is right, and I suspect that he's is, then we are clearly over-reliant on our full-backs as a creative force and lacking appropriate levels of cover on both sides.

I'd go as far as saying that in all the 9 other positions we can accommodate an injury with less of a drop in quality.

Although we've been unlucky with injuries, this is on the management team.

Good listen lads,refreshing to get away from the madness of FF on the back of a poor performance,I think it's right we are to rigid in our approach,results have proved this,I think Gerard wants to be seen as a manager who's sole philosophy is pure football,that will not work in Scotland for one the pitches will not allow it and he should know that by now,I think he missed a trick not keeping Jimmy nic on board he knows the Scottish game inside out,but let's hope for his sake we pick up our game or we WILL be looking for a new manager.

It is madness to be without Tavernier or Barisic and expect to be able to replace them with Polster/Flanagan/Halliday and get the same results.

At least we seem to have accidentally discovered that Aribo is the best left back in the world.

I really enjoyed the St.Johnstone analysis.
I was a bit surprised at the quite severe criticism of Steven Gerrard though I did think he got 2 things wrong: Katic confidence had obviously gone in the 1st half and he should have been subbed and there was no need to change the front 2 when we were in control at 2-1 up which I think were mentioned in the podcast. I personally think that not all the players are giving 100% which is as much part of the problem as the manager's tactics. The first goal: after the error by Katic it was recoverable if Goldson had sprinted towards the goal and Shagger comes out quicker and of course the 2nd a terrible effort at a clearance by Katic, the sort of game we would have won 2-1 earlier in the season without playing well but not making so many elementary errors at the back. The Braga win, it did seem that we needed a goal to ignite the team, you see this with Portuguese teams at Ibrox, they look like world beaters until they are put under pressure. They were a fine side and this was a terrific win by us. Certainly an up and down season.

Back