New kit retailer - dont laugh

The banter years

So when listening to Hoggies hamper on the heart and hand patreon link, someone asked about a new shop at the airport and in the town itself.
When thinking about this the costs of shops etc are huge and online deliveries too slow. Visitors to the city don't have a shop to visit except the megastore at Ibrox itself.
So Argos... why not include them (not necessarily make them the sole supplier) but, as a means of outlet and an out of the box way forward. When the new contract is discussed at the end of the season with potential retailers could/should they be a potential?

Argos do same day deliveries for a very reasonable, same day delivery fee, they could do same day deliveries to hotels for visitors to the country and it could quickly be seen what areas of the country makes it feasible.
They dont hold loads of stock so its relatively risk free for both sides.
They do click and collect, they could do shirt printing at the click and collect, and also instore if you take your shirt in.

There are hundreds of shops.
It's not their business but they are very diverse in what they stock, Could it be feasible?

333.gif

To be fair the OP has a point. We do need a retail partner to replace SD (unless we make a new improved deal with them .... shudder!!!!). Think DK has said as much in the past. Don't think the margins are there to go it alone like before. Perhaps an odd store, at airport, city centre etc but certainly not a chain.

Understand the principle made by the OP but Argos would be a poor choice for a number of reasons.

Apart from anything else, they are going through lots of changes after the Sainsbury's takeover and if we look for a partner we should look for a more stable one.

Argos is not a daft shout. They are owned by Sainsbury and the reach and presence of both companies would be impressive.

Though you might as well just list all the top retailers, so why not Amazon?

Probably because these ideas are more attractive to us than the retailer.

Why are people ripping the piss? We need to sell items to make money, argos does click and collect from places like ebay. Not the most glamorous but every town has one.

%^*& it, if its a big distribution network we're looking for maybe we can speak to Ronald McDonald and we can get them at the drive-thru?

More seriously.... I strongly suspect that we've not heard the last of a deal of some description between us and Sports Direct....

Ideally we should be looking to start our own retail business. The shops in the last year of operation made a £3million profit on a turnover of £7 million... The Hamilton shop was a franchise which was very profitable for both the owner and rangers. This is maybe the way forward

Why do people even bother posting ideas on here, some for the replies are what you'd expect from the Tim fraternity, wait a minute...........

It was always going to leave me open to ridicule :D

My point really was as a retailer they are the only one that could have a kit or any other item sold in the megastore delivered to your doorstep within 4 hours. No-one else does this. Even amazon only do next day and they have no high street outlets. Argos are in almost every town in the country, you could order and collect it in 5 minutes.

There are no large sports companies left on the high street except sports direct and there is virtually no chance of many if any dedicated Rangers stores returning.

Sports direct may still have a part to play as they too are in every town but I'd say the vast majority still dont want anything to do with Ashley after the history, I know I don't.

Even our next kit manufacturer like Adidas or Nike or Puma or whoever dont have all that many shops. Certainly not enough for the spread of our fan base.

Our options for outlets are limited anyway so this was a left field thought. I'd rather have the piss ripped with this than have Ashley rip the piss with us.

Decent idea from the op

How about a stall at the barras, if it's still operating, just to catch the weekend trade.......:cool:

The more outlets for selling our kits the better,whether it's our own shops ,other retail shops,Argos and Amazon, we have a worldwide support that needs to be cashed in on.
A Australian bear could buy a strip of Amazon and have it the next day.

Our options for outlets are limited anyway so this was a left field thought. I'd rather have the piss ripped with this than have Ashley rip the piss with us.

With you on the above OP.

We do need a retail outlet and all avenues should be looked at, but apart from the superstore, Ashley can do one.

What is with the obsession for bricks and mortar retail on here? The high street is on its arse.

A store at Ibrox, and a really good web presence is all we need. This is how people shop now.

Opening stores as status symbols is commercially nuts. The only exception to this would possibly be one in Belfast - which would probably have commercial value. The OP's suggestion is being mocked but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than opening shops.

Reactions: BWO
The OP is right in his thinking- large high street presence, availability, very quick delivery and/or pick up etc...although Argos doesn't really match the Rangers brand. We need somewhere on the high street to sell our strips... there aren't that many options thinking about it.

What is with the obsession for bricks and mortar retail on here? The high street is on its arse.

A store at Ibrox, and a really good web presence is all we need. This is how people shop now.

Opening stores as status symbols is commercially nuts. The only exception to this would possibly be one in Belfast - which would probably have commercial value. The OP's suggestion is being mocked but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than opening shops.

I think one in Belfast is essential. I like to try on before buying and cant be bothered with the hassle of having to return something I have bought on the internet.

Everything nowadays is different sizes. For any puma gear I bought its an XXL, yet for any of the retro brand I bought its only XL

You've never seen it at Christmas, have you? Utter bedlam. Sheer volume of sales, no doubt.
Not just xmas. Anyone i have seen seems to be steady to busy apart from the 1 at Lanark that is the only 1 at xmas time you can get served quite quick but must still be worthwhile as its been there a few years

The OP is right in his thinking- large high street presence, availability, very quick delivery and/or pick up etc...although Argos doesn't really match the Rangers brand. We need somewhere on the high street to sell our strips... there aren't that many options thinking about it.

Don't know about argos not matching the our brand but a large majority of their customers will be working class, pretty much the same as the vast majority of Rangers fans.

only exception to this would possibly be one in Belfast - which would probably have commercial value

Historically a big loss maker surprisingly.

As an add on to an existing shop, like a corner in Debenhams or something would be the best bet, then it dodges ridiculous rent and rates costings.

We should have a couple of designated store's like the airport and the city centre. A better alternative than a chain could be pop up shops (similar to Boca10). Operate at the busiest times of the year in select locations.

The best option though is another partnership. The reach is huge.

So when listening to Hoggies hamper on the heart and hand patreon link, someone asked about a new shop at the airport and in the town itself.
When thinking about this the costs of shops etc are huge and online deliveries too slow. Visitors to the city don't have a shop to visit except the megastore at Ibrox itself.
So Argos... why not include them (not necessarily make them the sole supplier) but, as a means of outlet and an out of the box way forward. When the new contract is discussed at the end of the season with potential retailers could/should they be a potential?

Argos do same day deliveries for a very reasonable, same day delivery fee, they could do same day deliveries to hotels for visitors to the country and it could quickly be seen what areas of the country makes it feasible.
They dont hold loads of stock so its relatively risk free for both sides.
They do click and collect, they could do shirt printing at the click and collect, and also instore if you take your shirt in.

There are hundreds of shops.
It's not their business but they are very diverse in what they stock, Could it be feasible?

I'll keep this polite.

No, no, and thrice no.

My point really was as a retailer they are the only one that could have a kit or any other item sold in the megastore delivered to your doorstep within 4 hours. No-one else does this. Even amazon only do next day and they have no high street outlets. Argos are in almost every town in the country, you could order and collect it in 5 minutes.

There are no large sports companies left on the high street except sports direct and there is virtually no chance of many if any dedicated Rangers stores returning.

Sports direct may still have a part to play as they too are in every town but I'd say the vast majority still dont want anything to do with Ashley after the history, I know I don't.

Even our next kit manufacturer like Adidas or Nike or Puma or whoever dont have all that many shops. Certainly not enough for the spread of our fan base.

Not guna rip the piss, but don’t understand the reasoning? Who needs a kit within 4 hours?

Get a store at Ibrox, the airport and the city centre. Make sure we’re in every UK store where Celtic are (so fairweather supporters/English kids have a choice etc) and have a strong online presence.

That’ll do it.

And make sure the kit is a popular design.

Maybe a deal with the 24 hour newsagents around the central station.When people are in buying a cuddly tiger at 4am they could buy the new away top

I'm not sure why your getting the piss ripped in all honesty. Our reach in terms of retail is pitiful therefore additional stock holders on the High Street can only be a good thing. How the logistics and practicalities of this would work i have no idea however i'm quite confident there are those who understand retail much better than i do and make their living from it.

Gone are the days you got excited about the new season merchandising catalogue coming out and doing a weeks wage in on replica tops, perhaps a zipper and assorted shite to fill your car with such as an air freshener.

I fully understand the complicated nature of our existing retail "partnership" - Fresh ideas are absolutely welcome.

Don't really see a problem with the OP.
Most replies seem to be some snobbish attitude towards Argos as a retailer rather than actually take the idea as it was intended.

Any retailer worth their salt would want to deal with Rangers, the potential is massive.

Argos have stores in countless town and cities in Britain. Having posters and adverts up in every one of those stores selling Rangers shirts wouldn't be a problem for me. We've moaned for years that we don't see Rangers shirts being sold anywhere in England.

Tesco are the right colour and have the delivery or click and collect infrastructure... Amazon might not be a daft shout

Back