New Lead Technical Scout Appointed

For saying he was at Derby for over 12 years I find it strange I've never heard of him before.

For saying he was at Derby for over 12 years I find it strange I've never heard of him before.
He was a performance analyst at Derby, this will be his first time as a scout.

So he will not have had any coverage at all at Derby as he will one of many analysts at the club.

Delighted with this, Doyle is an Ace in his field and we managed to nab him away from Derby after 12 years and from Frank Lampard. Derby have made some great recruiting choices in recent years to allow them to punch above their financial weight.
Like 5 million for Martyn Waghorn? :D

Just kidding btw

Is Andy scoulding Scottish?
I'm sure I read somewhere that his friendship with Gerrard goes back a few years.

Copying, to a degree, the Liverpool model is it not? I may be wide of the mark here, but did they not employ Sports Data and that was how they identified Robertson could be as good? Very similar to the concepts discussed in Moneyball.

Copying, to a degree, the Liverpool model is it not? I may be wide of the mark here, but did they not employ Sports Data and that was how they identified Robertson could be as good? Very similar to the concepts discussed in Moneyball.
It's copying the recruitment process of the smartest sports teams, not just football teams.

This is how good sports teams recruit talent - you identify a player through watching games through Wyscout, you set some thresholds based on advanced metrics or statistics that the player has to clear to make sure he produces, and then you go see him in person, watch him play a bunch of games and find out as much about him in terms of character as you can.

You'll still get misses, but you'll drastically reduce your miss rate.

We are on the right track.

Some of they quotes from Scoulding are very, very pleasing to hear. We’re definietely making massive strides towards becoming one of the most progressive clubs there is.

Just hope the recruitment/scouting results starts showing that.

Some of they quotes from Scoulding are very, very pleasing to hear. We’re definietely making massive strides towards becoming one of the most progressive clubs there is.

Just hope the recruitment/scouting results starts showing that.
It might take a few windows before it starts to bear fruit.

We really haven't. £6 million on Bradley Johnson, £5 million on Jacob Butterfield and £4 million on Nick Blackman would suggest otherwise.
As First Team Opposition Technical Analyst this guy wasn't involved in those decisions luckily.

The Andy Scoulding stuff is the interesting one there.

Really like the approach we have. Eyes, video and data given equal importance.

I've a family member who works in scouting. They provide all the big clubs with data packages consisting of video , stats , heat maps etc etc etc all the performance type data you would expect. A lot of clubs identify targets this way now long before ever putting eyes on players.

I've a family member who works in scouting. They provide all the big clubs with data packages consisting of video , stats , heat maps etc etc etc all the performance type data you would expect. A lot of clubs identify targets this way now long before ever putting eyes on players.
That's the sensible way of doing it. Use the data to either identify potential targets, or rule out guys you have identified through other means.

It has to play a fundamental part in any modern recruitment process.

Makes me laugh that we're coming out with all this stuff, when Celtic are saying they hired Neil Lennon because he has, and I quote, "an eye for a player." The tables are going to turn very soon.

Delighted with this, Doyle is an Ace in his field and we managed to nab him away from Derby after 12 years and from Frank Lampard. Derby have made some great recruiting choices in recent years to allow them to punch above their financial weight.

This seems a tad hyperbolic, and pandemic of how FF likes to operate.

How is he an “Ace in his field”? You talk about Derby’s “great recruitment choices” (which is debatable) and also “punching above their financial weight” (again, debatable) when recruitment isn’t even Doyle’s “field”. He analyses opposition.

This seems a tad hyperbolic, and pandemic of how FF likes to operate.

How is he an “Ace in his field”? You talk about Derby’s “great recruitment choices” (which is debatable) and also “punching above their financial weight” (again, debatable) when recruitment isn’t even Doyle’s “field”. He analyses opposition.

Calm yer tits downer. Analysis is a major part of the recruiting process. How do you know his role never played a part in their recruiting? Just because his title was 1st Team technical analyst? yeah the job means studying data on players that’s part of your current squad and looking at the data of players your looking to acquire. He is someone Andy Scoulding ( Former Head Of English FA Data) highly Regards. Scoulding Is one of the best in the business fella and he is the one he wants.

Now turning to Derby in the last 5 season Derby have had the 5th biggest budget spending £65M from Player sales they have made £44.8M

Compared to others
Stoke £174M
Villa £152M
Boro £116M

Only Sheffield Wednesday with a spend of £44.3M have obtained more points to pounds spent in the League.

in three of the last four seasons they have finished in play off positions. This all concludes Derby are a very well run Club and their recruitment often returns decent reward.

Don’t bother replying, cause this is numbers, and homework, and facts so I won’t read a lazy arse reply without the same thought going in to it.

Calm yer tits downer. Analysis is a major part of the recruiting process. How do you know his role never played a part in their recruiting? Just because his title was 1st Team technical analyst? yeah the job means studying data on players that’s part of your current squad and looking at the data of players your looking to acquire. He is someone Andy Scoulding ( Former Head Of English FA Data) highly Regards. Scoulding Is one of the best in the business fella and he is the one he wants.

Now turning to Derby in the last 5 season Derby have had the 5th biggest budget spending £65M from Player sales they have made £44.8M

Compared to others
Stoke £174M
Villa £152M
Boro £116M

Only Sheffield Wednesday with a spend of £44.3M have obtained more points to pounds spent in the League.

in three of the last four seasons they have finished in play off positions. This all concludes Derby are a very well run Club and their recruitment often returns decent reward.

Don’t bother replying, cause this is numbers, and homework, and facts so I won’t read a lazy arse reply without the same thought going in to it.

Brilliant.

Any reason you put a time limit on the 5 year figures and “three of the last four seasons” performance appraisal? You were crawing about 12 years in your first post.

I have family who have worked scouting in the top 2 tiers of English football so I don’t need the patronising dress-down on what it is. For all the hope I have for Scoulding, this is by far his biggest gig; so let’s not try bumming him too hard just yet.

Sorry for the reply. It’s “cause (sic) this is numbers” and I’m a FD with a soft spot for a fellow cruncher. Although all of those numbers are pretty irrelevant, given the posts he’s held.

Brilliant.

Any reason you put a time limit on the 5 year figures and “three of the last four seasons” performance appraisal? You were crawing about 12 years in your first post.

I have family who have worked scouting in the top 2 tiers of English football so I don’t need the patronising dress-down on what it is. For all the hope I have for Scoulding, this is by far his biggest gig; so let’s not try bumming him too hard just yet.

Sorry for the reply. It’s “cause (sic) this is numbers” and I’m a FD with a soft spot for a fellow cruncher. Although all of those numbers are pretty irrelevant, given the posts he’s held.

What an utter miserable existence. Right to start with the spend records only reflect 5 years.. I.E that’s all the information that’s available online. You keep going on about irrelevant m considering his post. He was the head Analyst for first Team footballing activity your only going on assumption this is about studying “other opposition teams” which is horseshit.. maybe your family members in the business can put you right. Andy Scoulding is considered the very highest in his field of Player data analysis, he has picked a guy who has held a prestigious job at a Club for 12 years on merit across 4 Managers who wanted to keep him around as part of their set up’s (very rare). He’s getting job based on his credentials and experience after being interviewed with the guy who wrote the English FA’s book on performance analysis. Dearie fucking Me.

What an utter miserable existence. Right to start with the spend records only reflect 5 years.. I.E that’s all the information that’s available online. You keep going on about irrelevant m considering his post. He was the head Analyst for first Team footballing activity your only going on assumption this is about studying “other opposition teams” which is horseshit.. maybe your family members in the business can put you right. Andy Scoulding is considered the very highest in his field of Player data analysis, he has picked a guy who has held a prestigious job at a Club for 12 years on merit across 4 Managers who wanted to keep him around as part of their set up’s (very rare). He’s getting job based on his credentials and experience after being interviewed with the guy who wrote the English FA’s book on performance analysis. Dearie fucking Me.

You’re talking nonsense mate.

Scoulding has always worked Performance, Technical or Video Analysis. He has been the Head of those areas, but Head of (All) Scouting is a big leap. Yes, he is regarded highly as a Performance Analyst, but let’s give him time in this new (higher) role.

It’s the same sort of rhetoric you’re dishing out for Doyle. Let’s calm ourselves a bit. We’ve got carried away plenty times in recent history, you would have thought we might have learned.

I’ll leave it there.

You’re talking nonsense mate.

Scoulding has always worked Performance, Technical or Video Analysis. He has been the Head of those areas, but Head of (All) Scouting is a big leap. Yes, he is regarded highly as a Performance Analyst, but let’s give him time in this new (higher) role.

It’s the same sort of rhetoric you’re dishing out for Doyle. Let’s calm ourselves a bit. We’ve got carried away plenty times in recent history, you would have thought we might have learned.

I’ll leave it there.

Define Scouting fella if it’s not data and analysis? Crikey. I don’t live in recent history, I grew up in a period where we did what we are doing now by staying ahead of the curve and snagging top Staff from Clubs. I think you need to have a little faith and stop being a depression pessimistic bore.

Back