New Leon Balogun interview

Fabulous podcast, the Big Man spoke eloquently about his time with us . Clearly the Once a Ranger always a Ranger bug has caught him. Interesting how angry he came across over not getting a game v Eintracht Frankfurt. Well worth a listen .

Really enjoy listening to big Leon.

He talks about his time with us, how he left and about Beale (filmed before he left QPR).

The first of his appearances on this pod was during the summer after 55. It’s good. He talks very well about us and a huge section on Mick Beale. The first half is all about Rangers, then the second half is on other stuff.

Shouldn’t have been allowed to go.

There was some fuuckin fanny on here who was telling us Souttar was the best defender in the league too.

Shouldn’t have been allowed to go.

There was some fuuckin fanny on here who was telling us Souttar was the best defender in the league too.

He was one of the best defenders in the league last season which is why he made the team of the season.

Why?

He was another guy that couldnt keep himself fit

Did he ever manage 3 games in a row for us ?

He played 12 games in a row for us last season and was injured after the Hibs semi final game. Had been carrying a hamstring injury for weeks and then eventually had to give up after that due to Helander being out.

Why Wilson and not gio?
Katic said it was Gio that froze him out and Balogun has confirmed Wilson wanted to keep him and tried to convince Gio to keep him.
I’m not Wilson’s biggest fan and I think he is a bit of a del boy however let’s not bash him for something he didn’t do.
The manager got the last say and that’s how it should be whether we like the decision or not.
Ultimately they live or die on their decisions and unfortunately for Gio it came back to bite him.

Last edited:
Katic said it was Gio that froze him out and Balogun has confirmed Wilson wanted to keep him and tried to convince Gio to keep him.
I’m not Wilson’s biggest fan and I think he is a bit of a del boy however let’s not bash him for something he didn’t do.
The manager got the last say and that’s how it should be whether we like the decision or not.
Ultimately they live or die on their decisions and unfortunately for Gio it came back to bite him.
Exactly mate but same shite is peddled on here how it’s Wilson that’s deciding the signings and not the manager

I really like Leon Balogun but he's taking on the Thomas Buffel mantle of getting higher praise the longer he doesn't play for us.

He was an alright defender, that's it.

I really like Leon Balogun but he's taking on the Thomas Buffel mantle of getting higher praise the longer he doesn't play for us.

He was an alright defender, that's it.
The problem for us is currently he would still walk in and be a mainstay in our team which is down to poor planning and poor investment by Ross Wilson.

Sometimes it's not even what a player does on the field. Balogun was popular in the dressing room. I wonder how messing him around in the summer and then eventually letting him go was received amongst his friends in the dressing room especially if Gio was seen as the one pushing him out the door.

Really really like the big man. I do think it was correct he should have been let go and a more reliable centre back brought in. However, the way we dealt with him and the situation is pretty shoddy and doesn't inspire much confidence there was any sort of clear plan going into the summer window.

Yes, I watched it why would I not I've never missed watching a Rangers game in as long as I can remember.
I did not think he did any better than the average run-of-the-mill defender.

He had a very good game that day and performed well throughout the season. Another couple of standout performances were when they beat Celtic at Tyncastle and also when Scotland beat Denmark. He's shown he's a very good player when fit. I certainly wouldn't be writing him off as a dud this early into his Rangers career.

He had a very good game that day and performed well throughout the season. Another couple of standout performances were when they beat Celtic at Tyncastle and also when Scotland beat Denmark. He's shown he's a very good player when fit. I certainly wouldn't be writing him off as a dud this early into his Rangers career.
I don't think he's a bad player but I do think he's quite an average player with decent technique
but he has a good range of passing and is quite quick, we will see how he does at Rangers as I've not seen enough of him to judge him yet.

Yes, I watched it why would I not I've never missed watching a Rangers game in as long as I can remember.
I did not think he did any better than the average run-of-the-mill defender.
You said "Seriously, I didn't even think he had a good game against us."

If you genuinely believe that and weren't jut chucking out a soundbite then you could not have watched the Cup Final.

You said "Seriously, I didn't even think he had a good game against us."

If you genuinely believe that and weren't jut chucking out a soundbite then you could not have watched the Cup Final.
What is your end game here I have told you I watched the game and I gave my opinion on the player not your opinion of the player as they obviously differ?
What is it you are trying to achieve?

Do you want me to lie about the player or can you just not accept people watching a game can form different opinions about players?

What is your end game here I have told you I watched the game and I gave my opinion on the player not your opinion of the player as they obviously differ?
What is it you are trying to achieve?

Do you want me to lie about the player or can you just not accept people watching a game can form different opinions about players?
I'm not trying to achieve anything. Of course we are all entitled to different opinions but to suggest Souttar didn't have a good game in the cup final is somewhat churlish.

I'm not trying to achieve anything. Of course we are all entitled to different opinions but to suggest Souttar didn't have a good game in the cup final is somewhat churlish.
Good at least now you accept that instead of questioning whether I watched the game because our opinions differ.
I can accept your opinion without questioning whether you watched the game or not.

Obviously, it's impossible to judge how he will do for Rangers so far as injury has limited his game time.

Sometimes it's not even what a player does on the field. Balogun was popular in the dressing room. I wonder how messing him around in the summer and then eventually letting him go was received amongst his friends in the dressing room especially if Gio was seen as the one pushing him out the door.
Agree 100% brother. Balogun always seemed like a terrific character, well respected and a leader. He was definitely worth another year imo

After seeing a short clip on twitter and trying to make sense of what happened, I suspect we kept Balogun hanging on incase Goldson didn't end up renewing. I don't think the football department handled this one well.

Really enjoy listening to big Leon.

He talks about his time with us, how he left and about Beale (filmed before he left QPR).

Guy is an absolute gentlemen. My wee sister wanted a picture with him, not only did he do that but he arranged for a photo signed to be sent to her. She was over the moon. We should have kept him another year though, not because of the photo, but because defensively we have needed him.

Back