New Lyon Owner's Plans

prenzlauerbear

Lyon have have a new American owner, John Textor. This is what he had to say about the deal:

"My football plan is to create an ecosystem of cooperative top-tier clubs that will benefit from the sharing of a global footprint of talent identification," Textor told CBS Sports. "As I continue to be concerned that the competitive dominance of state owned teams, and other wealthy clubs, is damaging to the greater football landscape of community driven clubs, I am merely hoping to demonstrate that alternative approaches to competitiveness must be explored and encouraged."

I thought this was a pretty interesting quote, especially given the distaste for oil clubs in the other thread. He also owns Brazilian top-flight club Botafogo and Belgian second-division side RWD Molenbeek, as well as a 40% stake in Crystal Palace. It seems he's positioning this model as a kind of antidote to the City's and PSG's — a bit like the Watford and Udinese project.

Seems Celtic already have a close relationship with the City Group, but how would our fans feel if he were to buy a smaller stake in us? Are we to big to be an affiliate club, even if it was a quid-pro-quo kind of relationship?

Lyon have have a new American owner, John Textor. This is what he had to say about the deal:

"My football plan is to create an ecosystem of cooperative top-tier clubs that will benefit from the sharing of a global footprint of talent identification," Textor told CBS Sports. "As I continue to be concerned that the competitive dominance of state owned teams, and other wealthy clubs, is damaging to the greater football landscape of community driven clubs, I am merely hoping to demonstrate that alternative approaches to competitiveness must be explored and encouraged."

I thought this was a pretty interesting quote, especially given the distaste for oil clubs in the other thread. He also owns Brazilian top-flight club Botafogo and Belgian second-division side RWD Molenbeek, as well as a 40% stake in Crystal Palace. It seems he's positioning this model as a kind of antidote to the City's and PSG's — a bit like the Watford and Udinese project.

Seems Celtic already have a close relationship with the City Group, but how would our fans feel if he were to buy a smaller stake in us? Are we to big to be an affiliate club, even if it was a quid-pro-quo kind of relationship?
No thanks

We have had tie ups in the past ,northern spirit and the Chinese club,they never really come to much.
As for a citi group type thing?
A resounding no from me

State owned teams hmmm although it would be nice to stop the unfair playing field the filth, PSG and Real receive
I just cannot take to anything American regarding football, the only decent American ownership is/was at Liverpool and that’s pretty much because they don’t have a hands on egomaniacal American steering the ship

Couldn't even tell you what set up Watford or Udinese have so it can't be working that well, 12th in Serie A doesn't seem great.

Let the others go to their “Super League” - it’s not something to aspire to. Although judging by the billionaire thread, there are some that would throw it all away for big money.

Let the others go to their “Super League” - it’s not something to aspire to. Although judging by the billionaire thread, there are some that would throw it all away for big money.

I totally agree, and I would walk away from Rangers — or at least try to — if a sham state like that took over. Didn't even bother replying to the other thread as it's just a mess.

A project like this is a bit different though. Is collaboration the way forward for clubs not backed by serious money? Not sure how it would work exactly, but surely it's a bit more respectable? Even if it didn't mean actually purchasing ownership of the other and vice versa.

I wonder if stronger affiliations between the smaller clubs (relatively speaking) will become more commonplace.

It certainly is an imteresting thought, but wouldnt the reality be that, certain teams would rise to the top of that pyramid as well?

For example, an extraordinary talent is discovered in Brazil. Us and Lyon are made aware through this co-operation deal. Lyon can pay more, player goes to Lyon. Only benefit i could identify for us, is that we could loan some of these players, but the ultimate reality is we just become a developmental cog, in a system that will still benefit the richer clubs.

Still its interesting to think about. Thank for sharing.

Some clubs would benefit from it but I wouldn’t want to be part of it. We are an institution, not a small part of a bigger project.

I totally agree, and I would walk away from Rangers — or at least try to — if a sham state like that took over. Didn't even bother replying to the other thread as it's just a mess.

A project like this is a bit different though. Is collaboration the way forward for clubs not backed by serious money? Not sure how it would work exactly, but surely it's a bit more respectable? Even if it didn't mean actually purchasing ownership of the other and vice versa.

I wonder if stronger affiliations between the smaller clubs (relatively speaking) will become more commonplace.

I’m not sure an American has the greatest interests in football, beyond personal financial gains.

I think these things would require a hierarchy - do we see ourselves playing 2nd to Lyon?

We should definitely be making boardroom connections and taking a collective position with UEFA and these ‘super clubs’.

Sounds very much like he hates the state owned groups, but wants to head up a very similar collaboration of clubs himself...

I wouldn't want involved. Inevitably, this would end up as a bit of a "pyramid" system - and sadly we will never be at the top of this in terms of finances and league. For that reason, I wouldn't want to play second fiddle to likes of Lyon.

0_JS263763302.jpg
0_18060999.jpg
a8fbdb95-367f-4c68-91fe-0a83132b4f81-378-000000f7ac4d5a84_tmp.jpg
walter.jpg
article-1385338-013AA45500000578-487_1024x615_large.jpg
GL890917.jpg
EynAFcIWgAAWTC6.jpg
1a6ad6ff5f5df7d2816e8483f40be53f.jpg

I would imagine the bigger team in the collaboration would get the best talent coming through. For instance, I'm sure Crystal Palace were getting the best young talent from the smaller clubs. Now it'll be between them and Lyon. So I couldn't see it working if say we were joined with 4 of the top teams from the 5 best league's. I'd imagine our best young talent coming through would be pinched from us to go to the so called bigger teams.

I hope that makes sense lol it did in my head.

I know you said clubs backed by serious money but there would always be 1 team seen as the bigger club. So personally I can't see it happening. Only way I could see it working well for us is if we got involved with lesser teams from South America and hopefully get a wonderkid every season or 2.

Always had a soft spot for Lyon, but American owners will be the ruination of football
I'll pay attention to this having lived in the city for 3 years. Tbh most Lyon fans I know just want to be better than Marseille.
Stade gerland 14 years ago they clapped us off the park. It's a rugby stadium now.
Imo it's more of a rugby city than a football one.

As a bear above said. We are Rangers. We stand alone. We are not some cum dumpster for other clubs. We are the club others should aspire to be.

Rangers FC - The Worlds Greatest.

Not for me.

State owned teams hmmm although it would be nice to stop the unfair playing field the filth, PSG and Real receive
I just cannot take to anything American regarding football, the only decent American ownership is/was at Liverpool and that’s pretty much because they don’t have a hands on egomaniacal American steering the ship
Aye, all sounds very much like the shite I hear on a daily basis in work, management gobbledegook

Corporate bullshit.

Or we have stakes in smaller clubs as feeders. Certainly not the other way round.
ican see how some folk would want it that way.
I am just not a fan of all this type of stuff though. You stand on your own two feet imo. if our infrastructure is correct re scouting and academy etc, there is no need for tie ins with other clubs.
Just my opinion, maybe not popular one or on trend, but then its trendy to identify as a cat if you wish so ...

Is this approach really any different to what Joe Lewis / ENIC tried with various clubs and collectively achieved next to nothing from it.

Some clubs would benefit from it but I wouldn’t want to be part of it. We are an institution, not a small part of a bigger project.
We have to cooperate and be part of something but not be under some kind of umbrella ownership and common brand. Clubs like us , Hamburg, Linfield and others having agreements on sharing ideas whether it's sports science, scouting, player loans or commercial ventures or whatever makes a lot of sense so long as clubs are totally independent. A sort of confederation. But some yank or Arab running it top down - no thanks.

If we end up as the last football club in the world standing independently of any other I still wouldn't want to change.

The thought of Rangers being part of some stable of clubs, or even worse a "feeder" to some state owned franchise is stomach churning.

It certainly is an imteresting thought, but wouldnt the reality be that, certain teams would rise to the top of that pyramid as well?

For example, an extraordinary talent is discovered in Brazil. Us and Lyon are made aware through this co-operation deal. Lyon can pay more, player goes to Lyon. Only benefit i could identify for us, is that we could loan some of these players, but the ultimate reality is we just become a developmental cog, in a system that will still benefit the richer clubs.

This.

Rangers can do it by ourselves.

I think the loan deal point is a good one. Likewise, rather than a player such as Gouiri being sold to a rival like Nice, maybe we sign him with a buy back clause for Lyon included. He is a sensational player for us and they get to re-sign him for a fee that is much less than the 40 mil or whatever it is they now value him at. Both teams win in the end.

We can offer a different environment to clubs in Ligue 1, players are at different levels.

It's not about taking anything out the club in terms of soul or whatever, really just working a bit closer together in terms of scouting and recruitment. How the two clubs decide their place in the food chain remains to be seen.

If there is even the slightest hint that the structure of club football & the prize money evening out across Europe we will be highly investable.

The only real obstacle would be buying out those who have burnt money to keep us going for years.

I wouldn’t mind leaving our league set up for a proper Atlantic league etc but no way as some kind of ownership thing.

What we have is too precious and historic and meaningful to us all to just Gamble with ownership models. Never, ever again.

I think the loan deal point is a good one. Likewise, rather than a player such as Gouiri being sold to a rival like Nice, maybe we sign him with a buy back clause for Lyon included. He is a sensational player for us and they get to re-sign him for a fee that is much less than the 40 mil or whatever it is they now value him at. Both teams win in the end.

We can offer a different environment to clubs in Ligue 1, players are at different levels.

It's not about taking anything out the club in terms of soul or whatever, really just working a bit closer together in terms of scouting and recruitment. How the two clubs decide their place in the food chain remains to be seen.

There is certainly a degree of merit to the idea mate. I just feel that we would end up a cog in the system, rather than the beneficieries. Could be merit in it though, in certain aspects as you say

As interesting an idea as an “antidote” system is, I just lose any enthusiasm whenever I see that someone owns a stake in one club, 20% of another and invests in some other club in a different country.

It just smacks of either greed or the creation of an unfair advantage by way of some incestuous goings on and goes against what the ethos of the sport should be.

When he says an ecosystem of cooperative top-tier clubs, he means constantly trading players from one to another for the sake of it, involving nice sums of money which benefit all sort of people somehow involved in football.

Apart from Udinese and Watford, Granada CF were in the same hands too. Not any of them can boast what we would call "a big achievement for a football club".

Modern football at its best.

When he says an ecosystem of cooperative top-tier clubs, he means constantly trading players from one to another for the sake of it, involving nice sums of money which benefit all sort of people somehow involved in football.

Apart from Udinese and Watford, Granada CF were in the same hands too. Not any of them can boast what we would call "a big achievement for a football club".

Modern football at its best.

And your thoughts on clubs like Brentford and Midtjylland?

Rangers will be successful or not on their own, no need for any group involvement if you will. One of the many things I love about this club is our independence as it were in how we go against the grain and I hope that is always the case.

Back