New system for Penalties

Bigeye

First time I've seen the new system tonight at the Man City game
Team A goes first
Team B then takes 2 penalties
Team A gets the next two
Team B gets the next two.

City win 4-1.............It was news to me :)

Joke changing it. The drama and tension is what penalty shootouts are all about. All this "oh there's an advantage to the team that kick first"
Man up ffs

Seems to switch the supposedly massive advantage to the second team to take penalties rather than remove it altogether.

It’s a big improvement. Team taking the first penalty won about 80% with old system.

Meant to be like a tennis tiebreak now.

it's just switched the advantage from team A to team B. If Team B step up and score their first two penalties then team A can't afford to miss any of their next two despite team B only having taken 2 penalties. Teams are now going to be hoping to kick 2nd so they don't have that pressure on their 2nd penalty.

Was also used in the community shield if i recall.

Changing things for the sake of it.

it's just switched the advantage from team A to team B. If Team B step up and score their first two penalties then team A can't afford to miss any of their next two despite team B only having taken 2 penalties. Teams are now going to be hoping to kick 2nd so they don't have that pressure on their 2nd penalty.

Absolutely.

Despite Wolves scoring their first penalty, when City scored theirs, suddenly the pressure was on them big time - and they fluffed it.

Knowing me Knowing you I thought you might say that.
Did Fernando score his penalty?
Lastly Does Your Mother Know?

If there is an advantage to whoever kicks first then get them to take them at the same time, two sets of goals, ref in centre circle blows the whistle, assistants stand on edge of 18 yard boxes to check for fouls. Coin toss to see who gets what end.
Not any more daft than the ABBA system.

Load of pish. First team may feel they have the advantage, but there's a coin toss to see who gets it. Luck of the draw and creates more tension.
What next, a similar system for cup home and away draws?

I genuinely don't see the fuss about it either way.

You still get the same tension in the shootouts and if it does stop any unfair advantage then fair does.

Back