New TV deal

Sky aren’t covered by the licence fee, they are a private company. He said politicians should force sky to pay a hiher price. Scottish licence payers get more spent locally than licence payers in England. Fool anyone who pays the licence fee.

He? Are you talking to me directly or your wee pile on pal?

Spotify stopped us downloading music. Netflix reduced torrenting. If it's a fair price and good service people will pay it.
Correct, market forces determine a price. That’s my point exactly, If our product was worth more massively we would be paid more for it

Is there anything we can actually do here?

Write an angry email to the idiots running the game here? Get some of the fan media to raise it at press conferences? Display by the UB?

I don't know how we can stop/fix this, but we need to do something. We've been punching in Europe for the last few years but if our deal stays stagnant at these tiny amounts then other countries and there teams could go by us.
Realistically they only way to force sky to pay more money for the TV deal is if enough people made it clear that the only reason they have a sky subscription is to watch Scottish football and cared enough about what Sky pay for the rights that it would influence whether they kept a subscription or not.

Hypothetical improbable situation would be if 3 or 4 hundred thousand sky subscribers cancelled the subscription in protest at the TV deal. Based on what I'm paying for sky, you'd be looking at costing them up to 40m a month. It would require massive organisation and unison across different fanbases.Theoretically it could be done but in reality, it would never happen.

The demand that provides revenue for sky is not viewing figures it’s packages sold. many viwers to the Scottish game have subscribed to sky sports for English content. Subscribers drive the value of the tv deal not viewers

O.K. substitute subscriptions for the word viewers in my post then

I know it's not that simple - but it's still governed by market forces & how much someone is willing to pay

I don't doubt the issue is further complicated by the whole package Sky currently offer - but it's also contriving to falsely obscure the true popularity or otherwise of our 'product'

IMO that product is being undersold & the biggest reason for that is the SFA's inability to properly negotiate
Kind of difficult to prove

But I can respect other opinions that disagree
The trouble is we've got almost no chance to prove this under current circumstances

Correct, market forces determine a price. That’s my point exactly, If our product was worth more massively we would be paid more for it

We tell ourselves we have one of the biggest games in the world. A league format has been created to ensure there are 4 of these fixtures per season and yet other similar-sized nations manage to get a bigger deal.

We're also returning to a period where the title race will likely be close each season.

It's about salesmanship and perception. We have inadequates governing the game.

We tell ourselves we have one of the biggest games in the world. A league format has been created to ensure there are 4 of these fixtures per season and yet other similar-sized nations manage to get a bigger deal.

We're also returning to a period where the title race will likely be close each season.

It's about salesmanship and perception. We have inadequates governing the game.
Also my Sky TV subscription isn't factoring in my interest in Scottish football over English football at all - and our archaic laws prevent home games from being televised at all on Saturday at 3pm.

He made snooker and darts viable lucrative products for God's sake, he must be worth a try!
Agree FB
The man and and his son know TV and how to market sports.

A whole new approach is needed and be rid of the whole rotten self serving structures that continue to hinder growing our game.

We have just had us reach a major European final , hopefully 2 clubs soon in the Champions league, one of the biggest derby games in the world but Norway and Denmark, similar sized nations get more from Tv deals than us

Whether they show more of their games than ours should be immaterial.

Not unexpected really when you have Doncaster at the helm, someone you couldn’t rely on to get the right loaf out the Supermarket. Until these pigs at the trough are cleared out this is what we will get, short selling the product, chaotic organisation and cheating referee’s.

Sounds like Doncaster et all took the easy option don’t want to be doing your jobs now do you Neil?
Hope the league teams tell him to take a hike even putting an inflation clause in would be nice .

Sky can put in a low offer as they know the jellyfish in charge of the spfl will just take any deal they offer. Why not reject it, point to other countries, leave it with no deal as it approaches the season and wait till sky blink and come back with a better offer.

Because the spfl just take whatever is being offered then there is no need for TV or league sponsors to pay a fair figure. Whoever is in charge of getting the cinch deal put through would be getting a hefty bonus. So much exposure for their brand at start fraction of what they give to clubs that they sponsor.

I wouldn't give them the steam off my piss these days - Sky or BTSports. Cost, primarily, drove me away but, to be perfectly honest, the annual 'discussion' trying to get my discount became tiresome. Its a charade. They knew they would do a deal, I knew they would do a deal - just apply a 'loyalty' discount without the need for the phone call FFS.

Agreed, I no longer have it. I used to hate, as you say, the unnecessary phonecalls at renewal time.

With no other bidder it’s always going to be a low ball offer and also doesn’t support skys corporate values, ie womens football were they wil over support for what it actually achieves,
All other nations have one country focus on that league and yet we are in t very very poor relations ,
Unless we go it alone I can’t see a positive solution

£27.5m i think , so they get 25% extra games for just £2m
If that is the case then this deal is worse than the current one. An increase of 25% in games shown for something like a 12% increase in income. If the current deal is 48 games for 27.5m that is £573,000 per game. If the new deal is 60 games for 30m then that is £500,000 a game.
Doncaster must have negotiated hard tk get that deal on the table!

The jobbers of the SPL will take this deal because ot gives them a few extra pennies over the next 2-3 years, and they'll also talk about longer term security, etc.

All the while losing revenue with empty stands because they don't want to sell tickets to Rangers fans.

The bowling club mentality of Scottish football will prevail and send us even further into the dark ages.

We are lucky we get anything. What’s for sale, a team that lose’s seven to a second rate Dutch outfit or a mob than cannot beat an Irish outfit, given two chances home or away. Apparently Hertz and Hivs were atrocious last week.
Until our so called clubs get their act together, take the money and run. We get enough through full houses every game and our European adventures. Stuff the lot of them.

I found an article in the Guardian saying £8m. Regardless, sky do not care one bit for Scottish football. It's about time those running the game up here were given the boot.

The PA news agency understands the investment from Sky Sports is just under UK£10 million (US$13.8 million) per season, including production, with additional marketing and exposure commitments taking the figure to around UK£15 million (US$20.8 million) per season.

How much are sky funding the English women's league?
H&H today gave a first class breakdown of other Countries TV payments, and ours is to put it mildly Crap. If it comes to a vote, then he’ll stud it into them if the other clubs vote it through, not that Doncaster has palms crossed, I would put it more to total Incompetence, and Liewells Puppet.

H&H today gave a first class breakdown of other Countries TV payments, and ours is to put it mildly Crap. If it comes to a vote, then he’ll stud it into them if the other clubs vote it through, not that Doncaster has palms crossed, I would put it more to total Incompetence, and Liewells Puppet.
spoke a lot of sense that guy today.

Sky can put in a low offer as they know the jellyfish in charge of the spfl will just take any deal they offer. Why not reject it, point to other countries, leave it with no deal as it approaches the season and wait till sky blink and come back with a better offer.

Because the spfl just take whatever is being offered then there is no need for TV or league sponsors to pay a fair figure. Whoever is in charge of getting the cinch deal put through would be getting a hefty bonus. So much exposure for their brand at start fraction of what they give to clubs that they sponsor.
Not denying they are tools in charge of the SPL. That’s not my point which no one has answered, why don’t you answer it? If the product is seriously undervalued, why is no one apart from sky bidding for it?

So you agree they don't give a hoot about Scottish Football?
Yes basically just a gap filler to get the main game but you can't blame them in terms paying for the right that lies elsewhere

At least made a choice of covering a game last weekend something they failed to do on 3/4 occasions last season never pick a game of those 3/4 fixture cards, scheduling issues

Given they have yet fill their quota of games under this contract I don't see that changing

Last edited:
Pipe dream. There must be hundreds of thousands of households in Scotland paying £50 or £60 a year for IPTV to watch every channel going.

The horse has bolted. No one is paying £30 a month for Scottish football over and above that or their generic SKY, BT, Virgin subscription.
Apparently a million Scots are paying £30/month for skysports now.

Don't know if anyone has asked the question already, but does anyone find the timing of this suspicious in that it's just before Aberdeen etc. report out on their ideas to generate more revenue.

Doncaster maybe trying to get a deal through before they can propose something which makes him look even more incompetent.

Don't know if anyone has asked the question already, but does anyone find the timing of this suspicious in that it's just before Aberdeen etc. report out on their ideas to generate more revenue.

Doncaster maybe trying to get a deal through before they can propose something which makes him look even more incompetent.

Said the exact same. It stinks.

Including me. All the more reason we should be getting a much better deal.

I did say over and above as in not many will pay an internet only SPL sub on top of all current options.
I only want to watch rangers games, I'd be willing to bet 50k of that 300,000 (or whatever proportion of that million support rangers) do too

How the %^*& Sky can justify that when they give the English lower leagues, which have lower viewer figures than the SPFL, £119m a season is fucking beyond me.
Because they can get away with it. The EFL clearly have better people doing their negotiating.

I was listening to the cro pod something David said made me think. He said Sky paying for the future means they lock the price in. Just a thought but maybe Doncaster fears the worst with the upcoming court cases concerning the filth. Maybe he is worried the league will actually devalue due to this. I see no other reason to so drastically undervalue the product.

Not denying they are tools in charge of the SPL. That’s not my point which no one has answered, why don’t you answer it? If the product is seriously undervalued, why is no one apart from sky bidding for it?
BT were trying to cut back on their spending due to how much they chucked at CL and EPL. Who else have we got? Premier Sports? They've not got the finances to do it and take a gamble - like setanta.

Not if you dont tender for bids you wont….to not even ask others to bid is bordering on criminal

I only want to watch rangers games, I'd be willing to bet 50k of that 300,000 (or whatever proportion of that million support rangers) do too

Normally I’d agree with you but the way things are going that committed 50k most likely have season tickets, euro and cup games to pay, rising energy bills, kids who want Amazon prime, Disney, Netflix and now have easy access to IPTV that can show the lot for £50 a year.

Back