Newcastle FC first to furlough non playing staff

Mabearette

No surprise there......Some Clubs continue to pay their players full mega buck wages while applying for furlough cash for non playing staff. Some players in other Clubs took voluntary cuts. The news said how these rich clubs behaved during this time will not be forgotten....like Eddie Howe the Bournemouth manager who has taken a voluntary pay cut.

Its disgusting that these EPL clubs are doing this while players are on £70k to £100k a week maybe more

Being discussed on the other thread, but this cannot be right. I can't see this actually happening while they continue to pay out obscene wages to their players.

They are either misunderstanding the purpose of this furlough scheme or just trying to abuse it.

Some interesting articles on this and PIF in the Shields Gazette.

Mike Ashley under fire for Newcastle United move Simon Jordan has attacked Mike Ashley after Newcastle United furloughed staff because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The club, along with Tottenham Hotspur, has taken advantage of the Government’s Coronavirus Job Rentention Scheme by placing a number of employees on furlough with the Premier League suspended.

Managing director Lee Charnley informed staff – who will have 80% of their monthly wages up to £2,500 paid by the Government – of the move in an email this week.

However, former Crystal Palace owner Jordan has criticised owner Ashley for United’s move on Talksport.

“If we can print money to furlough Newcastle United employees that Mike Ashley doesn’t want to pay, then I’m pretty sure the government can reward these people who are working in these conditions (in the NHS) by giving them more money,” said Jordan.

“Never mind gongs and never mind claps, how about give them some recognition and reward?

“I believe there is a moral issue around an industry like football that has been awash with money. I think there is a situation here where football has to look at itself and say ‘do I really, just because the government is offering its teat, have to nuzzle on that?’.

“’Do I really have to take that money, that £2,500 per employee or 80% of it, to support myself?’. I don’t think they should do it.

“I think it’s an awful look for football, and I think it’s awful Premier League footballers are being paid £250,000 to £500,000-a-week, and the government’s having to support Premier League clubs.

“There’s a balancing act between being commercially sensible about what you are doing, and not disadvantaging yourself as a business, and looking at yourself and thinking ‘am I the sport that’s eating myself?’.

“Are we suggesting football is never going to get this revenue back? If football suddenly gets these games back and we get through this dreadful crisis, how did these businesses need that money?

“I’m sat here saying ‘come on football, you can’t sit there and seriously say ‘let’s not cut the players’ wages first before we go to the government to fund our own staff’.

“Come on! There is a moral obligation here – there has to be.”

Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia to open UK office as they eye Newcastle United takeover

The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia are set to open a new office in London – amid their pursuit of Newcastle United.

The fund, which is controlled by the Crown Price of Saudi Arabia, are interested in a takeover of the club having presented a proposition to Mike Ashley alongside a group linked to Amanda Staveley and the Reuben brothers.

Reports earlier this week suggested the prospect of a deal had been communicated to the Premier League, while a new company formed by PIF chief Yasir Al-Rumayyan suggests that the group are putting the building blocks in place ahead of a move.

And in another interesting development – albeit one which may not directly link to takeover hopes – Al-Rumayyan has revealed that the Saudi Arabian investment arm are set to open an office in England later this year.

The move comes as part of the group’s continued expansion across the globe.

“When we started, it was 40 people,” said Al-Rumayyan, speaking to Bloomberg.

“Today we have more than 700 and by the year end our target is to have more than 1000 employees in PIF.

“The bulk of them will be in Saudi, but now we’re opening up in the financial capitals of the world.

“Hopefully by the end of this year we will have our second office, which is going to be in New York, and potentially London also will be in the second half of the year.”

Saudi is Starting to tighten its belt just now with this oil price. Armco looking to sell of parts to bring in funds.
I am not sure how much they would spend on this a lot has changed in last few weeks.

I thought you had to be in a precurious position to do that. Ie, unless you took this action you were sailing so close to the wind that you would have to make them redundant.?

Back