Newcastle giving away free half season tickets

uneasydaz

Ashely desperate to get fans in the door

Newcastle United is offering its current season ticket holders a FREE additional half-season ticket as the club looks to get a packed St. James’ Park behind the team.

After discussions between head coach Steve Bruce and managing director Lee Charnley, subject to eligibility criteria, the Magpies will gift a half-season ticket to qualifying nominees by existing season ticket holders on a first-come first-served basis.
A half-season ticket includes ten home Premier League fixtures, beginning with the visit of Everton on Saturday 28th December and including matches against Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool.
Steve Bruce said: "The supporters have been nothing short of magnificent since I arrived in the summer and I’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you to each and every one of them.
"I HOPE A GESTURE LIKE THIS WILL HELP US TO FILL THE PLACE BECAUSE ST. JAMES’ PARK IN FULL VOICE IS A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH."
STEVE BRUCE
"To have the crowds we have is wonderful, and we can’t ever take that for granted, but the question to all of us at the club is can we pack the stadium to the rafters?
"It starts with results on the pitch, but I hope a gesture like this will help us to fill the place because St. James’ Park in full voice is a force to be reckoned with.
"It really does give the players an edge and when they work hard and play well, the atmosphere is like nowhere else."
Lee Charnley said: "Steve and I spoke after Sunday’s win against Southampton about what we could do to bring as many people as possible into the stadium.
"As Steve and the players will testify, a full St. James’ Park does make a big difference and we want to support them in achieving that.
"While of course we want to encourage fans to come back and also to attract new fans, at this time we wanted to do something specifically for our existing season ticket holders to reward them for their loyalty and support of Steve and the players.
"I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has been to matches so far this season.
"The support Steve, the staff and the players have had has been fantastic and it has helped to produce some very encouraging results on the pitch. We want to move forward together and I hope this gesture is another step towards achieving that."

NUFC have gone from having a season ticket waiting list to giving away (if they can, I have my doubts 10k will even take them up on the offer!) 10,000 season tickets. Otherwise known as the Mike Ashley effect.

Fans are talking about taking up the free tickets and not using them, meaning that they can't sell the seats on for individual games and keeps the desired effect of all those empty seats, which Ashley hates, in operation.

NUFC have gone from having a season ticket waiting list to giving away (if they can, I have my doubts 10k will even take them up on the offer!) 10,000 season tickets. Otherwise known as the Mike Ashley effect.

Fans are talking about taking up the free tickets and not using them, meaning that they can't sell the seats on for individual games and keeps the desired effect of all those empty seats, which Ashley hates, in operation.
I hope they do manage to do this, but I have my doubts, the allure of watching the team they love as we all know, is very strong, especially when it’s being offered for free.

the sad thing is Steve Bruce is actually doing a pretty good job there, he deserves their backing.

I hope they do manage to do this, but I have my doubts, the allure of watching the team they love as we all know, is very strong, especially when it’s being offered for free.

the sad thing is Steve Bruce is actually doing a pretty good job there, he deserves their backing.

It is a shame. Bruce has done well and is a Newcastle fan so the empty seats will be hurting him, and the players, as limited as they are, are giving 100% effort and deserve good backing from the fans.

It's an awkward one. I packed my season ticket in and promised myself I wouldn't put another penny into that football club until Ashley has gone, and I've stuck to that, but I've got a NUFC mad 7 year old who is constantly pestering me to take him back to the match (he doesn't understand all the politics) so it's a way of taking him, and without giving the owner a penny.

Part of me says the boycott is clearly getting to him so hold firm and part of me is saying I shouldn't deprive myself and my son of watching our team and the players and manager deserve the support.

I'm probably about 60/40 in favour of standing my ground and staying away.

It is a shame. Bruce has done well and is a Newcastle fan so the empty seats will be hurting him, and the players, as limited as they are, are giving 100% effort and deserve good backing from the fans.

It's an awkward one. I packed my season ticket in and promised myself I wouldn't put another penny into that football club until Ashley has gone, and I've stuck to that, but I've got a NUFC mad 7 year old who is constantly pestering me to take him back to the match (he doesn't understand all the politics) so it's a way of taking him, and without giving the owner a penny.

Part of me says the boycott is clearly getting to him so hold firm and part of me is saying I shouldn't deprive myself and my son of watching our team and the players and manager deserve the support.

Feel your pain mate. Had to try to explain to my son why he couldn’t get the Rangers strip for a few years there because of that fat bastard.

Will be funny looking at their attendances for the rest of the season and seeing them still not being able to fill the ground despite handing out free half chargers.

When did they have a season ticket waiting list?

When did they have a season ticket waiting list?

My brother was on the waiting list 2 years ago for a season ticket. Someone has just put a screenshot on Twitter showing that they are currently number 12,383 in the queue for the online ticket office and apparently phone lines are jammed so fair to say Ashley gets his full ground back.

My brother was on the waiting list 2 years ago for a season ticket. Someone has just put a screenshot on Twitter showing that they are currently number 12,383 in the queue for the online ticket office and apparently phone lines are jammed so fair to say Ashley gets his full ground back.

I found this online:

To be fair that link only says for the most popular areas of the Stadium don't it (granted 7 year ago). Quite surprised to hear there was a waiting list 2 years ago really but could be the exact same score - just for certain areas.

Probably ain't the ones who have been boycotting or who have previously held season tickets/been regulars taking the offer of the free half season ticket I guess.

Last edited:
I found this online:

To be fair that link only says for the most popular areas of the Stadium don't it (granted 7 year ago). Quite surprised to hear there was a waiting list 2 years ago really but could be the exact same score - just for certain areas.

Probably ain't the ones who have been boycotting or who have previously held season tickets/been regulars taking the offer of the free half season ticket I guess.

My brother amd his son tried to get one for the 17/18 and was placed on a waiting list. Managed to get them the following season so it wasn't a big list but all 40k season tickets had been sold.

My brother amd his son tried to get one for the 17/18 and was placed on a waiting list. Managed to get them the following season so it wasn't a big list but all 40k season tickets had been sold.

Fair do's mate. This offer is bound to appeal to many, not surprised to hear it's jam packed with applications. Any idea how many there are going free? Guessing it could be over 10,000 based on this:

I'd say the majority of the money coming into Newcastle won't be going to the club it will be going to Ashley's pocket as well as all the revenue from Club merchandise. I feel for the young lad,but I for one would like to see the end of him the best way possible the wallet. We are still trying to get rid of him and I hope the rest of the Newcastle fans will rise up against him. Even if he does go he'll have Newcastle tie up in shadey deals just as he's done at Rangers.

Fair do's mate. This offer is bound to appeal to many, not surprised to hear it's jam packed with applications. Any idea how many there are going free? Guessing it could be over 10,000 based on this:

Around 10k apparently. They'll all be gone today, or as long as it it takes to process them all. A little known fact is that Ashley put the prices up for standard 1 year season tickets by 25% over the last 2 seasons so whilst lots of people are boycotting many were simply priced out as Newcastle isn't a particularly well off area.

I'd say the majority of the money coming into Newcastle won't be going to the club it will be going to Ashley's pocket as well as all the revenue from Club merchandise. I feel for the young lad,but I for one would like to see the end of him the best way possible the wallet. We are still trying to get rid of him and I hope the rest of the Newcastle fans will rise up against him. Even if he does go he'll have Newcastle tie up in shadey deals just as he's done at Rangers.

Totally agree there mate. The only small victory I can take is that he's had to literally give away 10,000 season tickets when in the past he could have expected to sell them for £500 a pop on average so that's cost him £5m.

Does any epl club really need gate money these days with amount of TV money flying around? Up here gate money is the difference between survival and extinction, down there it's just pocket change

The only surprise is he hasn't made the fans filter through his jumble sale shops on the way into the stadium. A bit like what's happening to more and more airports, where you get through security, then are immediately forced to walk through duty free, to get to the departure hall.

Back