Newcastle players and staff banned from shaking hands

What about a fist bump is that allowed

There’s no way of stopping the bloody virus it’s coming to us all regardless

Those most at danger from Coronavirus are the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions. So NUFC are stopping fit young men, in the best of health and subject to medical assessments on a weekly basis, from shaking hands with each other.

Thats gonna stop the virus in its tracks.

If they are that scared then don't train.they are training and probably eating together and.with each other hours a day.but hey don't shake hands
It's reducing the risk of spread without impacting their training in a big way. Not that difficult.

Those most at danger from Coronavirus are the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions. So NUFC are stopping fit young men, in the best of health and subject to medical assessments on a weekly basis, from shaking hands with each other.

You think it might be to stop them passing it on to other folk later mate? :D

It can affect anyone, fit or not. Hand shaking is a viable transmission route, so can understand why they have done this.

Most at risk of serious illness or death are elderly or people with underlying conditions, yes.

Fit young men are still capable being infected and having flu like symptoms which would likely prevent them from playing a game or two so minimising chance of spread is a pretty sensible thing to do

It can affect anyone, fit or not. Hand shaking is a viable transmission route, so can understand why they have done this.

For a fit young man the likelyhood is the symptoms would be no worse than the ‘flu. Do they ban shaking hands every Winter?

We should just self-isolate the entire country. No footie, no nights out, just stay at home and ‘infect’ the wife.

Those fit young men are less likely to catch it and pass it on to an elderly person if they don't shake hands.

They could carry it to others.

Don’t they wash after sweating like f*ck during those training sessions? It’s not the Dhims we are talking about. It’s bullshit tokenism.
I imagine they do, but if you have seen how people are recommended to wash their hands to prevent spread, I doubt they can or will do it sufficiently. Several minutes, specific ways of washing the hands, making sure every cranny and fingernail is gotten.

It is something, and nothing to be upset about.

Those fit young men are less likely to catch it and pass it on to an elderly person if they don't shake hands.
They could carry it to others.

As I said earlier, it seems contact is the most common way of passing it on (hence the handshake ban). The advice to combat that is to wash your hands every time you get home. These guys will be washing/showering after every session before leaving the training ground. A quick hand-wash when they get home again, or use of a hand sanitiser, and they’ve reduced the risk as much as is possible without isolation.

Are you guys avoiding contact with anyone and everyone?

As I said earlier, it seems contact is the most common way of passing it on (hence the handshake ban). The advice to combat that is to wash your hands every time you get home. These guys will be washing/showering after every session before leaving the training ground. A quick hand-wash when they get home again, or use of a hand sanitiser, and they’ve reduced the risk as much as is possible without isolation.

What happens if they are in the car park and shake hands with the security guard on the way out? Already showered. It is a nothing gesture that costs absolutely nothing and if everyone did it, might delay the spread a little. Really do not see anything to be upset over to be honest.

Not currently, but I can see that medical advice (as well as what you've said, which is obviously important) being recommended to everyone if the virus keeps spreading. I think its pretty reasonable to ask people to stop shaking hands.

No I'm not avoiding contact with everyone but I don't train with a squad if professional footballers, my employers don't pay me tens of thousands of pounds to be in peak physical health and I don't get many strangers asking for autographs or to shake my hand on a daily basis

No I'm not avoiding contact with everyone but I don't train with a squad if professional footballers, my employers don't pay me tens of thousands of pounds to be in peak physical health and I don't get many strangers asking for autographs or to shake my hand on a daily basis

So they have the same measures in place to cope with the common ‘flu every Winter?

What happens if they are in the car park and shake hands with the security guard on the way out? Already showered. It is a nothing gesture that costs absolutely nothing and if everyone did it, might delay the spread a little. Really do not see anything to be upset over to be honest.

I‘m not upset mate. To put this into context for those who think I’m being dismissive of the threat. My wife and I are in our 60s. I’m in reasonable health. My wife, sadly, has a serious illness. The medication she takes has a side-effect of severely impairing her immune system. She is very much in the high-risk category for Coronavirus and, indeed, any other virus out there. Even the common ‘flu could kill her.

Do we take precautions? Of course we do. She carries, and uses, a hand-sanitizer. We wash our hands every time we arrive somewhere new or get back to our own home. We try to avoid contact with anyone else who might be deemed high-risk. Common sense precautions. What we don’t do is render ourselves housebound through fear.

If the NUFC ban is a sensible precaution should we all be telling our kids and grandchildren to avoid any contact at school or at football? Should our game tomorrow evening be behind closed doors? Should those youngsters out on the pull this weekend carry some mouthwash and hand-sanitiser and insist the lassie rinses her mouth before that blow-job or wash their hands before they get near your dick? The biggest risk is though contact after all.:)

Think the problem would be missing a squad of players for a fortnight.

Not to mention if any one of them catch it then the entire club gets quarantined for 14 days and can’t train or play.

I spend half my year in China, this is pretty serious, the entire place is in lockdown right now, I’m in contact with them on a daily basis.

The first casualty of the virus is common sense
Look at how full time footballers interact on a daily basis at training
The chance that stopping handshaking will impact the spread of the virus between them is ridiculously minute when they are in dressing rooms, team rooms, canteens etc for hours a day, close together and talking. The extra risk of a handshake in that scenario is infinitesimal
There is a slightly higher but still minute risk with shaking hands with random people you wouldn't otherwise interact with but for those you spend lots of time in close social contact with the handshake does not increase the risk

The first casualty of the virus is common sense
Look at how full time footballers interact on a daily basis at training
The chance that stopping handshaking will impact the spread of the virus between them is ridiculously minute when they are in dressing rooms, team rooms, canteens etc for hours a day, close together and talking. The extra risk of a handshake in that scenario is infinitesimal
There is a slightly higher but still minute risk with shaking hands with random people you wouldn't otherwise interact with but for those you spend lots of time in close social contact with the handshake does not increase the risk
Sorry, I missed the bit where it said that this was the ONLY thing they were doing. Could you point me to it please?

Sorry, I missed the bit where it said that this was the ONLY thing they were doing. Could you point me to it please?
Dont understand the question but if they've stopped changing in the same room, stopped team meetings and eating together and told the players all to stay at home and avoid contact with anyone else then they may have had an impact
I will try to make it clearer for yoy
The handshake poses no incremental level of risk given the way players interact
It's a pointless gesture
Do you really believe that if there's an outbreak in the club it won't spread because they don't shake hands
Why not just ask them to wear gloves?

It's reducing the risk of spread without impacting their training in a big way. Not that difficult.
Never said it was difficult did i.so tell me what happens if the score a goal on Saturday or sunday.will there be no contact between the players.now that might be difficult

Just being in close proximity puts you at high risk.

If somebody in a football team has it, theres a big chance the whole team will catch it.

Nope. But I'm not a footballer that loads of people want to interact with me. Though to be honest I do it, but not a fan of shaking hands with people as there are ones that dont wash their hands after the toilet! This itself will not stop it, but wee things changed may make a difference. I dont see it as a big deal that they have done this. I would suspect that its from medical adivce.

All they have done is carry out the medical advice that has been given out by the NHS absolute non story.

Dont understand the question but if they've stopped changing in the same room, stopped team meetings and eating together and told the players all to stay at home and avoid contact with anyone else then they may have had an impact
I will try to make it clearer for yoy
The handshake poses no incremental level of risk given the way players interact
It's a pointless gesture
Do you really believe that if there's an outbreak in the club it won't spread because they don't shake hands
Why not just ask them to wear gloves?

How do you know they have not?

The only info you have is someone pointing out something they definitely have been told not to do. You have no idea if it is ALL they are doing or not and you are basing your mockery of it on that.

So they have the same measures in place to cope with the common ‘flu every Winter?
Steve Bruce's comments suggest they do when they have an outbreak, yes. They apparently had an outbreak of flu earlier and sent people home etc
He mentioned that they have a ritual of shaking hands as a team everyday and that has been stopped on medical advice.

Regarding your other post, I get where you're coming from and yes, for you and I, hiding in our homes and not going out is perhaps OTT. Newcastle however will be looking at it from their footballing point of view. How can they easily reduce their risks. Lessening person to person contact is one of those ways.

Nope. But I'm not a footballer that loads of people want to interact with me. Though to be honest I do it, but not a fan of shaking hands with people as there are ones that dont wash their hands after the toilet! This itself will not stop it, but wee things changed may make a difference. I dont see it as a big deal that they have done this. I would suspect that its from medical adivce.

I agree its not a big deal, in fact I don't think the banning of handshakes is a 'deal' at all. Its tokenism. Been covered earlier in the thread by myself and others. If the virus gets in amongst their group there are far greater risks that will lead to its spread than handshakes. Wash their hands before they leave home then wash their hands when they arrive at the training ground is sensible advice I'd suggest. After that then there's little reason to see why you would ban them from shaking hands before they start training (which seems to be the 'ritual' they have banned rather than just 'general' handshaking). It smacks of wanting to be seen to be doing something just for the sake of it.

I think the world governing body of football should minimise the number of games by cancelling every domestic league competition now and restart at the start of next season.

Keep matches to a minimum of domestic cups and European cups only.;)

Back