Newcastle tell fans to stop dressing up as Saudis

I'd prefer to think that they're dressed this up as insensitive cultural appropriation as a way of avoiding telling them that they just look like pricks.

The kilt as it exists today was invented by an Englishman from Lancashire lol. Scottish highlanders wore a ‘plaid’.
Exactly. 19th century tosh to boost the fledgling Scottish tourist trade. Was essentially banned after the clearances, traditional plaid anyway, and once tourism took off more lowlanders wore them than actual highlanders. Particularly in Edinburgh which was the easiest major hub for the foreigners to get to and had the castle and historic architecture etc to make it work. The modern wrap around 'kilt' was designed to make it easier for those not used to putting on the traditional garb which was an absolute mission to get into and get correct. It then grew from there and Braveheart of all things cemented it as the national dress of all Scots which is simply a fallacy.

I'd say people are more offended by that statement.

No one is at all offended, many Saudi's are actually loving it and encouraging more people to wear the headress etc, which might be a whole other agenda itself but that's a different post.

But to do something like this, just incase someone might be offended even though no one was, is utterly ridiculous and mirrors the frailties of today's generation.

PC gone daft.

allah.jpg

Too far? :cool:

The second tweet there is extremely telling.

Big “look, we know it’s a laugh but the usual sorts have got hold of it and we have to be seen to say something” energy.

Fair play to them for the follow up, tbh. They couldn’t make it much clearer without straight up telling certain people to grow up and %^*& off.

In a society that is obsessed with identity politics; why wouldn’t things like this arise?

In modern day anglosphere democracies; if somebody complains about anything pertaining to ethnic / racial / religious / sexual minorities, do what the co stituents of Twitter tell you to do.

If bless it’s “ up to our knees in Arab blood “ because nuance can be accounted for when it suits.

I must have been in a different place when me and the wife went down to South Shields the women where stunning I even told the wife to go back to the house where we where staying which I got the response of the skud to the back of my head
Must have been an Essex hen party

White people offended on behalf of ethnic groups.

Most Muslims/Asians in the UK and those from Saudi Arabia are laughing and enjoying it from what I’ve seen on twitter.

It’s like seeing Saudis dressing up in kilts if a Scottish owner took over a club there. We’d all be laughing too.
Nippy would be putting them top of the housing list

The comparison with kilt wearing is quite interesting. All this outrage about cultural appropriation seems to have only become a thing in the UK in the last 5 years or so. 10+ years ago you would see people wearing clothing from different cultures and nobody would bat an eyelid. It seems to be a thing copied from the USA.

Wearing a kilt is a tradition from the Highlands of Scotland, so presumably if anyone who does not have links to the Highland wears a kilt they are also carrying out racist and offensive cultural appropriation?

By that logic if a Lowland Scot wears a kilt they are a racist for appropriating Highlander culture?

There are lots of Scottish nationalists who are not actually Scottish and they wear kilts sometimes, are they are actually being racist and offensive for practicing cultural appropriation?
Mental thing is we are told to embrace and celebrate all the different cultures then you do by dressing in their national dress and you are racist. Then you go to a Muslim country and as a mark of respect women cover their heads etc. Is that appropriation? Too much to be dealing with in life without worrying about this crap.

As long as they don’t take this cultural appropriation too far It should be OK.
Maybe those complaining are worried the fans may start beheading people in the centre circle or stoning to death rape victims.

John Nicholson of the SNP has plenty to say about it. Doesn’t take a lot to offend anyone from that party.

BBC Tyne/Wear News
Wonder why he doesn't mention celtic fans wearing kamikaze head bands to the match. Saw a picture on BBC website young boys wearing headband. I'm deeply offended by it even though I have no affiliation with Japan and don't give a fekk

if you think about it, its the same as an American telling another American not to wear a kilt incase it offends a Scottish person.

Not one single mentally sound Scottish person would be offended.

Aye I'd love to take these trumpets back to workplaces before the world cracked fcuk you had (in my case) the sparky having a couple of special brews to get him going, the spray boothes like opium dens and the usual shite starting as a teenager getting your baws greased or in my case the grease wasn't to hand so I got the pleasure of swarfega.
They times didn't have all this shite cant do this cant do that.
Oh the memories that swarfega stung like fcuk , only got one complaint from a Mother about the greasing as it was costing her a fortune in new underwear for her boy

Oh the memories that swarfega stung like fcuk , only got one complaint from a Mother about the greasing as it was costing her a fortune in new underwear for her boy
Aye the wee bits of grit rubbing all day, they always got you early in the morning as well. I know this is going off topic but this place I started at 15 they're was the floor manager and being the dirty mentally challenged that he was I was getting the morning breakfast order in and this fcuker said to the director "what do you make off this one fighting down at the bus station director said aye I was the same at his age" the bastards face was brilliant

I’m not saying it’s particularly funny (those wacky Geordies!) but three seem determined to knock every last semblance of humour out if the game these days.

Daft escapades and winding up the opposition has always been at the heart of football, but nowadays everything has to be so serious.

Total number of saudies offended 0

It's all the left wing students from Western Europe

Donning the cloaks of the 'anti-racism' cult and speaking for those who probably don't endorse their message.

Similar to the middle-aged nutjob feminists who act like they are the voices of women despite most women not seeing themselves as feminists.

White people offended on behalf of ethnic groups.

Most Muslims/Asians in the UK and those from Saudi Arabia are laughing and enjoying it from what I’ve seen on twitter.

It’s like seeing Saudis dressing up in kilts if a Scottish owner took over a club there. We’d all be laughing too.
Wee Nikla is probably looking into their governmental methods as we speak.

Could be worse, could turn up with balaclavas and armalite t-shirts dressed as terrorists but who on earth would be as sick as that.

Back