Newspaper circulation ABC figures - compared with this time last year

mdingwall

Administrator

Herald 16,687 Down 13.6%

Sunday Herald 21,071 Down 15.5%

Scotland on Sunday 16,209 Down 26.5%

NB - these compare the average daily sale in Sept 2018 with he average daily sale in 2019

The Daily Mail is closing on rival the Sun’s position as the UK’s best-selling national newspaper, according to the latest monthly circulation figures.

The Mail closed the gap between the two papers by 30,355 copies in the last month, bringing it to an average circulation of 1.17m in September, ABC figures show.

The Sun sold an average of 1.24m copies but saw a 12 per cent year-on-year drop in September. It now has a lead of just 74,459 over the Daily Mail, but when the Sun’s bulk sales are removed that drops to 7,600.

The free Metro has the largest distribution of any UK newspaper at 1.42m. It climbed ahead of the Sun’s total circulation for the first time in March 2018.

The Observer saw the smallest circulation decline among paid-for national newspapers in September, falling by two per cent year-on-year to 159,780.

The biggest year-on-year declines were recorded by the Daily Star on Sunday (down 20 per cent to 176,949), and the Sunday People (down 18 per cent to 145,547), both owned by Reach.

LpNrNeC.png

I heard of one publication in another country that is phasing out print, I think; and these figures are interesting in terms of how they will eventually affect news outlets in years to come. The percentage figures are fairly dramatic for the tabloid sector in particular, which is interesting.

It’s amazing how consistent that % drop has been over the years. Seems to be in the 12% range every year. Not too much longer before the Record moves to five figures.

It won’t be too much longer before the decline stops, any percent of zero returns the same answer.

Printed news will likely be down all over the world.
I wouldn’t be getting a stauner about it.

And if you do...... the figures/stats for web links, hits, likes, tweets will sort that. The online figures will prob be on the rise year on year.

If I read that correct,
The Sunday Mail for September sold the same amount of papers as the six day daily rhebel

Daily Record and Sunday Mail will be below 100k next year going by the trend of the last few years which will surely be a psychological blow. However this just goes to show how the way all printed media outlets are going. Online rules in news reporting as well as in many other fields in the modern world.

It would be interesting to see their growth in online revenue during the same time. Does the switch to hits and online advertising compensate for the decline in the traditional newspaper sales? I suppose time will tell.

I am an ex-newspaperman and could see the writing on the wall years ago.
It’s a horrible industry run by horrible people
It has become completely vacuous and been trivialized by social media to an extent that the vast majority of what masquerades as news these days is items about pathetic nobodies.

We’re going to see the end of the era of printed newspapers. The only question is when, not if. And when could be very soon - easily within 20 years.

Killed by the Internet.

Not on an income basis, which is where it matters. Paid subscription take-up of online news material is very small in comparison. Some, like the Record don't even have an online paid subscription (AFAIK).
Most of their revenue will be from ads presumably, so less need for online subs?
For me what is happening to the record and other papers is the same as hight St shops moving to online. Shopping habits are changing.

Whilst I rejoice at the declining readership of the Daily Rebel, I am mildly disappointed that the reduction is pretty much in line with other red tops. I would have thought that the boycott of this rag by many bears would have accelerated their demise and the percentages would have been greater.

When the Record eventually goes tits up, hopefully everybody will be smart enough not to click on any of their click bait shite.

That’s about 1 person in 48 takes the Record. Its influence is significantly diluted.

Most of their revenue will be from ads presumably, so less need for online subs?
For me what is happening to the record and other papers is the same as hight St shops moving to online. Shopping habits are changing.
Definitely ad income is there, but imagine that it will be unlikely to be enough on its own as paper sales fall. Hopefully not!

We’re going to see the end of the era of printed newspapers. The only question is when, not if. And when could be very soon - easily within 20 years.

Killed by the Internet.

This is the one and only reason for the reduction in figures of printed editions.

This is the one and only reason for the reduction in figures of printed editions.

It's definitely the main reason by some way but it's not the only reason. I know someone who owned probably the busiest independent newsagents in Scotland and he said a lot of his older customers had stopped getting newspapers for a variety of reasons, the main one being a perceived reduction in quality and "actual news" without opinion.

Everyone is down but interesting to see the quality papers and the free papers circulation suffering the lowest drops, I suppose to be expected. The shittier the paper the more the fall. The Telegraph which know doubt sees itself as quality is up there with the shite at -14%. Serves the Boris Johnson pandering pricks right :)

How do they stay in business? Surely as circulation falls advertising rates have to go down (you’d think) and they’d make even less money.

it’s time these papers gave up. Rangers hating bastards.

The Herald used to be a decent, balanced newspaper. It’s deteriorated to the point of being a Nat propaganda flyer & the Sunday Herald is even worse.

it’s probably further back than I think but it doesn’t seem that long ago that the Sunday Mail was shifting around 800,000 copies IIRC.

I used to love reading about the Rangers (and football in general) in all the newspapers but they have deliberately alienated a huge customer base by their bias. They will reap what they have sown.

Back