Next step for Nathan Patterson?

I did. He's not the first player to have had a howler in one. I still remember Ricksen getting pulled off before HT in one.
He also had a howler against the Belgians at Ibrox. He isn’t a RB may have been able to play it to somewhere near a decent level 10 years ago not now. May be personal bias because I don't rate him at CH either.

Imagine going into a crunch tie with Balogun or, somehow worse, Jack at right-back next season while Patterson is flying out on loan? The manager would be crucified, and rightly so.

It's just a non-starter for so many reasons.
Why would that have to happen though?

If we did decide to loan him out, we should sign a Bassey level player to come in, develop in the first season before going out on loan for the same reasons.

The end result would be Patterson and someone else both being ready for Tav's current deal expiring.

I’d keep him here but give him a lot more game time in the cups and against weaker teams in the league.

I feel he’d still develop more here with our coaching team and where our fullbacks play a very attacking role, than being on loan at an Aberdeen or Hibs under some dinosaur telling him to launch aimless balls down the channels.
This.

It doesn't have to be a zero sum game with Tav and Patterson. As it stands - or certainly since the emergence of Patterson - we've been hugely reliant on Tav, to the point where it would have been a disaster if he was to get injured/suspended for any period of time - we no longer have that issue.

Next season will be another long slog, and having two more than capable RB's will be a huge boost in trying to make it a successful one.

The panic of who is going to be culled in favour of the other is just a little OTT.

As controversial and unpopular is it sounds id make Patterson first choice.

He is good enough and has the potential to fetch us £20-£30m in a year or two. We need to maximise that and sitting on the bench isnt going to develop him after a decent stint in the team in some big games.

Its just typical that one of our other most influential and best players plays in the same position.

He is good enough and has the potential to fetch us £20-£30m in a year or two.

Its just typical that one of our other most influential and best players plays in the same position.
If Tavernier is sold then I absolutely agree.

If not, Tavernier is far too good to just discard.

A loan for a youngster is usually where there will be little to no first team game time at his stage of development. Not the case for where Patterson is within the squad now. Will be required for first team duties regardless of Tav's fitness now, game dependant of course.

He is good enough and has the potential to fetch us £20-£30m in a year or two. We need to maximise that and sitting on the bench isnt going to develop him after a decent stint in the team in some big games.

Madness!

Why would that have to happen though?

If we did decide to loan him out, we should sign a Bassey level player to come in, develop in the first season before going out on loan for the same reasons.

The end result would be Patterson and someone else both being ready for Tav's current deal expiring.

Would rather keep and develop Patterson under our EPL standard management team, while giving him ample game time for his age. Which is what will happen.

He also meets the homegrown quota.

He also had a howler against the Belgians at Ibrox. He isn’t a RB may have been able to play it to somewhere near a decent level 10 years ago not now. May be personal bias because I don't rate him at CH either.
He's no right back mate I agree, but he's been excellent in central defence and has given us 3 quality central defenders this season.
It's the main reason our defensive record has been outstanding this season.

Compare his performances to Niko last season, who was our 3rd choice.

Night and day.

Think he will stay put and probably get more game time. Tav doesn’t need to play every minute of every game.

He's no right back mate I agree, but he's been excellent in central defence and has given us 3 quality central defenders this season.
It's the main reason our defensive record has been outstanding this season.

Compare his performances to Niko last season, who was our 3rd choice.

Night and day.
I may be wrong but I think his positional sense is terrible. He has also has a really bad habit of diving in for me. Makes last ditch tackles with his pace but people seem to miss or not notice he has to do this because of his poor positioning or he's dived in earlier in passage of play.

That just doesn't make any sense mate.

Is there going to be 5 subs or 3 next season as surely this could make a difference to Patterson‘s playing time.

With Tav signing until 2024, he has essentially committed to ending his career at Rangers if he isn't sold this summer.

Patterson is already too good to be wasted sitting on the bench most weeks, we would be harming his development and potentially lowering his ceiling if that ended up being the case.

I really think we should be looking at putting him out on loan for a season if Tav is still here in the summer. If Tav is sold, I think we should commit to having Patterson as our primary option. I fully believe that he has to potential to grow into the better fullback.
No.

I may be wrong but I think his positional sense is terrible. He has also has a really bad habit of diving in for me. Makes last ditch tackles with his pace but people seem to miss or not notice he has to do this because of his poor positioning or he's dived in earlier in passage of play.

Well the fact we're unbeaten in the league and have conceded 2 domestic goals at home all season, doesn't really back up your assessment of him.

Tbh mate, "poor positioning and diving in" is probably a perfect description of Katic's main weaknesses.

He is 19 years old he has to be patient he will get more games next season than he did this season and that will continue going forward it has been proven that Tav is not quite invincible anymore in terms of injury and perhaps will get a few more rests going forward and too many games for Patterson at this stage of his development at this level could damage his body just look at Tierney him and Tav will push each other on and we as a club will reap the benefits .

He has a point. It's a dilemma because Patterson for me has already shown he should be playing regularly for his development. He's not going to come on sitting on a bench 75% of the time. Playing youth games no use he's miles above that level now. To me the kid already shown he has the potential to be a class or 2 above Tavernier in time. He is a potential multi multi million pound asset. Its a conundrum how we develop his massive potential now with Club captain and 1 of our key players in front if him.

He will get plenty of game time next season.

Having two quality right backs will allow us to manage Tav’s game time more, sending him out on loan would be a waste.

Well the fact we're unbeaten in the league and have conceded 2 domestic goals at home all season, doesn't really back up your assessment of him.

Tbh mate, "poor positioning and diving in" is probably a perfect description of Katic's main weaknesses.
Do you think that’s one of the reasons for the massive improvement of the defence this season? Ive spoke about that with my old man?

We all love a warrior type that attacks everything but it may possibly be one of the reasons we have been much better this season at the back.

With Tav signing until 2024, he has essentially committed to ending his career at Rangers if he isn't sold this summer.

Patterson is already too good to be wasted sitting on the bench most weeks, we would be harming his development and potentially lowering his ceiling if that ended up being the case.

I really think we should be looking at putting him out on loan for a season if Tav is still here in the summer. If Tav is sold, I think we should commit to having Patterson as our primary option. I fully believe that he has to potential to grow into the better fullback.
I would not put him out on loan, Tav like other players becomes a legend during his time injured and when he comes back his old defensive failings will show again so for me
It doesn't have to be a zero sum game with Tav and Patterson. As it stands - or certainly since the emergence of Patterson - we've been hugely reliant on Tav, to the point where it would have been a disaster if he was to get injured/suspended for any period of time - we no longer have that issue.

Next season will be another long slog, and having two more than capable RB's will be a huge boost in trying to make it a successful one.

The panic of who is going to be culled in favour of the other is just a little OTT.
People are making Tav out to be some superstar especially the longer he is injured the better he seems to get, for me Patterson is a better defender and as good going forward as Tav, putting a talent like him on loan is not on, just my opinion but I feel he is the better all round player and if I was him and continually getting dropped for Tav who will still be error prone then I would not be happy.

I would not put him out on loan, Tav like other players becomes a legend during his time injured and when he comes back his old defensive failings will show again so for me

People are making Tav out to be some superstar especially the longer he is injured the better he seems to get, for me Patterson is a better defender and as good going forward as Tav, putting a talent like him on loan is not on, just my opinion but I feel he is the better all round player and if I was him and continually getting dropped for Tav who will still be error prone then I would not be happy.
How many defensive mistakes has Tavernier made this season?

He has a point. It's a dilemma because Patterson for me has already shown he should be playing regularly for his development. He's not going to come on sitting on a bench 75% of the time. Playing youth games no use he's miles above that level now. To me the kid already shown he has the potential to be a class or 2 above Tavernier in time. He is a potential multi multi million pound asset. Its a conundrum how we develop his massive potential now with Club captain and 1 of our key players in front if him.
We play a ton of games and Tav is touching 30. He'll be rested from time to time.

That's before we even consider potential injuries.

I swear some folk on here watch a different team from me at times.

Tav , will play all the big games unless injured at a push Patterson will get 15-20 games , that will be in against poorer opposition , with large gaps in between games , sadly that won’t bring the boy on as much as a player .Especially if he has coped well with the best we will come up against already .

Do you think that’s one of the reasons for the massive improvement of the defence this season? Ive spoke about that with my old man?

We all love a warrior type that attacks everything but it may possibly be one of the reasons we have been much better this season at the back.

I think so mate.

There's no comparison between Balogun and Katic.
He's miles quicker, better on the ball, reads situations quicker and is a better marker at set pieces.

Goldson and Helander are our best 2 central defenders imo, but there's hasn't been the huge drop off in quality this season, when Helander hasn't been available.

Aye, they’ve been rife this season.....

Katic is still young. This season been a anomaly not the norm for goals lost or games lost. Will go back to some form of normality next season for both imo. I watch Balogun and I just don't see what others do he will cost us goals next season imo. Just my opinion on him he has many obvious weaknesses for a CH his age to me. His pace covers up for these at times imo.

That’s enough FF for today, Utter pish

I think so mate.

He's miles quicker, better on the ball, reads situations quicker and is a better marker at set pieces.

Goldson and Helander are our best 2 central defenders imo, but there's hasn't been the huge drop off in quality this season, when Helander hasn't been available.
Disagree with the last part mate, Helander is significantly better and is missed whenever absent

I think so mate.

Katic can be coached to become a much better CH than Balogun in my opinion.

I think he will start a lot more games next season. I think along the lines of 15-20 games I can see him starting. I do think after next season he will be our main rb. I could see us maybe accommodating tav in the team still by playing him in a different position which I think he could due to his ability on the ball. Something along the lines of a cm in the box to box role would be a good position for tav imo. This is something that may need to happen if Patterson keeps developing at the rate he is.

Keep him 100%

He'll get the required game time I'm sure of it, plus the invaluable coaching he'll receive in our systems and formation not to mention the mentoring he'll get from Tav

We have a tendency to go completely overboard on every youth player that makes it to the fringes. I see Patterson is no exception.

Undoubtedly a good player but time and time again we are far too quick to put this level of expectation on a player that still has so much to prove.

I think he will start a lot more games next season. I think along the lines of 15-20 games I can see him starting. I do think after next season he will be our main rb. I could see us maybe accommodating tav in the team still by playing him in a different position which I think he could due to his ability on the ball. Something along the lines of a cm in the box to box role would be a good position for tav imo. This is something that may need to happen if Patterson keeps developing at the rate he is.
Normally you'd be widely ridiculed for suggesting Tavernier should be tried in midfield, but part of me is hugely intrigued to see him in a 442.

But as long as our 4231 or 433 remains successful it ain't gonna happen.

If a loan it would need to be a clever one: perhaps Eridivisie or the like. Technical, tactical and where he has a good chance of playing most weeks.

If he stays he won't play unless Tav gets injured/suspended.

We have a tendency to go completely overboard on every youth player that makes it to the fringes. I see Patterson is no exception.

Undoubtedly a good player but time and time again we are far too quick to put this level of expectation on a player that still has so much to prove.
I usually agree but Patterson is different.

He already has the physicality and pace while being very good technically for a player of his age.

Na, not having that at all. Go out on loan where? Down south in the Championship/league 1? Will that improve his development more than playing alongside Tav, Goldson, Helander etc? No for me.

Plus, more importantly, we need a big squad to compete for trophies and in Europe. He needs to play his part as a squad member before stepping up to play every single week.

A wind up, surely?

Katic is still young. This season been a anomaly not the norm for goals lost or games lost. Will go back to some form of normality next season for both imo. I watch Balogun and I just don't see what others do he will cost us goals next season imo. Just my opinion on him he has many obvious weaknesses for a CH his age to me. His pace covers up for these at times imo.

He's a good a 3rd choice central defender mate and has made a huge difference to our defensive depth this season.

Niko is coming back from a very serious injury and I'll be suprised to see him in the Rangers 1st team in the next year.

We all want him to do well, but he badly needs game time and I think a season long loan is likely.
Hopefully he then comes back a more complete defender.

Disagree with the last part mate, Helander is significantly better and is missed whenever absent
I think Healnder is significantly better too mate, but there's an even bigger drop in quality between Balogun and Katic.

I think he’ll see more games next season which will probably benefit Tav as he can rest and recuperate. Nathan wasn’t quite ready in the last couple of seasons to be a proper back up. He certainly is now. Big future with us hopefully.

Back