Next step for Nathan Patterson?

Katic can be coached to become a much better CH than Balogun in my opinion.

I think he may too.

He has the right attitude and all the physical attributes.

His pace will never improve, but I think his passing, set piece marking and reading of situations could.

He badly needs regular game time though, after his injury.

Tav will play less games in the coming seasons, NO will get Cup games and the smaller SPL sides imho.

The next stage for him is that he plays 15-20 games for us next season. We keep Tav completely fresh for the big games

Paterson could displace Tav in the next couple of years then he moves back to England for a fee or somebody comes in for him earlier and he fancies a move.

If we don’t loan him out there needs to a lot more rotation of Tav.

15/20 mins as a sub won’t develop him. He needs to be starting 15-20 games at the very, very least.

Spot on, getting game time as a sub at the end of games will do Nathan no good at all, he has to start games for his development.

This idea that many have that Tav will be rested for our "easier" matches to allow Nathan game time is fanciful. Anyone who has watched Tav in his time at Ibrox will need no reminding just how fit Tav is, he is a fantastic athlete, running just as hard in the 90th minutes as he is in the first minute in every game. There is just no way I see Tav, our captain, agreeing in any way to miss matches.

Nathan is such a great prospect, already such a good player that only at the weekend our manager was hinting at a Scotland call up for the lad. We cannot allow Nathan to rot sitting on the sub bench, he is to rare a talent too be left kicking his heels most werkends.

Not for one moment do I think Nathan will kick up a fuss at not getting alot of starting time but the club has to find a way to get the lad games and just perhaps, if that means going out on loan to a top English Championship side then so be it.

We need two quality right backs so don't see the problem. Patterson will get some more game time next season.

He won't go on loan because he knows he's still a good way off Tav's overall level and wants to keep developing at Ibrox and learning from him, until he becomes good enough to be 1st choice.

His game time will increase next season.

Remember he's only 19.

agree with this - a season of understudy next season and we know he can step up (& therefore we have no worries about replacing tav) and the season after he is set the challenge to displace tav

I think he is fine to have another 2 seasons where he plays 15-20 games. Training everyday with first team and playing cups and league games is enough to keep him going.
Would doubt we would loan him out with nobody to fill in that position.

He looks a prospect but miles of Tav level just now
I agree with this pal. If young Patterson gets 15-20 games a season it will be great for his development.

I also believe in another 18 months I think he will be pushing Tav very hard for his starting position. Tav has really grown into the Rangers jersey but from what I’ve seen I believe Patterson will be a level or 2 up from him throughout his career. For a 19 yr old it’s brilliant how he’s handle each game.

Katic can be coached to become a much better CH than Balogun in my opinion.
I disagree, I don’t think Katic has the footballing brain that goldson, helander and balogun and that will affect his prospects of how far he will go. His footballing brain is shown in his mistiming of jumping for balls he has no chance of winning, that Goldson still needs to talk him through the game when he plays. His other negatives include his poor ability on the ball, also for all the warrior talk he’s our worst centre back in the air. Our defensive record this season has shown that having three reliable centre backs at the club will do for you, it’s no surprise to me that happened when Katic has been out the team.

For me he has to be patient with this. He is 18-19 he goes could be another kyle hutton with ek. Sits bides his time plays 15-20 games the next 3 season he is rangers right back at 22.

I disagree, I don’t think Katic has the footballing brain that goldson, helander and balogun and that will affect his prospects of how far he will go. His footballing brain is shown in his mistiming of jumping for balls he has no chance of winning, that Goldson still needs to talk him through the game when he plays. His other negatives include his poor ability on the ball, also for all the warrior talk he’s our worst centre back in the air. Our defensive record this season has shown that having three reliable centre backs at the club will do for you, it’s no surprise to me that happened when Katic has been out the team.
Fair enough.

We have a quality coaching team though and if Goldson is talking him through games then surely he is helping him at training as well. Katic is young enough for a CH to develop his football brain.

I think we have high hopes for him and we should hope he does develop as I think Helander will be for the off in the not too distant future.

Normally you'd be widely ridiculed for suggesting Tavernier should be tried in midfield, but part of me is hugely intrigued to see him in a 442.

But as long as our 4231 or 433 remains successful it ain't gonna happen.
I think it could be similar to ricksen in midfield, I think tav could play really well in there whether that be tav in box to box role in a midfield 3 or a midfield 2, or as part of a diamond on the right hand side of it (which we have played a little more recently).

I think it could be similar to ricksen in midfield, I think tav could play really well in there whether that be tav in box to box role in a midfield 3 or a midfield 2, or as part of a diamond on the right hand side of it (which we have played a little more recently).
Taverniers strength is running with the ball. He has good technique but he couldn't play in our triangular 3 the way Davis, Kamara and Jack do.

As said earlier he could probably do a turn in a 442 but don't expect it any time soon.

He should stay and learn from Tav and aim to become his predecessor.

Tav's goal should be to prep him so he transitions in seamlessly.

Nice position to be in, i dont think he should go on loan but i cant see how he can be left out the side, push Tav forward he has the skill and quality to play a number of positions could even play 4-4-2 in some games.... rest of this season be right time to see how it goes.

Is the more likely scenario not that at some point in the next 2 seasons Patterson overtakes Tav, has a Hutton style 6/12 months stormer and is sold for big ££££... then Tavernier is back in again! :D

Imo Tav will be kept for one more season massive season as champs get automatic group stages champions league then be sold for good money Nathan will play cup games etc and be ready to start weekly the season after .you just have to look at Tierney to see the damage you can do to a young boy over playing him . Nathans time will come be patient

Tav turns 30 this year. As fit as he is, he's not going to play 57 games like the 18/19 every season especially at the intensity he plays at. There could have been a case for giving him a break a few times earlier in this season before his injury.

I don't think there's a loan move that would really be worthwhile for Patterson. He's too good to play for the shite in our league and a move to the English Championship could go either way for his development. Next year, Patterson will feature more, develop further and there's the possibility of him featuring in CL football (something he won't get from any of his loans).

One thing to remember is that's unlikely all his progress will be linear. He'll face setbacks at his age and face criticism, some of it bizarre like the halfwit earlier in the thread talking about Tav and some of it extreme like the criticism of Balogun after a few poor performances in an exceptional season.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

We have a quality coaching team though and if Goldson is talking him through games then surely he is helping him at training as well. Katic is young enough for a CH to develop his football brain.

I think we have high hopes for him and we should hope he does develop as I think Helander will be for the off in the not too distant future.
He is young enough I agree but he’s been here for three seasons now, he’s not shown any real levels of progress on the pitch as a centre back. At some point we need to cut ties and I think if we can send him out on loan I’d look to sell him after.

If it all goes to plan we will be playing an insane amount of games next year. We will need Patterson to rotate and to cover injury. He stays for me.

He stays and is the back up, ready to step into Tavs shoes when needed.

with Tav turning 30 this year wouldn’t be surprised to see his minutes managed a bit more too

He stays unless an insane offer lands. He must have caught the eyes of a cash rich outfit.

Given Ryan Jack's fitness issues I wonder if Tav is capable of moving up into midfield which might allow both Tav and NP to play together. If Tav could make that switch his energy in midfield and ability to make a tackle could be welcome especially in games where our midfield need to protect the defence a bit. Would need to run the experiment domestically before trying it in European matches. Wouldn't want them tripping over one another trying to occupy the same space.

When did we play a diamond?

Tav has signed until 2024 , is it a given he will stay until then?
Is it feasible he plays Champions League next season allowing Patterson another season to develop then we cash in on Tav with two years of his contract still left.

Last edited:
Patterson should stay. Like the comparisons others have made with Foden. Keep him around top-quality pros like Tav, Davis, Kamara, Barisic and Defoe (depending who stays), let him learn from the coaching staff week in, week out.

He needs game time, agreed. But I've a feeling that he'll get it. Hoping Tav recovers fully from his injury, but I wouldn't be surprised if from here on in he needs a rest more regularly than he had this season pre-injury.

He should be going nowhere. We need a strong squad. Putting out on loan a player of his standard is not on.

Nobody knows what's round the corner in football, but I do feel we have a gem here. So he stays for me.

Patterson is such a good footballer i think he could be a cracking midfielder, he is a first team player all day long and way too good to go anywhere on loan.

It's not madness I genuinely believe Patterson is the better of the two myself.

You must be the only person in the country that's able to ignore our incredible defensive record, 16 goals, the most assists in the league and the best right sided delivery in Scotland for 30 years mate.

You'll be in a minority of 1, including Nathan.

You must be the only person in the country that's able to ignore our incredible defensive record, 16 goals, the most assists in the league and the best right sided delivery in Scotland for 30 years mate.

You'll be in a minority of 1, including Nathan.
Aye, what about Nathan’s da :))

I would not put him out on loan, Tav like other players becomes a legend during his time injured and when he comes back his old defensive failings will show again so for me

People are making Tav out to be some superstar especially the longer he is injured the better he seems to get, for me Patterson is a better defender and as good going forward as Tav, putting a talent like him on loan is not on, just my opinion but I feel he is the better all round player and if I was him and continually getting dropped for Tav who will still be error prone then I would not be happy.
Now I have been critical of Tav at times but to say a young player 5 games in to his career is a better player is some statement.

Did you watch the last old firm game?

Why would we sell our back up right back to play a centre half in his position should Tav be injured or suspended?
So Balogun had a poor game in the last OF , he wasn’t the only one.
Are you going to write off every player for the same reason?

So Balogun had a poor game in the last OF , he wasn’t the only one.
Are you going to write off every player for the same reason?
I'm not writing him off. Balogun is a decent centre half.

He isnt a right back however. Obviously Gerrard agrees if he brought on a half fit Patterson to replace him in said game.

I'm not writing him off. Balogun is a decent centre half.

He isnt a right back however. Obviously Gerrard agrees if he brought on a half fit Patterson to replace him in said game.
He played RB earlier in his career but perhaps needed more time to readjust to this position.
He certainly is as you suggest a decent CH.

Back