Next/This Seasons Europa Qualifiers

Ibroxkev

Apologies if this has been covered but only just read that this seasons qualifiers will be only be one leg.

We’re seeded for our first qualifier but there’s a potential for a tough opponent in the final qualifier.

Not looked at the Dhims but here’s hoping it’s the same.

Anyone else think that a single knock-out is a bit harsh?

It’s great to be seeing the benefits of our last two campaigns. Of course, this could still improve for next season. Single legs are a bit of a lottery really, it could end up really unfair playing every leg away, or we could get really lucky with it.

Unfortunately, the scum are seeded all the way and the path looks relatively easy. We’ll just have to take that CL place before it gets started.

Would have preferred the usual double header. If we lose away narrowly , then we have the chance to redeem ourselves at home by tactical changes learned from the away leg and the help of a huge Ibrox crowd. Makes the result more significant and better for the players and fans.

Would have preferred the usual double header. If we lose away narrowly , then we have the chance to redeem ourselves at home by tactical changes learned from the away leg and the help of a huge Ibrox crowd. Makes the result more significant and better for the players and fans.
There's not going to be any crowds for the qualifiers.

A very small number for the final qualifier a slim possibility at best.

Hopefully the draw is kind to us. Think the FA Cup result means Spurs are now potential opponents in QR4 should we get there. Would have been Wolves in that slot had Chelsea won that and they would likely be unseeded like us.

We should also avoid Spanish and Italian sides with Granada and Milan unseeded.

Obviously all these can still change depending on what happens in the earlier qualifying rounds.

It looks like we go into Q2 as opposed to starting in Q1 like the last two years.

Apologies if this has been covered but only just read that this seasons qualifiers will be only be one leg.

We’re seeded for our first qualifier but there’s a potential for a tough opponent in the final qualifier.

It might actually work for us knowing the game has to be finished on the night

UEFA didn't really have much option due to them been pushed back

When do the Scottish Cup winners / runners up enter if they are playing at Christmas ?
Aberdeen got the 4th spot.

In reality it looks like Rangers were given the SC spot, that let us start from Q2 while Aberdeen and Motherwell start in Q1. If I’m reading this correctly.

As @Texas ranger stated the Scottish Cup Winners place has been defaulted to the League - runners up no longer get that place since th competition won't be completed before tomorrow's UEFA deadline for National Association nominations for 2020/21

It goes the highest placed side that been us and for 2020/21 we enter at QR2 with Motherwell and Aberdeen entering at QR1

I’d we enter in the 2nd qualifying stage I think we will get passed that comfortably. The 3rd stage would be my biggest worry. We should be seeded for that and I’d imagine it would be a tricky enough opponent so a one off game could be problematic, 4th round should suit us being the non seeded team so chances of playing a really good team are high and a one game shoot out will be good for us.

I’d we enter in the 2nd qualifying stage I think we will get passed that comfortably. The 3rd stage would be my biggest worry. We should be seeded for that and I’d imagine it would be a tricky enough opponent so a one off game could be problematic, 4th round should suit us being the non seeded team so chances of playing a really good team are high and a one game shoot out will be good for us.

I would have thought being unseeded in the 4th round would be harder than being seeded in the 3rd

Our current coefficient would have meant we were one place off being seeded in the final qualifier last season. If we can get something on Thursday it could be huge. Also think there will be more shocks this season over one leg and with teams delayed in starting their domestic season.

Hopefully the draw is kind to us. Think the FA Cup result means Spurs are now potential opponents in QR4 should we get there. Would have been Wolves in that slot had Chelsea won that and they would likely be unseeded like us.

We should also avoid Spanish and Italian sides with Granada and Milan unseeded.

Obviously all these can still change depending on what happens in the earlier qualifying rounds.

Yes Tottenham are in the qualifiers and can be a potential QR4 opponent they enter at QR2 like us currently

Seeded in round 2 where we enter and round 3. Few tough potential teams in round 4 this year. And as we are seeded in round 3 it’s not like we can beat a seeded team and take their seed.

Tottenham Hotspur ** Eng
FC Basel ** Sui
Sporting CP Lisbon *3 Por
FC København ** Den
PSV Eindhoven *3 Ned
VfL Wolfsburg ** Ger
Sparta Praha *3 Cze
APOEL Nicosia * Cyp
BATE Borisov ** Bls
Galatasaray ** Tur
Malmö FF * Swe

Personally I think we are disadvantaged in this set up. The final qualifier will be particularly problematic if we are drawn away.

We’ve punched above our weight in Europe under Gerrard, I’m hoping we can keep it up.

Think it will be much more of a lottery this year, both with one leg matches and the teams at very different stages of match fitness. We’ll need a bit of luck and a lot of concentration.

I would have thought being unseeded in the 4th round would be harder than being seeded in the 3rd

It suits us playing a one off tie in the 4th round against a seeded team. I think where we could be disadvantaged is round 3 where I’d fancy us being seeded over 2 legs but in a one off it could be tricky

Having a look at this and would I be right in thinking a draw on Thursday night would take us into pot 3 of group stages dependant on qualification?
Seeding in the Europa League 2020/2021
UEFA European Cup Football - Seeding Europa League 2020/21
kassiesa.net

How the club coefficients are calculate

Europe's football website, UEFA.com, is the official site of UEFA, the Union of European Football Associations, and the governing body of football in Europe. UEFA organises some of the most famous and prestigious football competitions on the European continent including the UEFA Champions...
www.uefa.com

Certainly don't think Gerrard will be treating this as anything other than a massive European fixture. Obviously chances of getting through are extremely remote but I'm clinging to the hope 2020 still has a few maddies to throw out. Even if we don't get through the coefficient is enough to make it meaningful to us.

On the subject anyone know if it will be possible to get an unseeded team in the 4th round qualifier of they are knocked out by a lower ranked team in round 3?

Having a look at this and would I be right in thinking a draw on Thursday night would take us into pot 3 of group stages dependant on qualification?
kassiesa.net

Europe's football website, UEFA.com, is the official site of UEFA, the Union of European Football Associations, and the governing body of football in Europe. UEFA organises some of the most famous and prestigious football competitions on the European continent including the UEFA Champions...
www.uefa.com

Certainly don't think Gerrard will be treating this as anything other than a massive European fixture. Obviously chances of getting through are extremely remote but I'm clinging to the hope 2020 still has a few maddies to throw out. Even if we don't get through the coefficient is enough to make it meaningful to us.

On the subject anyone know if it will be possible to get an unseeded team in the 4th round qualifier of they are knocked out by a lower ranked team in round 3?

Not really since the draw is done on 18th September

kassiesa.net

www.uefa.com

Not sure if it is quite as simple as that. High coefficient teams could still potentially drop out of the Champions League qualifiers and displace us. But I do think realistically we'd be in pot 3 if we qualify, regardless of Thursday's result.

Any scope for 'stealing' a seeded spot again. Think beating a seeded side early gives us a better chance in the playoff

Any scope for 'stealing' a seeded spot again. Think beating a seeded side early gives us a better chance in the playoff
We are guaranteed to be seeded in all rounds other than the playoff.

A miraculous run in the Europa League 2019-20, or a decent number of upsets in the early qualifying rounds could see us seeded in the play-off round.

Otherwise we're unseeded, and we'd be relying on a low coefficient team beating the seeded team in the third qualifying round. The draw for the play-offs is the 18th September, while the third qualifying round games are played on the 24th.

Not really since the draw is done on 18th September
Just looked at the calendar if this is wrong I'll bow to your superior knowledge.
September 18, 2020draw for 4th qualifying (play-off) round Europa League
September 22/23, 20204th qualifying round Champions League, 1st leg
September 24, 20203rd qualifying round Europa League, single leg
September 24, 2020,UEFA Super Cup (Budapest)
September 29/30, 20204th qualifying round Champions League, 2nd leg
October 1, 2020draw for Champions League group stage
October 1, 2020,4th qualifying round Europa League, single leg
So the draw for the 4th round is before the 3rd round is played.

Does that not mean in that case we would draw seeded team v non seeded team for round 4. Then on 24th September if non seeded team wins that would be our opponents?

This is possibly the last unseeded europa year we will have. (Champions League still unseeded next year)

If you look the unseeded teams like Ac Milan and factor in the 1 leg aspect.

Perfectly happy taking half the seeds on away. Take any of them on at an empty Ibrox, based on how our track record is under the manager.

Even if we draw in Leverkusen that coefficient point would be really helpful.

We have 3 effectively blank years yet to fill.

We are ranked 39th in Europe on the last 2 seasons.

Seeded in round 2 where we enter and round 3. Few tough potential teams in round 4 this year. And as we are seeded in round 3 it’s not like we can beat a seeded team and take their seed.

Tottenham Hotspur ** Eng
FC Basel ** Sui
Sporting CP Lisbon *3 Por
FC København ** Den
PSV Eindhoven *3 Ned
VfL Wolfsburg ** Ger
Sparta Praha *3 Cze
APOEL Nicosia * Cyp
BATE Borisov ** Bls
Galatasaray ** Tur
Malmö FF * Swe

I would fancy us beating everyone of they teams with the exception of Spurs.

Just looked at the calendar if this is wrong I'll bow to your superior knowledge.
September 18, 2020draw for 4th qualifying (play-off) round Europa League
September 22/23, 20204th qualifying round Champions League, 1st leg
September 24, 20203rd qualifying round Europa League, single leg
September 24, 2020,UEFA Super Cup (Budapest)
September 29/30, 20204th qualifying round Champions League, 2nd leg
October 1, 2020draw for Champions League group stage
October 1, 2020,4th qualifying round Europa League, single leg
So the draw for the 4th round is before the 3rd round is played.

Does that not mean in that case we would draw seeded team v non seeded team for round 4. Then on 24th September if non seeded team wins that would be our opponents?

Yes the draw is before the 3rd round

But because of way it works it isn't true on the actual seedings If the draw was done the day after each round then it a true reflection of each team

So say for Play-off round Tottenham (seeded)/??? (unseeded) v Rangers (unseeded)

Tottenham lose their opponent are technically 'seeded' for the play-off round

Yes the draw is before the 3rd round

But because of way it works it isn't true on the actual seedings If the draw was done the day after each round then it a true reflection of each team

So say for Play-off round Tottenham (seeded)/??? (unseeded) v Rangers (unseeded)

Tottenham lose their opponent are technically 'seeded' for the play-off round
I perhaps could have worded the original question differently. I think in summation though it is a possibility we could face a lower ranked team than ourselves in QR4 given certain circumstances?

I perhaps could have worded the original question differently. I think in summation though it is a possibility we could face a lower ranked team than ourselves in QR4 given certain circumstances?

Yes if they beat their 3rd round opponents

Important we keep getting decent results in europe as following season if scotland stay in top 15 we get extra CL spot for 21/22 season

Reactions: VGM
Important we keep getting decent results in europe as following season if scotland stay in top 15 we get extra CL spot for 21/22 season

Scotland are currently 14th

Only Switzerland and Greece can overtake Scotland

Switzerland have Basel still in 3-0 up from 1st leg in Frankfurt

Greece have Olympiakos 1-1 with Wolves from 1st leg in Athens

14th sees Champions enter QR3 Champions route 2nd QR2 Non-Champions route
15th sees QR2 entry on both routes

The seeded sides could easily be exited in a one off encounter, don't forget that also.

So we don't know who we could be facing.

It suits us playing a one off tie in the 4th round against a seeded team. I think where we could be disadvantaged is round 3 where I’d fancy us being seeded over 2 legs but in a one off it could be tricky
This is basically the opposite of how i feel. So yoh reckon we have a better chance against a harder team?

This is basically the opposite of how i feel. So yoh reckon we have a better chance against a harder team?
I think he means the weaker team has a better chance in a one leg tie than over two legs. Still would much rather be seeded and the stronger team!

Could still be seeded in Q4 if we get past Leverkusen and make the semis. Having said that if we make the semis we might as well just win it and avoid qualifiers altogether :))

No. What I’m saying is with the one legged tie we are probably slightly disadvantaged against the weaker teams I.e qualifying rounds 2 & 3 but we benefit against harder teams I.e round 4.
When I say disadvantaged I mean we’d have a better chance with 2 legs.

Is there not a year gap before co-efficient points are added ie whatever we done in the Europa including Thursday night won't come into play until next Summer?

Used to be the case or has that changed in recent years.

Is there not a year gap before co-efficient points are added ie whatever we done in the Europa including Thursday night won't come into play until next Summer?

Used to be the case or has that changed in recent years.

No coefficient points gained during the current season are used the next European season for clubs

Maybe you are thinking about the country coefficient and that is a season delay i.e where Scotland end in the coefficient table in 2019/20 takes effect in 2021/22 season

No coefficient points gained during the current season are used the next European season for clubs

Maybe you are thinking about the country coefficient and that is a season delay i.e where Scotland end in the coefficient table in 2019/20 takes effect in 2021/22 season
That must be what I was thinking of, thanks.

Our current coefficient would have meant we were one place off being seeded in the final qualifier last season. If we can get something on Thursday it could be huge. Also think there will be more shocks this season over one leg and with teams delayed in starting their domestic season.
I think there’s a bit of a nonchalant approach to this by a lot of fans who probably don’t see us progressing and have written this off but every coefficient point is important as you mention. If we can get anything out of Thursday’s game it will be great.

It is harsh, but we have to deal with it. Fortunately our away form has been decent in recent years. However that might not be enough if games have to be finished on the night.

We better be practicing penalties...

Back