Next Time We Play The Sheep

Miles Morelos

•OUR STYLE OF PLAY
We seem to forget how Stevie G’s Rangers play when we play against Aberdeen. In the LC semi final and especially tonight, we revert to absolute turgid, sideways shite. I was scarred enough when I saw a hopeless last ten minutes in the LCSF, so I was utterly dismayed when I had to sit through another 85 tonight. Again, our cross rate against them was absolutely horrific, so play on the deck, through the middle. It’s Andrew Considine, not Cannavaro, so carve them open with one touch play instead of several minutes of tedious shite only to hit the first man with the cross.

FORMATION AND PERSONNEL
Aberdeen have managed to crack our wing play. We’ve played Murphy, Windass, Candeias, Grezda, Kent and Middleton against them this season and none have been effective. This leads me to believe that, like we did in the 3-0 last year, we must opt with a wingerless formation. Graeme Murty’s 4-1-2-1-2 should work.

To maximise this formations potential, we must have a three fluent, attacking midfielders and one ‘enforcer’ (who at least knows how to play a forward pass, so not Ryan Jack).

Next time, (depending if we bring in anyone in Jan), our best lineup against them is:

McGregor
Tav McAuley Goldson Barašić
McCrorie
(new creative mid) Arfield
Kent
Morelos Grezda
Players like Candeias and Middleton should come the bench to provide variety, and players like Jack and Coulibaly should only be used when we get into a winning position.

•DOs AND DON’Ts
Don’t give away stupid set pieces, and when we do, for the love of God, don’t put Tav or Goldson on their main threat. They’re both Class A ball watchers when it comes to these set plays.

Get the first goal. Vital. Even more important is don’t give the first goal away. I can’t watch any more of signature McInnes 6-5-0.

Test the goalkeeper early doors. Took us about 50 minutes to get a shot on target tonight. Lewis is a good keeper, but prone to total howlers. Taking shots from outside the box isn’t a bad idea, as much as tonight’s team seemed to disagree.

Back