Nigel Spackman

Bluebearjim

Just done a week on the Algarve with two mates. One arranges Charity golf days and was talking to Spackers on the phone. He put me on the phone to him (big kid at 63). Lovely guy. Said he loved his time with the Rangers and we discussed the SPL fixtures that came out that day. He referred to Septic as 'them c**ts' as they got Hamilton at home and we were off to Aberdeen for first fixture - Legend.

Lovely pass from McCoist to set him up. :))
My abiding memory of that goal was Johnston running down the flank before slipping it across to McCoist... the boos from the dregs of humanity were still echoing across to the away end by the time McCoist had drilled a pass for Spackman to expertly prod it home. Cue scenes of absolute bedlam in the Rangers end. What a debut.

I wish Spackman had played with us longer, had all the key attributes for a class midfielder... McCall wasn't too bad a replacement iirc

I thought he was a class act in the no frills, hard working, very efficient, top contribution mould - but to be fair he also had lots of skill

My cousin (a Chelsea ST holder) met him numerous times at Stamford Bridge charity events & said you couldn't hope to meet a more down to earth & thoroughly genuine 'geezer'
They were both delighted when he joined us

Remember him winding Chic Charnley right up one day can't remember now if Chico the swordsman got sent off.

I was down in London a few years back heading to a charity thing. Anyway, my wife, daughter and I went for lunch in Soho before I got the tube out to wherever I was going.

It happened to coincide with the Pride march that day and we cut through Air Street and onto Bond Street to see the parade. Pretty spectacular to be fair, they reckoned there were a million people there. As we were standing there I look down the street towards Piccadilly Circus and there was big Nigel standing with a solid 10. She was about half his age, so potentially his daughter but she was a stunner! Gave him a nod, he nodded back. Cool story.

My abiding memory of that goal was Johnston running down the flank before slipping it across to McCoist... the boos from the dregs of humanity were still echoing across to the away end by the time McCoist had drilled a pass for Spackman to expertly prod it home. Cue scenes of absolute bedlam in the Rangers end. What a debut.

I wish Spackman had played with us longer, had all the key attributes for a class midfielder... McCall wasn't too bad a replacement iirc
A pass you say? :))

My mate lived in the south of France and was mates with Mark Walters. He came over for the Monaco Grand Prix and they met Spackman by chance after the race. It was helicopter Sunday and the result had just came through. My mate said there he was with Walters and Spackman in Monaco singing Follow Follow and both of them giving it big licks. Big life highlight for him.

Just done a week on the Algarve with two mates. One arranges Charity golf days and was talking to Spackers on the phone. He put me on the phone to him (big kid at 63). Lovely guy. Said he loved his time with the Rangers and we discussed the SPL fixtures that came out that day. He referred to Septic as 'them c**ts' as they got Hamilton at home and we were off to Aberdeen for first fixture - Legend.
He has too high an opinion of them imo lol

Nigel was brilliant at managing a game , the opponents and the referee .

He really knew how to foul , how to win .

Imo

The only reason he, and Woods, left was down to the 3 foreigner rule.

I felt Spackman was a better footballer than McCall. No sleight on McCall but merely how highly I rated Spackman.

He went unnoticed in many games and his influence was often only noticed when he missed a game.

He was great player for us. I was also luckily enough to be in the Rangers end that day at the piggery, I'd yet to taste defeat on my visits there at that point, think I got to five before it burst. Some going :D

Also remember the howling pass back at Ibrox that led to an equaliser against the bheasts.

The only reason he, and Woods, left was down to the 3 foreigner rule.

I felt Spackman was a better footballer than McCall. No sleight on McCall but merely how highly I rated Spackman.

He went unnoticed in many games and his influence was often only noticed when he missed a game.
Oddly enough I was thinking about Chris Woods the other day and where he went need to google it .

Sheffield Wednesday deserved better than them.

1986–1991
Rangers 173 app

1991–1996
Sheffield Wednesday 107app

Great guy. Cousin of my biology teacher. We probably spent more time in lessons chatting about The Rangers and his cousin than we did biology. :D

Spoke to him a few times on the phone, always really nice and positive to a nervous and shy wee boy. Wish I’d have listen to him about knuckling down in class and at fitba.

Oddly enough I was thinking about Chris Woods the other day and where he went need to google it .

Sheffield Wednesday deserved better than them.

1986–1991
Rangers 173 app

1991–1996
Sheffield Wednesday 107app
Wednesday were a decent side at the time - reached both Cup Finals, both against Arsenal, in 1993.

Last edited:
Wednesday were a decent side at the time - reached both Cup Final, both against Arsenal, in 1993.
They where but Woods should have been at a bigger Club in my opinion,wonder how many England caps he got after his move he always had Peter Shilton to contend with that was the biggest obstacle.

met him at the euros in Portugal 2004 before England’s game against Croatia. I have rangers crest on my England flag and yes he refers to the unwashed as ‘them c**ts’ which my mates and I loved ! Class act on the pitch and off. Loved his time at Rangers and scoring against them c**ts

They where but Woods should have been at a bigger Club in my opinion,wonder how many England caps he got after his move he always had Peter Shilton to contend with that was the biggest obstacle.
Woods should have been first choice for England prior to Euro 88.

Shilton was picked out of sentiment latterly and was done long before he retired.

Don't think he got the recognition he deserved due to not being as glamourous as some but what a player.
Similar to Hemdani in that some didn't appreciate him.

Wednesday finished 3rd in his first season (91/92), Leed won the league with Lukic in goal, United second with Schmeichel.

Wednesday might have just been promoted but I think you under estimate how big they were back then.

Spackman used to nip into The Royal Bar at The Cross in Uddingston. I used to head over there to meet my mate now and again.

Was a very popular and likeable guy with the regulars in there.

Wednesday finished 3rd in his first season (91/92), Leed won the league with Lukic in goal, United second with Schmeichel.

Wednesday might have just been promoted but I think you under estimate how big they were back then.
Never mind back then, they are still a massive club.

I know. We'll never know obviously but I firmly believe Woods would not have conceded the goal in the semi final against the Germans.
He lost a goal in slightly similar circumstances the following season against that Mob.
Albeit, it was moving faster and the deflection happened closer to goal but he was a bit off his line.

How long was Spackman up here? Was he ever capped for England?
He signed in November 1989 (replacing Wilkins) and left in 1992.

Was never capped for England though were there not some stories that Roxburgh/Brown were looking to cap him for Scotland?

Last edited:
He signed in November 1989 (replacing Wilkins) and left in 1992.

Was never capped for England though was there not some stories that Roxburgh/Brown were looking to cap him for Scotland?
I was only 2 when he signed it was my dad said he was a decent player especially when he played down south before he came up here.

He lost a goal in slightly similar circumstances the following season against that Mob.
Albeit, it was moving faster and the deflection happened closer to goal but he was a bit off his line.
Shilton being off his line wasn't the issue. His inability to move his feet was.

Last edited:
Was down in Sutton Uniteds ground for game v Chelsea in the Ray Wilkins memorial match a couple of summers ago and met spackers in clubhouse and got pics with him..

Jason Cundy also there doing a raffle.

We beat Chelsea 2-1 with Alex Rae scoring both.

Back