nights when you want to phone your old man 're score and there not there?

frankfurterbear1

my English in title should be better! apologies.

my dad twosignals who posts on here and maintains the founding father gravestones with my mother, had a fall on Sunday night and ended up in ospital today and is kept in, though a 5-1 defeat for Martin o'Squeal would have seen the game recorded onto his DVD compilations of Wobbles greatest failures which he has made. He got his mobile taking off him and is on morphine to sleep, though remember the night of the Werder Bremen away game and he had a mini turn before the game glad he never saw the game as he would have had a mega turn, yet I couldn't phone on the final whistle.

I'm lucky I can get to phone hopefully tomorrow or next day when they know what the problem is, though must be hard for those who went to games with the folks and then boom, you don't have that person at end of the phone to celebrate or moan to.

Though tonight I had 3 calls to my mother, not to ask how my old man was, was to say 3-1, 4-1, 5-1!

Appreciate when they are here.

Had the real pleasure of meeting your Dad (L) and your Mum (J).

Wish your old man a quick and full recovery.

Your Mum & Dad a truly lovely couple and do fantastic work.

thanks, they are nuts I grant you that.
Appreciate it, though didn't mean to be about my folks, if the halfwit wore one of his five pairs of Merrells rather than his Clark shoes sure he houldnt have fell!

Had the real pleasure of meeting your Dad (L) and your Mum (J).

Wish your old man a quick and full recovery.

Your Mum & Dad a truly lovely couple and do fantastic work.

Hope your dad is getting better mate. My dad is 82 and nearly deaf. He also keeps falling over, the latest giving him a sore face. I cant call him but we talk about the Rangers more than anything. Last season was his last as an ST holder and I had a tear in my eye at the start of the season when I looked up behind me to where he sat with my brother and nephews.
The consolation I suppose is he has watched the bears for over 60 years.:)

Wishing your old man a speedy recovery. My father passed away in December of 2011 when I was 19, so he never knew of our troubled times, leaving us when we were still top of the league.

I like to think he'll be looking down and giving it laldy watching me celebrate 55 when it comes.

Hope your da makes a speedy recovery. He raised you well. The canvas of Ibrox you kindly sent me hangs proudly over my lad's bed.

Hope your old man has a speedy recovery.

Unfortunately mine is no longer with us. This Christmas will be 6 years gone.

Like most on here I'm sure, he took me to my first game as a kid then we got season tickets in MFO which I held onto until I moved out here to UAE in 2014.

The last game we attended together (which was also his first after an initial recovery from cancer) was the Jelavic cup final. The image of my dad standing on top of his seat at Hampden in delight will live with me forever.

I'm thankful that he never lived to see the utter raping our club has been the victim of since 2012 & I always take a visit to his brick in the Paul Gascoigne panel whenever I'm home.

Definitely C. I hope your old boy makes a speedy recovery.

Mine will be 80 next April, and thinks nothing of jumping in his car for a 390 mile round trip to Ibrox, no matter the weather.
As you intimated, value them while you can.

This strikes a chord with me.

Back when I lived in Burnside I used come through to watch the away games at The Mid Calder Inn (The Tap Shop).
I’d meet up with old friends, get a few drinks in someone’s house pre game and head up to the pub, drink through the game and stay till closing time.
Every morning my old fella would get up early, walk up to the shops, but a selection of newspapers and lay the out for me on the kitchen table.

He’d then proceed to make the most stunning fry up (his only culinary success) and wake me up in his usual robust fashion.

I was about 22-23 years old and I’m 46 now so we usually did pretty well.

4 years come May 1st since we lost him.
I miss those mornings......

Wishing your old man a speedy recovery. My father passed away in December of 2011 when I was 19, so he never knew of our troubled times, leaving us when we were still top of the league.

I like to think he'll be looking down and giving it laldy watching me celebrate 55 when it comes.
My old man passed away in 2008, still miss him massively. With me living in SA we used to contact each other after matches and discuss the game and latest news. Last game he watched in his hospital bed was the 4-2 win at the scum with the Mendes goal the day before his last birthday.

Lovely thread and I hope your dad makes a speedy recovery.

The thread touches me because I lost my best mate when he was only 27, it would have been his 42 Birthday the other day.

He was the guy who I used to go to matches with and he would have been the guy I’d have called after a bad result or he would call me if we hadn’t a big transfer etc. Lost a lot of my interest in attending matches after he passed, still feels strange going into Ibrox and him not sitting beside me.

Hope he makes a full recovery ASAP. Lost mine 12 years ago to Alzheimer’s. The last last 4-5 years were torture at times but make sure you enjoy every minute as if it’s the last. Hopefully your old man will have many more to come.

Best wishes to your Dad,mate....hope he makes a speedy recovery....Your post resonates with me....Guaranteed at the full time whistle,my Dad,who is 68 and is a ST in the Sandy Jardine Front,will be on the phone to discuss the game....every phone call we have involves the Rangers at some point,and when he's no longer around,I'll not have that any more.....

As you said,enjoy them whilst you have them.....WATP

Speedy recovery to your Dad frankfurterbear1

I lost my Scots Dad to the big C many years ago in 1976 when he was just 44 and I, nearly 18.

Thank God he gave me and passed on his love of Luton Town and Rangers.

Never has a day gone by since, without thinking of him.

In the days before the internet (or at least home broadband) I used to phone my dad from the USA every Saturday to get the score. Passed away in January 1996

just to let you that my dad aka Eddie the eagle/Alberto tomba was released from hospital at dinner time, still don't know the diagnosis as my mother is still moaning about the fact he wore the wrong shoes! Parents eh.

Just off the top of my head, thinking of all the memorable phone calls you make to them, Helicopter Sunday when I phoned and they were in Makro and my mum let out a roar, which clearly separated the bears from the unwashed in Makro. Next thing I see my mum on the 10 o'clock news standing on clear in Copland Road doing the easy clap. Other time Clyde away, Novo Vignal at piggery. Kilmarnock league cup final, life is beautiful in those minutes. Though Lovenkrands cup final, dancing and screaming in living room that the neighbours brickie who was building an extension stopped and just shook his head!

Rambling, final one of my crazy dad, comes in from work with 10 minutes left of Leeds game to go, 4-2 on aggregate, doesn't say a word, changes into his running gear and goes for a 14 mile jog to get away from the tension! you cant make them up!

Wish your dad a speedy recovery.

My old man passed away when my wife was pregnant with my first son so he never got to see my kids being born.

He took me everywhere to see Rangers growing up apart from the Piggery where he said the first time you go there it will be with your mates when your old enough or with my 3 older bros.

Cherish the time you have with your dad while you can.

I truly hope your father recovers and you get to enjoy many more nights like last night.

My Dad passed away in January 2010. There is not a day goes by I don't think about him. He was my best friend and the only person ever to call me every day.

He would have been laughing his heid aff at Wibble last night. I miss these nights - sadly they are gone forever.

my dad twosignals who posts on here and maintains the founding father gravestones with my mother, had a fall on Sunday night and ended up in ospital today and is kept in, though a 5-1 defeat for Martin o'Squeal would have seen the game recorded onto his DVD compilations of Wobbles greatest failures which he has made. He got his mobile taking off him and is on morphine to sleep, though remember the night of the Werder Bremen away game and he had a mini turn before the game glad he never saw the game as he would have had a mega turn, yet I couldn't phone on the final whistle.

I'm lucky I can get to phone hopefully tomorrow or next day when they know what the problem is, though must be hard for those who went to games with the folks and then boom, you don't have that person at end of the phone to celebrate or moan to.

Though tonight I had 3 calls to my mother, not to ask how my old man was, was to say 3-1, 4-1, 5-1!

Your a lucky man to have your Dad and hopefully for years to come mate. Your Mum and Dads work for the Rangers family is up there with the most important things anyone can do, respecting the men a women who have honoured our club in the past so we can honour our club in the future is what we live for. He has picked the International break to fall so he will be lying sniggering knowing he probably won’t miss many matches.
Get well soon Womble.

Wish your family all the best op
Your right , I think far too often , we take things for granted . We really should appreciate and treasure our family and friends.

just to let you that my dad aka Eddie the eagle/Alberto tomba was released from hospital at dinner time, still don't know the diagnosis as my mother is still moaning about the fact he wore the wrong shoes! Parents eh.

Just off the top of my head, thinking of all the memorable phone calls you make to them, Helicopter Sunday when I phoned and they were in Makro and my mum let out a roar, which clearly separated the bears from the unwashed in Makro. Next thing I see my mum on the 10 o'clock news standing on clear in Copland Road doing the easy clap. Other time Clyde away, Novo Vignal at piggery. Kilmarnock league cup final, life is beautiful in those minutes. Though Lovenkrands cup final, dancing and screaming in living room that the neighbours brickie who was building an extension stopped and just shook his head!

Rambling, final one of my crazy dad, comes in from work with 10 minutes left of Leeds game to go, 4-2 on aggregate, doesn't say a word, changes into his running gear and goes for a 14 mile jog to get away from the tension! you cant make them up!

Your Dad get the subtle message on leaving earlier?

2rxvd6o.gif

:D

Get well real soon L.

My Dad died 28 February and I spoke to him every day and sometimes, before, half time and after big games Rangers and sometimes Chelsea as soon as I left ground.

Football doesn't seem the same now and I still want to go and phone him at times.

Still painful and while puts results into perspective wonder if football will ever be the same.

Last thing he ever bought me was a brick at Ibrox for my birthday last December but not been up to see it yet.

Glad to hear your Dad is out of hospital, buddy. Hope he makes a full and quick recovery.

Getting back to your OP, I know exactly what you mean. My poor old dad has dementia and is currently in a care facility. I visit him and read him stories from some old Rangers books and occasionally play him a few of my party tune favourites from my ipod. :D. He seems to remember the tunes, but the truth is that his mind is well and truly gone and it's awful to see.

I thought about him last night as I was pishing myself laughing at the fifth goal hitting the net and knew he would have been delighted if he had been fully aware and watching it, but I know he wasn't. He sleeps most of the time these days. My own son phoned me from Glasgow at the final whistle.

As you say, Frankfurtbear, enjoy the time with your family when you can.

Struck a chord with me this thread. My dad died 4 years ago. He worked at Rangers as the stadium manager before retiring in 2003. Club were represented at the funeral which was a nice touch. Tough not being able to share the trials and tribulations of that last few years with him. I catch myself reaching for the phone now and again. Still, lots of happy memories watching rangers together to think back on. As the op says enjoy them while they're here.

For a couple of years after my dad died, I lost count of the times I picked the phone up to talk to him about the game. Treasure him whilst you have him, it's no fun when they'e not here.

I know how you feel as my mum died the same month.
She would go mental at the shambles we have become

glad to hear your dads on the mend mate I lost my dad in april this year and not a day goes by where I don't think about him as others have said cherish your family

All the best to your old man mate. Don't know what I'd do without mine. It's just been the two of us since I was 2 and me and him are very close. We have season tickets together, watch all the TV games together etc. I can't imagine life and Rangers without him!

So true, lovely story. WATP!

I'm really close to my dad and we still have our STs side by side.
We don't only talk about Rangers but we do ALWAYS talk about Rangers.

The last few years if it's an away game on TV and we're not watching together we'll text back and forward throughout the game with our thoughts/moans/commentary and in my dad's case his own special brand of coaching.

He'll be 78 in January and it genuinely terrifies me if I think of him not being there.
Almost all of my best Rangers memories include him.
Cherish your loved ones.....no-one knows what's round the corner.

Glad to hear your old man is on the mend Frankfurterbear.

I lost my dad over two years ago and although I miss him every day, I miss him most when things happen at Rangers. I used to love speaking to him about the Gers and football generally.
No one else can share the excitement of the good times with me. I wept so hard when we beat Celtic is the Cup semi-final last year as I knew he would have been so happy if he had still been with us.

Glad to hear your Dad is out of hospital, buddy. Hope he makes a full and quick recovery.

Getting back to your OP, I know exactly what you mean. My poor old dad has dementia and is currently in a care facility. I visit him and read him stories from some old Rangers books and occasionally play him a few of my party tune favourites from my ipod. :D. He seems to remember the tunes, but the truth is that his mind is well and truly gone and it's awful to see.

I thought about him last night as I was pishing myself laughing at the fifth goal hitting the net and knew he would have been delighted if he had been fully aware and watching it, but I know he wasn't. He sleeps most of the time these days. My own son phoned me from Glasgow at the final whistle.

As you say, Frankfurtbear, enjoy the time with your family when you can.

It’s the boring old fart reading my demise LOL, I have read your paragraph about your dad, one of our neighbours goes around homes trying to awaken people’s memories through the power of Football. He’s an Airdrie Supporter so as he says that’s limited, everyone wants to know about the OLD FIRM, so I went into Ibrox to see if they could help, David Mason has said unfortunately we don’t do any literature for these Football Ambassadors, however he’s been brilliant and supplied contacts. As our neighbour says when you see people communicating about football when they have rarely communicating for the first time in ages it’s Brilliant

I was sitting in a bar in Spain on my own not long after the old man passed. Watching the game when Oduwa done his "disrespectful" trick. My first thought was "can't wait to talk about that with the old man"
As a kid we always had an invisible wall between us but eventually Rangers brought us closer.

Lost my dad years ago, still wish I could give him a wee call on nights like this.
Speedy recovery to your dad OP, enjoy him whilst you are able to

Back