Nikica Jelavić retires ages 35

One of my favourite ever players. I'll never forget the feeling of that goal going in off the post against the scum. One of my top football moments.

Real shame he left us when he did and I’m genuinely disappointed his career didn’t pan out the way I thought it would. It really petered out after a great start to his time at Everton.

I think he would’ve fitted into this team perfectly. Fantastic finisher, movement and composure. A class act but he was still another full season away from the Premier League in my opinion.

His first time, side foot finish away to Hearts in October is one of the best finishes I’ve seen from us. Similar to Defoes earlier in the season but more angled.

The low fee we received from Everton was the first time alarm bells began to ring (obviously there was a lot of talk in the media, but generally the feeling on here was it was all conjecture).

Completely forgot he was at West Ham.
Good, good striker. Loovens, Mulgrew etc just weren't good enough to handle him.

Whatever happened to the Jelavic poem that some poster started a thread on? Think it was on the old forum. It was call 'Jela'? One of the funniest threads ever on here.

Real shame he left us when he did and I’m genuinely disappointed his career didn’t pan out the way I thought it would. It really petered out after a great start to his time at Everton.

I think he would’ve fitted into this team perfectly. Fantastic finisher, movement and composure. A class act but he was still another full season away from the Premier League in my opinion.

His first time, side foot finish away to Hearts in October is one of the best finishes I’ve seen from us. Similar to Defoes earlier in the season but more angled.

The low fee we received from Everton was the first time alarm bells began to ring (obviously there was a lot of talk in the media, but generally the feeling on here was it was all conjecture).
The fact we sold him for £2m less than we had been offered by Leicester in the August and West Ham days before he left was worrying me.

However, posters have pointed out to me that even we got the £7m for him, we wouldn’t have seen any of it.

I remember sitting up the back on English on my old Samsung Monte spending a fortune on the internet to see if he had left!.

As a side point, did Whyte or whoever not come out and say we rejected £9m for him at one point?.

there was some incredible stat that in his time at Rangers and Everton he was around 90% for first touch finishes. Now i know he scored headers and penalties but the stat was impressive

Not Laudrup or De Boer level in terms of technique, perhaps just on a level below them (possibly pre injury Mols also)

Would have been nice to see Miller, Jelavic and Naismith together for a few seasons

Thanks for the memories Jela!

Was this not his first goal against them? I seem to remember them going on about him in the same way they do with morelos not scoring but it didnt take jelavic as long obviously

Was this not his first goal against them? I seem to remember them going on about him in the same way they do with morelos not scoring but it didnt take jelavic as long obviously
It was, his only other goal against them was a cracking header in the 4-2 game.

Amazed he is only 35! Don’t think I fully appreciated just how young he was at Ibrox.

He was brilliant. Added a whole new dimension to our attack.

There are already enough threads comparing strikers, but he was certainly one of the coolest and most composed finishers we have had in my time. You really had little doubt when he was 1-on-1 with the keeper where the ball was going.

Imagine him in this current Rangers side alongside. Kent, Morelos and Jelavic would do some amount of damage.
That’s what I keep thinking.

Imagine we’d signed him last summer instead of either Roofe or Itten (no disrespect to either of those two)?

He’d be sensational in this team.

Some player for us. Obviously these guys leave for the money but I wonder how many of them regret leaving us to be a mediocre player in the PL

Whoever made that has the nicked the tune from the music channel played in pretty much every turkish barber I've ever been in.

Great player for us. surprised he's only 35 though. Got his name and number on my Everton kit when he signed.

Loved banging the sides of the bus windows, in beat to his great song.

Loved the “Jelavic” chant, too.

What a player.

Don’t get to many away games but was at Pittodrie the night he got the overhead kick. Amazing night, great striker.

Saw him play v Villa (I think) then the filth and wanted us to sign him. Was buzzing we got him. There was an Austrian poster on here at the time who was telling us all he was rotten :D
Probably was just a bheggar pretending to be Austrian.

Love that goal; Weiss' quick thinking, the ball taking what felt like forever to get over the line, Diouf's wee dance, cup winner against them, wearing my favourite strip of ours. Has it all!
It felt like an eternity, watching from the other end of the stadium on the day.

Back