Niko Katic handed Rangers transfer lifeline as Borna Barisic faces summer waiting game

Borna's career with us is a bit of a myth.

He had an average first season, a brilliant second season after his free kick against St Mirren, a pretty good but not great last season and a pathetic season this year with some notable shitebag performances (Malmo, Celtic, Frankfurt).

He's so far behind Bassey now it's laughable.
100%

A bit of a purple patch for about a year but over 4 seasons I’ve thought he was pretty average overall.
The problem is that typically when he has an utter stinker of match, you would struggle to pick a more important fixture for one of your senior players to have a howler.

All for giving him a chance but be amazed if he is still at Rangers after the window closes.

I wonder if Glen Middleton may also get looked at by Gio?
I would love to see him turn it around at Rangers.
And ...if anyone can do it, It would be Gio.

9 players who can drop in at CB going into next year. I'm not sure Katic will have much of a chance here.

Souttar- starter when fit
Bassey - starter but preferred LB
Helander - starter when fit (rare)
Balogun - able deputy
Sands - gets dropped in there for cup games
lundstram - dropped 1 back in Europe
King - Major prospect
Katic - ?
Mayo - good prospect. Not much between him and celtics golden boy Welsh

There’s a lot of quantity there but even the quality players have the health risk I fear.

We really need to get a genuine quality replacement for Goldson at least in my opinion, if not two players, and clear a few out. Simpson isn’t there, but he needs to be a part of that.

You know it wasn’t that long ago that the numbers that are getting bandied about for Bassey, were also getting mentioned for Borna.
When he too…was pulling up trees.

I think, and again just my opinion…that Gio likes him, and with the right coaching
Borna could return back to these consistent superb performances.

Yes he made a couple of glaring errors this season but again so did many others.

As for shitebag performances …
Malmo? Presumably At home.. I don’t remember him being worse than anyone else.In fact he wasn’t the one stupidly sent off in that game.If memory serves.
Celtic at Parkhead he was exposed, and didn’t have his best game.
Bad game for him, and many others.
Frankfurt.Seriously?
Mate unless you are coming to Vegas for NARSA, (which is heading mid 90’s chaps.Bring plenty of sun block) doubt you will sample temperatures like that back in Scotland ever.
34 degrees plus.Is insane to play football in!

Especially in dry heat.I know.I live in this8-9 months of the year.
All the players on both sides, wilted in the heat.
Who wouldn’t?

As for the Frankfurt goal which was set up from the right, not the left, Borna can’t be blamed.Surely?

My point is in my opinion, you are getting very selective.

I agree Borna after having an injury, which carried through to the Euros, from which he played, never had a chance to get himself fit for the beginning of the season.

Also if Borna hadn’t had such an up and down season we may not had seen
the emergence of Big Calvin.

“It’s a funny old game Saint.”

Bassey got his chance and took it early on. I remember the cup game at Ibrox where Bassey started left back and Patterson started right back. One of them shone that night and it wasn't Patterson.

Not having the excuses about the heat in Seville. It was the same for everyone yet Barisic was literally shitting himself to carry the ball forward. He kept turning back to play safe and pass the buck to someone else. Inexcusable for a Rangers player IMO.

Not once did I blame Barisic for the goal against Frankfurt.

I find it insane that people think a guy who has 24 caps for a country like Croatia and was their first choice going into the Euros (only wasn't because of injury) has the heart of a mouse and is a shitebag.

If we were signing someone with the background and experience of Barisic we'd be thrilled.

Senderos had 57 caps for Switzerland, so what? Barisic is not Croatia's first choice left back btw.

Pretty sure last season Gerrard called out Barisic about his mentality as well.

Take it you didn't watch the game then?

Every time he got the ball he shat it. Took the safe option of turning back and playing the safe pass. Every single time. So many occasions he could've drove forward but he lacks the mentality in these big games. He done the exact same thing against Malmo at Ibrox. Less said about the Celtic 3-0 game the better.
Borna pump your missus?

Wonder what they're seeing in Katic that we're missing.

Perhaps just to give him the once over, remember Gio and his staff have never worked with Katic before.

Also we could need a new CB or two, be crazy not to give one already on our books a chance, no matter how slim, to impress.

Also Katic is still contracted till June 2023 so unless we pay up his contract or both parties mutually agree to a parting of the ways, he is still our player.

Bassey got his chance and took it early on. I remember the cup game at Ibrox where Bassey started left back and Patterson started right back. One of them shone that night and it wasn't Patterson.

Not having the excuses about the heat in Seville. It was the same for everyone yet Barisic was literally shitting himself to carry the ball forward. He kept turning back to play safe and pass the buck to someone else. Inexcusable for a Rangers player IMO.

Not once did I blame Barisic for the goal against Frankfurt.

Senderos had 57 caps for Switzerland, so what? Barisic is not Croatia's first choice left back btw.

Pretty sure last season Gerrard called out Barisic about his mentality as well.
Mate, you are quite entitled to your view.I respect it.
I have seen, like as you have seen, Barasic tearing up this league!
I still believe he can do it again.

I do think he suffers badly from lack of confidence.
One that needs the arm round the shoulder.
Also Kent's form has not helped Barasic either.Another who needs that shoulder.

The season that Barsic was special, I think it also coincided with Kent's rich vein of form.
Might be interesting to see, if Barasic stays, and Kent leaves who his new partner on the left, might be.
If not I think the two of them be that force again.

As for the heat in Seville, unless you have sampled, it you really can't fully understand what it is like.
I live outside Vegas. Today's high will be 93 degrees.
On Thursday the day most, will arrive for #NARSA will be around 102.
Very close to what Seville was.

It is hard to breathe for more than 10 minutes when you are out in this.
Never mind bust gut in such an important game as that.
It is a dry heat. Much like Seville was.

It was seriously...seriously so energy sapping. For both teams.
And when you live in it for 8-9 months of the year.
Trust me. You get it!

Hajduk Split finished second, and I read more than one report mid-season stating he was really struggling. If I recall correctly, he sold a couple of goals in one game, was subbed before half-time with fans booing him, and was then dropped. He came back a couple of matches later. Can only assume they weren't well-off in terms of alternatives.

A Bear who keeps an eye on Euro leagues told me he was Kuznetsov-ed. You know that knee injury, where the player has an operation and is fit enough to run, but there'll be a feeling when he runs, or a mental block, or a combination of the two? Well, that.

Consider the above and look at the stats. Imagine most will be thinking the same as me... What a waste, poor sod, wish he could, but not a hope in hell.

Balogun wants to stay, but he was injured as often as he was fit. Helander, I really like, but another with serious injury worries. Souttar's past isn't great fitness-wise either.

Can only hope that another centre-half is signed, and we get a bit of luck regards fitness.

My memories of Katic are foggy - so I'm not sure if I'm being unkind to the lad - but I still have reservations about him

I suppose the crux of the matter is whether he can step-up, improve or kick start his development from here on in

The further question is whether we can afford to give him the time & opportunity to come good & that decision has to be unsentimental, based on financial issues

If he doesn't impress during pre-season then surely he'll be gone
If he looks half decent then presumably it's not too much of a financial burden to keep him for another season

I've posted numerous times (probably at least once too often) that I don't rate Souttar as highly as many others do

IMO if we don't properly replace Goldson - with an equally if not better option - we're asking for trouble - even if we can get an injury free season out of Helander

As for Borna - sure he's had a few wobbly periods - I'd still prefer to keep him till at least we've bedded in Goldson's replacement & we've established a settled & proven back four with decent back-up in each position

I was really disappointed when I heard it on the H&H podcast last week. Almost posted something in response on Patreon but thought better of it. Not only was it the wrong to say, it also doesn't make any sense either. It alluded to Borna doing it in the past but he hasn't. His record in penalty shoot outs for us, is taken a penalty in one and scored in one.
He's scored 3 penalties against Antwerp alone

Mate, you are quite entitled to your view.I respect it.
I have seen, like as you have seen, Barasic tearing up this league!
I still believe he can do it again.

I do think he suffers badly from lack of confidence.
One that needs the arm round the shoulder.
Also Kent's form has not helped Barasic either.Another who needs that shoulder.

The season that Barsic was special, I think it also coincided with Kent's rich vein of form.
Might be interesting to see, if Barasic stays, and Kent leaves who his new partner on the left, might be.
If not I think the two of them be that force again.

As for the heat in Seville, unless you have sampled, it you really can't fully understand what it is like.
I live outside Vegas. Today's high will be 93 degrees.
On Thursday the day most, will arrive for #NARSA will be around 102.
Very close to what Seville was.

It is hard to breathe for more than 10 minutes when you are out in this.
Never mind bust gut in such an important game as that.
It is a dry heat. Much like Seville was.

It was seriously...seriously so energy sapping. For both teams.
And when you live in it for 8-9 months of the year.
Trust me. You get it!

I was in Seville and aye it was roasting. Still doesn't explain why other players were able to run forward on the pitch whereas Barisic could only get the ball, stop dead, turn back and play a simple pass. That's a mentality issue and it's been a common occurrence this season.

Every player should be given the chance to be looked at by Gio and see what they can offer the team. In the case of Katic I can’t see him being here for much longer though but obviously it makes sense for Gio to check him out.

I wonder if Glen Middleton may also get looked at by Gio?
I would love to see him turn it around at Rangers.
And ...if anyone can do it, It would be Gio.

Honestly why the %^*& would he / we do that.

We have just got to a Europa League final and we are asking if Glen Middleton will be looked at?

Behave yourself

I’m afraid the EL final was the last straw for me as far as Borna goes. Maybe I’m being unfair, but I think the ‘injury’ that forced him off had more to do with the fear of taking a penalty, which he clearly would have been expected to do. Not long after being subbed we had a free kick in the perfect spot for him, but we had to rely on Tav instead.

Couple that with his spineless performance at the Piggery earlier this season, where he basically gave up, and it’s clear to me he doesn’t have the mentality to play for Rangers.

It’s a real pity, because the guy has a wand of a left foot and his crosses have contributed to our success in recent years. However, if he can’t be relied on when the chips are down, he’s not worthy of the jersey

I’m afraid the EL final was the last straw for me as far as Borna goes. Maybe I’m being unfair, but I think the ‘injury’ that forced him off had more to do with the fear of taking a penalty, which he clearly would have been expected to do. Not long after being subbed we had a free kick in the perfect spot for him, but we had to rely on Tav instead.

Couple that with his spineless performance at the Piggery earlier this season, where he basically gave up, and it’s clear to me he doesn’t have the mentality to play for Rangers.

It’s a real pity, because the guy has a wand of a left foot and his crosses have contributed to our success in recent years. However, if he can’t be relied on when the chips are down, he’s not worthy of the jersey
Unfortunately I’ve come around to this way of thinking as well.

I hadn’t until I listened to heart & hand review of the final where they all raised the exact same points you have in your post. Apparently he came off near the end of every extra time we played.

If we got £3/4 million in the summer I’d wish him well.

Unfortunately I’ve come around to this way of thinking as well.

I hadn’t until I listened to heart & hand review of the final where they all raised the exact same points you have in your post. Apparently he came off near the end of every extra time we played.

If we got £3/4 million in the summer I’d wish him well.
I hadn’t realized it was that often. Although I did wonder the same during the OF game.

He’s a very frustrating player. I had written him off after the piggery, but against Braga he was sensational and back in everyone’s thoughts because we saw what he could do. It came just at the right time as well.

However, as good as he can be he’s just not reliable, or consistent, enough

I was in Seville and aye it was roasting. Still doesn't explain why other players were able to run forward on the pitch whereas Barisic could only get the ball, stop dead, turn back and play a simple pass. That's a mentality issue and it's been a common occurrence this season.
Maybe lack of movement from the others up front?
Kent who he usually plays the ball up the line to...from what I saw was stiffled, and closed down, by at least 2 of the Frankfurt players.Possibly 3.
Which, if that is the case, should mean some of our players should have had a lot more space open to them.To make more telling passes.Which unfortunately they didn't capitalize upon.

I don't know.

Your opinion which I respect, but I think you are being harsh on a guy that has had a good career with us. So far.
You think he faked his injury, so he didn't have to take a penalty?
Wow.
Again your opinion.
But if that the case why didn't reappear for the Cup Final?
If he wasn't injured, then just declare himself fit.

'it’s clear to me he doesn’t have the mentality to play for Rangers'.

Sorry can't agree on this, and I doubt the player or the manager would either.
But it's all about opinions.

Your opinion which I respect, but I think you are being harsh on a guy that has had a good career with us. So far.
Wow.
Again your opinion.

He definitely has some issues with confidence but you’re perhaps being a tad harsh on him. He certainly wasn’t the only player who visibly shat their pants at the piggery. I won’t even name the others because I’ll no doubt get accosted but let’s just say they’re not bit part players, and they didn’t exactly step up and produce good displays in our recent cup finals either.

I think if he was worried about a penalty he’d just front up and tell Gio he’s not confident. I reckon any manager would appreciate that honesty rather than have a player filled with doubt, step up and miss.

Wow.
Again your opinion.

I hadn’t realized it was that often. Although I did wonder the same during the OF game.

He’s a very frustrating player. I had written him off after the piggery, but against Braga he was sensational and back in everyone’s thoughts because we saw what he could do. It came just at the right time as well.

However, as good as he can be he’s just not reliable, or consistent, enough
By the way check out this game at the Tattiedome.
Not that long ago.
Check out who applies both brilliant assists, and of course ...who scores the winner.
That day he was definitely up for MOTM.

Complete and utter unsubstantiated delusion

In fact, everything points to the opposite. The guys had no pre-season and has been in and out the side. He couldn’t finish ET against the Tims. Didn’t even make it to ET against 10 man Braga. Are you telling me he shat it out all of those games?

What we’re dealing with, in Borna’s case, is a player who has basically been injured since the Euros and was thrown into CL qualifiers. Since then, he has been pulled in and out the squad. Naturally he’s dropped some howlers, which people seem to assume is shitebaggery. My assumption is that he tries to play it safe.

If people want to get rid of him due to his injury record, that’s makes sense, but calling him a shitebag for not finishing ET? Did you see the Tims against us in the semi-final? Physical freaks like Bassey, Tav, Goldson and Kent have elevated our standards for conditioning to an astronomical and unrealistic height.

I think many people will be pleasantly surprised at big Niko.
Before his injury, and I think he had issues in his personal life with his family... the big guy had all the attributes in being a great defender.
Perhaps a full pre-season under will Gio will help re-discover his potential.

Wow.
Again your opinion.

By the way check out this game at the Tattiedome.
Not that long ago.
Check out who applies both brilliant assists, and of course ...who scores the winner.
That day he was definitely up for MOTM.

Braga extra time … goes off injured just before it.

SC semi vs Celtic extra time … goes off injured.

Europa final extra time … goes off injured.

Scottish cup final extra time … it’s wrapped up inside first 5 minutes & doesn’t go off.

That’s the outlier here, the fact you cannot see that is quite incredible. Especially in the Europa final there was 3 minutes left he could’ve taken a penalty as I highly doubt he was any less/more fit than Kemar Roofe who looked like he was being held up with electrical tape. It does suggest a weak mentality.

Barisic is easily replaced, if we got around £2m for him he’d be out the door & replaced pretty easily.

I think many people will be pleasantly surprised at big Niko.
Before his injury, and I think he had issues in his personal life with his family... the big guy had all the attributes in being a great defender.
Perhaps a full pre-season under will Gio will help re-discover his potential.
We must have been watching a different player. He can’t deal with crosses coming low from the left. His passing out of defence is poor. His defensive positioning was poor, caught under the ball a lot. These are key attributes if you want our team to be winning trophies and get to another European final.

If we want to progress Katic isn’t the solution. King is a much better prospect and retaining Katic just means we pay another wage for a player that just isn’t good enough.

We need a smaller squad of first team players of better quality supplemented with the excellent youth prospects we have. I want to see King and Lowry play 30 + games next season.

If we start next season with a defence of McLaughlin, Tav, Souttar, Katic and Barasic we have a much weaker defence.

Our defence cost us the league this season. We need to improve it.

Goal threat at corners/free kicks. He’s far better that any other defender we have at heading the ball. He makes Goldson seem like he has a head like a thruppeny bit.

I’m glad big Nico is getting a chance.
His scoring record isn't good for any of the clubs he's been with.

Wow.
Again your opinion.

Fair enough. Maybe I am being a bit harsh. However, I think my fundamental point remains. I don’t think he has the mentality to function well under pressure. We saw it at the piggery, and in the games that followed. His confidence was clearly shattered. I think it was evident in the EL final as well, albeit he wasn’t the only one to suffer nerves.

BTW him being a bit of a coward aside, defensively he gets caught out with the same thing over and over again.

A ball comes in from the right hand side and his body positioning is always wrong. He's never aware of any danger over his shoulder, is caught flat footed facing his own goal and it's cost us goals during his time with us. The Abada goal in the 3-0 game springs to mind and there was another quite recently where the same thing happened.

Scottish cup final extra time … it’s wrapped up inside first 5 minutes & doesn’t go off.

That’s the outlier here, the fact you cannot see that is quite incredible. Especially in the Europa final there was 3 minutes left he could’ve taken a penalty as I highly doubt he was any less/more fit than Kemar Roofe who looked like he was being held up with electrical tape. It does suggest a weak mentality.

Barisic is easily replaced, if we got around £2m for him he’d be out the door & replaced pretty easily.
He is been carrying an injury pretty much all of the season.

‘The fact you cannot see is quite incredible’
Really?

Your being highly selective with your facts.
In…my opinion.

If he goes off injured in extra time, in each of these games, proves to me at least that he is still carrying an injury.Of some sort.
Did he sub himself?
Surely that’s the manager’s decision?

‘I highly doubt he was less/more fit than Kemar Roofe’
Again just your opinion.
But he had just played 117 minutes in over100+degree heat!

‘Barasic is easily replaced’.
Again just your opinion.
Which you are quite entitled to.

Understand your point of view, but don’t agree with condemnation of a player who has done his best for the club.

Not that long ago he was getting touted as being a 20 million plus player.
Also …fact.

If Borna didnt want to hit a penalty surely he just wouldnt have put himself forward and said that. Seems a better option than faking an injury and missing the Scottish cup final as well.

Borna didn't play in the SCF. This is an utterly ludicrous narrative that is being spouted here.

TBF he didn't play in Scottish Cup Final.

If Borna didnt want to hit a penalty surely he just wouldnt have put himself forward and said that. Seems a better option than faking an injury and missing the Scottish cup final as well.
Of course he would have. I'm amazed that people actually dream this stuff up in their heads and not only believe it themselves, but share it with the rest of us.

Back