Niko Katic handed Rangers transfer lifeline as Borna Barisic faces summer waiting game

He is been carrying an injury pretty much all of the season.

‘The fact you cannot see is quite incredible’
Really?

Your being highly selective with your facts.
In…my opinion.

If he goes off injured in extra time, in each of these games, proves to me at least that he is still carrying an injury.Of some sort.
Did he sub himself?
Surely that’s the manager’s decision?

‘I highly doubt he was less/more fit than Kemar Roofe’
Again just your opinion.
But he had just played 117 minutes in over100+degree heat!

‘Barasic is easily replaced’.
Again just your opinion.
Which you are quite entitled to.

Understand your point of view, but don’t agree with condemnation of a player who has done his best for the club.

Not that long ago he was getting touted as being a 20 million plus player.
Also …fact.
£20m player in your head maybe aye.

Even at the peak of his powers there’s not a chance anyone was valuing him at that. Taking age, profile & the length of his contract into account.

For a start he came off against Braga but was somehow fit enough to play the following Sunday against Celtic.

Borna didn't play in the SCF. This is an utterly ludicrous narrative that is being spouted here.
My mistake. The other 3 are plain facts though.

Injury or not, he should’ve stayed on the park to take a penalty in the biggest match of his entire career.

Roofe came on with only one leg to take one.

Injury or not, he should’ve stayed on the park to take a penalty in the biggest match of his entire career.

No one is disputing he went off injured, you are suggesting that he feigned injury because he's a coward. It is utterly ludicrous.

He played very well v Braga and was up and down the wing all night. Why wouldn't he have been confident of hitting a penalty?

Wow!
You really don't like him?

From what I saw he made a last minute tackle that cleared the ball in our penalty box, before he was done.The guy could barely walk after that!
Never mind take a penalty.
Also a fact.

So from your jist, I am thinking, you are blaming him for us losing the final?
Because he wasn't available to take a penalty??

No one is disputing he went off injured, you are suggesting that he feigned injury because he's a coward. It is utterly ludicrous.

He played very well v Braga and was up and down the wing all night. Why wouldn't he have been confident of hitting a penalty?
21/22 - 40 games (league & Europe) - 3 assists, none of which are in Europe. 0 goals.

20/21 - 45 games - 11 assists, 6 league 5 Europe. 4 goals.

The amount of times he consistently looks to go backwards instead of taking on a man hampers our balance when you look at Tav on the right. Especially in the Europa final it was evident.

Can’t really answer that. I’d like to know what the injury was that meant he had to go off in injury time only to be fit against Celtic less than 72 hours later & go nearly 120 mins again

Wow!
You really don't like him?

From what I saw he made a last minute tackle that cleared the ball in our penalty box, before he was done.The guy could barely walk after that!
Never mind take a penalty.
Also a fact.

So from your jist, I am thinking, you are blaming him for us losing the final?
Because he wasn't available to take a penalty??
I think he had one terrific season in what’s been a relatively average Rangers career spanning 4 years.

I don’t blame any individual for us losing the final as far too many regulars were off the boil. Only Bassey & Davis got pass marks for me.

Goldson should’ve cleared the cross.

Scott Wright should’ve blocked the cross.

Gio should’ve never let a loan player take a penalty (don’t care who he is)

Kent has to score that sitter regardless of whether VAR chops it off or not.

Fair enough. Maybe I am being a bit harsh. However, I think my fundamental point remains. I don’t think he has the mentality to function well under pressure. We saw it at the piggery, and in the games that followed. His confidence was clearly shattered. I think it was evident in the EL final as well, albeit he wasn’t the only one to suffer nerves.
I think possibly nerves and extreme heat exhaustion for both sets of players, were to blame for the final being poor.I agree he has not had his best season, but neither of many others.I also believe this is due to him carrying an injury through the Euros, and through the season.

I think we have to agree to disagree on this mate.
It's all about opinions, but in the end only Gio's opinion is the one that really counts!

21/22 - 40 games (league & Europe) - 3 assists, none of which are in Europe. 0 goals.

20/21 - 45 games - 11 assists, 6 league 5 Europe. 4 goals.

The amount of times he consistently looks to go backwards instead of taking on a man hampers our balance when you look at Tav on the right. Especially in the Europa final it was evident.

Can’t really answer that. I’d like to know what the injury was that meant he had to go off in injury time only to be fit against Celtic less than 72 hours later & go nearly 120 mins again
No idea why his assist/goals stats are relevant here.

Players go off with minor niggles and recover in days all the time.

Not rating a player is fine. Accusing him of being a coward is just snide beyond belief, especially when the reasoning for it is this nonsense.

Not rating a player is fine. Accusing him of being a coward is just snide beyond belief, especially when the reasoning for it is this nonsense.
Well there’s others on here questioning why I don’t rate him and those stats back up what I am saying.

I think people forget how bad he was at the start of the season when he took about 10 games to play well & folk were questioning Bassey being thrown in. Then he shat the bed at the Piggery and got a reprieve. Peaks & troughs don’t even begin to describe his form this season & that lack of consistency and his age mean he’s all the player he’ll ever be.

I want someone more robust, more consistent in my team. End of story.

Well there’s others on here questioning why I don’t rate him and those stats back up what I am saying.

I think people forget how bad he was at the start of the season when he took about 10 games to play well & folk were questioning Bassey being thrown in. Then he shat the bed at the Piggery and got a reprieve. Peaks & troughs don’t even begin to describe his form this season & that lack of consistency and his age mean he’s all the player he’ll ever be.

I want someone more robust, more consistent in my team. End of story.
Again, this is all irrelevant.

You claimed he bottled out of taking a penalty.

That's what I was questioning.

Again, this is all irrelevant.

You claimed he bottled out of taking a penalty.

That's what I was questioning.
The same folk saying they can say for certain he had a minor injury & recovered are the same people who are saying he definitely didn’t bottle a penalty :))

Can’t pick & choose when to be selective I’m afraid.

The same folk saying they can say for certain he had a minor injury & recovered are the same people who are saying he definitely didn’t bottle a penalty :))

Can’t pick & choose when to be selective I’m afraid.
Aw jeez. He must have been really shiting himself against Braga because he came off 5 mins before we even got to ET.

Niko is still under contract as a Rangers’ player, he’s playing himself back into form out on loan after an injury - I don’t see any problem giving him a chance to prove himself back with Rangers during pre-season training and in friendly matches. Hope he does well.

I think he had one terrific season in what’s been a relatively average Rangers career spanning 4 years.

I don’t blame any individual for us losing the final as far too many regulars were off the boil. Only Bassey & Davis got pass marks for me.

Goldson should’ve cleared the cross.

Scott Wright should’ve blocked the cross.

Gio should’ve never let a loan player take a penalty (don’t care who he is)

Kent has to score that sitter regardless of whether VAR chops it off or not.
Fine.Margins.

He is been carrying an injury pretty much all of the season.

Not that long ago he was getting touted as being a 20 million plus player.
Also …fact.

What are you basing that on? He had an injury at the Euros yet people on here constantly say he's been injured all season when there's absolutely nothing from the club to back that up.

Also, anyone suggesting he was a £20m player hasn't got a clue about football. No full back playing in Scotland over the age of 28 is going for silly money like that. Absurd.

I'm sorry but if I'm playing in a European final and I know I'm one of the penalty takers, I'm staying on for the final few minutes no matter what.

Unless of course your bottle goes and you don't fancy it...

I'm sorry but if I'm playing in a European final and I know I'm one of the penalty takers, I'm staying on for the final few minutes no matter what.

Well if he bottled it and wasn't injured why did he not play on Saturday?

Katic needs to be moved on in the summer we've moved on as a side from when he was first brought in. Think his injury stopped him from being moved on in the summer of 2020. Watched some highlights of his games before the turn of the year and he was still making the same mistakes he was before his injury.

As for Borna it's probably time to move him on as well. Don't think Gerrard done him any favours by throwing him straight back in after struggling with injuries the whole of last summer which effected his performances. Bounced back well after his shambles of a performance at the Piggery in February but for me Bassey is the way forward if he remains at the club.

FFs gie's peace about his bottle going.
Tired of hearing this.

Total supposition on your part.
None of us would know until the time, what we would do.
Anyway I ...don't think it was his decision.

They guy could hardly walk, never mind take a penalty!

It's over.

Tav, Davis, Arfield were all probably burst as well.

Roofe also hadn’t played since 17th April yet still stepped up.
Out of the ones you mentioned.

Tav played whole game.Extra Time. and penalties.
Davis. If memory serves came on late in the game.
Arfield again came on for extra time.
And Roofe came on after not playing again, after the Semi Final.
For the last four minutes of extra time.

Also just for accuracy.
Barasic took an injury stopping one of their attacks in 107minute.
Went down holding the back of his leg. Possibly his hamstring.
Immediately.

Signalled at least twice if not three times to the bench he was struggling.Right after.
Eventually gets subbed, in 115th minute when he collapses to the floor, and is helped off with aid by the Rangers physios, and can hardly move a step.
He seems to want to carry on, but the main doctor is shaking his head.

As a result Roofe comes on for him as does Ramsey.
For deeply disappointed Sakala.

The rest they say ...is history.

I liked Katic and I thought he had some top games for us but we've moved on and need better now. Hopefully manage to get some sort of fee for him.

We need a bit of a clear out of guys like Katic, Simpson, Firth, Itten, Kelly.

I liked Katic and I thought he had some top games for us but we've moved on and need better now. Hopefully manage to get some sort of fee for him.

We need a bit of a clear out of guys like Katic, Simpson, Firth, Itten, Kelly.
Firth is completely different to the other players you’ve mentioned but his deals expiring anyway

Were you not trying to claim Lundstram bottled taking a penalty as well on another thread?

Nope, try harder.
So post 15 isn’t you then?:cool:

Last edited:
I don’t think he’s good enough despite the weird cult hero status he has amongst a lot of fans.

Can’t see him being here beyond the summer
I don't really get these weird "weird cult hero" comments.

He's big, strong, powerful, committed, snaps into challenges and absolute smashed the mockits with a dominant header.

Its hardly surprising such a player engenders plenty of support.

Yes he has rough edges and areas he needs to improve.

But the liking for Katic is incredibly, incredibly easy to understand.

So post 15 isn’t you then?:cool:

Keep reading...

I don't really get these weird "weird cult hero" comments.

He's big, strong, powerful, committed, snaps into challenges and absolute smashed the mockits with a dominant header.

Its hardly surprising such a player engenders plenty of support.

Yes he has rough edges and areas he needs to improve.

But the liking for Katic is incredibly, incredibly easy to understand.
But hes shite so it mitigates a lot of what people like about him so imo it’s buzzard he has cult hero like status

I know that you ended up being corrected and you admitted you were wrong, but my point was you keep claiming players bottled taking penalties with nothing substantial to back it up. Borna was injured, he didn’t bottle it

Borna might not have bottled taking a pen, but he bottled the match with his performance. Same with Malmo at home, same with Celtic away.

Back