Niko Katic Injured In Training - Likely To Be Out For ‘Foreseeable Future’

Fook.

Hope he makes a fully, speedy recovery. He'll be shattered I'm sure :(

We should have enough to cope, but I wouldn't be against seeing a new CB come in.

Hope its pish - for the guys sake - from a team perspective its not like losing Mcgregor, Borna, Tav or Morelos. He is replaceable fairly comfortably with Helander/Ed.

Bassey Mayo and McCrorie in reserve for Goldson Helander and Edmundson

Think mayo will get his chance In friendlys and in August to make his claim for 4th choice. If he isn’t ready then we will get a loan in August . We still need to keep any money for RW, centre mid and striker

heard the point about him bulking up making injury more likely and it’s an interesting one. I’m no medical expert but I feel there’s a reason most footballers don’t bulk up to the level he seems to have got himself to . Maybe some truth

Just when you think things are going well? Hopefully the big man is back quicker than is being speculated.

Keep the faith Niko!

Bassey Mayo and McCrorie in reserve for Goldson Helander and Edmundson

bassey should only be considered as competition to borna . We need to go into next season with 4 players competing for the 2 places. Not one player who can play somewhere else like him at left back but could play there in a emergency . For me either mayo is ready or we sign/loan someone and let bassey focus on getting borna’s shirt. As for McCrorie for me he’s a cdm and should be no where near cb and gerrard has said as much

Think mayo will get his chance In friendlys and in August to make his claim for 4th choice. If he isn’t ready then we will get a loan in August . We still need to keep any money for RW, centre mid and striker

heard the point about him bulking up making injury more likely and it’s an interesting one. I’m no medical expert but I feel there’s a reason most footballers don’t bulk up to the level he seems to have got himself to . Maybe some truth
The amount of muscle he'd have put on would be negligible. We aren't talking about a guy putting on 20-30 pounds of lean mass. It would be a fraction of that, it's just one of these things sadly. Hope the big man recovers quickly.

Bassey isn’t tall enough for a CD role under this regime . This was said of Ross McCrorie too .

SG likes them 6’3” plus

Deserves much better luck than this the big man gutted for him hopefully he can take his time do all the right things and come back better than ever i am sure he will .

Really bad news but you'd like to think we have cover with goldson, helander, Edmunson and mccrorie.

Glad you came on and told us this. From what I remember with durrant and mols, I'm sure we all knew they were going to be out for a long time and the scans just confirmed it.
I've done left knee and right ankle. Clearly, we won't get the kind of treatment footballers will (not a slight on the nhs at all). On both occasions I was told its likely ligament damage but it cannot be confirmed immediately even though its likely. Ankle was more obvious

Feel sorry for Katic, hope he recovers quick without any complications. He’s such a big threat from corners and free kicks, also he would run through a brick wall if it meant he’d get the ball. I think Gerrard will get a CB on loan, I don’t see us buying one
A loan that’d be fourth choice at best?
I think that’d have to be a Hill/McAuley type.
Personally, I’d wait and see how Mayo and even Bassey come through.

Cruciate is a long recovery. Best wishes to Katic.

Thinking ahead I’d be looking to bring in another CB. Maybe a free agents, experienced to help nurture and guide the others.

Goldson is Gerrard’s first pick and Helander was playing well but feel we need cover.

The amount of muscle he'd have put on would be negligible. We aren't talking about a guy putting on 20-30 pounds of lean mass. It would be a fraction of that, it's just one of these things sadly. Hope the big man recovers quickly.
I disagree with the point anyway as the stronger the quad and hamstring muscles are the less likely (not impossible obvs) ligament tears in the knee are as an ACL injury is caused when the bottom half of the leg twists in a completely different direction from the top half. (Very common in gymnastics vaulting)

Gutted for him and our support.

However turning to going forward......this now leaves an opportunity for someone to cement themselves into that team next to Goldson as we know he wont be dropped.

Gutted for Big Niko.

Need a replacement now.. I've seen people mentioning Mayo and McCrorie.. come on people next year is huge we need ready made quality to get us through

McCrorie is never a CB too.

He may have done his crucifer but noo e knows how long he will be out until the surgery had been carried out.
Thank you. That was the point of my first post on this, there is zero way of knowing until any surgery has been completed. What may be feared as 9 months might be 3 or might be 12. How did it happen, what other damage is there to muscle, cartilage etc.

I've done left knee and right ankle. Clearly, we won't get the kind of treatment footballers will (not a slight on the nhs at all). On both occasions I was told its likely ligament damage but it cannot be confirmed immediately even though its likely. Ankle was more obvious
That sounds about right to me. From what I remember, they said more or less the same at the time, was just a matter of it being confirmed.

The mols one gutted me. Between his injury and playing Bayern off the park that night it was a sickener. Wish he'd just thrown himself in the air that night and maybe a red card would have been produced for the keeper, but he tried to do the right thing and suffered for it.

Gutted for the big man.

I have never known a club who has endured as many knee ligament injuries as we have.

Kuznetov, Klos, Durrant, Charbonnier, Thomson, Prodan, Wright, Naismith, Mols, Ball, Klos, Murphy, Krancjar, Rozenthal, Andrews etc etc etc

It’s unbelievable.

The 2 would have been helander and goldson.
Edmunson is now on the bench.
I dont see a big problem at the moment.
Thats what the academy is for.

I'd go for Cedric Kipre. He's same age as Niko and playing well at Wigan. He was good for Motherwell too but has improved. Wigan are in the shit so move now and get him in. Afraid to say Edmundson has not convinced me thus far and he's an injury away from starting a lot of games.

I'd go for Cedric Kipre. He's same age as Niko and playing well at Wigan. He was good for Motherwell too but has improved. Wigan are in the shit so move now and get him in. Afraid to say Edmundson has not convinced me thus far and he's an injury away from starting a lot of games.

Wasn't Kipre a bomb scare up here?

Wasn't Kipre a bomb scare up here?

No he was decent, a bit of a thug right enough. He earned a near million pound move to Wigan. Too good for Motherwell.

My second option would be Van Der Hoorn on a Bosman. Whether he'd want to come here and fight for a start I don't know, but a good player and in prime age. Experienced too.

By the way, if we’re being realistic he was never going to be a regular starter again. But it’s still a huge blow to lose defensive cover, particular when the cover is probably as good as at least one of the starters.
I don’t know about ‘again’. I believe it was always Gerrard's intention to start with Goldson & Helander, but the later still has to prove himself IMO and Katic brings a proven threat at corners. So I think this is potentially a big blow if the defense don’t hit the ground running or another injury hits us.

I know he has a bit to learn but for me Katic has the ability to be the best CH on the books. He’s young and still has bags of potential.

Back