Niko Katic Injured In Training - Likely To Be Out For ‘Foreseeable Future’

I think we need to replace with someone to push as a realistic option as a starter. Katic was third choice and played plenty of games and big George hasn't totally convinced. I'd be worried if George was playing 15- 20 matches next season

I don’t know about ‘again’. I believe it was always Gerrard's intention to start with Goldson & Helander, but the later still has to prove himself IMO and Katic brings a proven threat at corners. So I think this is potentially a big blow if the defense don’t hit the ground running or another injury hits us.

I know he has a bit to learn but for me Katic has the ability to be the best CH on the books. He’s young and still has bags of potential.

For me it’s Goldson who has it all to prove, Helander looks a better defender than him. But Goldson is his number 1, and that will not change regardless of results or performances, that much is clear.

sad news, hopefully a speedy recovery for the big man. Will need to find myself a new first goal scorer now. We have to bring another centre half in now.

Hopefully the big fella will recover quickly and fully. We don't seem to have much luck when it comes to this particular injury. Probably just because it's our club and we are more aware but I can't help thinking that we must be top of the serious knee injury league table.

Terrible news, at least is still young enough to make a quick, full recovery. If it is a cruciate then perhaps he can get back in time to help lift the title trophy in May.

Hopefully big Calvin can hit the ground running and prove a back up at centre half as well as LB if required. We still have Edmundson as back up also, hopefully a bit more confident and settled in his 2nd year now.

Really shit start to the season.

Can't help thinking that we will see more of this kind of thing across the board (all clubs) with players being away from peak training for so long.

There's a huge difference between match fitness and match sharpness.

Feel terrible for the big chap

His application is second to none and for something like this to derail that is just horrible

He's a terrific prospect and certainly has the height and physique to cope.
Very good on the ball too.

He only played a few games at Thistle due to the lockdown, but absolutely strolled it.

I also saw him when I went down to Mansfield for the pre season friendly at the start of last season.

He was up against a couple of typically physical English League 1/2 strikers and handled them no problem.

Time will tell if he can make the step up, but I think he could.
Few family members who follow Thistle and they were absolutely raving about him.

Same thing happened with Jamie Murphy on that pile of shite at Kilmarnock

I’ve literally just watched the highlights of that game - perfect Morelos hat trick - and he actually gets into a tangle with that big fanny Broadfoot.

He's a terrific prospect and certainly has the height and physique to cope.
Very good on the ball too.

He only played a few games at Thistle due to the lockdown, but absolutely strolled it.

I also saw him when I went down to Mansfield for the pre season friendly at the start of last season.

He was up against a couple of typically physical English League 1/2 strikers and handled them no problem.

Time will tell if he can make the step up, but I think he could.

He could have all those attributes and a few more, but Gerrard’s far too risk averse to trust a young homegrown boy with that position just now.

All it takes is for helander or goldson to get injured or suspended then we are short in defence, might be a loan or free we get as back up

Terrible news for the Niko Katic. Edmundson will be your automatic 3rd choice and Lewis Mayo should be he 4th choice.

Bassey should compete for the left back role and be used as a CH only if absolutely necessary.

Time for Edmundson to step up - but wouldn’t be surprised if a loan player comes in so that there more cover

I don’t know about ‘again’. I believe it was always Gerrard's intention to start with Goldson & Helander, but the later still has to prove himself IMO and Katic brings a proven threat at corners. So I think this is potentially a big blow if the defense don’t hit the ground running or another injury hits us.

I know he has a bit to learn but for me Katic has the ability to be the best CH on the books. He’s young and still has bags of potential.
I would even say goldson still has to prove himself also

Sickening.

IMO we need to get a replacement as Katic is likely to miss the entire season. All of our centre backs have been up & down so far, so we needed one anyway - even a dreaded loan signing

Bassey & Mayo may well be very good prospects but we simply cannot afford to take a chance this season & I think McCrorie is likely to go on loan again.

All it takes is for helander or goldson to get injured or suspended then we are short in defence, might be a loan or free we get as back up

You could say that about the mentally challengeds too mate.

They've got Julien and the error prone Ajer and then who?

We at least have Edmundson, who's already been blooded in the 1st team, including an outstanding performance in Braga.

Bassey & Mayo may well be very good prospects but we simply cannot afford to take a chance this season & I think McCrorie is likely to go on loan again.

We can’t afford to take a chance on our fourth choice centre mid given the pressure on us to get ten in a row, too big a season.

A loan that’d be fourth choice at best?
I think that’d have to be a Hill/McAuley type.
Personally, I’d wait and see how Mayo and even Bassey come through.

I think the Hill/McAuley type is exactly what he’ll go out and get, someone with experience and willing to sit on the bench, basically someone towards the end of their careers. If Bassey fills in at CB and gets injured, then we are really short for cover at LB, which could be another reason why Gerrard could go for a low risk loan

Feel so sorry for Niko he must have worked his nuts off to come back in that shape.
Speedy Recovery big fella.

We must be the unluckiest team in Europe when it comes to cruciate injuries . Durrant, kuznetzov, Rozenthal, Mols, the list is endless and it never seems to affect any other teams . If katic is out that’s a massive blow .

I'm of the opinion Durrant's was not a run-of-the-mill football injury. That was something else again.

Might want to rephrase this!

You know what I mean, there’s some who’d only keep auchenhowie so we’ve got something to punt to sponsors.

Think if you go by 80+ appearances (so roughly two seasons worth of games) the only players from our academy through are Barry, Shagger, and Barrie McKay. Twenty five years worth.

You know what I mean, there’s some who’d only keep auchenhowie so we’ve got something to punt to sponsors.

Think if you go by 80+ appearances (so roughly two seasons worth of games) the only players from our academy through are Barry, Shagger, and Barrie McKay. Twenty five years worth.

Was a joke as you've accidentally wrote we "the pressure on us to get ten".

For me it’s Goldson who has it all to prove, Helander looks a better defender than him. But Goldson is his number 1, and that will not change regardless of results or performances, that much is clear.
Disagree totally , if performances and results don’t go right players get dropped!!

I'd go for Cedric Kipre. He's same age as Niko and playing well at Wigan. He was good for Motherwell too but has improved. Wigan are in the shit so move now and get him in. Afraid to say Edmundson has not convinced me thus far and he's an injury away from starting a lot of games.
Not a footballer, just a dirty bastard. I think he's the reason Jack can't hit the heights for a sustained period.
“I thought it was a shocking tackle, to be honest. There is no point me sitting and saying I thought it was a good challenge or an unlucky challenge, I thought he waited until I got the ball and then he knew he had a chance to hurt me and he did.
I’ve watched it back and every time I saw it it’s not nice. It’s never nice to watch back and see yourself get injured.”

Kipre and Beaton, of course, who played on. Then bloody Murty with his stupid comments rubbed salt into the wound.
Not Kipre, no way.

Gutted for Katic and wish him well but there’s no way he was going to be a key player or a regular starter going in to next season.

I actually thought Katic would be leaving this summer in all honesty.

I suppose this is a good chance for Lewis Mayo to step up but I’d say we’d be much better looking at getting someone in, at least on loan, to make up for losing a player with significantly more first team experience than him.

Last edited:
What evidence was there of Pedro being a disaster when he arrived? Calling total bullshit on that one. Yes he wasn't a success but he was a totally unknown quantity. Then again if the source of info is a bheast they are experts on taxes, employment law, and now seemingly middle eastern club football.

Rumours that I never understood the league/expectations of the club. Rumours that training wasn’t of the required standard/set-up, rumours that he brought in players that were “wasters”

All pie in the sky rumours at the time which turned out to be correct (based on the recent podcasts by Wes, Clint Hill, Halliday and Miller)

With all respect to Katic, I’m not sure we will be overly pressed for someone to cover whilst he nurses his injury. Edmundson as 3rd choice, Bassey could slot in, Mayo and others in the youth sides could step up

Suspensions and injuries will kick in over the season.
We need to get another CB even on loan.
Not convinced by Edmundson whilst Bassey and Mayo have never played a Competitive fight first team game.
Would you feel confident going to Parkhead or tough European game without Goldson or Hellander

Allan Hutton and Charlie Adam?
Chris Burke? Stevie Smith?

Charlie Adam? Danny Wilson? Andy Little?

Auchenhowie was never a youth academy. It's a training facility.

It now finally has enough attention put towards youth that were beginning to see a return from it.

Blame Walter, McLeish and McCoist for having no interesting in youth rather than the facility.

This is a real blow for us. Cruciate Injuries are so damaging to a footballers career. Just look at Murphy. I hope he gets a speedy recovery.

This is a real blow for us. Cruciate Injuries are so damaging to a footballers career. Just look at Murphy. I hope he gets a speedy recovery.

I don’t know any player who’s had a cruciate and came back as good as he was before it . We’ve had Kuznetzov , Durrant , Mols, Rozenthal , Prodan , Murphy and now Katic . I’m sure there are more . Ask any of them now if they felt curtailed by it badly and they will all admit it . Katic career now won’t be what it could have been and that is soul destroying in itself . We are so unlucky you could not make it up .

Back