Niko Katic update - played full match tod

ChildOfGoth

Part of a back four he played full 90 mins right CD , he has missed a game or two but back in today . An earlier game I seen highlights of he played centre CD in a three not sure if this is a new way or was a one-off . Hajduk have a new manager in since he went in summer a Lithuanian guy and it sounds like team form overall has been better but I’m sure some posters will know far better than I .

anyway today was a big win on an uneven looking surface I must add , 2 nil win at Dinamo Zagreb is impressive for any team I would say as they are a good quality team .

anyway well done NK and let’s hope he gets more games in that right CD role and gets better and better .

Part of a back four he played full 90 mins right CD , he has missed a game or two but back in today . An earlier game I seen highlights of he played centre CD in a three not sure if this is a new way or was a one-off . Hajduk have a new manager in since he went in summer a Lithuanian guy and it sounds like team form overall has been better but I’m sure some posters will know far better than I .

anyway today was a big win on an uneven looking surface I must add , 2 nil win at Dinamo Zagreb is impressive for any team I would say as they are a good quality team .

anyway well done NK and let’s hope he gets more games in that right CD role and gets better and better .

Thanks D.

Maybe the move back home was for his mental health, I can’t see that it wouldn’t be better for him to playing in the uk if we could have got him a club

They are very trigger happy with their managers. I'm sure they have had about 6 in 3 seasons. They are a very inconsistent team.

Thanks for the positive post.
But it will never catch on.

The likes of Bert Konterman and Joey Garner have also scored against Celtic, are they now suddenly world-beaters?
Steady Big Bert was an internationalist and scored a goal that I can still vision it was a thing of beauty.
Big Berty wasn’t that bad imo and got tore in, Katic was very good before injury and we were all swooning at his fitness levels as he tried to recover.

I wouldn’t write him off just yet and don’t compare him to big berty he will ever be a legend for that screamer :)

Zero relevance.

But explains why some folk still think he is good enough for Rangers.
He was good for getting his head on crosses in our own box too. Something we've been a shambles at this season, albeit a bit better in recent matches.

OK I agree, he's not a ideal longer term (unless there's massive improvments) but I'd welcome the big man back over Simpson every day of the week. He's also likely made less mistakes in his time in a Rangers shirt than Goldson has this season alone.

I think you have intentionally created Hype€bole mate that’s not what is being posted

Exactly.

Whether Niko proves good enough for us or not, and there are serious questions about that, I’m delighted he’s getting game time & he’s hopefully getting over his serious injury.

Great big guy & a warrior, whether he’s going to make it with us or not.

I still expect him back next season and looked at preseason before any decisions are made either way

We are going to need CB options one way or another next season I expect us to have a decent look at him

Steady Big Bert was an internationalist and scored a goal that I can still vision it was a thing of beauty.
Big Berty wasn’t that bad imo and got tore in, Katic was very good before injury and we were all swooning at his fitness levels as he tried to recover.

I wouldn’t write him off just yet and don’t compare him to big berty he will ever be a legend for that screamer :)

Konterman had a nightmare first few months at centre half, but afterward was pretty solid when called on as a defensive mid. Nowhere near as bad as some make out, it's a habit of many in our support to exaggerate both the good and bad in players, imo.

Niko might still have a shout if he finishes the season strongly over there.

We need to be realistic about the level of player who would be willing to be 3rd of 4th choice. If someone is a good enough player they would want to be at a club where they are 1st choice.

We need to accept that when your get to 3rd and 4th choice for a position the players wont be as good as 1st and 2nd choice.

Reactions: VGM
He's 25 and missed a year with injury that he needs to catch up on, he's neither a world beater nor should be written off. Lets get him back and reassess compared with what options we have but I'd be happy enough to give him a chance to cement a place.

In a strange coincidence, before this weekend, the last games Itten and Katic had played in for their respective loan clubs, both games ended 6-3

I watched the first half of the game and it looked more like they played 3 at the back. He never had much to do but an impressive away win regardless.

Hopefully the big man can kick on.

Love big Katic. Scored against them and went mental. Legend. Up there with Konterman.

He was good for getting his head on crosses in our own box too. Something we've been a shambles at this season, albeit a bit better in recent matches.

OK I agree, he's not a ideal longer term (unless there's massive improvments) but I'd welcome the big man back over Simpson every day of the week. He's also likely made less mistakes in his time in a Rangers shirt than Goldson has this season alone.
Would watch the St Johnstone, Killie and Livingston games back prior to his injury and he probably has made more mistakes than Goldson.

Simpson shouldn't be a marker to whether Katic is good enough for us or not either. Prior to his injury he was playing poorly and cost us points and was eventually dropped for Edmundson. That doesn't say much now that Edmundson is away and playing in league one but his injury for me saved him from being sold that summer.

Katic is a decent defender but no more than that and his goal against them seems to cloud the opinions of him.

Setting aside your post in general Why shouldn’t the fact that a Rangers player found the desire and talent to score a winner in a critical OF game reflect well on them - that surely means a lot to any Rangers man .

Would watch the St Johnstone, Killie and Livingston games back prior to his injury and he probably has made more mistakes than Goldson.

Simpson shouldn't be a marker to whether Katic is good enough for us or not either. Prior to his injury he was playing poorly and cost us points and was eventually dropped for Edmundson. That doesn't say much now that Edmundson is away and playing in league one but his injury for me saved him from being sold that summer.

Katic is a decent defender but no more than that and his goal against them seems to cloud the opinions of him.
Wasn't there some issue regarding personal issues just before then too though? I could be wrong as my memory's shit but IIRC his father was ill & when he returned from that time off is when he started messing up more.

Regardless, my point is that as it stands we're short at CB & if he can get up to speed & learn a trick or 2 while away then it wouldn't be that bad to see how he does. As I said, he's an aerial threat in either box & we've been crap for the most part in that area recently. We'll also be needing several CB's come the summer anyway.

Setting aside your post in general Why shouldn’t the fact that a Rangers player found the desire and talent to score a winner in a critical OF game reflect well on them - that surely means a lot to any Rangers man .
Its not indicative in anyway of his ability though, completely irrelevant when we’re discussing his capability of playing centre half for Rangers long term.

Plenty of poor players have scored in OF’s.

I have been much more impressed with Bassey in all honesty. Hasn’t played as many games, or as many big ones, so its early days. But he possesses qualitys that Katic does not at CB.

Its not indicative in anyway of his ability though, completely irrelevant when we’re discussing his capability of playing centre half for Rangers long term.

Plenty of poor players have scored in OF’s.

I have been much more impressed with Bassey in all honesty. Hasn’t played as many games, or as many big ones, so its early days. But he possesses qualitys that Katic does not at CB.
Lol how many games has Bassey had at CB? 3? & one of them was an absolute howler. I love the big man & think he's did well against Hibs & Dundee but reel it in a bit ffs B-)

Wasn't there some issue regarding personal issues just before then too though? I could be wrong as my memory's shit but IIRC his father was ill & when he returned from that time off is when he started messing up more.

Regardless, my point is that as it stands we're short at CB & if he can get up to speed & learn a trick or 2 while away then it wouldn't be that bad to see how he does. As I said, he's an aerial threat in either box & we've been crap for the most part in that area recently. We'll also be needing several CB's come the summer anyway.
You could possibly be right it does ring a bell when you mention it.

I will say from the highlights I've saw of his matches he's still making the same mistakes he did when he was here. Was a game against his old side I think it was he was moved into a holding midfield role after selling the first goal. He had been dropped the last 2 games as mentioned in the OP and the game before that he sold both goals.

We will need centre backs but with Goldson likely going we need one to come into replace him of similar quality. Balogun is a squad player that role could be taken on by Lewis Mayo if he continues to perform at Thistle. I just think this team has now moved on from Katic and i hope Wilson is looking to get an answer from Hadjuk on whether they're going to make it permanent so we can use that £3m to reinvest in another player.

How many Rangers players have scored a winner at Celtic park in OF game in the last I don’t know let’s say 30 years then and who were they ?
Not for me to tag that piece of play as of no consequence , it did not happen by accident . And let’s not forget he actually played the game too lol

Last edited:
The rush to write Katic off is quite bizarre. He may not be a world beater, but he is a decent young CB, who will not reach his peak for another 5 or 6 years.
I really wish some of our fans would simply support our young players with potential and stop writing them off.
They are young guys.
Developing and improving.
We can’t expect the finished article.
There’s been so many in here slating Bassey in the past and look at him now with a run of games.
One important thing I like is both Bassey and Katic have a great attitude and want to be a success at Rangers!

I really wish some of our fans would simply support our young players with potential and stop writing them off.
They are young guys.
Developing and improving.
We can’t expect the finished article.
There’s been so many in here slating Bassey in the past and look at him now with a run of games.
One important thing I like is both Bassey and Katic have a great attitude and want to be a success at Rangers!
Correct , how can a thread about the progress of players become an opportunity to erode there confidence and reputation by posters ?
Denouncing them at each opportunity is not for me and not for Rangers imo

You could possibly be right it does ring a bell when you mention it.

I will say from the highlights I've saw of his matches he's still making the same mistakes he did when he was here. Was a game against his old side I think it was he was moved into a holding midfield role after selling the first goal. He had been dropped the last 2 games as mentioned in the OP and the game before that he sold both goals.

We will need centre backs but with Goldson likely going we need one to come into replace him of similar quality. Balogun is a squad player that role could be taken on by Lewis Mayo if he continues to perform at Thistle. I just think this team has now moved on from Katic and i hope Wilson is looking to get an answer from Hadjuk on whether they're going to make it permanent so we can use that £3m to reinvest in another player.
If we can get a few mill then couldn't complain too much I suppose but that position's giving me the fear if Helander can't be relied on to stay fit. Now Balogun's out too & he's hardly a spring chicken. He'll maybe come back & do a Sir David of Weir & play for another decade right enough but time will tell. Veering off topic but isn't his contract up in the summer too? Aaaw I'm away for a can of juice...

I would have to agree with everything you have said. He is certainly not the worst and at no time did he give less than 100%. Okay, he may not turn out to be good enough in the long term, but hypothetically speaking, barring his injury, and we had Balogun and Helander out injured, he would be a stick on to be in the team in front of Simpson

The rush to write Katic off is quite bizarre. He may not be a world beater, but he is a decent young CB, who will not reach his peak for another 5 or 6 years.

It's mental. Helander gets better and better the longer he doesn't play but Katic, who is actually playing at a level that is easily as good as our league is relentlessly ripped to bits.

Back