Niko Katic update - played full match tod

The rush to write Katic off is quite bizarre. He may not be a world beater, but he is a decent young CB, who will not reach his peak for another 5 or 6 years.
Dont understand it to be honest. I dont think he was anywhere near as bad as some seem to think. Put it this way, he didnt make as many mistakes in his time with us as Goldson has made since the start of this season. He isnt Richard gough by any means but i reckon he could turn out pretty decent.

Lol how many games has Bassey had at CB? 3? & one of them was an absolute howler. I love the big man & think he's did well against Hibs & Dundee but reel it in a bit ffs B-)
4 games, and none of them have been howlers. In facf we’ve been better defensively in they 4 games than any other game this season. By a distance. Lowest xG conceded too.

Katic will never be as confident and competent as Bassey on the ball, bringing it out of defence or passing between the line. That is a certainty. He also does not have the acceleration or pace that Bassey has.

You then have to compare them defensively. Positionally, aerially, decision making, tactical discipline, and so on.

I already said its early days for Bassey, but he possesses some attributes that a modern day CB needs to go far. Katic does not.

Bassey may not be good enough long term either, but we’ll need to wait and find out. We already know Katic isn’t.

If we can get a few mill then couldn't complain too much I suppose but that position's giving me the fear if Helander can't be relied on to stay fit. Now Balogun's out too & he's hardly a spring chicken. He'll maybe come back & do a Sir David of Weir & play for another decade right enough but time will tell. Veering off topic but isn't his contract up in the summer too? Aaaw I'm away for a can of juice...
Yeah he is out of contract and wants to finish his career in Germany so I suspect Balogun will be away at the end of the season. Be looking for at least 2 centre backs in the summer.

Yeah he is out of contract and wants to finish his career in Germany so I suspect Balogun will be away at the end of the season. Be looking for at least 2 centre backs in the summer.
If that's the case then I'd be fine with replacing Balogun with Souttar. Wouldn't want them both with their injury records, but one or the other is fine and we need to start getting the HG players up. Get a solid replacement for Goldson, maybe Mayo can take Simpson or Katic place if not then probably a third will be needed.

IMO Katic is a far better defender than Simpson and seems to enjoy the physical battles as every decent defender should, and if there's a cross coming near him in the box he's going to attack it and not leave it for someone else. Where's he's not so good is his reading of the game and use of the ball. I came up for a game just before he got injured and it seemed like McGregor didn't want to give it out short to him.

Steady Big Bert was an internationalist and scored a goal that I can still vision it was a thing of beauty.
Big Berty wasn’t that bad imo and got tore in, Katic was very good before injury and we were all swooning at his fitness levels as he tried to recover.

I wouldn’t write him off just yet and don’t compare him to big berty he will ever be a legend for that screamer :)

One thing Konterman absolutely did not do, was get tore in!

Lol how many games has Bassey had at CB? 3? & one of them was an absolute howler. I love the big man & think he's did well against Hibs & Dundee but reel it in a bit ffs B-)

Exactly, has Bassey ever had a game at CB like Katic against Legia at Ibrox or at the piggery?

Bassey looks a very good prospect and the guy might be right about him having attributes that Katic does not. However Katic also has attributes that Bassey doesn't possess.

4 games, and none of them have been howlers. In facf we’ve been better defensively in they 4 games than any other game this season. By a distance. Lowest xG conceded too.

Katic will never be as confident and competent as Bassey on the ball, bringing it out of defence or passing between the line. That is a certainty. He also does not have the acceleration or pace that Bassey has.

You then have to compare them defensively. Positionally, aerially, decision making, tactical discipline, and so on.

I already said its early days for Bassey, but he possesses some attributes that a modern day CB needs to go far. Katic does not.

Bassey may not be good enough long term either, but we’ll need to wait and find out. We already know Katic isn’t.
You're being a bit disingenuous here. The back line has been better mostly due to our fullbacks not bombing forward constantly & leaving us so exposed as well as everyone not being as error prone.

As I said, he's done well recently but to say he hasn't had a howler is nonsense. His first showing at CB was an absolute nightmare, hence why we all had the fear when we were forced to use him there.

Granted it's early days & he's got a load of potential, as well as looking more composed in the small amount of games he's had at CB so I have got high hopes for him & could be great down the line but we're still not great with cross balls into the box & that's where Katic was immense. To be so glowing about Bassey after such a small amount of time there & slating Katic with the same fervour doesn't really make sense after Niko's showed to be capable in his earlier games with us, especially in Europe. Our defence was basically how we did so well when Gerrard first came in in those games.

Btw, I never said Katic was a long term solution. I'm just saying he deserves more credit than what he's getting from many on here & could easily still do us a turn this season if he came back in January.

All that said, if Hadjuk take him for a few million & we can reinvest I wouldn't be upset.

I don't think he's going to be a part of things moving forward I think there will be big changes at centre back over the next month I think Goldson, Simpson and Katic will be moved in and Gio will bring in two new players freshen things up

Dont understand it to be honest. I dont think he was anywhere near as bad as some seem to think. Put it this way, he didnt make as many mistakes in his time with us as Goldson has made since the start of this season. He isnt Richard gough by any means but i reckon he could turn out pretty decent.
Must be selective memory loss here. I remember Katic making 3 terrible mistakes in one game alone (Ross County iirc). He makes way more mistakes than Goldson and Goldson has to talk him through every game.

Must be selective memory loss here. I remember Katic making 3 terrible mistakes in one game alone (Ross County iirc). He makes way more mistakes than Goldson and Goldson has to talk him through every game. you mustve been watching the games with youre eyes shut this season. Goldson has made mistakes in every single game this season, bar none.

Must be selective memory loss here. I remember Katic making 3 terrible mistakes in one game alone (Ross County iirc). He makes way more mistakes than Goldson and Goldson has to talk him through every game.
What have you been watching this season? Every single game Goldson makes at least one mistake.

Would that not be the case with most young CB's though?

What have you been watching this season? Every single game Goldson makes at least one mistake.
Goldson was part of a record breaking defence last season. Katic is levels below him unfortunately. He won't be back.

Back