Niko Katic

He’s a young man who in my humble opinion is being managed very well

He has time on his side & if we are patient then he will be the mainstay for us for a long time

Correct.

I don’t think for a second that Katic was brought here with the idea of being first choice for this season.

He would score 8-10 a season imo
There is an argument every time we discuss Tavernier where one side of the debate insists he should be a good defender first and foremost.
That chain of thought would suggest what he can contribute in attack is not the priority.

Just as good as Goldson and better than Worrall & McAuley.

Don’t @ me.

This is my opinion also. Possibly slightly harsh on McAuley as I feel he is similar level. Joe Worrall is a poor player though. Admittedly he had a very good game against Celtic. But so did Rob Kiernan once.....

Even with the “genuinely” thrown in your post is still “genuinely” fucken mental
What's mental about it?

Both of them can be good in the tackle when they want to be and both are brutal at virtually everything else.

I thought Worrall was very poor again today FWIW.

I thought he was too, but wasn’t helped by Flanagan next to him.

Katic can be a bit too keen to dive in at times, but on today’s showing deserves another go in the side. He’s certainly the biggest threat we have from set pieces.

The way Goldson and Worrall played against Celtic must mean they have the jerseys next time.

Respectfully disagree.

Godson and Worrall I don’t think will have an easier game that being up against an 18 year old in the last old firm game.Add in the fact that Halliday and Tavernier both did their jobs well and stopped any real threat down the wings and it really was an easy 90 odd minutes for our center backs.

Katic offers more of a goal threat than any of the others and if we can get him back to where him and Golson were at the beginning of the season…(almost impregnable) then those two would be my choice as well for defensive center back pairing.

I personally didn’t think they had a lot to do due to the way we pressed them. That said they did play well although I’m not totally convinced by Worrall in general.

As has been said Goldson is an automatic pick and of the other three I’d have McAulay.

Agreed right up until you said McAuley.

Katic for me. Much more mobile, better with the ball at his feet and more of a threat in the box.

Worrall for me is still all over the place. He stepped up in the Old Firm match but he would be my fourth choice Centre back and I would give Katic a run now. Barisic at Left back, Tav Right back and Goldson and Katic. More important no more rotation unless injury's. Let this four build something.

I still think it was ridiculous that whilst he was on form he got dropped for Worrall.

He was injured on international duty. People keep ignoring this.

He was also responsible for their 2nd today as his positioning was all wrong and a simple long ball saw him miss a header to clear.

I like parts of his game but the clamour to put him in the team ignores all his faults / other issues

I still think it was ridiculous that whilst he was on form he got dropped for Worrall.

I just wonder if SG was playing smart here. He knew the terms of the JW loan and perhaps he had to play him a certain number of times so that he couldn't be recalled after 7 January thereby keeping him as an option for the remainder of the season.
May well be wrong !

I'm just relieved that we have 4 good options at centre half now after some of the shite we've watched playing there in recent seasons.

One thing I noticed today was Worrall is a leader back there, constantly shouting and organising that defence

Love this boy........He will be a great player for us. He will get his chance. He loves it here i get the feeling. Lets see him and Goldson be the wall at the back.

We have four very good CDS; that is a very good place for us to be in.
No we don’t. Goldson is a good centre half but the rest are average. Another area we need to invest in the summer.

One thing I noticed today was Worrall is a leader back there, constantly shouting and organising that defence
Said that to my mate. He is very vocal, was constantly telling Jack what was around him, when to drop back & when to press.

Said that to my mate. He is very vocal, was constantly telling Jack what was around him, when to drop back & when to press.

Yes and was dictating to the defence when to step out, when to drop back etc

I have no doubt this plays a big part in the managers selection process

Also people forget Katic has looked very shaky in his last few appearances

Yes and was dictating to the defence when to step out, when to drop back etc

I have no doubt this plays a big part in the managers selection process

Also people forget Katic has looked very shaky in his last few appearances
I’m not quite getting the Katic praise after yesterday. Poor positionally for the first goal and got turned off #36 later on. He wasn’t great.

The rumours that his attitude in training isn’t good enough make sense tbh. He was starting every week then was dropped out of nowhere (he wasn’t playing particulary badly) and now we’ve got Flanagan starting friendlys at centre half in front of him. Not quite sure how long he’ll be here for.

Need the gif for his chip from one of the European games.

Was playing with confidence, and lobbed a boy to pass the ball to Flanagan I think it was. Composed as you like.

I’m not quite getting the Katic praise after yesterday. Poor positionally for the first goal and got turned off #36 later on. He wasn’t great.

The rumours that his attitude in training isn’t good enough make sense tbh. He was starting every week then was dropped out of nowhere (he wasn’t playing particulary badly) and now we’ve got Flanagan starting friendlys at centre half in front of him. Not quite sure how long he’ll be here for.

Katic wasn’t responsible for that goal, McAuley and McCrorie were.
Katic was comfortable on the ball, constantly won possession and started attacks (4 or 5 times) and scored a good goal.
McAuley got lost for their goal and was sloppy on the ball, Worrall looked complacent on his 45 mins yesterday, although not helped by Flannagan.

Katic should be starting against Killie if Goldson is still injured.

Thought Katic got caught under the ball for the 2nd yesterday, would need to see it again though.

He has the potential that no other centre half in the squad has, give him time he will be a top player for us. He isn't ready for 50 games a season yet and we are looking out for him.

Once he is ready he will be in the first team every week.

Worrall wasn’t great yesterday, Katic did some
Good things but also a few bad. Neither are a perfect option but I’d slightly err on the side of developing our own player rather than forests.

Katic scored a goal then 2 minutes later was to blame for a goal. When he gets a chance he can't go making the basic mistakes.

I think all he needs is a run of games to get some consistency into his game but Gerrard doesn't seem to give him the leeway some other under performers get.

To be fair he was signed for the future not to be flung in the way he was so this season is a learning curve for the big man.

Katic scored a goal then 2 minutes later was to blame for a goal. When he gets a chance he can't go making the basic mistakes.

I think all he needs is a run of games to get some consistency into his game but Gerrard doesn't seem to give him the leeway some other under performers get.

To be fair he was signed for the future not to be flung in the way he was so this season is a learning curve for the big man.

Katic should do better no doubt but the situation could still have been rescued the only player to blame for that goal unfortunately was the young goalkeeper he was in no mans land but i am sure he will learn from it but if yesterday proved anything its that we should be holding onto Foderingham until the summer.

Worrall was really poor yesterday and in all honesty i was ready to see him go in Jan up until Hibs and Them at home but tbh he was not even up against a recognized striker against them Katic is our player and given the partnership he and Goldson had at the start of the season that we all were so excited about should be given more opportunity unless of course there are factors we are not privy too.

I rate Katic but it's a certainty Gerrard will bring in at least one defender in the summer. The big question does he go with Katic or bring in another first pick defender ?

Worrall has more ability than Katic, but does not have the consistency. Then again, neither does Katic. Both are capable of being very good defenders. I would say Katic’s range is from a 5 to 8 out of 10, where he will most regularly be a 7. Worrall’s is 4 to 10, he is more capable but he will regularly be a 6.

He has also had family issues to contend with....

The way Goldson and Worrall played against Celtic must mean they have the jerseys next time.
For me jury still out on Worrall what’d good game against the tims but was poor before that thought he struggled a bit yesterday.

’m not quite getting the Katic praise after yesterday. Poor positionally for the first goal and got turned off #36 later on. He wasn’t great.
He was not on field for their first goal was out of position for second though

’m not quite getting the Katic praise after yesterday. Poor positionally for the first goal and got turned off #36 later on. He wasn’t great.
He was not on field for their first goal was out of position for second though

I'm with you...it's one of the great FF fallacies. Just look at some of the comments. "He looked better than Goldson at the start of the season". Stuff that is either lies or completely dellusional.

Katic's set piece threat is a nice bonus. But his defensive failings have reared their ugly head even more regularly. I read most of the first page of this thread with people praising him, and not one mention of the ball just bouncing over him for the equaliser.

Katic is FF's "boy". It's astonishing people call Worrall a bomb scare when Katic, defensively, looks weaker.

Rooting for Katic, he is our player and i want to see him develop and become an even greater machine.

Worral played really well v Hibs and the tims but has had poor games aswell.

Back