Nikola Katić

I love Big Niko but that's the one glaring negative in his game. He gets turned far too easily at times.

Kilmarnock game at home a few weeks back as well. Killie player rolled him right before he did his hamstring shooting.

Players will make mistakes in games, even the best in the world don’t have perfect games consistently.
It is up to the rest of the team to cover when this happens.
Katic is very good at covering for others. The big Hearts striker causes trouble for most defences, if he could finish he would be at a better team than Hearts.
Katic rarely makes mistakes that causes goals, unlike Goldson and Worrall who get far too complacent at times.

A fact that not many want to realize.

It’s not about individuals.It’s about the partnership.

Katic and Goldson back together…(criminally dropped imho) played 4 won 4.

Stats don’t lie!!

What are the stats for Katic and Worrall together?

Definitely.

There's a player in there for sure. But I can never get on board with him being painted as the new Richard Gough on here.

Look above. Someone's said we could have won the league if we'd stuck with Katic and Goldson. Does anyone really believe that?

The queston for me is : - is he drastically, substantially, of even slightly better than Joe Worrall ? & imo it's a big NO to all of these categories - then there is the fact he's a young Rangers player compared to a loanee & can only improve - & I have to consider what exactly is the reason for not playing him every game ? - & although I accept he can be over - played at a young age - he is still my first & preferred choice -

Anyone can see that despite being raw , big Katic can easily go on to become an integral part of our team maybe even captain material one day .

He rarely comes off the park without a bandage or a cut nose/ear/head as his commitment is on a par with the likes of Richard Gough when it comes to putting himself in the way of things .

Once he learns not to get quite so tight that he gets turned , and a few other small areas he needs to work on , we are looking at a top , top centre half and one who is a goal threat as well.

This guy was built for Scottish football.

Reminds me of Carlos Cuellar, he will head and kick anything, not afraid of any bumps or bruises he might get in doing so. His bravery is crucial in this league and he has it in abundance.

He’s decent with the ball, he’s quick and he seems to communicate really well.

He fell out the team for a long period for an inferior defender but he has taken it exceptionally well for a young man in his debut season in a foreign league.

Good solid defender. But cant pass any better than Worral.

No idea………tell me……don’t think they played much together that I can remember?

Not sure, but think they have played 4 or 5 times together.
I remember seeing somewhere we have a really good goals against record with them together.

Absolutely immense today. That display is what a central defender should be all about. No nonsense approach, dominant in the air, strong in the challenge and a real threat in the opposing penalty area from set pieces.

Reminds me of Carlos Cuellar, he will head and kick anything, not afraid of any bumps or bruises he might get in doing so. His bravery is crucial in this league and he has it in abundance.

He fell out the team for a long period for an inferior defender but he has taken it exceptionally well for a young man in his debut season in a foreign league.[/QUOTE

It’s not a surprise we have looked more solid at the back since he came back into the 11.

I agree with most of you say mate but have to disagree with you on this one.

Who is then?

I accept FF has this Katic love in. But if he's our best defender then I don't know where that leaves us.

These comments would have you believe Katic is head and shoulders above both Worral and Goldson. Thats patently nonsense. It's absurd beyond belief.

Who is then?

I accept FF has this Katic love in. But if he's our best defender then I don't know where that leaves us.

These comments would have you believe Katic is head and shoulders above both Worral and Goldson. Thats patently nonsense. It's absurd beyond belief.

The other two are over confident and make mistakes that cost goals. They also struggle to play together and end up going for the same balls.
They also tend to slow the game down by playing balls to each other constantly.

Katic works better in a partnership with either, which to me shows his maturity as a player. He is pacier than the other two, even though he is lacking in size and strength he is more aggressive in the tackle. More of a goal threat and will carry the ball from defence into midfield to create space.
He also covers the other CH and allows them to go and win balls, if they fail to he also seems to be there to bail them out.
Goldson and Worrall most have caused about 4 or 5 goals through arsing about on the ball or banging into each other as they go for the same balls.

I can’t think of one domestic game or European game where Katic was directly responsible for a goal.

The other two are over confident and make mistakes that cost goals. They also struggle to play together and end up going for the same balls.
They also tend to slow the game down by playing balls to each other constantly.

Katic works better in a partnership with either, which to me shows his maturity as a player. He is pacier than the other two, even though he is lacking in size and strength he is more aggressive in the tackle. More of a goal threat and will carry the ball from defence into midfield to create space.
He also covers the other CH and allows them to go and win balls, if they fail to he also seems to be there to bail them out.
Goldson and Worrall most have caused about 4 or 5 goals through arsing about on the ball or banging into each other as they go for the same balls.

I can’t think of one domestic game or European game where Katic was directly responsible for a goal.

Katic has a lot of potential, sure. He also still has a lot of learning to do. He's been chopped at half time on more than one ocassion. He's played appallingly in plenty of games. Spartak Moscow, Motherwell home and away earlier in the season, Hamilton too.

The criticism of Worrall and Goldson has merit. It's clear Goldson is regarded as the senior defender though, and I think at this stage, Worrall is a better player than Katic. The observation of overconfidence definitely applies to Worrall...but at his best, he's shown more than Katic.

It's almost a moot point as we're not going to have Worrall much longer, but the majority of fans' seeming antipathy towards him has clouded judgement over him and how he stacks up in relation to Katic.

Katic has a lot of potential, sure. He also still has a lot of learning to do. He's been chopped at half time on more than one ocassion. He's played appallingly in plenty of games. Spartak Moscow, Motherwell home and away earlier in the season, Hamilton too.

The criticism of Worrall and Goldson has merit. It's clear Goldson is regarded as the senior defender though, and I think at this stage, Worrall is a better player than Katic. The observation of overconfidence definitely applies to Worrall...but at his best, he's shown more than Katic.

It's almost a moot point as we're not going to have Worrall much longer, but the majority of fans' seeming antipathy towards him has clouded judgement over him and how he stacks up in relation to Katic.

You have mentioned about 3 games , Katic has played poorly, yet he hasn’t been responsible for any goals.
Goldson and Worrall have sold many a goal this season and especially near the end of games due to their complacency.
Worrall is not anywhere near as good as Katic who I think is better in nearly every element of a CH’s game.
I think the support have seen enough good defenders esp under Walter to recognise a good CH when they see one, that is why Katic is well liked by the support.

That SG thinks Worrall is better is worrying.

It is, and I still think Gerrard will replace Katic with someone else. No idea why he would do it but he obviously doesn’t fancy him much.

I personally like having centre half who carries a goal threat, can cover well and can pass the ball 10 yards in a straight line without setting the opposition off through on goal.

The fact he hasn’t been a main stay in our team all season is criminal.

Time and time again he has been our biggest threat at attacking set pieces.

I’m utterly convinced there are games we drew this season he could have won us.

One of the issues of taking a loan player is that we contract to play them in a certain number of games. The fact that we quite literally had to play Worrall on so many occasions did not help Kaic's cause. I totally agree with your opinion.

You can’t pick a centre half based on his attacking abilities first and foremost.
I’ll possibly get chinned for my views on Tavernier but my answer is simple.
For Rangers, the full back positions are, in over 75% of our games, attacking positions.
Well, at least one will be.
Centre back is at least 90% defensive.

Sure there was talk of Katic going through a rough patch in his personal life due to homesickness and his father being in poor health when he was dropped. Think this is an important factor towards Gerrard's prioritisation of Worrall as he was protecting our own player Katic instead of putting him in the hot seat when his head's not clear.

Today was also Goldson's 50th appearance so far this season, which is an incredible achievement considering his limited game time last season after his surgery. No doubt a factor for why he's been partial to some mistakes recently.

He fell out the team for a long period for an inferior defender but he has taken it exceptionally well for a young man in his debut season in a foreign league.
Absolute. Rock today was like the player we got at start off season. Won absolute every today

Big man was immense today

Absolutely great post.
Well said.

Now I like Big Joe, I like the lad a lot, and he will always be a lad welcome back at Ibrox I hope.
But for me, Niko is simply the better footballer, and for me, we have signed a star who will eventually become a Croatian international.
We just play better football with Niko in the side.

Agreed, and the blame lies squarely with the manager for breaking up our best defensive set up in my opinion to bring in Worrall.

Follow follow feast or famine. He played well but a better team punishes a couple of errors. Of course he should have played more. He is our player and Worral suffers from brainfartitus

You can’t pick a centre half based on his attacking abilities first and foremost.
I’ll possibly get chinned for my views on Tavernier but my answer is simple.
For Rangers, the full back positions are, in over 75% of our games, attacking positions.
Well, at least one will be.
Centre back is at least 90% defensive.
Correct, there have been arguments all season about who’s better defensively between Worrall and Katic. Katic’s attacking superiority should have seen him getting the nod every time IMO.

It’s not just attacking though, it’s his determination to make sure any ball in the air is his, he’s been for us what I hoped Alves would have been.

He would know start every week in front of Worral for me.

Especially against “physical” strikers he loves the battle.

Katic gets it.
I reckon he will pitch in with 10 goals next season....they will make a difference.
Along with a quality number 10.
55 is ours next season

Ikpeazu done katic on more than 1 occassion today
This is 100% spot on.

Katic made a great start to his career but for whatever reasons he hasn't played enough games for us to really judge him.

If we are saying he is a warrior on the basis of today then we are getting carried away as are comparisons with Cuellar.

You couldn’t get anymore dramatic FF over the top than this post. Comparing Katic to Cuellar on today’s performance I’d say get your eyes checked.

Ikpeazu rolled Katic easily more than once today. He also has a knack of letting the ball bounce before going for it.

It’s an ok performance but he has so much to learn and improve from. SG obviously thinks the same as he’s been reluctant to use him all season. We all want the big man to do well but let’s not get carried away by a 6 or 7/10 performance.

I've been really impressed with the boy since his return from his "sabbatical".
He's certainly proving that he has all the attributes to be a very decent CH indeed.
I thought his career at Ibrox was almost all but dead but I'm delighted for the lad for turning it around.

Ikpeazu rolled Katic easily more than once today. He also has a knack of letting the ball bounce before going for it.

It’s an ok performance but he has so much to learn and improve from. SG obviously thinks the same as he’s been reluctant to use him all season.
Yeah he isn't perfect and if you analyze his performance you can pick up moments when he indeed was less than perfect.

By the way, are you on here after every game doing this for Big Joe?
I think you should tell us.

Back