Nikola Katic fancies Rangers' chances against Manchester United as Steven Gerrard's side await Europa League draw

BlueMeanie

RANGERS will fear no foe when the draw for the Europa League last 32 is made on Monday as Steven Gerrard’s side look to make another mark on the continent this term.

And defender Nikola Katic has set his sights on a Battle of Britain showdown with Manchester United after the Light Blues clinched their berth in the knockout rounds.

Top spot in Group G eluded Rangers on Thursday night as Young Boys snatched a draw that wasn’t enough for them to qualify but one that ensured that Porto would be seeded in the next stage.
The main aim of qualification was completed for the Gers, though. Having started out in Gibraltar way back in July, the achievement of making it out of their section cannot be underestimated.
The likes of Ajax and Inter Milan potentially lie in wait, as do Arsenal. But Croatian stopper Katic would prefer to avoid a tie with his boyhood heroes and take on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side instead.
“I would like Man United,” Katic said. “They are all good teams in the draw, but whoever comes here to Ibrox will find it really tough.

“When I was a kid I supported Arsenal, but I think we would have a chance against Man United.
“We have shown what we can do. Man United are not playing great just now. When you look at Porto, a club that is not on the same level but a similar one, we showed against them that we can play. So why not against Man United?
“It (Ibrox) is something special, with the atmosphere and everything else. When we played Legia Warsaw, I played against the striker Sandro Kulenovic, who is a team-mate of mine from the national team.
“After five minutes he said to me that he didn’t know where he was anymore. It felt like there were 100,000 people inside the stadium.
“It’s really tough for whoever comes to Ibrox and that’s why we have that record.
“I don’t know [if teams are scared of Rangers now], but I think some of the teams in our group might have thought they could go easy with us. We showed them different.
“Now we have some respect but I don’t know what the other teams want from the draw. I repeat again, however, it will tough for whoever comes here.”
The route to the last 16 of the competition could have been slightly less daunting for Rangers had they been able to hold on for a couple more minutes on Thursday evening but an unfortunate own goal from Borna Barisic denied them at the death.
Alfredo Morelos’ sixth strike in five European outings had given Gerrard’s side a deserved lead and ensured he finished as the top scorer in the group stages this term.
It wasn’t enough for victory, but the achievement and the performances overall have certainly raised Rangers’ profile as Gerrard has re-established the Light Blues on the European stage.
In the end, two wins – at home to Feyenoord and Porto - from six matches was enough for Rangers but they could easily have collected a handful more points as they competed admirably on the road and suffered their only defeat in Bern back in October.
“It was crazy,” Katic said of the way Group G unfolded. “That’s why I am disappointed. Against Porto home and away, we played football. Against Porto at home, except maybe the first 15 minutes, we played really well to win the game.
“When you play like that against Porto, who last year went out of the Champions League quarter-final against Liverpool, who went on to win it, you show that you can play football against the best teams. That’s why we are disappointed. We deserved to be at the top of the group.
“To be honest, I have spoken with Borna a few times about that (Rangers’ reputation). We agreed that we had to go to the group stage so that we deserved respect from other countries.
“When you speak with people in Croatia, if you ask them about the Scottish league, they all say ‘it’s not a good league, it’s too easy’. But now, we are showing a class of football in Europe. We are showing everyone we are a really good team. We have good quality.”
The draw on Monday will take care of itself but there are more pressing matters before and after it for Gerrard and his players to focus on.
A trip to Motherwell awaits this weekend, while the festive fixtures against Hibernian, Kilmarnock and Celtic will define the mood at Ibrox heading into the winter break.
Katic said: “It’s the life of a professional footballer that you have to play every three days. And you have to come to every game 100 per cent.
“Even if you play a team like East Fife, with all respect, like we did earlier this season, or another team from the lower leagues, you will not have a good time unless you are 100 per cent.
“If you ask the fans here if they want to win the Europa League or the domestic competition, I think 90 per cent would chose the Scottish league.
“So we have to be ready for Motherwell and go there to get three points, especially not having won in the last three games. We have to be 100 per cent to get the win.”

It's going to be tough whoever we get but they're won't be many team's wanting to face us. Bring it on

When we played Legia Warsaw, I played against the striker Sandro Kulenovic, who is a team-mate of mine from the national team.
“After five minutes he said to me that he didn’t know where he was anymore. It felt like there were 100,000 people inside the stadium.
hahahaha. well in big man. love it...he said he didnt know where he is anymore????

I don’t want a middle of the road side. A malmo with a great chance of progressing? Yes please. An Arsenal, Man U or inter? Absolutely.

Somewhere in the middle. Not for me. But let’s face it. It’s bloody great we got there.

I don’t want a middle of the road side. A malmo with a great chance of progressing? Yes please. An Arsenal, Man U or inter? Absolutely.

Somewhere in the middle. Not for me. But let’s face it. It’s bloody great we got there.
We want our best chance of winning so middle of the road side and down please. We really don't want the 'glamour' tie just yet

I've had a few but am i mad believing we have a good chance of actually getting to the last 16?

Maybe it's the ptsd like feeling from the shite since 2012 but a draw away and a home win against a lot of the last 32 teams doesn't seem outrageous anymore!

Would love United. Be a hard game no doubt but I honestly think we'll win it, the way we've been playing in Europe is sensational. As long as we don't completely shit the bed I'd fancy our chances.

They are turning a corner. Drew with Liverpool, beat Spurs, beat Man City and are gaining confidence. Avoid.
We'll see.I think the story of Utd this season will be doing quite well against the bigger teams struggling against the teams they should be beating.They've beat Chelsea, Spurs and City while not being able to win the bread and butter games regularly.

Come February Man Utd will be prioritising the EPL in that arrogant way that EPL sides in the Europa League do.

We could take them. Easy.

would like a team of 11 nikola katic's. guy has character. he personifies what it means to be a ranger.
Totally agree ; He also does his talking on the park , not just in interviews . He has a long future with The Rangers ( hopefully ) . If he does decide to stay with us , I fully expect him to be our captain one day .

Katic is actually nailing a lot in that article. He knows how the fans feel about Europe - exciting, but we want the league.

Come February Man Utd will be prioritising the EPL in that arrogant way that EPL sides in the Europa League do.

We could take them. Easy.

Think it will depend entirely on whether or not they are fighting it out with the rest of the teams round about them for top 4. If they put a run together over Christmas and New Year and manage to crack the top 4, then they may just focus on that. If the reverse happens and they slide down the table again then they might see the Europa League as the only route to Champion's League football next season.

As big a draw as possible - bow out gracefully and onto league and Scottish cup matters. I don’t think we are good enough to go on a longer run or have depth of squad to keep both domestic and Europe going.

Arsenal would be my preferred opponent

Any tie is gonna be exciting but for the most part we are reaching the limit of our current ability. But there is good money on offer for getting through.

I’d like the weakest possible opponent.

Arsenal would be fun from a tickets perspective. Their games have only looked half full, so 20 or 30k away fans might be a possibility particularly as their fans seem happy to sell on home tickets

The english teams in the draw dont know what a “hostile atmosphere is”. Some of those players will brick it. Wonder who the natsies would back in a “Battle of Britain”. Which is the lesser of the two evils?

I just wanna win #55. I don't care who we get, as long as we don't have to look back blaming extra games for costing us the league by a few points.

I’m hoping for Man U. I bet Stevie is too!

If Celtic are drawn away to an English team and they start all their IRA sh!te down there, hopefully a stadium ban at the very least!

Back