Nikola Katic

Gerrard has said he won’t play a minute this season I’m sure, Niko will be lucky to be at Ibrox next season IMO.

I love him, but his weaknesses need to be improved on to play for Rangers (distribution & charging out of position to win headers).

We have 6 defenders for 4 slots, George was ahead of him in the pecking order before his injury. However, George’s behaviour could mean he’s sold & Niko is loaned out.

Regardless, he needs minutes next season as he’s missed a year of his development and he won’t get that here.

You are spot on though, he’s played a part in our return with performances in Europe particularly that have gave us money.

See Ufa, Osijek, Danish mob & Legia mainly.

Last edited:
Gerrard has said he won’t play a minute this season I’m sure, Niko will be lucky to be at Ibrox next season IMO.

I love him, but his weakness need to be improved on to play for Rangers (distribution & charging out of position to win headers).

We have 6 defenders for 4 slots, George was ahead of him in the pecking order before his injury. However, George’s behaviour could mean he’s sold & Niko is loaned out.

Regardless, he needs minutes next season as he’s missed a year of his development and he won’t get that here.

You are spot on though, he’s played a part in our return with performances in Europe particularly that have gave us money.

His performance against Legia was probably the best individual defensive performance we've had since Cuellar in Florence.

I'd also disagree about Edmundson ever really being considered ahead of him. When both were fit and available, Niko was invariably preferred.

His performance against Legia was probably the best individual defensive performance we've had since Cuellar in Florence.

I'd also disagree about Edmundson ever really being considered ahead of him. When both were fit and available, Niko was invariably preferred.
This isn’t true mate, both were fit at the tail end of last season & Niko was dropped after the St Johnstone debacle*.

Edmundson came in for him, and performed very well on occasion.

*Niko was in the team before then, after Helander’s injury but by the time the season ended he was on the bench.

Maybe it was just Gerrard taking him out the firing line, who knows.

Agreed and SG said he will have 5 CH next season and Niko is one of them.

This isn’t true mate, both were fit at the tail end of last season & Niko was dropped after the St Johnstone debacle*.

Edmundson came in for him, and performed very well on occasion.

*Niko was in the team before then, after Helander’s injury but by the time the season ended he was on the bench.

Yeah for a short spell that's a fair point. But I did say invariably and over course of 2 seasons, I'd stand by that.

Got a big task on his hands and I think he might be edged out on loan with Edmundson sold. Gerrard says he likes to work with only 4 CBs and unless Balogun doesn't get an extension the big mans next step is games and even a loan until Christmas might work

Usually players seem to get better the longer they are out

after this season it’s more a case of the big fella really needs to step up levels if he wants to be here long term

I’m sure he can as he’s very raw and can be coached

He’s only 24 , plenty time to improve his game which up to the injury I feel he was moving in the right direction. Hope he stays as I think there is a top defender in there but he needs to stay fit.

Actually, big George been here for a year less so my 2 seasons comment not really valid. Thought he had been here for a year longer than he has.

Yeah for a short spell that's a fair point. But I did say invariably and over course of 2 seasons, I'd stand by that.
I get where your coming from, but he was on the bench quite a lot in his first season too mate so I don’t think he’s ever been nailed on first choice.

I love him, so hope he develops & is here for years to come.

Its all in the recovery for me. Katic has a huge opportunity just now to work on his positional sense and be a student of the game.

I have been a fan of his since he went full pelt into a diving header to clear his lines during one of his first preseason friendlies. Went through two guys and one of our players just to clear the danger. In Europe as some have mentioned he also had some real collosal performances for his age.

If he can kick on we have an absolute monster on our hands and I very much would want to have around.

Potentially he could be Goldsons successor.

I hope he at least gets a shot at earning a place again.

I love Katic’s attitude but he’s got to improve a fair bit to get near our defence next season. It’s no surprise to me that Goldson’s form has been much better this season with 2 experienced CH next to him. A loan down to the English Championship for a season would do Katic the world of good.

He's a player that I like but never to the extent of some on here. Which was wildly over the top at times. Used to read he was better than Goldson all through his first season, then Helander last season. Was never the case.

I think a loan move for him next season wouldn't necessarily signal the end of his Rangers career. Goldson is 28, Helander turns 28 soon and Balogun is 32.

If he's able to iron out some of his positional stuff and improve his use of the ball, there's a player there capable of making it long term with us.

Last edited:
People have short memories. Katic has had a lot of good performances under his belt.

Last season I remember a clamour for Goldson to be dropped.

I'm not sure yet where Simpson will fit in but I'd put a wedge on Edmundson going before Katic.

People have short memories. Katic has had a lot of good performances under his belt.

Last season I remember a clamour for Goldson to be dropped.

I'm not sure yet where Simpson will fit in but I'd put a wedge on Edmundson going before Katic.
Simpson will be Helander’s cover, Balogun will be Goldson’s (should he stay) IMO.

Two are going, whether it be a permanent and a loan, or two permanents.

I hope Niko goes on loan, irons out his flaws and comes back a more rounded player.

It’ll depend how well Balogun does at right back. Surely he doubles up as our cover for right back which means there’s a place for Katic. The bulk of any cash available will be spent on the midfield this summer

Simpson will be Helander’s cover, Balogun will be Goldson’s (should he stay) IMO.

I hope Niko goes on loan, irons out his flaws and comes back a more rounded player.
I think Gerrard's team are well able to coach Katic to be better. As much as I am a big fan of Balogun, I don't think he'd be here if Nico hadn't got crocked.

Anyway, time will tell.

He had some rough edges to knock off for sure with a lot of defensive learning still to work on, but what a prospect. With regular game time and the long time benefit of this coaching staff of ours I'd say he's got the potential to go way beyond the standard of Helander or Balogun.

I think Gerrard's team are well able to coach Katic to be better. As much as I am a big fan of Balogun, I don't think he'd be here if Nico hadn't got crocked.

Anyway, time will tell.
I totally agree mate, but he’s missed a year of football & development so he needs minutes.

Need to wait and see like you said.

Did he?.

I thought he said he likes to have 4, and that Niko will have missed a full year of football so will be needing minutes.

I took that as alluding to a loan.
No I’m sure he said we will need 5 next season as niko won’t be up to speed

He's a good big defender but I think we'd stepped up in terms of quality in that area I think he either gets loaned out or sold next season with Edmundson

No I’m sure he said we will need 5 next season as niko won’t be up to speed
The clip above mate, he say likes 4 but needs to assess the Katic situation as he doesn’t have a return date.

I’d be stunned if had 5 fit senior defenders next season, having two sitting in the stand would be beyond pointless.

Personally, I’d be surprised if Niko is here next season.

The clip above mate, he say likes 4 but needs to assess the Katic situation as he doesn’t have a return date.

I’d be stunned if had 5 fit senior defenders ‘etc season, having two sitting in the stand would be beyond pointless.

Personally, I’d be surprised if Niko is here next season.
Not sure where I heard but I’m positive he said they will be 5 as when the season kicks of Katie won’t be in contention due to his injury and he will come back with caution

I'll be mightily pissed off with Gerrard if he gets rid of the Prince of Croatia. Hopefully see him when we get awarded the trophy.

He's never getting regular football here next season, if Goldson, Helander and Balogun are still here.

A good loan move to improve his overall game is what he needs.

He'll only become a regular Rangers central defender if he becomes a better player.

No reason why he can't though.

He's never getting regular football here next season, if Goldson, Helander and Balogun are still here.

A good loan move to improve his overall game is what he needs.

He'll only become a regular Rangers central defender if he becomes a better player.

No reason why he can't though.
Spot on, the ‘warrior’ type of comments resonate with some posters, and as I said he has been a colossus for us in some games.

There is more to defending than booting the ball away and winning some headers though, some people don’t understand that, especially for us.

He’s only just turning 25 so plenty of time for him to develop positionally and with the ball, I think we will look to get him out to a ball playing team.

I love him as I’ve said, I’d be disappointed if he didn’t make it with us, but I’m not 100% certain that he will.

If nobody has figured out how our model works... The chances are one of Goldson or Helander will be sold, Katic has a future with us.

Don't know. But I love Niko Katic. He has some rough edges to his game, but is an absolute warrior.

Whether he has a future here remains to be seen with Goldson, Helander and Balogun all ahead of him and the boy Simpson being brought in.
I would be disappointed if this was the case.
The lad has done little wrong and is at an age where experience of the position is in its early years.
Yet I thought he often put in splendid performances.
Anyone wanting to point out the occasional mistake should remember that all defenders make errors.
Look at some of the horrors made by Helander and Goldson.

The Big Man should be part of our future in my opinion.
In Big Niko's case I am a paid-up member of The Build Back Better campaign.

I love big Niko but he’s got a mountain to climb. Goldson has went to another level, Helander is the best defender at the club and compliments Goldson perfectly, Balogun had been fantastic.

So Niko has to contend with all of that and actually finding his best form after a serious injury. But I’d love him to do it.

I love him, but his weaknesses need to be improved on to play for Rangers (distribution & charging out of position to win headers).

Edmundson was never in front of Katic in the pecking order, he was 5th out of 5.

In my opinion he attacks the ball in the air better than any other defenders we have. His distribution lets him down but he's still relatively youn, and hopefully can Improve that part of his game.

Edmundson was never in front of Katic in the pecking order, he was 5th out of 5.
By the time the season closed Katic was on the bench, and George was playing so I’d say Katic had been leap frogged.

As I said later though, maybe Gerrard was just protecting him after the mcdiarmid Park performance. I genuinely don’t know.

Not down playing Katic by any means, merely saying he didn’t appear to be ahead of Edmundson the last time they were both fit.

Last edited:
Are the 4 available we have now good enough to be our choices for a Champions League group stage providing we make it there?
Obviously we could barely improve on our domestic defensive record, we've been so solid so no need for defensive improvements when looking at that.
And Granted the CBs aren't the only players responsible for goals conceded etc but the CL is another level up from Europa.

If nobody has figured out how our model works... The chances are one of Goldson or Helander will be sold, Katic has a future with us.

If one of them are sold, then we'll definitely be signing another central defender.

Niko was back up before his injury, so he's certainly not going straight into the team as a replacement for one of them, after recovering from a major injury.

Our defence has progressed massively since Niko was last involved.

Back